PDA

View Full Version : network

leeza
06-10-2003, 03:07 PM
well after my friends telling me to buy an xbox, and them letting me play halo, i finally bought one and now i am just wondering what i need to get now to hook up a few xboxs (in one house). any idea where i could get an hub for a decent price?

Variation-XBA
06-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Anywhere really... Bestbuy, Futureshop...

Get the hub, a Cat5 cable per xbox (length depending on what room), a tv per xbox, and probly would need a power bar :)

Voila

l Maximus l
06-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Variation is correct...but, make sure that the Category 5 cables are "patch" cables, not crossovers. Patch cables (also known as Network Ethernet cables) are mainly utilized in the presence of a Hub, Switch, or a Router. Crossovers, my contrast, are used for hooking up two peices of hardware (e.g. Two computers, two XBoxes, or a computer and an XBox). A hub, switch, or a router will allow for multiple hardware devices to be linked together similtaneously.

mrmp3
06-10-2003, 04:00 PM
I'd strongly recommend getting a switch instead of a hub. They are not that much more expensive (or actually are the same price). If your not too networking savvy, the easiest way is Linksys. They give u the setup disc to get it working with your PC then you just plug in the Cat5 cables for your Xboxes into the switch. However, Linksys is not necessary to play LAN Xbox games. Pretty much anyone should work. Not to mention, i've heard Linksys stuff stops working right around the time the warantee ends. Signing off...

Hugh_Jass
06-12-2003, 12:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a switch, but it's really overkill for the purpose of XBOX gaming. A hub will do just fine.

Chaotic
06-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Variation is correct...but, make sure that the Category 5 cables are "patch" cables, not crossovers. Patch cables (also known as Network Ethernet cables) are mainly utilized in the presence of a Hub, Switch, or a Router. Crossovers, my contrast, are used for hooking up two peices of hardware (e.g. Two computers, two XBoxes, or a computer and an XBox). A hub, switch, or a router will allow for multiple hardware devices to be linked together similtaneously.

sorry but i have to correct you, not that your wrong or anything i'm just being technical :p

I see everyone say this, a patch cable is a patch cable, meaning they come in Straight Through or CrossOver Configurations. But both configurations are considered "patch" cables wether it be straight or crossover ;)

So when u go to ask make sure you get a straight through patch cable. :)

Variation-XBA
06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by mrmp3
Not to mention, i've heard Linksys stuff stops working right around the time the warantee ends. Signing off...

My linksys has been going for years strong :P Id never buy anything else