PDA

View Full Version : Short vs. Long games

runninutes
06-17-2003, 07:22 AM
I know this isn't specific to fighting games, but I couldn't find any place better to put it, and it came up when talking about fighting in Enter the Matrix.

I read something interesting the other day - someone in a magazine (I think) was talking about how they didn't think short games are bad. I see his point - my job requires me to travel, so I'm only home 3 days a week. Since I want to spend time with my wife when I'm home (go figure), I don't have a ton of time for non-portable console games. Enter the Matrix took me literally weeks to complete, just with Niobe, on Easy difficulty. Something longer like Kingdom Hearts takes months and months. I don't think I'll ever even get close to finishing Morrowind. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject? I wanted to post a poll, but that would mean you could only choose one, and I felt like limiting you to "I hate short games" or "I like long games" was too... limiting.

Kraft
06-17-2003, 10:07 AM
There are some quality short games out there. Lord of the rings: two towers was short and I played through it quite a few times. I guess what it boils down to is not the length of the game, but the replayability of it.

runninutes
06-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Good point, Kraft - a game of Crazy Taxi can't take longer than 15 minutes, but I've played it off and on for the past few years now. I only wish the sequels were as fun as the original...

Kraft
06-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Every now and then you will find a sequel as good as, or better than the original. Mortal Kombat 2 was WAAAY better than Mortal Kombat one. The Dead or Alive series is constantly improving. Chances are Halo 2 will also outshine its predecessor. Just so long as I don't see any sequels to Run Like Hell or Bloody Roar, then I will be happy.

Shadow20002
06-17-2003, 03:42 PM
First of all, you should check what genres are belong to each category. Don't have to tell, RPG is the longest than any other genres. Figthing is the shortest. :p

thrAsher
06-17-2003, 04:55 PM
I agree w/ Shadow 20002.

it depends on the type of game. i recently bought Kung Fu Chaos, and found it to be just long enough. w/ the multiplayer extras and unlockables, it's a great game.....for a fighter. i mean, I ran through all the scenes in one rather short night of playing. and right away, I wanted more. thankfully, the designer's had a slew of extras and challenges ready and waiting. (Panzer Dragoon Orta is similar in this respect).

a better case in point would be Ikaruga (sp?) for the Dreamcast (and soon to be on Gamecube, those *******os!) which is extremely short, extremely tough, and addictive as all get-out.

now, as far as other genres, I refuse to buy Baldur's Gate mainly because it is so short. short RPG's are a waste of my time. if i'm going to RPG it, I want nothing less than a couple solid weeks of gameplay. Morrowind is a perfect example.

so, I guess what i'm babbling on about here is that the short vs. long debate will surely be won by who likes what types of games the most.

for me, I tend to go for longer, more involved games. still, I do like a good, quick karate fest from time to time.
:cheers: