PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 2k series..

Xbox Owner
06-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Sega, Visual Concepts, and ESPN announce that the Sega Sports 2K brand is to be renamed ESPN Videogames.

At a press conference at the ESPN Zone earlier today, Sega, Visual Concepts, and ESPN announced that the Sega Sports 2K series--including 2K4 games planned for release later this year--is being retired in favor of a new ESPN Videogames brand. Games already scheduled for release under the new brand starting this fall include PS2 and Xbox versions of ESPN NFL Football, ESPN NBA Basketball, ESPN NHL Hockey, and ESPN College Hoops.

"With ESPN Videogames, sports gamers will experience the same level of fun, realism and competition that they know and demand from the 2K games, but with an all new presentation and attitude only ESPN can help us deliver," said Greg Thomas, president of Visual Concepts Entertainment. "We are making great game changes this year and players can look forward to seeing the new ESPN integration and innovative features not only this fall, but year after year."

"We've only scratched the surface with this relationship. The possibilities are endless for how we can continue to enhance the sports gaming experience with ESPN Videogames," said Rick Alessandri, senior vice president and general manager, ESPN Enterprises. "The new branding and further integration is just the first step, with so many more improvements and ground-breaking features to come."

All of the games released under the new ESPN Videogames brand will feature ESPN-style presentation and camera angles, as well as ESPN commentary from the likes of Chris Berman, Gary Thorne, and Bill Clement. We'll bring you more information on all of Sega's ESPN games as soon as it becomes available.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/ncaacollegebasketball2k4/news_6030219.html

I REALLY think that's a bad move..the 2k series is well known..and it sounds..better.

squid413
06-18-2003, 11:46 AM
meh doesn't matter. its the same exact game just under a different name.

RudedogX
06-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Trust me...2k4 no matter what the name for NFL will kick ass.

Chaotic
06-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Trust me...2k4 no matter what the name for NFL will kick ass.

FEVER baby :D

DZNUTZ
06-18-2003, 01:23 PM
fever? that must be what u have if u think for a second that MS's football titles come close to segas.

anyways...i don't think its a bad move...last year's installment was off the chain...and that was only the first year they partnered with espn.

i expect this to be the beggining of a beautiful relationship between the 2.

now if i can only hear berman screaming....He could go alll theeeee waaaay, in the weekends wrap-ups.

Chaotic
06-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
fever? that must be what u have if u think for a second that MS's football titles come close to segas.

anyways...i don't think its a bad move...last year's installment was off the chain...and that was only the first year they partnered with espn.

i expect this to be the beggining of a beautiful relationship between the 2.

now if i can only hear berman screaming....He could go alll theeeee waaaay, in the weekends wrap-ups.

F the 2k series :cuss: after last years game im going back to a game that i enjoy, one thats fun and can't be taken so serious. At least these guys won't drop the ball on every pass :rolleyes:

Xbox Owner
06-18-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad move to the game..I'm saying it's a bad move towards the sales. Some people might think this is that konomi game

Kraft
06-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage

F the 2k series :cuss: after last years game im going back to a game that i enjoy, one thats fun and can't be taken so serious. At least these guys won't drop the ball on every pass :rolleyes:

They only drop the ball if you can't get them open. It's all about skill and planning. Christ forbid you should actually have to work to get a first down:rolleyes:

Anyways, ESPN has been tied in majorly with the 2k series for a while now, so this really doesn't come as a suprise. I am just happy that the series is not being cut completely.

Dyslexic Chaos
06-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Man, this sucks. Like Owner said, it'll probably be mistaken for the Konami games, which really sucked. I like the ESPN presentation, and something tells me ESPM initialized this.

Chaotic
06-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
[B]

They only drop the ball if you can't get them open. It's all about skill and planning. Christ forbid you should actually have to work to get a first down:rolleyes:

They would be wide open and still drop the ball everytime :rolleyes:

Obviously im not going to throw a pass to guys that aren't open :o

Kraft
06-18-2003, 03:15 PM

They would be wide open and still drop the ball everytime :rolleyes:

Obviously im not going to throw a pass to guys that aren't open :o

Hahahaha, you know I'm just messing with you :) Actually it is a frustrating game at first, but once you figure out how to play it, it gets a lot better... kinda like Moto GP. I thought that game sucked nuts the first time I played it... now I own Moto GP 2.

Chaotic
06-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

Hahahaha, you know I'm just messing with you :) Actually it is a frustrating game at first, but once you figure out how to play it, it gets a lot better... kinda like Moto GP. I thought that game sucked nuts the first time I played it... now I own Moto GP 2.

yea its very frustrating and drives me up the wall :cuss: Thats why fever is my pick this year. I have a lot more fun playing fever then i did playing the 2k series. MOTO GP 2 is awesome, once u get your DSL ill have to blow by you on every track ;)

DZNUTZ
06-18-2003, 03:27 PM
a. i saw kraft on moto 2 last night.
b. they rarely drop the ball if their WIDE open, but as in real life..it does actually happen every so -often, try first off..picking a skilled reciever..not some lop..second off..u got to call the right play...if u can't pass at all still..learn to RUN...it opens up the passing game.

Kraft
06-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
a. i saw kraft on moto 2 last night.

Thats right, the DSL is up and running. Tried to catch your ass for a game of GR but it didn't happen. Chaotic, I am fast approaching your lap scores, so maybe with a bit more practice I will leave you in the dust. I played a few rounds with crazy cougar last night... goddam that guy is good.

l Maximus l
06-18-2003, 06:15 PM
2K...ESPN...who the hell cares? The game is the exact same....but, I must admit, the "2K" is a little more catchy :cheers:

Series3
06-18-2003, 06:19 PM
I don't care as long as the new NBA game has online play...(and is awesome, of course) =P

Dr_J
06-18-2003, 07:12 PM

FEVER baby :D

Amen!

Fever all the way!

wweomaniac
06-18-2003, 07:28 PM
ESPN NFL Football does not ring a bell.

They should have had someone famous endorse it instead... like George Foreman. Everyone loves his grill.

But to be serious, the name change makes the game seem less apeealing to me. I may not even buy it now (j/k :D). we should try and get one of those online petitions to change the names back ;)

Viper87227
06-18-2003, 08:37 PM
IMO 2k sounds better but as long as its still good games. What i want to know is whats it gunna be next year, since they dont apear to be including a year in the game title