PDA

View Full Version : Need "TV for Gaming" Advice

Tim
06-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I can't compete with my wife for the TV anymore. She must watch her reality shows! So, I have decided to buy a smaller TV for the den exclusively for Xbox gaming.

After researching several TV's, I am very close to deciding on an Apex 20" Flat screen, about $179 at Circuit City. I don't want to spend anymore than this and would like to spend less.

Does anyone have an opinion on this TV or another suggestion for a good gaming TV?

Thanks for your help!!

MerimacHamwich
06-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Stay away from Sony. They are overpriced and usually are overhyped in the performance aspect. I'd say check out a Hitachi and/or a Panasonic.

carlbme
06-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Sony's WEGA series are great and you can't compete with the picture quality. However, it does come at a price. As far as cheap ones go...

*shrugs*

Dunno.

Although if it were me I'd save up for a few months and get a smaller HDTV to get the full effect of the Xbox.

MerimacHamwich
06-02-2003, 07:48 PM
I have to disagree with you carlbme. Every Sony TV I have seen has had really bad scan lines. Meaning they are obvious to the naked eye, this is not a good thing. It ruins the picture quality, To be honest my Sears TV has the best picture quality of any non-hdtv tube tv I have ever seen. Its great, the scan lines are not noticable to the naked eye, except when at extremely close ranges. Its getting old now though and the TV needs to be realigned/reset. Seriously, if you look around you will be surprised at what you will find.

VenoM
06-02-2003, 08:05 PM
i to have a problem...my tv went bad yesterday...everything has a gloden tint to it now..looks even worst on games :( so now i have to see how im gonna get a new tv...ive been looking at walmart and walmart has an apex also but its 27" instead of 20"..its not flat screen but normal screen...but its under 200 bucks and looks nice..im considering it...heres the link if ya wanna take a look at it

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2164255&cat=4560&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3987%3A3996%3A4560

its cheap and looks cool....i dont have a ton of money so something like this will have to do for me...right now im using my back up old tv which my computer monitor is even bigger then that junk...doesnt even have av inputs :cry:

MerimacHamwich
06-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
i to have a problem...my tv went bad yesterday...everything has a gloden tint to it now..looks even worst on games :( so now i have to see how im gonna get a new tv...ive been looking at walmart and walmart has an apex also but its 27" instead of 20"..its not flat screen but normal screen...but its under 200 bucks and looks nice..im considering it...heres the link if ya wanna take a look at it

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2164255&cat=4560&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3987%3A3996%3A4560

its cheap and looks cool....i dont have a ton of money so something like this will have to do for me...right now im using my back up old tv which my computer monitor is even bigger then that junk...doesnt even have av inputs :cry:

Just sounds like it needs to be reset or whatever. You could probably bring it to a TV repair shop and get it working like new for 50$.

bretman1234
06-02-2003, 08:15 PM
I feel your pain. I have to play on a 1981 Zenith. No av inputs and the screen is messed up: the colors are all wrong. The worst part is that i make tons of money and my parents wont even let me buy one. That TV that you found looks WAY cool and I even showed it to my mom. But she just said that she wont let me spend my money on that "stupid X thingy". Geesh......:(

JR Alberda
06-02-2003, 11:35 PM
I got you all beat on age, but mine still has the right colors etc. Its an RCA ColorTrak, made in probably around 1970 or so. It turns on by itself and is incased in a wooden set. This thing is vintage. I just hope it hold out until I move out in the fall.

Sodacider
06-02-2003, 11:42 PM
ATI Radeon All In Wonder (as low as 7500)

and a 19" + monitor

you will NOT be disappointed

Still use TV for big gatherings but you'll probably have your big one then. Solo play, your monitor can't be beat because it's crisp and you can get full res from an All In Wonder

Tim
06-03-2003, 08:49 AM
VenoM:

Thanks Bro! That looks like a great TV at Walmart. I will definatley take a closer look at it at my local store when I make my final decision. I'm just not sure if I should go with a smaller flat screen vs. a bigger screen that isnt' flat.

Dream Theater
06-04-2003, 04:58 AM
Well, as far as getting your tv fixed, I repaired them for years with my electronics class and it sounds like one of your color circuits went. Tubes usually die slow. No, a breaker does not reset a problem with a set, only a surge. My friend had the same dillema BIGGER vs SMALL & FLAT. I would go small and flat. Go with the best picture, at least an s-video input. I have the 5.6" xbox screen for one of my xboxes. It was 150.00 but worth it if your looking directly down on it. It also works with any other game device or ??? you plug into it. I love it. I also have a 36" s-video TV that my other Xbox is plugged into that looks great.

I'd say get the Intec game screen. It's got a great picture and plays movies and everything else. Plug vcr's or anything into it. It's also portable so you can take it anywhere. and besides, it's great for system link play on another set in the house.

l Maximus l
06-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Hey, Tim...

If you want a brilliant picture, regardless of the size of the TV, make sure it has Component Video inputs. The video inputs are colored "Blue, Green, and Red"...and the audio, of course, are usually white and red (for stereo).

Component Video gives you 800 dots of resolution per square inch and XBox games appear wicked cool! Things that seemed fuzzy before are crystal clear. It's definately worth it. The TV doesn't have to be flat.

Personally, I don't buy into the flat tubes at all. I figure, if a person is willing to dish out the extra money for a flat TV, they might as well as go all the way with an HDTV which has a far more superior picture than any tube (unless it's a HDTV tube, of course :D)

natewebb
06-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Tim
I can't compete with my wife for the TV anymore. She must watch her reality shows! So, I have decided to buy a smaller TV for the den exclusively for Xbox gaming.

After researching several TV's, I am very close to deciding on an Apex 20" Flat screen, about $179 at Circuit City. I don't want to spend anymore than this and would like to spend less.

Does anyone have an opinion on this TV or another suggestion for a good gaming TV?

Thanks for your help!!

Dude, that's like my wife exactly. You coulnd't pay me enough to watch her shows, they are soo boring. I bought a 2nd tv but what sucks is, if I want to use the big TV with 5.1 system, I have to send my wife to Walmart. She wont come back for 4-5 hours. I bought a 2nd power&AV cord so my xbox is "hot swappable" in both rooms.

Tim
06-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Maximus,

Thanks for the input.

I checked out the TV I am interest in. It does have have component video inputs, but it is not HD.

Should I still get the High Definition AV Pack? Or, should I get the Advanced AV Pack? I really don't know the difference.:(

l Maximus l
06-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Tim
Maximus,

Thanks for the input.

I checked out the TV I am interest in. It does have have component video inputs, but it is not HD.

Should I still get the High Definition AV Pack? Or, should I get the Advanced AV Pack? I really don't know the difference.:(

If your new TV has Component Video Inputs (Colored Blue, Green, and Red), then definately get the High Definition A/V pack. You technically won't get high definition, however, the High Definition A/V pack is the only pack by Microsoft that has the Blue, Green, and Red video cables (called Component). You're set once you pick up a set of those bad boys :D

l Maximus l
06-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I see that Lynxfx-XBA is in this room now...lol...I know he'll want to add his input :D hehe

LynxFX
06-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Just to clarify Maximus' otherwise great post, component inputs have nothing to do with resolution. So you don't gain anything there just by the cables. But to achieve HD res you will need component or DVI inputs, but like you have found out, there are non-HDTV sets that have component inputs.

To answer your question, yes you will still want to buy the HD AV pack. You won't be playing with High Definition but you will have the best image quality you can get on a standard def tv. Component video seperates out the colors across three cables.

And flat is always better than concaved. :wink: Just run a geometry test pattern and you will see why.

Good luck with your new tv.

MerimacHamwich
06-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Yeah, like Lynx said. The component cables give you the best video transfer. There is little to no intereference between the video and audio and the colours are seperated into the 3 basic colors of our known universe.

The proper scale is ROYGBIV
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
I..Forget this one
Violet

So when they come out with cables like that it will be the ultimate video transfer but for now they have 3 basic colors, which is good.
Yellow
Green
Blue

Worst to best video transfer.
UHF
RF
Coaxial(Cable TV cable)
RCA
S-Video
Component
DVI
I may be missing some or whatnot.
:)

bretman1234
06-05-2003, 09:26 PM

wait so this tv's flatscreen? and its only 189?!? I am also looking for a new tv, and i want one that is big and cheap... lol. Well i really dont care if its flatscreen, but for 189 bucks u can't beat it. If anyone finds any better deals, for a bigger tv than 27 inches, please notify me via PM

l Maximus l
06-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

The proper scale is ROYGBIV
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
I..Forget this one
Violet

I is for Indigo :)

l Maximus l
06-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
And flat is always better than concaved. :wink: Just run a geometry test pattern and you will see why.

Yes, flat is technically better, however, for the money for a quality flat screen, one might as well as save a few more bucks and go with HDTV instead. Know what I mean, dewd!? :D

bretman1234
06-08-2003, 10:35 AM
I finally got enough dough to buy that TV from walmart that was posted earlier. Should I pull the trigger? Does anyone see any better deals around?
Thanks

bretman1234
06-08-2003, 04:35 PM
bump

VenoM
06-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by bretman1234
I finally got enough dough to buy that TV from walmart that was posted earlier. Should I pull the trigger? Does anyone see any better deals around?
Thanks

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2123650&cat=4560&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3987%3A3996%3A4560

theres another i have my eye on...about 54 bucks extra (compared to the apex 27in at walmart) its a flat screen 27in and has component video inputs :watchout: its a new one added to the tv's at wallmarts

LynxFX
06-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Yes, flat is technically better, however, for the money for a quality flat screen, one might as well as save a few more bucks and go with HDTV instead. Know what I mean, dewd!? :D

Just so I know we are on the same page, I'm talking flat as in picture tube flat, and not flat panel or plasma. I think we are talking the same but just wanted to make sure. :)

But going to a flat screen isn't much more as the $189 tv he found above proves. Going to HDTV however, jumps the price a bit more than a few more bucks, as the cheapest HDTV is running around $700, give or take. ;)

06-08-2003, 10:43 PM
I was in the same boat as you, and I got the 24" Apex from Circuit City for $169. I think it's a bit cheaper now, and it has S-video input. It's not the best, but it's good for gaming. I love it.

Tim
06-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input! Today is my birthday and my wife surprised be with a new TV in the bonus room (ain't marriage great!) She got me the Apex 20" flat tube with component and S-Video inputs. (I wonder if she was looking through my TV research file) :watchout: I'll let you know tomorrow how it looks!!

ARONO129
06-09-2003, 09:13 AM
A 20" TV is a good size. I bought a 20" Samsung. Awesome picture. I prefer it to my 32" RCA (7 years old) but still good.

Brutus
06-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Do you guys realize the worth of an APEX anything?! Have you seen like the quality of any of there other products!? I still remain a huge sceptic of the APEX brands of products.

Mine was cheaper than their's too! Its a GE 32" with S-video, and Picture in picture! How is it cheaper you may ask. Because I bought it used! Get the most for your money!

I went to my local pawn shop and seen it priced at $225. I haggled them all the way down to $100, even! I stole it from them. And it came with a pimp @$$ RCA remote with a light up screen which works perfectly with the dvd-playback kit and my home theater system. It makes me more than happy, and I'm glad that I passed up the 20" APEX because even I checked em' out.

The GE is also just a '96. Not to shabby I say for the performance and most importantly, the price!

So if your looking for the best at the best price and on a budget that sucks, go down to your local Sunset Strip!

VenoM
06-11-2003, 10:18 PM
well...just got me a new tube today :D got this one

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2123650&cat=4560&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3987%3A3996%3A4560

:) i love it, the best thing about it is i only really paid 92 bucks for it :p gonna play some wolfy in a little bit to test run it :D it has component video inputs ....what should i get for better picture.... is this the cable i should get http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801331
im no tv expert so help me out guys....what should i get in order to use the component video inputs which is the best vid quality?...i know hdtv is but whats the best besides hdtv?

prakeem
06-12-2003, 03:17 AM
I bought an Apex 20 inch TV from best buy for my Xbox. So far, no problems, and it works great!

bigbcstunna
06-12-2003, 10:59 AM
ok what you are going to want to go for is a daewoo 20" flat screen with componet video then go get some monster cables and this equals an amzeing picture with great sound!
best buy soud have a daewoo tv.

bretman1234
06-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Here is my TV:
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0668671889.1055444596@@@@&BV_EngineID=cciiadciihdmfldcehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=ELEC&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=&pid=05747331000

it is awesome for xbox, and its got a great remote too. In sears, they had a bunch of these set up with xbox's attached showing us that its THE tv for xbox.

nycgamer
06-12-2003, 02:21 PM
I would agree that Panasonic is a good brand, and even though a flat screen is "cool" to look at and saves space, you can get a standard TV with a much bigger screen for the same money - and if you're like me, you want a bigger picture for your games.

MerimacHamwich
06-12-2003, 02:35 PM
well...just got me a new tube today :D got this one

:) i love it, the best thing about it is i only really paid 92 bucks for it :p gonna play some wolfy in a little bit to test run it :D it has component video inputs ....what should i get for better picture.... is this the cable i should get http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801331
im no tv expert so help me out guys....what should i get in order to use the component video inputs which is the best vid quality?...i know hdtv is but whats the best besides hdtv?
There is something you should know here. TV's cannot change resolution, well regular tube TV's cannot. Therefor you will always be getting a 480i image. No matter what cables you get you will have that resolution. I was under the impression before that if you used S-Video cables the resolution would up to 480p but now I am pretty sure I was wrong.
Continuing on, the different picture qualities in general you can get are as follows:
480i - regular television.
480p - EDTV (Enhanced Defintion Television), can be attained by using S-Video, Component, or DVI cables. As well as an HDTVready or true HDTV. However, with an HDTV ready television the source of the image will need to be broadcasting in 480p to obtain the 480p resolution.
720p - HDTV, can be attained by using Component or DVI cables. An HDTV Ready or HDTV television is needed. Same broadcasting rules apply.
1080i - HDTV, can be attained the same way as 720p.

However, seeing as you only have a tube television those do not apply to you. What you will be looking for is the best cables for video transfer. The cables will not up your resolution, as I said before, however they can provide better video and audio transfer resulting in better colors due to less intereference from outside sources.

Video Transfer cables, best to worst:
DVI (Not normally found on regular televisions, only on HDTV Ready and HDTV television sets.) - Video Only
Component - Video Only
S-Video - Video Only
RCA - Video and Audio transfer
Coaxial/Cable TV cable - Video and Audio
RF
UHF

I posted more detailed information on why the cables are better in an earlier post in this thread. Look for it.

In your case I would just use RCA or S-Video cables. There really is no need to go Component. You won't notice a huge difference if any at all. The Xbox comes with RCA cables so you won't have to buy the Advanced AV pack like you do with S-Video.

MixMasta
06-12-2003, 02:39 PM
I have a 65" Mitibushi 1080i Widescreen HDTV, and I have had it for going on 5 years in the fall. My dad bought it when it first came out for about 6,000 + 1,000 for the set box. We used to only get ABC/NBC/UPN/FOX/PBS/CBS, but 2 years ago we picked up the a Mitibushi Direct TV set and replaced our RCA Direct TV with this new HDTV compatible eliptical dish, and now I have some of the other HDTV channels such as ESPN, and Showtime and HBO. The best thing is the TV is practically my own, considering I'm the only one who uses the basement, so It's me, and my Xbox in glorious HDTV gaming. It pays to have parents that buy stuff like TV's, cause damn are they expensive. I don't know why I posted that, just felt like bragging I guess....hmmm, that Apex Flatscreen would go good in my room, for when I move my Xbox up here, right now I currently have a 27" POS Hallmark(wtf,never even heard of this brand!!) and a crappy Pelican RF adapter that makes the sound ****ed up on my Xbox when I play it. Now I just have to find 200 bucks.......

Tim
06-12-2003, 04:52 PM
I got the TV up and running! Sweet! Picture looks awesome!! I know there has been some sceptisism on the Apex brand, but so far so good! If I have any problems, I will be sure to post them.

MerimacHamwich
06-12-2003, 05:08 PM
I have a 43" Widescreen HDTV Hitachi. Used to have a 51" but it was too big for the room. You're not the only gamer in Hi-Fi here MixMasta. Add my Panasonic DD 5.1/DTS set up and I am rolling aorund in heaven.

LynxFX
06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

480p - EDTV (Enhanced Defintion Television), can be attained by using S-Video, Component, or DVI cables.

Just a little correction. You can not get a progressive image using S-Video cables. S-Video is only capable of interlaced images.

Tim, you can find out more information relating to that kind of stuff on my HDTV website: http://hdtv.lynxfx.com/

Enjoy your new tv.

Yankeez
06-13-2003, 05:56 PM
stay away from Hitachi and/or a Panasonic. there crappy and only poor losers buy them

go for a toshiba or sony flatscreen

Covenant Comm.
06-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Quick Q about the componet video. i Got a a sony Wega and i have the componet vidoe and the hd pack from my dads hdtv but when i put it all in the right jack it just makes loads of wierd color lines. Any suggestions thanks.