PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean Hands-On

Brevity
06-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Source IGN (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/423/423496p1.html)

June 10, 2003 - Akella's upcoming role-playing title Pirates of the Caribbean may be based on the upcoming Disney film, but it sure has the gritty pirate details and deep RPG elements one might've expected from say a Sea Dogs II. Not that any of us were there to confirm but the days of pirates and life on the high seas were full of adventure and make the perfect setting for any videogame. Akella is attempting to bring as many elements of the romanticized version of pirate life to Pirates of the Caribbean as possible and even though we've only scratched the surface, it certainly feels like we're well on the way to some serious swashbuckling in this game. Controlling a character in a living world with all kinds of items, combat and relationships to acquire and maintain is good, but doing that and controlling your own heavily armed sailing vessel is better. These are the two major elements of the game and we've got a few details on each.
Read the rest by clicking the link. I was not thinking to hard about getting this game. but now I am going to atleast rent it.
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/pirate3.jpg http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/pirate1.jpg http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/pirate2.jpg http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/pirate4.jpg http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/pirate5.jpg

Flood
06-12-2003, 12:48 PM
screens look ok....i'm not too excited about this game though, not really my thing.

Variation-XBA
06-12-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm with flood...dunno if Id even rent it..

thrAsher
06-12-2003, 01:45 PM
a definite rental.

sorta interesting in that it has a lot of RPG elements mixed in with strategy and simulation.

could be fun, could suck gerbil gonads. i'd rent it just to see what this Storm engine can do w/ water fx. could be a quick fix for those w/ Fable fever.

personally, i'm keeping my coin stashed for KotOR.

HAAAAR!

JR Alberda
06-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Those of us with plenty of coin, ie. Me, will definitley rent this game, if not buy it. I like the general Idea, and pirates rock all. Probably will rent it first to make sure that I actually enjoy it.

MerimacHamwich
06-12-2003, 02:40 PM
This is an RPG following the lines of The Elder Scrolls Series. IE: It is open ended and has a true RPG sense in that you are really taking on the role of your character. He does what you want him to do. Knights of The Old Republic is not that open ended at all. It has a rather linear world and storyline that leads you by the hand. The two games are really different. While both are still in the RPG category, they play about as much the same as Conker and Joust.

I personally would way rather go for Pirates of the Caribean. While KOTOR looks like a pretty decent game, I have a feeling once you beat it you will never play it again. Which is where the greatness of open ended gameplay comes in. With POTC you could beat the main storyline but still go around doing as you wish. IE: War and Pillage. :D

thrAsher
06-12-2003, 02:57 PM
JR Alberda wrote: Those of us with plenty of coin, ie. Me, will definitley rent this game, if not buy it. I like the general Idea, and pirates rock all. Probably will rent it first to make sure that I actually enjoy it.

i don't know if pirates 'rock all', but i agree w/ renting it first.

MerrimacHamwich wrote: I personally would way rather go for Pirates of the Caribean. While KOTOR looks like a pretty decent game, I have a feeling once you beat it you will never play it again. Which is where the greatness of open ended gameplay comes in. With POTC you could beat the main storyline but still go around doing as you wish. IE: War and Pillage.

very good point, MH. i totally overlooked the fact that KotOR is not open ended. you make a good argument for PotC, here.

damn! now i don't know HOW i feel about this game. i absolutely loved the openness of Morrowind. i just have mixed feelings about Bethesda after the whole Dirty Disc Error thing.

so, i guess it's rent and then decide.

Dre
06-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
This is an RPG following the lines of The Elder Scrolls Series. IE: It is open ended and has a true RPG sense in that you are really taking on the role of your character. He does what you want him to do. Knights of The Old Republic is not that open ended at all. It has a rather linear world and storyline that leads you by the hand. The two games are really different. While both are still in the RPG category, they play about as much the same as Conker and Joust.

I personally would way rather go for Pirates of the Caribean. While KOTOR looks like a pretty decent game, I have a feeling once you beat it you will never play it again. Which is where the greatness of open ended gameplay comes in. With POTC you could beat the main storyline but still go around doing as you wish. IE: War and Pillage. :D

Bleh. If its anything at all like the Elder Scrolls Series I will steer way clear from it. Gawd that Morrowind game sucked. Its fun for a few weeks until you realize that everyone in the world is a moron, every quest in the game is extremely easy and 90% of em are "go get me this item" quests. Extremely sh*tty AI along with some of the crappiest path finding I've seen. I mean, being run after by 5 guards is exciting until they all get stuck on a fence and just keep running into it. I mean, whats the point of open-endedness if I feel like I'm alone in a stagnant world? LAME.

As for KOTOR not being open-ended at all, go read more on it bud. Cuz if your saying that, u don't know f'all about it. KOTOR has branching storylines (obviously dependant on if ur a dark or light side jedi, etc.), romance stories, tons of sidequests, mini-games such as card game, swoop-bike racing (where you can gamble on races as a spectactor or be the driver), gladitorial combat, space combat (you take control of your ships gun-turrets and shoot down Sith fighters, etc.). You are never obligated to go to a specific place or are forced to do anything. You can explore all planets at your own leisure and ignore the main quest till you please.

Pirates was something I was thinking of checking out till that Morrowind comparaison, now I think I'll be wise and save my time and money for something more worthwhile.

edit: And, Bioware has been saying around 60-80 hours to play KOTOR through once. Now, double that if you plan on playing once as a light and once as a dark jedi. Some quests, rewards, skills and cinematics will be different and the ending cinematics for the light and the dark are both supposedly killer! Now don't forget the time you'll spend playing the mini-games. Thats easily over 150 hours of gaming for 80$. Pretty worthwhile :)

MerimacHamwich
06-12-2003, 03:07 PM
From what I have read KOTOR isn't very open ended. I may be wrong though. I will read some more I guess.

Dre
06-12-2003, 03:11 PM
From what I have read KOTOR isn't very open ended. I may be wrong though. I will read some more I guess.

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=26

Best place for info. The devs are amazing and answer so many questions!

MerimacHamwich
06-12-2003, 03:15 PM
5. How much freedom will players have to explore, versus going through a linear storyline?
We like to strive for a perfect balance of creating a well-crafted and compelling story with the feeling of being able to really control your destiny. So, even though the game has a distinct storyline, throughout the bulk of the game you'll be able to advance that storyline by freely traveling to a number of different planets. One of the great strengths of the game is that unless you're trapped or in immediate danger, you normally have a huge area to explore however you like.

That is the main thing said that makes me believe it will have some open endedness. However, it still isn't tottally clear how open ended. The great thing about Morrowind like open endedness is that you don't have to play the storyline, you can create your own. It sounds to me that this game will be open ended to an extent. You will be able to achieve your missions in the main storyline in a variety of ways but you still have to follow the storyline.

Dre
06-12-2003, 03:29 PM

That is the main thing said that makes me believe it will have some open endedness. However, it still isn't tottally clear how open ended. The great thing about Morrowind like open endedness is that you don't have to play the storyline, you can create your own. It sounds to me that this game will be open ended to an extent. You will be able to achieve your missions in the main storyline in a variety of ways but you still have to follow the storyline.

Very true, not as open-ended as Morrowind, but still open-ended. I think this totally works in favor of KOTOR though. Many people playing Morrowind had a feeling of "what do I do next?". While it is nice to decide everything to do, I believe that a game still needs to create a general direction/goal for the gamer to pursue or else its pointless. Morrowind didn't really do that, I think KOTOR will while still allowing the player the freedom to go where they please and do what they wish.

Shadow20002
06-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah open-ended always take really your time even when you beat the main story, there are enough side quests to keep you putting in your Xbox to play it no stop. :p I don't know if i gonna get KOTOR just because when i touch Morrowind, everything in my mind about RPG is changed. Now, RPG must be something like Morrowind to get my perfect attention or else, gonna rent it.

P.S. Fable is what i'm looking for instead. :p

DarkMatter
06-13-2003, 06:04 AM
I will be buying it!:cheers:

natewebb
06-13-2003, 01:06 PM
This game looks good enough for a free rental, or maybe 5 free rentals. It's good to have a relative in the rental business. I play every game that looks decent.