PDA

View Full Version : halo 2 vs. half-life 2

HALO2
06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
which game do you think is going to be better? and why?
or which trailer do you like the most? please answer

if you haven't seen the trailers before go here:
http://gametrailers.com/vault-h.html

HALO2
06-06-2003, 03:04 PM
i like both games they look awesome,but i think the half-life 2 trailer looks a little better than the halo 2 trailer.
dont you guys think?and in the half-life 2 trailer the people l00k like real pe0ple

JADE8704
06-06-2003, 03:32 PM
half life 2 has amazing graphics...that grav gun looks pretty sweet too...but to be honest, my heart goes to halo 2...im more immersed in its story and characters.

i'll be getting both next year :D

Ford Mustang
06-06-2003, 04:37 PM
I'm split between the two, to tell you the truth...I think they are both worthy candidates for Best Game of All Time....Unless of course you don't like FPS...I think Half-Life has left a bigger legacy...And with all the hype surrounding Halo 2, and considering how good Half-Life was, I think Valve has alot to live up to, but then again, so does Bungie....Whichever is better, I'll be grabbing up both :-)

HALO2
06-06-2003, 04:41 PM
some0ne knows when is half-life 2 is going t0 be release?

Liquid Gears
06-06-2003, 05:20 PM
That's a pretty difficult question to answer. I mean, both of these games look unbelievably incredible. But I'm gonna have to go with Halo 2 on this one. Half-Life looks amazing n' all, but it doesn't look to me like it is as high paste in chaos as Halo 2 is. You know what I mean? Ah god, this is to hard to choose. What ever I'll just say Halo 2

StudioAlex
06-07-2003, 11:44 AM
They both look to be excellent, but I'm Halo's b!tch for one big reason. All the vehicles man. Also, I can't deny the genius of implementing a combo system for the melee attacks.

Drunken_Thug
06-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Halo 2, I loved Halo and I hated Half Life, so meh...

Dre
06-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by HALO2
some0ne knows when is half-life 2 is going t0 be release?

Sometime later this year, probably a month or 2 b4 xmas.

1. Halo2 looks alot better to me in almost all aspects visually except for character facial animation.

2. Physics engine on Half-Life 2 looks absolutely incredible and opens up the spectrum for dynamic gameplay. Halo 2 is supposedly going to offer something like this with the ability to shoot out lights and use tables, etc.. for cover. Remains to be seen which company has the best level designers to fully allow the player the freedom to choose how to play.

3. Storywise, hands down Halo 2. Half-life 2 was very cool and intriguing but Halo did it more for me. Master Chief is alot more interesting than Gordon Freeman!

4. Halo 2 -> Xbox Live...need I say more?

Overall, most excited about Halo 2.

Shadow20002
06-07-2003, 03:56 PM
What is different between the two is the ennemy AI. In Half-Life 2 trailer, we have seen something very intelligent from the ennemy: when you try to block the door with a table, they try to kick it and shoot you, or they find another way to shoot you (in the windows). But in Halo 2, 8 mins trailer, we only seen MC start shooting all the way, there are not showing any AI of the ennemy. :watchout:

davenporter
06-07-2003, 04:32 PM
I honestly have higher expectations for Half-Life 2. I can always HOPE that Halo 2 will be better, but in reality, i think it's going to be the PC game that wins.

FuNkY mOnK
06-08-2003, 07:13 AM
The Half life 2 trailer is from the PC version but they say the xbox will be just as good and it does show in game play,Halo2 shows nothing of Game play yet but i'm betting that it will kick ass in the Xbox Live dept. Those of you who played Half life know that no one has ever recreated that experience from a FPS... EVER. Both will Rock.

Nerrad529
06-08-2003, 09:45 AM
holy crap i love halo and i love half life man i might just end up buyin both rofl xbox ownz and man i know some people dog on ms but at least we gettin some class computer games i been playin before xbox even hit the shelfs

Dre
06-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Halo2 shows nothing of Game play yet

Hello!?! Halo 2 E3 trailer bro, got like 8 minutes of a dude playing.

sabca
06-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Halo 2. I'll definitely get Half-Life 2 as well but I'm more looking forward to Halo 2 because in total I have had more fun out of the original Halo than the original Half-Life. Although the Half-Life 2 mods that are sure to follow ill definitely be interesting.

Series3
06-08-2003, 06:47 PM
HALO 2 ....without a doubt.

Hitman101
06-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Halo 2 will be the crowd favorite for the xbox community hands down, HECK I even picked it !!! But Half-Life 2 will give Halo 2 a run for its money. Half Life 2 is being totally under rated....

Cryogenic Pyro
06-08-2003, 09:12 PM
I'd have to say Half-Life 2, just because both of them look kick ass, and I read an article in which Valve stated that they will host mods for download on Xbox Live(Not sure of this though, I read it somewhere, don't get ****ed off if it doesn't come true). Anyways, I'm going to buy Half-Life 2 for the Xbox and computer, but, I'm also buying Halo 2, no doubt.

l Maximus l
06-09-2003, 02:01 AM
I think the first Halo is the best game ever created, hands down. Of course, this is my opinion...and because of that, I think Halo 2 is going to be Halo on steroids....

Every new game I play, I constantly compare it to Halo. I wonder if I'm even obsessed with the game...if so, so be it. No game I have ever played can remotely compare to Halo's multi-player...and it's a game that genuinly takes skill to master. It's not a game where a person can just max their skills at...it's a game that contantly requires practice to become a pro... which is unlike any FPS I have ever played.

I mean, even with any DOOM game...or even Quake, you can only get "so good" and then master it. Same with RTCW and so on...but, Halo puts all people on par, all Master Chiefs, and see what you can do with him.

I've played numerous LAN matches where there were a lot of people that claimed to be bad ass at Halo. That's until I showed them what Halo can really do. Now, I'm not trying to brag, but, because I play this game literally, almost every other day, many people that I have played with couldn't believe how much better one can get with this game.

Now, I realize I'm among fellow Halo addicts here at XBA...and you all can probably understand where I'm coming from. People here are hardcore while others are not.

I guess my point is that the original Half Life was good, but, it was no Halo...and I don't expect Half Life 2 to be any different. I hope I am pleasantly surprised, though...I really do...just as I wished I was going to be pleasantly surprised with Ghost Recon, RTCW, Time Splitters 2, Unreal Championsip, and many others...which ended up all falling sub par to Halo's greatness.

LynxFX
06-09-2003, 02:25 AM
I would say my money goes on Half-Life 2. Half-Life was an incredible story driven game that graphically was incredible during its time and now even 4-5 years? after it was released is still being played and compared to. As much as I love Halo and think it is the definitive Xbox experience, I think it will be forgotten in 4-5 years, but still remembered for what it did for Xbox. Another reason is the mod support. No other game has spawned so many commercial games from mods. And Half-Life 2 is being built to support just that.

But I can't wait for both. Halo2 on Xbox and Half-Life 2 on PC. :D

l Maximus l
06-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

But I can't wait for both. Halo2 on Xbox and Half-Life 2 on PC. :D

Why not get Half Life 2 on the XBox? Especially considering the possibility of XBox Live enabability :p

Koopa
06-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Why not get Half Life 2 on the XBox? Especially considering the possibility of XBox Live enabability :p

1) its on pc first
2) it can be modded (although by the time xbox gets HL2, MS may allow user created mods...)
3)you can play with more than 8 people and still have a lag free game (*cough*wolfenstein*cough*)
4)it will have more downloadable content available sooner (*cough*everygameonxbl*cough*)

...but of course if all those issues are taken care of by the time it comes out, ill get it on xbox:D

LynxFX
06-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Pretty much all the reasons Koopa listed. :) I have a powerful enough PC so that doesn't hinder me. I guess I'll take Half-Life 2 for PC then get Doom III on Xbox just because they are really setting the mood with DD 5.1 sound and I know that is going to be a fun and intense game to play in the living room. :D

MerimacHamwich
06-10-2003, 11:49 PM
No question Half Life 2 is going to be a better game. more interactivity. It looks as if Half Life 2 is going to be as revolutionary as Half Life. If not, then just as fun and popular. Which means a huge modding comunity. :)

shrew king
06-11-2003, 02:54 AM
I haven't played the original Half Life so I am going to base my decision of superiority on graphics, since I can't really put my say in on which will have better gameplay. My vote goes to Half Life 2, most realistic game I have ever seen.

Stormlord
06-11-2003, 06:16 AM
I'd go with Halo 2. Half-Life was great and all but what everyone remembers the most is the mod support. If Half-Life 2 is just like Half-Life then it's not going to be that great. If a game needs mods to save its life then it wasn't a great game in the first place. I've only played the single-player for Half-Life just twice. Once on PC and once on PS2. After that I never cared for it. So the mods are what added life to it. Halo, I've played the single-player countless times. Multiplayer, Halo wins again. Honestly tell me about a large group of people still playing Half-life's default multiplayer? Barely anybody because they're playing the mods. Bungie is working hard to deliver a game with greatness on all fronts. Valve is just using the modding community as a third leg. They won't have to pour their hearts into making a great multiplayer because "the modding community can do that for us." The time that Half-Life 2 will show greatness is when Counter-Strike 2, Day of Defeat 2, and Team Fortress 2 come out. Other than that Half-life 2 will just be played and then it'll just sit there until the first mod appears.

There's still no doubt that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 will get Game of the Year even with their flaws. Yes there's always more than one GOTY. Gamespot will have theirs and so will IGN. Remember how No One Lives Forever and Half-Life both got game of the year in the same year? :cheers:

JimmieDoogan
06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
They both look so awsome, I can't really say... the physics of half life 2 are amazing... but the Grandiosity of halo 2 cannot be denyed. Both are going to be on my shelf when they come out... lets just hope Half Life 2 on Xbox is actually as good as it's PC counterpart will be... we'll just have to wait and see who wins game of the year ;) !

BTW I voted Halo 2... as my PC won't be able to run HL 2 when it comes out... and Who knows if HL 2 will be as good on Xbox as it is on PC... however, we already KNOW Halo 2 will ROCK DA CAZBAH come next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nycgamer
06-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Yeah, they're both undeniably "must-haves" although my instinct tells me that Halo will be the one with the most replay value. Besides, I thought Half-Life 2 will only be on PC. If they were both on Xbox, that would be more of a competition, wouldn't it?

SPARTAN VI
06-11-2003, 07:56 PM
I say Halo2. Halo was just too fun, HL was awesome too, but Im rrreeaalllyy looking forward to Halo2(who's not?). But since Im getting em both (all of you should), I don't really care whats better. :D

Im getting a better computer this summer, so chances are I'll be getting HL2 on PC, as well as Halo1 and Doom3. :cool: :cheers:

frog11983
06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
After seeing the E3 trailers for both... I'm going to go with Half-Life 2. I'm a huge Halo fan and loved playing the game, but I absolutely love destructible environments and think it adds so much more to the game. In the plot area Halo2 might have the edge (just as long as those d@mnith flood don't come back), but seeing the physics engine and the AI on Half-Life2, I think I might enjoy playing it more. But really... I'm going to love both games a lot, so it doesn't really matter. Neither game is here yet, and I really really want both. :D

bretman1234
06-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by frog11983
In the plot area Halo2 might have the edge (just as long as those d@mnith flood don't come back)

:rofl: ANOTHER FLOOD HATER! stupid little vegetable lookin animals. I hate when you have no shield left and u have like 100 of them on your ass :watchout:

frog11983
06-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by bretman1234

:rofl: ANOTHER FLOOD HATER! stupid little vegetable lookin animals. I hate when you have no shield left and u have like 100 of them on your ass :watchout:

yeah at first they were a good twist to the story, but they just got real annoying after awhile...
FLOOD HATERS UNITE!

CuBaNo
06-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Halo 2 all the way becuase i don't have to worry about me upgrading my xbox, For halflife 2 ill probably have to add more RAM like 512, even tho i got 512 now... and upgrade the 1.83 ghz athlon XP and the ATi Radeon 9700pro... so no im with Halo 2, can't wait to see the new bump mapping and the new lighting effects.

frog11983
06-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CuBaNo
Halo 2 all the way becuase i don't have to worry about me upgrading my xbox, For halflife 2 ill probably have to add more RAM like 512, even tho i got 512 now... and upgrade the 1.83 ghz athlon XP and the ATi Radeon 9700pro... so no im with Halo 2, can't wait to see the new bump mapping and the new lighting effects.

No reason to upgrade bud! They are BOTH coming out for the XBOX :D

bretman1234
06-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by frog11983

No reason to upgrade bud! They are BOTH coming out for the XBOX :D

not necessarily :watchout:

wasn't there another thread around here about how half life 2 might not come out for xbox?

frog11983
06-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by bretman1234

not necessarily :watchout:

wasn't there another thread around here about how half life 2 might not come out for xbox?

ah, there was some confusion a couple of days ago, but I think it was cleared up...

In this bleak Xbox financial report on the Puget Sound Business Journal David Hufford, a product manager in Microsoft’s Xbox group stated "As of now, Half-Life 2 is not going to be on the Xbox," he said. "Valve is sending us mixed messages on that."

Half-Life 2, made by Seattle game developer Valve Software, was the most talked about game at this years E3 overshadowing both Halo 2 and Doom III for not only it’s outstanding physics but the new and improved graphics engine.

Valve Software’s Doug Lombardi today told GameSpy Half-Life 2 is certainly in development for the Xbox. "Half-Life 2 is planned for the PC and Xbox. We’ve announced the shipping date for the PC version [September 30, 2003 - ed.], and we’ll announce a shipping date for the Xbox version later in the year."

So there you have it. Worry no more.. Mr. Freeman is coming.

here at home (www.xboxaddict.com)

:cheers:

bretman1234
06-12-2003, 06:00 PM
YES!!!!!!!!! thanks frog!

frog11983
06-12-2003, 06:01 PM
No prob bob :cool:

Koopa
06-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
I'd go with Halo 2. Half-Life was great and all but what everyone remembers the most is the mod support. If Half-Life 2 is just like Half-Life then it's not going to be that great. If a game needs mods to save its life then it wasn't a great game in the first place. I've only played the single-player for Half-Life just twice. Once on PC and once on PS2. After that I never cared for it. So the mods are what added life to it. Halo, I've played the single-player countless times. Multiplayer, Halo wins again. Honestly tell me about a large group of people still playing Half-life's default multiplayer? Barely anybody because they're playing the mods. Bungie is working hard to deliver a game with greatness on all fronts. Valve is just using the modding community as a third leg. They won't have to pour their hearts into making a great multiplayer because "the modding community can do that for us." The time that Half-Life 2 will show greatness is when Counter-Strike 2, Day of Defeat 2, and Team Fortress 2 come out. Other than that Half-life 2 will just be played and then it'll just sit there until the first mod appears.

There's still no doubt that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 will get Game of the Year even with their flaws. Yes there's always more than one GOTY. Gamespot will have theirs and so will IGN. Remember how No One Lives Forever and Half-Life both got game of the year in the same year? :cheers:

well its not really fair to compare the amount of people playing halo multi to half life....lets see how many people are playing halo multiplayer in 5 years:p

but yeah, youve got a major point in the fact that half life relied on mods...but uh this may be untrue for hl2, seeing as they're keeping their multiplayer aspect so closely guarded. my guess/dream is that itll ship with counter-strike2 or team fortress2, or both:D but maybe theyll have some crazy objective based stuff in the half life universe...imagine having teams of human soldiers and barneys with vehicles versus combine soldiers versus xen...imagine playing as a strider online, impaling other ACUTAL PLAYERS with your giant daddy-longlegs-legs, then blowing them up with your superduperlaserbeamgunthing, all while you're fighting against (or with, i don't think we know yet) combine soldiers....or humans...

as for you guys who say halo2 will have a better story....im just not sure. theres so much we don't know about either one. Who's fighting who in hl2? humans vs xen and combine? but apparently some aliens are with the humans...who exactly ARE the combine guys...why is gordon in europe?...why the career shift from scientist to soldier? whats up with that flying manatee-helicopter thing (its in the 25 min trailer)

then halo2...what're we gonna do after the covies are on earth? whatabout 343gs? the flood? how do we attack the cov homeworlds? whered the brutes come from? how long is this after halo1.

next year's GotY competition is gonna be brutal.....half life 2 v halo2 v doom3 v fable v black and white 2 (maybe) v BC (maybe) v rogue squadron 3

[edit] ahh i forgot, half life is THIS year, halo is NEXT year...so BOTH can be GotYs... yay!:D

FuNkY mOnK
06-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Hello!?! Halo 2 E3 trailer bro, got like 8 minutes of a dude playing.
Holy sh-it that was running on the xbox hardware? man-o-man what else can i say.

l Maximus l
06-12-2003, 07:26 PM
If the gameplay of Half Life 2 is equally as brilliant as the gameplay as Halo 2, then, it will be tough to choose. Halo, in my opinion, is the best game ever created...period. I have never played a game for so long while maintaining such a high level of interest with any game except for Halo. I expect the same with Halo 2.

Will I be playing Halo in the next five years? Well, after a year and a half, I love the game more and more...but, the only thing that would stop me from playing, or atleast slowing me down, would be Halo 2.

And, on a side note, Koopa: I can host 16 people with Wolfenstein with no lag if they are all on the West Coast. All around the planet, I can host 12 without lag. One just has to have a good server...My upload never dips below 608K. :D

TheCovenant
06-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Koopa

1) its on pc first
2) it can be modded (although by the time xbox gets HL2, MS may allow user created mods...)
3)you can play with more than 8 people and still have a lag free game (*cough*wolfenstein*cough*)
4)it will have more downloadable content available sooner (*cough*everygameonxbl*cough*)

...but of course if all those issues are taken care of by the time it comes out, ill get it on xbox:D

Halo 2. It wasnt easy to come up with this conclusion, but i think i decided that solely based on the idea that everything in Halo 1 will be in Halo 2, that alone makes my mouth water. Half-life1 was a pretty mediocre game (spectacular for its time, though). Stormlord hit it on the spot, however. Half life was great, the first time you played it, but how many people can honestly say you bring friends over to play half life and beat it over and over again. Most people that owned Halo beat it several times in a week, every week. It was that addictive and great.

I can see why Koopa would choose half life as well. He just 'nabbed a new computer and he wants to try a "good" game on it (battlefield 1942 does not count).

Also, you cannot say anything bad about xbox live, Koopa.

1) its on pc first

So? Halo 2 is on xbox first

Thats the prime reasonto get half life....the mods. Half life 2 itself wont be the reason you'll go online everyday.......it will be counter strike 2.....

What do you know about the lag in half life 2? I know people that go on with a 56k on battlefield 1942........talk to me about lag free then. Also, it's not our fault you have a bad connection and you share it amongst three people. That's your connection buddy, not live.

If you buy a game for the downloads, then half life 2 is the game for you. I also recommend septerra core, and half life 1.......which you never did finish, did you?

(*cough*ihateyou*cough*)

Conclusivly, you just bringing up pc versus xbox stuff as opposed to half life vs. bungie stuff. What digital anvil or ubi soft does with their downloadable content can be very different from bungies. I recoomend you rethink why you made your decision.

Koopa
06-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by TheCovenant

He just 'nabbed a new computer and he wants to try a "good" game on it (battlefield 1942 does not count).
what? why doesn't bf1942 count as a good game? it was IGN's game of the year, and I agree with them. It's easily the best multiplayer experience i've ever had.

Also, you cannot say anything bad about xbox live, Koopa.
why can't i? trust me, i love live as much as the next guy, but you've got to be pretty thickheaded and stubborn to ignore its many failings, including lots of lag, a lack of downloadable content as compared to computer, and lots of bugs/compatibility issues.

So? Halo 2 is on xbox first

what does taht have to do with anything? check the context of my earlier post. I was talkinga bout why id get hl2 on pc as opposed to xbox, not why hl2 is better than halo2....but if I WERE gonna make an arguement like that, i'd say that its going to be released at least 3 months before halo2 (assuming halo2 comes out at the beginning of jan, and hl2 comes out at the beginning of september)

Thats the prime reasonto get half life....the mods. Half life 2 itself wont be the reason you'll go online everyday.......it will be counter strike 2.....

Originally Posted by Koopa
but yeah, youve got a major point in the fact that half life relied on mods...but uh this may be untrue for hl2, seeing as they're keeping their multiplayer aspect so closely guarded. my guess/dream is that itll ship with counter-strike2 or team fortress2, or both but maybe theyll have some crazy objective based stuff in the half life universe...imagine having teams of human soldiers and barneys with vehicles versus combine soldiers versus xen...imagine playing as a strider online, impaling other ACUTAL PLAYERS with your giant daddy-longlegs-legs, then blowing them up with your superduperlaserbeamgunthing, all while you're fighting against (or with, i don't think we know yet) combine soldiers....or humans...
it helps if ya read the whole thread ;)

What do you know about the lag in half life 2? I know people that go on with a 56k on battlefield 1942........talk to me about lag free then.
Im sure that SOMEWHERE theres SOMEONE on a 56k playing battlefield...but ive had the game for about a month, and played proabably, at LEAST, every other day. I've been in 64 and 32 player servers and have not ONCE seen lag anywhere near as bad as what most people recieve daily in wolfenstein. Why is it that EA is nice enough to set up some great dedicated servers, but MS can't keep their Xservers up for more than a few months?

Also, it's not our fault you have a bad connection and you share it amongst three people. That's your connection buddy, not live.
no. thats simply not true. talk to almost anyone that has wolf, and they'll say that lag is a major issue. Once i find a nice 16 player dedicated server, its fine, but it shouldnt be a struggle for an all broadband internet network to support 16 players without lag, while 64 players are easily held in a lag free battlezone on a PC. Its not my connection, its Live. if it were my connection i'd get lag in warcraft3, battlefield 1942, counter-strike, and all the other stuff on my pc (i dont, by the way, and when i do, its with alot more than 16 players in a server, and the lag is minimal)

this kinda reminds me of a gag on penny-arcade....something about how insulting a gamers' net speed is like calling their **** small. :D

If you buy a game for the downloads, then half life 2 is the game for you. I also recommend septerra core, and half life 1.......which you never did finish, did you?

When you make assumptions......
we dont know anything about hl2 multiplay yet...and if its something new or counter-strike 2, im sure itll be awesome.

Conclusivly, you just bringing up pc versus xbox stuff as opposed to half life vs. bungie stuff. What digital anvil or ubi soft does with their downloadable content can be very different from bungies. I recoomend you rethink why you made your decision.
the problem isnt with the developers. the problem is with microsoft. according to fasaa studios and DE, the reason for the delays of their DLCs was MS's testing and approval cycles.

but this is all beside the point.

just to put this all into perspective, we're comparing games that differ in coolness by about .00001%. its tough to make a choice here, but from what ive seen SO FAR, half life 2 will have more of an impact on the gaming world, will have a longer lifespan thanks to mods, has more revolutionary features (exceptional ragdoll effects, cutting edge lip synching, unparalled facial animations,top-notch graphics, interactivity with EVERYTHING, killer AI, uber-realistic physics)

the MAIN reason i'd choose to put half life 2 on top of my list, though, is just because we know more about it. we're comparing a 25 minute tech demo highlighting hl2's futuristic, ingenious bells and whistles to halo2's mind-blowing cinematic experience. Personally, seeing all the "neat" stuff in half life 2 excites me more, as an analytical gamer, than halo2's ass-kicking trailer.

what i'd love to see out of bungie is a tech demo with narration to show off the halo2 engine.

again, just remember, we're comparing a 9.9/10 game to a 9.99/10 game. luckily halo2 is an 04 game, and hl2 is an 03 game, so both can be goty's:-D

SPARTAN VI
06-13-2003, 01:21 AM

what? why doesn't bf1942 count as a good game? it was IGN's game of the year, and I agree with them. It's easily the best multiplayer experience i've ever had.....

blah blah blah blah

....what i'd love to see out of bungie is a tech demo with narration to show off the halo2 engine.

again, just remember, we're comparing a 9.9/10 game to a 9.99/10 game. luckily halo2 is an 04 game, and hl2 is an 03 game, so both can be goty's:-D

http://smilies.crowd9.com/otn/realhappy/biggthumpup.gif

Exactly. I'd start to cry if you were anymore correct. TheCovey is kinda arguing with the wrong points, as Koopa said, "hes taking what i say, putting it out of context, and arguing with it".

Cryogenic Pyro
06-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Actually, to the people who say Halo is "that addictive" are wrong in my case. I beat Halo, and I haven't played single player again, not once. I do still play multiplayer like once every month or so, and I do the same with original Half-life, and last time I checked, there were more people playing Half-life multiplayer than there were playing some of the awesome but lesser known mods.

Oh, and TheCovenant, when you said Half-life was a mediocre game, but then said it was good for it's time, makes no sense, because it is still it's time, because it doesn't change the fact that it was made 5 years ago and hundreds of thousands of people still play it, whether it be mods or not.

Koopa
06-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro
Actually, to the people who say Halo is "that addictive" are wrong in my case. I beat Halo, and I haven't played single player again, not once. I do still play multiplayer like once every month or so, and I do the same with original Half-life, and last time I checked, there were more people playing Half-life multiplayer than there were playing some of the awesome but lesser known mods.

Oh, and TheCovenant, when you said Half-life was a mediocre game, but then said it was good for it's time, makes no sense, because it is still it's time, because it doesn't change the fact that it was made 5 years ago and hundreds of thousands of people still play it, whether it be mods or not.

yeah , i agree with everything you said...except that you probably didnt play halo on legendary. beat it on legendary, then tell me the single player was boring:o

ONLYONXBOX
06-14-2003, 08:38 AM
For the dude who said Halo2 was not in game is an idiot....first of all there was someone playing it and why would bungie show off another movie of the game at e3...we already had that....it was in game dude.

SPARTAN VI
06-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ONLYONXBOX
For the dude who said Halo2 was not in game is an idiot....first of all there was someone playing it and why would bungie show off another movie of the game at e3...we already had that....it was in game dude.

Yeah, thats kinda outta nowhere. Quote the person, right now it's like you're arguing with the wall. :eek: :watchout:

bretman1234
06-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
The Half life 2 trailer is from the PC version but they say the xbox will be just as good and it does show in game play,Halo2 shows nothing of Game play yet but i'm betting that it will kick ass in the Xbox Live dept. Those of you who played Half life know that no one has ever recreated that experience from a FPS... EVER. Both will Rock.
I think only on box was talking about this post ^^^

BunnyRabbit
06-16-2003, 10:07 AM
I look forward to both games.... However, Half-life 2 makes me think : I can't wait... that oughtta be awesome.

Halo 2 makes me think: I made a mess on my shorts.

Halo2!!!

TheCovenant
06-16-2003, 08:42 PM

what? why doesn't bf1942 count as a good game? it was IGN's game of the year, and I agree with them. It's easily the best multiplayer experience i've ever had.

why can't i? trust me, i love live as much as the next guy, but you've got to be pretty thickheaded and stubborn to ignore its many failings, including lots of lag, a lack of downloadable content as compared to computer, and lots of bugs/compatibility issues.

what does taht have to do with anything? check the context of my earlier post. I was talkinga bout why id get hl2 on pc as opposed to xbox, not why hl2 is better than halo2....but if I WERE gonna make an arguement like that, i'd say that its going to be released at least 3 months before halo2 (assuming halo2 comes out at the beginning of jan, and hl2 comes out at the beginning of september)

it helps if ya read the whole thread ;)

Im sure that SOMEWHERE theres SOMEONE on a 56k playing battlefield...but ive had the game for about a month, and played proabably, at LEAST, every other day. I've been in 64 and 32 player servers and have not ONCE seen lag anywhere near as bad as what most people recieve daily in wolfenstein. Why is it that EA is nice enough to set up some great dedicated servers, but MS can't keep their Xservers up for more than a few months?

no. thats simply not true. talk to almost anyone that has wolf, and they'll say that lag is a major issue. Once i find a nice 16 player dedicated server, its fine, but it shouldnt be a struggle for an all broadband internet network to support 16 players without lag, while 64 players are easily held in a lag free battlezone on a PC. Its not my connection, its Live. if it were my connection i'd get lag in warcraft3, battlefield 1942, counter-strike, and all the other stuff on my pc (i dont, by the way, and when i do, its with alot more than 16 players in a server, and the lag is minimal)

this kinda reminds me of a gag on penny-arcade....something about how insulting a gamers' net speed is like calling their **** small. :D

When you make assumptions......
we dont know anything about hl2 multiplay yet...and if its something new or counter-strike 2, im sure itll be awesome.

the problem isnt with the developers. the problem is with microsoft. according to fasaa studios and DE, the reason for the delays of their DLCs was MS's testing and approval cycles.

but this is all beside the point.

just to put this all into perspective, we're comparing games that differ in coolness by about .00001%. its tough to make a choice here, but from what ive seen SO FAR, half life 2 will have more of an impact on the gaming world, will have a longer lifespan thanks to mods, has more revolutionary features (exceptional ragdoll effects, cutting edge lip synching, unparalled facial animations,top-notch graphics, interactivity with EVERYTHING, killer AI, uber-realistic physics)

the MAIN reason i'd choose to put half life 2 on top of my list, though, is just because we know more about it. we're comparing a 25 minute tech demo highlighting hl2's futuristic, ingenious bells and whistles to halo2's mind-blowing cinematic experience. Personally, seeing all the "neat" stuff in half life 2 excites me more, as an analytical gamer, than halo2's ass-kicking trailer.

what i'd love to see out of bungie is a tech demo with narration to show off the halo2 engine.

First offf, im going to have to quote a line from the Matrix and say'"whoa..."

Thats a lot to argue with, but debatable none he less.

Im not going to sit here and argue every little point, especially becuase some of them are conclusionless, but the overall statement you are expressing is simply that Halflife2 has that little thing in you pants dancing around more than Halo2, because one video explained more than the other.

(by the way, the little thing in your pants is of course, your wallet).

Bungie and vavlve apperantly have different ways of "wowing" their audiences, which really seem to be different audiences in my perspective.

Battlefield 1942, i said it does not count as the "good" game that you wanted to try on your computer, or else you would be very satisfied with it and wouldn't really be awaiting half life that much. It didnt mean it wasnt a good game. Also, i stand by what i say when i said that half life was good for its time. I believe that time ended, long ago.

Anyways, bungie's Hao is a very story driven game, where as half life is not. Im sure some of you thought that finding out the government wanted to kill you was cool, or at the end when he asked you tot ake the job or "else" was cool.......

But how many of you can honestly say you werent amazed to find out that halo harbored the flood? That got an award for greatest gaming moments in EGM magazine.
I really want to find out what happens in halo next.....and the videos only leave me with more questions ( a requisite of the matrix reloaded), making me ever more anticipating the game. Not only that, but the multiplayer should be grandiose in scale. Like battlefield in the future.......(wasnt there a movie llike that? oh yea battlefield earth.......i just threw up), Halo has given out information about the game in leaks here and there to biuld up to the final event of launch date in 2004, whereas valve kept their mouth shut until 4 or 5 months before they launch their, where they have the ability and freedom to say 25 minutes worth of info on their game.

So the very foundation of your decision for picking the better game, was based on how much and how often the developers wanted to get you hyped up, and apperantly it worked. You got really sycked over all the info they threw at you at one time, whereas i got really syked over wondering what the next bit of info from bungie will be.

(Syked=excited about).

so you see, really, it not the game that makes you feel it's better, it's the marketing strategy, and that comes down to preference......

Whatever floats your boat
whatever sharpens your pencil
whatever makes you horny
whatever erects your *****e so that you may hve sexual intercourse with a female; or member of the same species, but opposite sex.

SPARTAN VI
06-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
Also, i stand by what i say when i said that half life was good for its time. I believe that time ended, long ago.

Mmmmm, Half-Life alone was good for it's time, but HL in general is still pumpin. CS is still the #1 most played online FPS and more people are going to log on XBL to play it. But, yes, Half-Life alone probably would've died in '99 if it wasn't for the modules (mods). :cheers:

Koopa
06-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Im not going to sit here and argue every little point, especially becuase some of them are conclusionless, but the overall statement you are expressing is simply that Halflife2 has that little thing in you pants dancing around more than Halo2, because one video explained more than the other.
i think its the opposite...halo's awesome soundtrack, nice graphics, and action sequences got the little thing in YOUR pants excited, while the innovative features of half life 2 wowed my brain. seriously...i know halo2 is earlier in development, i know they have more to show, but from what was presented, half life 2 is obviously the more impressive and revolutionary of the two...compare the feature everyone is ooing and ahing about for each game..

halo2:
graphics: doom3 and half life 2 are arguably better.
music: marty odonnel wins this one, halo has the best video game music score there is...but theres nothing revolutionary about it, its just really good.
scripted sequences: those were in half life ONE, im sure doom3 and half life 2 will be crammed with those
2 guns at once: have you ever played perfect dark?
vehicles: theyve been done before, too
AI: wasn't really shown off at all. the ai controlled the warthogs which was pretty cool i guess, but nothing spectacular.

now dont get me wrong. all this stuff is awesome, and probably hasnt been implemented as well as will be done in halo2...but nothing is NEW. look at half life 2...look at the unparalled AI...look at the lip synch technology...look at the physics, look at the potential for mods, look at the AI...with what we know right now, theres no comparison as to what's more revolutionary.

Battlefield 1942, i said it does not count as the "good" game that you wanted to try on your computer, or else you would be very satisfied with it and wouldn't really be awaiting half life that much. It didnt mean it wasnt a good game
so for me to want half life 2, i have to be unsatisfied with my current games?:confused:

Anyways, bungie's Hao is a very story driven game, where as half life is not.
wasn't half life 1 the first shooter to have a real story (as in not being about "KILLING ALL THE ZOMBIES ON THE MOON BASE" or "KILLING THE NAZI ZOMBIE ROBOTS IN THE CASTLE"). Of course a game that comes out 4 years later like HALO will have a better story, but saying half life wasn't story driven is just stupid.

Im sure some of you thought that finding out the government wanted to kill you was cool, or at the end when he asked you tot ake the job or "else" was cool.......

But how many of you can honestly say you werent amazed to find out that halo harbored the flood? That got an award for greatest gaming moments in EGM magazine.
I really want to find out what happens in halo next.....and the videos only leave me with more questions ( a requisite of the matrix reloaded), making me ever more anticipating the game.
to tell the truth, i think we know more about the halo2 story than about the half life 2 story..

halo2: what we know/speculate so far is that the covenant find earth and invade it. the master chief defends earth and takes the action to the covenant in some way.

half life 2: its in europe..in a city called CITY 17...you're fighting xen....or are you allied? or are the combine soldiers xen allies? or are they human? are they another race? ...while we're at it, why are we in europe, and where the **** did those striders come from?

Not only that, but the multiplayer should be grandiose in scale. Like battlefield in the future.......(wasnt there a movie llike that? oh yea battlefield earth.......i just threw up)
well half life has whatever valve has in store....plus a counter-strike 2...and a team fortress 2, and firearms 2, and a natural selection 2.....see where this is going?
and while we're at it, i REALLY hope that live will be able to hold 16 people at LEAST lag free...i hope itll have the mod and clan support ready by then too....i hope they get those X-servers back up, too...

Halo has given out information about the game in leaks here and there to biuld up to the final event of launch date in 2004, whereas valve kept their mouth shut until 4 or 5 months before they launch their, where they have the ability and freedom to say 25 minutes worth of info on their game.
whats wrong with being smart? they could have pulled a duke nukem forever and told us about it in 1999.

So the very foundation of your decision for picking the better game, was based on how much and how often the developers wanted to get you hyped up, and apperantly it worked. You got really sycked over all the info they threw at you at one time, whereas i got really syked over wondering what the next bit of info from bungie will be.
i think its the opposite. i think i got hyped by the possibilities the source engine presented. i think you got "syked" by the cool explosions and action sequences.

(Syked=excited about).

so you see, really, it not the game that makes you feel it's better, it's the marketing strategy, and that comes down to preference......
not at all. it comes down to the fact that VALVe's engine has more substance in it than halo2's does. They've been working on it for four years, so i'd expect no less. Give bungie four years and they might be able to do better...but judging strictly by what was shown, half life 2 clearly wins best of show.

but now people are gonna say i think halo2 sucks. geez dont say that! i think human on cov battles on live with voice communication will be awesome! tanks rolling by, banshees whizzing across the field, ghosts hovering along...but its not revolutionary. hell, battlefield 1942 has all that, just with ww2 skins, and no voice communication

half life 2 has more features and more potential.

LynxFX
06-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Anyways, bungie's Hao is a very story driven game, where as half life is not.
Koopa already pointed this out, but I must do it again. First with a :o :huh: :eek:

Half-Life was the game that put the story back in the FPS. Actually take that back, they put the story in the FPS. To say that Half-Life had no story is pure non-sense. The cliffhanger alone was something that has been discussed on the net for the past 5 years. The best part of Half-Life was also the addons that allowed you to play a different side of the story to bring you even deeper into the game.

Half-Life 2 has been in developement for 5 years now. Yes they have been working on it that long. They also managed to keep the developement very quiet which is why it took the top spot at E3 this year even over Halo 2. It just came out of no where and they had a lot to show and a hard delivery date only a few months away.

Reguardless, both games are going to rock. :)

Koopa
06-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

Koopa already pointed this out, but I must do it again. First with a :o :huh: :eek:

Half-Life was the game that put the story back in the FPS. Actually take that back, they put the story in the FPS. To say that Half-Life had no story is pure non-sense. The cliffhanger alone was something that has been discussed on the net for the past 5 years. The best part of Half-Life was also the addons that allowed you to play a different side of the story to bring you even deeper into the game.

Half-Life 2 has been in developement for 5 years now. Yes they have been working on it that long. They also managed to keep the developement very quiet which is why it took the top spot at E3 this year even over Halo 2. It just came out of no where and they had a lot to show and a hard delivery date only a few months away.

Reguardless, both games are going to rock. :)

yeah, thats exactly what i was trying to say. well put, lynx! especially that last part about rocking:cheers:

SPARTAN VI
06-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Hahaha, I like yogurt.:watchout:

Oh, Halo2 and HL2, also. :p

No Fear 23
06-17-2003, 09:27 AM

next year's GotY competition is gonna be brutal.....half life 2 v halo2 v doom3 v fable v black and white 2 (maybe) v BC (maybe) v rogue squadron 3

[edit] ahh i forgot, half life is THIS year, halo is NEXT year...so BOTH can be GotYs... yay!:D

well it sounds like next year is probably going to be the best year for xbox bc of all the great games coming out.

also, Half life 2 for XBOX prolly wont come out till next year along with halo 2. so it still going to be a tough fight for GOTY award for consoles.