PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Berrier
06-13-2003, 07:07 PM
I have never played a RPG game before but I am thinking of trying one. What would you guys recommend? I been thinkin of Morrowind but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SlightlySycho
06-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Morrowind's an excellent game, but the Game of the Year Version is coming out in a few months. That includes the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions and I'm pretty sure some of the downloadable content. I'd wait to buy that, IMHO.

Pirates of the Carribean is coming out this Tuesday. It's made by the same company that made Morrowind (Bethesda), so it should be pretty good, too. I'd definitely recommend that. You can find alot of information about it on this board.
Next month Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will come out. T

SlightlySycho
06-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Morrowind's an excellent game, but the Game of the Year Version is coming out in a few months. That includes the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions and I'm pretty sure some of the downloadable content. I'd wait to buy that, IMHO.

Pirates of the Carribean is coming out this Tuesday. It's made by the same company that made Morrowind (Bethesda), so it should be pretty good, too. I'd definitely recommend that. You can find alot of information about it on this board.
Next month Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will come out. That's another game I'd wait for. It's set in the Star Wars universe (duh) 4000 years before the movies during the Sith wars (ie, Dark Jedi versus Good Jedi). Apart from that, I'd say it's biggest advantage is that it was made for the XBox from the ground up. That means you get all the graphical bells and whistles.
Gladius comes out in August. I'm a little hesitant to actually call that an RPG because I'm a little confused about the gameplay. I'd be more inclined to say it's just a game that heavilly emphasizes RPG elements.
After that, Sudeki and Fable will be coming out. I don't know much about Sudeki . . . but Fable will be incredible. The way you play the game literally affects how your character develops. A warrior will become a huge slab of muscle, a wizard will get all skinny and gray. Your actions also affect the environment. If you're heroic, the landscape will be lush and green and beautiful; if you're evil . . . it'll resemble something out of a Tim Burton movie.

I'd hate to say it, but there actually aren't that many RPGs out for the XBox at the present. Apart from Morrowind, the only thing that comes close is Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. And that's not really even an RPG, per-say. More like an Adventure game; an RPG-lite, so to say. Hell, it's not even that long. I beat it over the weekend. I could only recommend renting it, to be honest.
The good news is that alot of good RPGs are about to come out.

ScorpionX
06-14-2003, 01:42 AM
Yea definately check out Pirates of the Carribean :watchout:

Morrowind used to be crack way back when I used to play it. :cool:

There are some promising RPG's coming out in the next few months so keep your eyes peeled ;)

Variation-XBA
06-14-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by SlightlySycho

I thought the GOTY version was only going to have Tribunal?
Though it would make sence to add Bloodmoon concidering the time its been out.

thrAsher
06-14-2003, 10:33 AM
it's the sad, sad truth, but Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is the ONLY real RPG out for the Xbox right now. sad in that it's the ONLY RPG for Xbox right now. forget Baldur's Gate, or at least rent it like Slightly Sycho said.

if you need your RPG fix, though, go for Morrowind now. it's a Platinum Hit ($20) and a lot of fun. as a matter of fact, it's extremely fun and at first majorly daunting. but be sure to read some of the forums at Bethesda's Morrowind site before you get too deep in the game. (if you don't watch your save game block count, you can run into a nasty little thing called the Dirty Disc Error).

anyhow, buy Morrowind now for $20 and spring for the GOTY edition when it comes out in a few months. you can load your character from the Platinum Hits edition into the GOTY edition if/when you get it, and trade the PH version for something stupid like Enter the Matrix or one of the 8,000,000 FPSs choking the Xbox shelves at EB.
:cheers:

pepitonet
06-14-2003, 02:18 PM
first of all GOTY will include both expansions that was announced by bethesa long ago and a copy of the announcement was posted here and secondly ....maybe i should keep this one for now

frog11983
06-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Anyone know when GOTY version is going to come out? I'm probably going to sell my morrowind version and get that one, I'm hoping the "dirty disk error" problem has been resolved.

Kraft
06-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by frog11983
Anyone know when GOTY version is going to come out? I'm probably going to sell my morrowind version and get that one, I'm hoping the "dirty disk error" problem has been resolved.

Mid October is the official ship date as of now (14th I believe) but if it is anything like the original release, expect it to be changed at least 20 times by then.

echohype
06-19-2003, 09:31 AM
just wanted to clarify:

pirates of the caribbean is being developer by Akella, not Bethesda. Bethesda is publishing it though and has input.

cya

Kraft
06-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by echohype
just wanted to clarify:

pirates of the caribbean is being developer by Akella, not Bethesda. Bethesda is publishing it though and has input.

cya

The visual styles are similar between morrowind and Pirates. I doubt it is the same graphics engine, but you can definately see and feel Bethesda's influence.