PDA

View Full Version : D@mn Mom!

bretman1234
05-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Anyone else ever get ur mom takin away ur xbox? Ya well im a sophomore in high school this year and my school year is about 3 or 4 weeks from over. I got my progress report last week and there was an F on it, but it was just cuz that class is mad hard. Yet my mom still freaked out and took my box from me. I dont know what to do. She said its gone until the end of school, but thats too far away. Brute Force JUST CAME OUT today and I need to play it! Yet playin it at a friends house is not an option. Any suggestions?!?!?

This ever happened to anyone? What did u do?

sabca
05-28-2003, 09:09 PM
I don't know, I suppose when I was younger my mom would ban me from the computer for a week or something. I'd usually just go for a walk, watch TV or play soccer or something instead.

Series3
05-28-2003, 09:20 PM
I'd get my grades up.

bretman1234
05-28-2003, 09:21 PM
MY GRADES ARE UP NOW!!! thats the thing, she still wont give it back. ******!

MidniteArrow
05-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Good for her - glad to hear a mother is doing her job. Relax man, get your grades up (and keep them up), and you will have a much better gaming future. There's a time for work, and a time for play. Sounds like you were spending some of that work time playing. At this stage in your life, work time needs to be prioritized - after college, play time will be the priority. Trust me, it's worth the investment of your time.

Series3
05-28-2003, 09:30 PM
You could always wait for your mom to come out of her room, and as soon as she walks out, nail her with the sweet chin music, HBK style. Then walk in and get your Xbox. Thats what I'd do, anyhow.

bretman1234
05-28-2003, 09:32 PM
good plan, but she actually brought my xbox to her work. With halo in it! does anyone know if this is a risk of the disc getting scratched? cuz it doesn't sound too good. Anyway, I'm tryin with the grades goin up thing and she still doesn't wanna give it back so im screwed.

CarGuy
05-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Looking back (i just finished college) my best grades were during the periods where i gamed the least. Good for your mom, but if she's like most moms you'll get it back eventually. :)

canadianboi3
05-28-2003, 09:55 PM
My grades have soared ever since not playing Xbox as much. I seriously haven't played Xbox in over a month, and every class mark has gone up at least 6 percent.

Kortiz
05-29-2003, 01:53 AM
You'll thank your mom later.

MerimacHamwich
05-29-2003, 02:20 AM
I am a first year in college and gaming pretty much ruined my first year. My marks were horrible. :cry:
I regret it so much now.
Gaming has such a small importance in your life that it really isn't worth your time if you are failing in something important. Seriously, forget gaming for a while and do good in school. When summer vacation comes around, game all you want. When the school semester rolls back get into studying again. Seriously, like Midnite said, learning is the penultimate activity in a young persons life. If you don't learn and do well in school then you will endup working for hte rest of your life. If you take those 16 or so years of your life and apply yourself, then you will get at least 40 years to play. Think about it. Sacrificing some of your childhood for school work is worth it in the long run. You may "lose" 16 years but you then basically have 40+ years for fun.

Kraft
05-29-2003, 03:20 AM
Gaming AND the internet. You won't believe how easy it is to be in college, working on a project... then you decide to take a break and use the net... to find out your time has disappeared. Im not saying give up gaming and internet and stuff all together, but you need to learn to take stuff in moderation.

Diddy
05-29-2003, 10:45 AM
My mom does that to me too and im a sophamore in HS. And for me its not really playing, its studying i can play and study and have good grades, its just i dont study and i only play. Lol when i get home from school, 2:30 2:40 EST, i boot up the box and play till bout maybe 4 or 4:30 then i got watch TV. If i would study instead of watching TV or playing i would have higher grades, not that they're THAT bad now, nothing lower than C's.

I say try to convince your mom that you can handle playing WHEN YOU HAVE FREE TIME AFTER STUDYING, and that YOU WILL STUDY. Most likely, if this isnt the first time, she'll buy in, BUT dont let her down now.

Duke
05-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Consider yourself lucky. There was a semester in HS where I let my partying (wasn't really much of a gamer back then) get out of control and pulled an F in a class. Without going into detail, my punishment was much worse than having video games taken away.

There isn't really any excuse to get an F, even if it is hard. It basically means the student gave absolutely no effort. In HS they WANT you to succeed, and they don't relish failing you (even if it seems like it sometimes). Really, I don't see why anybody (with the exception of learning disabilities or other uncontrollable factors) shouldn't be able to at least pull straight B's.

RudedogX
05-29-2003, 11:57 AM
As has been said, your mom is doing something that believe it or not, will benefit you later. So you have to lose the gaming rights for now, in the future, you'll be able to play that much more, and with that much extra dough from a good job.

Brnthngs
05-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Dude, trust us, we are a little bit older, and no matter what your mom does w/ your video games, she's doing it for a good reason. I have a hard time concentrating when something else is in the room to distract me, so I can totally relate w/ having your stuff taken away. My parents used to do it to me. It sucks, and you'll be upset for the moment, but it will all work out in the long run. It's not as important as you think it is. And as for your Halo game in the box at work, it should be fine as long as it is inside, and not in her trunk bouncing around and stuff. I'm glad that your parents are taking an active interest in your school work. It's a good sign. Good luck in school, you'll be gaming again before you know it.

bretman1234
05-29-2003, 03:54 PM
ya my grades are getting tons better, but they were getting tons better even b4 she got rid of it. Like when I got that progress report, I was like "whoa... thats deffinately not good!" So then I played for maybe a half an hour a day on weekdays, and then did all school work, and then when i was finished i just like watched tv and went to bed. But the main reason she took it away was cuz i had a friend sleep over on a friday night and we were up till 2:30 playin. I know that doesn't sound late, but i guess my mom didn't really like that. My friend accidentally knocked something over on our way upstairs, and we were busted. Anyway, I see where u are all coming from, and I have been improving immensely. But the problem im having with it is that she is taking it away for good, which means no weekends too. I guess I'll just have to wait it out, but im a little disappointed i couldn't at least play it on friday nights and saturdays. But w/e as i mentioned b4, ill get over it. Thanks for all your help guys!

Zonza
05-30-2003, 10:49 AM
I know how feel bretman, I let my gaming get in the way of school and know i'm screwed for the rest of the summer. :cry:

I have two d's right know and theres no possible way for me to pull them up in the week of school that is left. My mom will end up taking away my xbox and computer for the whole summer as punishment.:cry:.

Next year i just have to work my @$$ off and get some good grades. I'm a sophmore and have really messed up my GPA these last two years by slacking off.

my suggestion is to forget about games and focus on your school work. you'll regret it if you don't

No Fear 23
05-30-2003, 02:08 PM
i've always play games everyday and it still dosent interfer with my skool work. however, whenever i have hw, i always have alot of free time in community service (its like study hall) and i always finish it in time, and if i dont, i always come home and do my hw first then play after. try to do your hw and school work first and when your done, u'll realized that u have the rest of the nite to play games or do whatever you want. somehow my mom dosent think that i am doing my homework and thinks that my grades are falling. but its not, its staying the same as always. 3 A's 2 b's and i never had a C D or F on my report card. welll maybe 1 C when i was taking this hard AP class :cuss: . but its all good. the whole point is that skool comes first before play time.

JADE8704
05-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by No Fear 23
i've always play games everyday and it still dosent interfer with my skool work. however, whenever i have hw, i always have alot of free time in community service (its like study hall) and i always finish it in time, and if i dont, i always come home and do my hw first then play after. try to do your hw and school work first and when your done, u'll realized that u have the rest of the nite to play games or do whatever you want. somehow my mom dosent think that i am doing my homework and thinks that my grades are falling. but its not, its staying the same as always. 3 A's 2 b's and i never had a C D or F on my report card. welll maybe 1 C when i was taking this hard AP class :cuss: . but its all good. the whole point is that skool comes first before play time.

me too...i play my xbox after i knoe i'm done with all my school work...nah just playing...i play my xbox till like 11 or 12 in the morning, then i work on homework...so far it hasn't affected my grades....im the worst procrastinator there is....

i guess it works for different people....just be sure to manage your time wisely if your gaming affects your schooling...you don't want to be 25 and dumb as a doorknob. work. then play. :)

chili325
05-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Im a sophomore in hs. and yeah....ive gotten my xbox taken away. Its kinda funny though, when u realize how much time everyone wastes on games, look at people with thouasands of posts. So much time...for virtual reality? for what! Im basically defining hypocracy right now cuz i spend so much time playin and readen about games, but remember how easy it is to forget your priorities and base your schedule around that. For the time being....i suggest u go print out an article about that recent study proving that video games sharpen mind skills. Dont be to pushy...they dont like to lose...but make sure she knows (even if not true) that u dont care to much bout ur xbox and can easily waste as much time playin sports or sumthing else. Good luck.