PDA

View Full Version : How the hell is this possible

Xboxmaster2001
12-09-2001, 03:10 PM
How can the same game on a different system get rated worse than the other for example:

Tony hawk 3: ps2 10 and gc like 9.2

MX:2002: ps2 8.3 xbox 7.5

Dave Mirra 2: ps2 8.0 xbox 6.9

and theres many more how can this be thats just stupid
let me know if you agree

dronezero
12-09-2001, 03:46 PM
I think it is likely that a game on different systems would be rated differently.
2 points:

First: it is possible that the game would play differently on different hardware. It could have popup or other problems, or perhaps the game is harder to control with a given system's controller.

Second: With most good reviews the games scores should be based on only the games on the system. They should not be compared with other systems. For instance though a game may have great graphics for the PS2, when put on the Xbox the same graphics (or even perhaps better graphics) may be subpar compared to the other games on the system. And just because the graphics are the same does not mean that they both deserve the same score.

Slider1981
12-09-2001, 04:01 PM
I think when companies like EA port games from the cr@ppy PS2 to the xbox and they look the same. I think the xbox game should get a lower rating, when compared to the PS2 game, it's the same. On the other hand EA could have turned an average PS2 game into a great one with the power of the xbox. I agree with reviews that are lower, when i see a game like Madden for the xbox and a game like NFL Fever, i chose Fever, because Madden was just another port to make a few dollars for EA. Ports and pretty much G@Y

XboxChump
12-09-2001, 07:25 PM
Well i think the rate it by the newness and power of the system.So take the ps2 and Gc for instance,if they review the same game and the Gc's game is almost the same it will get a lower rating due to the power of the machine and also the same for x-box.They look for the games to have better graphics and gameplay and maybe some new feature's,And if it doesnt then they give the Gc's and X-box lower rating over the Ps2....Just my theory what do i know

Rancey
12-09-2001, 10:36 PM
If a new game comes out and it rocks it will get a good score, after a while better games will come out and when it is reviewed on another system it won't be worthy of as high a score compared to other games out there...that is one reason I think.

terrapin
12-09-2001, 11:09 PM
All things considered equal, I believe the games should be given the same score. I don't think a game should be rated higher because it was debuted on a certain console. Games shouldn't be at an advantage/disadvantage because they are released on a specific console. Though, I also believe that certain consoles have advantages/disadvantages over others and those need to be considered in the reviews.

FpS_PhReeK
12-10-2001, 03:27 AM
Yes games are and should be rated differently depending on the console.

Often they look or play different due to the console they are being played on.... maybe it is due to the a more powerful processor or the availability of a hard drive.... sometimes software developers will include, or conversly, cut out portions of a game so that it will run at faster frame-rates or have faster load times.... I really am hoping that game developers keep in mind the capabilities of the xbox and creat games that take full advantage of these traits.... I do not want simple ports of games developed for sub-systems such as the PS2 or Supernintendo,,, or Gamecube for that matter. The Xbox is unique and it is capable of so much more than what we have seen yet.

So yes games can be rated differently on different consoles,, because frankly they are not the same game... and if they are the same game then there is a problem,,, the developers need to tailor the games to take advantage of the console that they are displaying their product on.

PhReeK out!

Hugh_Jass
12-10-2001, 11:53 AM
It might also have to do with precedence. If a game comes out for PS2 and a year later it makes it to the XBOX maybe our expectations are higher than they were a year ago so our opinions are more critical.

CBR900rr
12-10-2001, 12:27 PM
People, (most media) are very anti MS, hence XBOX gets lower scores when in reality the games even better. Dave Mirra 2 has added levels and cleaner grafx. It could have been better, true. But to give it a lower score than the PS2 version is completely missleading and scandelous.

Forget these whack mags rating the games lower than they deserve. Even the official XBOX mag gave Amped only an 8.4 rating. Lets be serious here, this is by FAR the best snowboarding game ever and is very advanced over any and all previous efforts. Its deep, lush and plays pefectly. Should have been a 9 or better easily. They even rated Dave MIrra 2 higher....yeah right.

I say rent a game if its not a sure buy, and see for yourself if its a worthy purchase. Dont buy into the hype, good or bad !