PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox Tunnel software on the streets!



GaMMa
06-08-2003, 02:41 PM
XLink Messenger is the new Xbox Tunnel program out on the streets. Not only does it sport a sleek look ( http://members.cox.net/gamma/xlink.jpg ) it also plays games great, and in my opinion better than XBC. No start up lag in Halo anymore . Also they've included a few of their own features in the software that no other program has. They've got this mode called "WGN", where users can switch to this host a game, any anyone else in WGN mode can see this game. This eliminates the need for rooms and the annoying searching for a good game... no running from your PC to your Xbox. It also has rooms mode for those who like that though :P. Messenger mode allows you to chat with your buddies and play with anyone on your buddy list...

Brute Force supports 4 players via system link, where XBConnect only supports (and will only support 2), and the same goes with GameSpy tunnel. Only downside to this program right now is lack of users. There's only 50 or so users on minimum, where other clients have 200 minimum. This can change if people try the client out and stay with it. Oh yea, uses less bandwidth and has packet caching. WET11 support too, take that XBC!

http://www.xboxlink.co.uk

BTW I'm trying to get a Halo fest organized tonight at 10:30 EST, add GaMMa to your buddy list on the program and I'll be on then to get a bunch of games organized.

bretman1234
06-08-2003, 02:56 PM
will this be deleted because he is advertising? just wondering so i can find out what to say and what not to say. Anyway, about the article, thats awesome. I gotta try that out.

Casper
06-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Eh, until it becomes more popular, XBC is still the way to go for skilled gamers.

Dre
06-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
Brute Force supports 4 players via system link, where XBConnect only supports (and will only support 2)

Where did you hear this from? Anyone familiar with Xbconnect knows that the devs of the program are constantly tweaking the network code to make all the games run smoother and lag-free.

This Xlink thing sounds promising and has a few new features, but I think I'll stick with Xbconnect for now.

bretman1234
06-08-2003, 03:06 PM
any chance that it is possible that maybe soemone might be able to sorta allow voice communication kinda in halo?

l Maximus l
06-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Halo in not encoded for voice because it came out one year before XBL did. Unless they are referring to another voice transfer system...not sure

bretman1234
06-08-2003, 03:22 PM
How sweet would that be

VeNoMiZA
06-08-2003, 03:32 PM
hmm funny.. this crap dosnt even wrok. i start it up and when i try to put in my name it brings a box that says "retry action or switch to.." and it kept messin my pc up..

GaMMa
06-08-2003, 03:45 PM
The program has a voice stream program that allows you to talk through your PC while playing games such as Halo. As for that bug venom, never heard of or seen it before. Skilled gamers use the underdog clients, mostly because they look for a new challenge. XBC is full of newbies and people easy to kill. I can go on one of the underdog clients and actually have a challenge. Think about what you're saying and you'll see underdog clients have better players. OR except a few of the people I played today, lol they don't see to realize machine guns won't kill people from long distances.

VeNoMiZA
06-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
The program has a voice stream program that allows you to talk through your PC while playing games such as Halo. As for that bug venom, never heard of or seen it before. Skilled gamers use the underdog clients, mostly because they look for a new challenge. XBC is full of newbies and people easy to kill. I can go on one of the underdog clients and actually have a challenge. Think about what you're saying and you'll see underdog clients have better players. OR except a few of the people I played today, lol they don't see to realize machine guns won't kill people from long distances. seems u havent played XBC long enough. anyways i will stick to live. where the real people and challenges await. i mean xbc is good for games that are link cable not live enabled. i think halo was fun on xbc, but the no voice thing got boring. so i gave up xbc. and i just tried this program and it dosnt even work. so i will stick to live. but advertise it more so more "underdogs" come and play.

speedbuggy76
06-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I figured I give this thing a shot, especially because of the new features and stuff, so I downloaded it and set it up, no problems. Then I created an acount at their website and attempted to log in. It gave me an error telling me to:
1. Open a few ports on my router
2. Configure or temporarily disable my firewall and virus scanner
or
3. register my static IP at their website

Well, I don't have a router, I disabled my firewall and virus scanner, and I have a dynamic IP, and it still doesn't work! I really wanna give this thing a try, so if anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

:cheers:

Hitman101
06-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Nice dude !! I'll try this one for sure. :D

GaMMa
06-08-2003, 09:53 PM
speedbuggy76 did you disable the Windows XP firewall? Go on IRC on EFNet channel #xbox-link people will help you there, I'll be on helping people. What is your setup to your Xbox? Are you using a Hub because there aren't many setups out there without a router :D.


Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
seems u havent played XBC long enough. anyways i will stick to live. where the real people and challenges await. i mean xbc is good for games that are link cable not live enabled. i think halo was fun on xbc, but the no voice thing got boring. so i gave up xbc. and i just tried this program and it dosnt even work. so i will stick to live. but advertise it more so more "underdogs" come and play.

Seems I haven't played XBC long enough huh? Hahaha, you're joking right? I started playing Xbox online since day one, Xboxgw was the first tunnel program out there (rooty was the creator), ran on linux, or a linux boot disk. Xbox Connector came out which ran in Windows (no boot disk yay) and was created Caucasian and BioHazard. Xbox Connector was renamed to XBConnect and caucasian stayed with Xbox Connector to maintain the site. XBConnect was born... and Bio became the only developer. I've had operator status for XboxGW, Xbox Connector, XBConnect, and now X-Link. I've been close to the developers, so trust me I know what's going on. Xbox Live is fun and all, but Halo still isn't playable on it.

VeNoMiZA
06-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
speedbuggy76 did you disable the Windows XP firewall? Go on IRC on EFNet channel #xbox-link people will help you there, I'll be on helping people. What is your setup to your Xbox? Are you using a Hub because there aren't many setups out there without a router :D.



Seems I haven't played XBC long enough huh? Hahaha, you're joking right? I started playing Xbox online since day one, Xboxgw was the first tunnel program out there (rooty was the creator), ran on linux, or a linux boot disk. Xbox Connector came out which ran in Windows (no boot disk yay) and was created Caucasian and BioHazard. Xbox Connector was renamed to XBConnect and caucasian stayed with Xbox Connector to maintain the site. XBConnect was born... and Bio became the only developer. I've had operator status for XboxGW, Xbox Connector, XBConnect, and now X-Link. I've been close to the developers, so trust me I know what's going on. Xbox Live is fun and all, but Halo still isn't playable on it. and i still cant get this thing to work on my pc. i will use xbconnect. and kudos to u for working on all those projects. and yeah im sure the "underdogs" are happy.

speedbuggy76
06-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
speedbuggy76 did you disable the Windows XP firewall? Go on IRC on EFNet channel #xbox-link people will help you there, I'll be on helping people. What is your setup to your Xbox? Are you using a Hub because there aren't many setups out there without a router :D.


I am 99.9% sure XP firewall is disabled, since I have never had a problem with any other programs. I have an internal DSL modem and a NIC with a crossover to my XBOX. This works for Gamespy, XBOXLive!, and XBConnect, so I really don't understand what's wrong. Zonealarm asked if I wanted to allow XLink to access the internet and I told it yes and since that didn't work, I turned it off temporarily. No dice! Man I wanna give this thing a shot, I'll probably check you guys out on IRC tomorrow.

JJaX
06-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by GaMMa

Brute Force supports 4 players via system link, where XBConnect only supports (and will only support 2), and the same goes with GameSpy tunnel.

XBC and gamespy tunnel software tricks your xbox into thinking its playing on a LAN. Why would bruteforce be any different?

If a game supports system link with 4 boxes, playing over XBC or gamespy should be no different.

l Maximus l
06-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by JJaX


XBC and gamespy tunnel software tricks your xbox into thinking its playing on a LAN. Why would bruteforce be any different?

If a game supports system link with 4 boxes, playing over XBC or gamespy should be no different.

For some reason, XBConnect is not running Brute Force very well at all. With my relatively new DSL with an upload of 608K, I can host a 16 man Halo match very well, however, when only hosting one person on one XBox with Brute Force, the entire game is in slow motion. It's kinda wierd...and confusing.

JJaX
06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA


For some reason, XBConnect is not running Brute Force very well at all. With my relatively new DSL with an upload of 608K, I can host a 16 man Halo match very well, however, when only hosting one person on one XBox with Brute Force, the entire game is in slow motion. It's kinda wierd...and confusing.

Well the game was really never meant to be played online. Its not lack of performance in XBC or gamespy. It just wasnt meant to be :(

JJaX
06-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
They've got this mode called "WGN", where users can switch to this host a game, any anyone else in WGN mode can see this game. This eliminates the need for rooms and the annoying searching for a good game... no running from your PC to your Xbox.

Thats a really good feature. Im downloading it now, and ill try it later :)

bretman1234
06-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA


For some reason, XBConnect is not running Brute Force very well at all. With my relatively new DSL with an upload of 608K, I can host a 16 man Halo match very well, however, when only hosting one person on one XBox with Brute Force, the entire game is in slow motion. It's kinda wierd...and confusing.

man that sux. I can host a game of Brute Force with someone else, and it works perfectly. Dunno why though, cuz I dont really have that good of an internet connection.