PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Rumors

RudedogX
06-02-2003, 08:28 AM
OK, I've been thinking about this ever since E3, and figured I'd make a thread about rumors surrounding most of the big videogame systems and videogame publishers...

What I hope to do from this is to eliminate unsubstantiated rumors from those that have either some basis of fact (i.e. news from a reputable source).

So, let me start with a few...

EA won't make games for XBox Live due to them wanting MS to shut down the service to each year's games at the start of the new game's release.(i.e. 2004 comes out, EA would want to shut down all service to the 2003 games)

3rd party controllers and products are always inferior to 1st party (I for one haven't experienced this, so I will say this is a rumor).

Gamecube has absolutely no online plan in place to be implemented at a future date.(from their presentation at E3, I would say fact, but again...it's unsubstatiated).

Sega is being bought out or following in the footsteps of EA, by letting them publish and in turn run their marketing strategy (preventing them from ever creating another Xbox Live game).

Ubisoft is becoming the big powerhouse among gamers. (nothing but opinion here, but you look at what they are coming out with, it's hard to argue).

Feel free to add to the list or post articles refuting the statements or showing why they are fact.:cheers:

Chaotic
06-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Well the only one i can think of is that new system called Phantom i believe was the name of it, basically it's going to take the path of 3DO. Weren't they supposed to have a sample of it at this years E3 :huh:

Brevity
06-02-2003, 08:46 AM
Ubisoft may host servers for Rainbow Six 3 or Raven Shield for the Xbox.

RudedogX
06-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Brevity
They're both the same game, but I've heard this too. Also, this was actually mentioned by the developers at E3. Of course, things change between E3 and release, so who knows.

Casper
06-02-2003, 08:55 AM

I don't think this is true, mainly due to one of the reason's that rude left out from the EA bit. EA also wants exclusive control of the servers, something MS will not let them have, which is another main reason why they will not be doing XBL. As for Ubi, what I do believe it means as they will not be hosting servers, but rather there will be dedicated servers for RS3 - but hosted by MS. If MS does let Ubi host their own dedicated servers, well, then they totally went against their word.

Brevity
06-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX

They're both the same game, but I've heard this too. Also, this was actually mentioned by the developers at E3. Of course, things change between E3 and release, so who knows.
I knew it was the same game thats why I put both names so ppl would know. I did it in a way that it was unclear though, thanks. Wow I really hope RS3 will have dedicated servers no matter who does them, also I hope the same thing for HALO 2.

Again SORRY.

RudedogX
06-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Nother Rumor= XBA is making a FPS where you play a mod and you kill all joy.:p
Here we go
RDX burries head in hands repeating...WHY?!?:cuss:

Kraft
06-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX

Here we go
RDX burries head in hands repeating...WHY?!?:cuss:

I don't know... brevity, when I talked to you I was including stuff like this. Making fun of regular members is bad enough. Making fun of mods is just stupid as they can ban you.

Kraft
06-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage
Well the only one i can think of is that new system called Phantom i believe was the name of it, basically it's going to take the path of 3DO. Weren't they supposed to have a sample of it at this years E3 :huh:

Don't compare that to the 3DO... at least the 3do actually existed and there were a few good games for it. Hell, I'm even planning on picking up a 3do sometime and those good games, just to have them :)

RudedogX
06-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Well, so far, I've seen at least two rumors discussed (and look to be squashed), so that's a plus, but this is the biggest I still have...

EA won't make games for XBox Live due to them wanting MS to shut down the service to each year's games at the start of the new game's release.(i.e. 2004 comes out, EA would want to shut down all service to the 2003 games)

Are there any articles that actually state this? I haven't found one, and if it is true, then it provides every gives the consumer every reason to truly boycott their games.

Brevity
06-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

I don't know... brevity, when I talked to you I was including stuff like this. Making fun of regular members is bad enough. Making fun of mods is just stupid as they can ban you.
Hay very sorry, for real. The last thing I wanted to do was to offend. I thought it was so general and silly that it would not bother NE one. I do not wish to start NE ill feelings here, it was a simple joke, something that was so far out there that it could never be true or NE thing.:cheers:

Fred Gasman
06-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Here's a rumor for ya! The next wave of xboxs will supposedly have flat tops. Flat tops for stacking? If so, stacking what?
Hmmm?

Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

Making fun of mods is just stupid as they can ban you.
No offence, but that picture in your sig makes it kind of hard not to make fun of you.
Nothing personal ...... I hope!!
http://www.ldpride.net/images/scared.gif
Don't ban me, I like you.

LynxFX
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
This perhaps deserves its own thread but I'll post it here.

Some excerpts from an article on EA and Live.

EA Pres.-COO John Riccitiello later told analysts “the reason we’re not supporting Xbox Live in our judgment is in the short term, it doesn’t look good, and in the long term it could theoretically have very bad strategic consequences for our profitability on that platform, where we own the consumer [experience] directly [without] an intermediary and frankly that there’s” way EA can charge customer some kind of fee. He said: “It’s hard to believe the consumer will give us a fee after having already paid Microsoft a fee. So, we need to shift that [business] model and we’re working with Microsoft to see that that happens.”

But Microsoft Xbox Live Gen. Mgr. Cameron Ferroni said his company was convinced it could “succeed without them” in online console gaming. He said revenue wasn’t real issue, asking rhetorically what kind of revenue EA and other 3rd-party publishers were getting via PS2 online strategy. As for EA’s fear of having Microsoft steal away its customers, Ferroni said: “They’ve got full access to the customer, so that [issue] never made any sense [and is] not an issue as far as I’m concerned.” He also predicted: “Ultimately, they’ll come around and do the right thing for gamers.”

Although EA and Microsoft executives said they would continue to discuss online issue, EA made it clear that it saw enough significant opportunities via Sony’s more 3rd-party-friendly PS2 online gaming initiative that it wasn’t concerned at this point what it might be losing with absence from Xbox Live.

So basically EA is pist off because they don't make any money with Live, as in fees. They want to charge fees! They feel that since people already pay MS a yearly subscription fee, that no one will pay again to EA, which I think is pretty much true. Why should we pay them?

EA completely blows when it comes down to what is actually best for the gamer. They are the spoiled rich kid that doesn't care what or who is on the baseball card, just as long as they have them all.

I don't have a link to the full article but it was dated: WEDNESDAY, MAY 28, 2003 CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DAILY

Kraft
06-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Fred Gasman

No offence, but that picture in your sig makes it kind of hard not to make fun of you.

All that picture says is "I went to e3 and posed with hot models. What did YOU do last week?"