PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba HDTV vs XBOX

snoop53
12-07-2001, 03:21 PM
I've tried my xbox on 3 hdtvs: 2 Toshiba and 1 Sony
Using the basic xbox cable, it worked fine on the 3 tvs (of course the picture was not perfect but it was ok)
But things get worse when i used the component xbox cable (Red/Green/Blue). The picture was perfect on the Sony but was just crap on the both Toshiba (unfortunately one of the Toshiba was mine :( )

Does anybody has the same problem ?

l Maximus l
12-07-2001, 03:22 PM
Snoop...purchase some Monster 400s....you will be amazed!

snoop53
12-07-2001, 04:49 PM
well, you think that it would work fine just by changing the cable ?
That would be great but i just need to be sure before i order this cable ;)

l Maximus l
12-07-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by snoop53
well, you think that it would work fine just by changing the cable ?
That would be great but i just need to be sure before i order this cable ;)

Snoop...the difference would be like night and day. Ask Hugh_Jass and Frostberg...they are a couple dudes that I can think off the top of my head that would agree, hands down.

You see, it's like comparing a scratched up flashlight with nearly dead batteries with a brand new police officer's flashlight with new batteries. If you had one of each, by flashing them on the ground, you will get two images. The one with the Scratches and nearly dead batteries will, without a doubt, give you an image, but it will be dull compared to the bright and rich image you would see coming from the brand new police officer flashlight.

What you are trying to do is improve your video image. With Monster 400s, you can seriously see the difference. The colors will be vibrant and rich...they are about $65, but, you get what you pay for :)

Frostberg
12-07-2001, 10:15 PM
I agree with Maximus, hands down! Anyway Maximus is a pretty smart guy and I think you should listen to him. The HD AV pack MS sells isint really anything special. I have gone through everything and now that I get to play Halo online, Monster Cable Gamelink 400 X cables make my free time extra fun. If you have a dolby digital 5.1 setup, make sure to get the gamelink 100 x optical adapter...if you dont have a digital receiver with optical inputs or use your TV speakers (shame on you!) you need to get a nice receiver with a digital optical input. You will be amazed with games like halo...and every future XBox game...

snoop53
12-08-2001, 12:25 AM
i'll listen to you guys, i'm gonna try this cable very soon
thx for your help :)

Hugh_Jass
12-08-2001, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by snoop53
I've tried my xbox on 3 hdtvs: 2 Toshiba and 1 Sony
Using the basic xbox cable, it worked fine on the 3 tvs (of course the picture was not perfect but it was ok)
But things get worse when i used the component xbox cable (Red/Green/Blue). The picture was perfect on the Sony but was just crap on the both Toshiba (unfortunately one of the Toshiba was mine :( )

Does anybody has the same problem ?

I agree that quality cables can make a difference but even regular component cables shouldn't look like crap on your Toshiba. I would make sure you can return those Monster Cables in case you try them and they don't help. I think your problems run deeper than your cable selection.

Haine
12-08-2001, 04:20 PM
Got a link for those cables?

Hugh_Jass
12-08-2001, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Haine
Got a link for those cables?

http://www.monstercables.com/

huskerman
12-12-2001, 06:00 PM
I will be getting the samsung 65" widescreen hdtv sometime in the next 6 months and I simply cannot wait. I need to find the 5500 dollars, so I guess I have to wait.

Frostberg
12-12-2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by huskerman
I will be getting the samsung 65" widescreen hdtv sometime in the next 6 months and I simply cannot wait. I need to find the 5500 dollars, so I guess I have to wait.
Lucky...

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 10:23 AM
i bought the hdtv cables...and the picture quality was the same or worse on my 27'' sony wega. Should i expect a little better picture if i get the monster cables? I know my tv isn't an hdtv but the composite cables should give a better picture and sound quality just from the amount of data it sends to the tv.

kirkyg

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 11:31 AM
I actually have the S-Video Advanced A/V Pack for my set up. I have compared the RCAs with them and I actually see a pretty obvious difference. The colors are richer with the Advanced A/V Pack and the sound quality is definately better.

I hear that some people can't see the difference...which, to me is a little strange...but, I guess it depends on the TV, perhaps. I'm not quite sure. I have a 36" Toshiba S-Video TV...I love it! It definately will tie me over until I purchase my future HDTV :D

Hugh_Jass
12-13-2001, 12:26 PM
As the size of your screen increases the differences become more noticeable. Maybe the people who don't notice a difference between composite and S-Video are playing on 27" screens.

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
As the size of your screen increases the differences become more noticeable. Maybe the people who don't notice a difference between composite and S-Video are playing on 27" screens.

You know, that's an excellent point. Also, I think a major difference would also appear between a Tube and HDTV and Plasma screens. It's vital to have the right cables...they are what gives the scream to audio and the glistening to the video :)

WebToker
12-13-2001, 01:44 PM
It looks great on my Toshiba just using the Microsoft HD AV pack. I have also used the composite cables and they look great as well. FYI, Toshiba 50H81.

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 02:34 PM
Well the audio shouldnt be any different for either AV, S-Video, or Component inputs because they all use the same R/L RCA inputs...so the sound quality wont be any different unless you get the optical adapter (100 X) for say the Monster Cables.

Hugh_Jass
12-13-2001, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
Well the audio shouldnt be any different for either AV, S-Video, or Component inputs because they all use the same R/L RCA inputs...so the sound quality wont be any different unless you get the optical adapter (100 X) for say the Monster Cables.

The Advanced and HD AV Packs support Dolby Digital 5.1 (an optical connection).

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 04:23 PM
True, but I was talking about Monster Cables because some people seem to think that if the video is better, so the sound must be also...but it isint unless you get the adapter, on in the case of the MS packs, it is already included and you just need a toslink cable