PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Matrix Sells 1 million in first week

XBOX MSSC
05-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Damn that was fast....

Atari's Enter The Matrix Premieres as No. 1 Selling Video Game

Sales Surpass 1 Million Units in First Week
Enter The Matrix(TM) Sets Historical Mark by Reaching 1 Million Units Sold-Through Faster Than Any Other Movie-Based Game

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2003-- Atari's Enter The Matrix, a third-person action game that parallels Warner Bros. Pictures' and Village Roadshow Pictures' action blockbuster, The Matrix Reloaded, is the No. 1 selling video game worldwide, selling more than 1 million units in North America and Europe in the first week of availability. The game was made available in stores May 15, in conjunction with the release of The Matrix Reloaded, for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox(TM) video game system from Microsoft, the Nintendo GameCube(TM) and the personal computer. Enter The Matrix will be available in Japan on June 19.

"We are thrilled by these early sell-through numbers," said Bruno Bonnell, Chairman and CEO of IESA and Atari. "These initial sales results exemplify the power of the Wachowski Brothers' vision for the franchise. With the exceptional box office results of The Matrix Reloaded and the explosive sales of Enter The Matrix, we are witnessing the true convergence of Hollywood and gaming. This is the beginning of our sales success as we expect continued strong returns for the duration of the year, based on the success of The Matrix Reloaded and the upcoming release of The Matrix Revolutions(TM)."

"The Wachowski Brothers wanted to tell the epic story of the Matrix trilogy in multiple mediums, and Enter The Matrix is a key component in their visionary storytelling scheme," said Joel Silver, producer of the Matrix films. "The record-breaking success of both The Matrix Reloaded and Enter The Matrix is a testament to the strength of the Wachowskis' vision and game developer Shiny Entertainment's commitment to furthering their story in an incredibly innovative, visceral and exciting way."

Enter The Matrix is the No. 1 selling video game worldwide and claims a spot as one of the most explosive video game launches in history. Online and brick-and-mortar retailers have reported overwhelming sales statistics for the game, with Enter The Matrix outselling its closest competitors on PlayStation®2 by two-to-one and on Xbox(TM) by four-to-one.

Developed by award-winning Shiny Entertainment (an Atari studio), Enter The Matrix is a revolution in interactive entertainment - a third-person action game that effectively blurs the line between Hollywood blockbuster films and next generation video games. The game is directed and features a script written by the Wachowski Brothers, writers/directors of The Matrix movie trilogy, creating the most intensive collaboration between a video game publisher and a movie studio to date. The game features the same over-the-top gunplay, mind-bending martial arts, and insane driving and stunts that made The Matrix famous.

Enter The Matrix includes approximately one hour of never-before-seen footage - shot exclusively for the game - using the actors, sets and crew from the blockbuster film, The Matrix Reloaded. In addition, the game features an hour of cineractives, directed by the Wachowskis and rendered within the game engine to help tell the epic story of Enter The Matrix.

Enter The Matrix carries an estimated retail price of $49.99 and an ESRB rating "T" for Teen. More information about Enter The Matrix is available at www.enterthematrixgame.com. To learn more about The Matrix Reloaded, visit www.thematrix.com.

Source: PlanetGamecube
:watchout:

Arven
05-25-2003, 10:11 AM
All the major gaming magazines had Matrix on their cover recently. Of the three Matrix previews I read, I think only one had any cautionary note, said the gameplay wasn't that great (was it XBN?).

The game has not gotten very good reviews, but I guess the Brand Name will carry it. Marketing, baby, it's all about marketing.

MerimacHamwich
05-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Actually, in this case the mixed or bad reviews are wrong, really wrong. The game is great and word spread from friend to friend. It's awesome that this game is selling becuase it deserves the sales. At first glance it seems like a shallow movie based game. However, when you pop it into your Xbox/Gamecube/PS2/PC you soon find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.
;)

XBOX MSSC
05-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Actually, in this case the mixed or bad reviews are wrong, really wrong. The game is great and word spread from friend to friend. It's awesome that this game is selling becuase it deserves the sales. At first glance it seems like a shallow movie based game. However, when you pop it into your Xbox/Gamecube/PS2/PC you soon find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.
;)

Word...I have it for the PC and Xbox...:cheers:

l Maximus l
05-25-2003, 02:00 PM
I haven't played it yet, but, I understand the default control scheme is pretty bad. I wonder if there is a hack in the game that will allow you to manipulate the control scheme... :confused:

MerimacHamwich
05-25-2003, 02:20 PM
You can change the controls. However, I don't think it is necessary, I think they came up with a good control scheme for the game. It seems odd at first, yes, becuase you haven't used it before. When you play however it is as smooth as you could ever want.

Arrakis44
05-26-2003, 11:05 AM
i just read the addict staff review, and it seams fair. They gave credit where credit is due, but were honest in thier opions as well.

I think they are correct in saying that the controls need getting used to, i wouldnt exactly call it intuitive (spelling?).

Aside from that i enjoyed it, but i agree with addict when they say that this is really for Matrix fans.

Shadow20002
05-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Hey, i don't know but for me, the fighting style is just weird. :eek: