PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer on XBox2

Knight
06-18-2003, 11:12 PM
MS CEO: Next-Box in Japan by 2006

News by: Fennec Fox
18-JUN-03
At a conference in Redmond, Washington devoted to the future of information-technology investment, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admitted that the Xbox is "having trouble" in Japan but expressed confidence that the system's fortunes would turn around by the time its successor, the so-called Xbox 2, is launched in the year 2006. Ballmer also said that his company has no intention of buying a majority stake in Sega, putting an apparent end to one of the game industry's most pervasive buyout rumors.

Originally launched November 2001 in the U.S. and February 2002 in Japan, the Xbox "has gained the number-two spot" worldwide over Nintendo's GameCube, according to Ballmer. However, the system is a distant third in Japan, a virtual no-name compared to the Cube and Sony's PS2 system. While calling the situation in Japan "a difficult one," Ballmer reminded attendees of Microsoft's trademark tenacity: "Our company is a patient one that looks at matters in the long term... We will develop and provide new products and services to appeal to [Japanese] consumers." Ballmer also stated that the next-generation Xbox is slated to launch in Japan by 2006, making a U.S. launch in 2005 is a distinct possibility.

On the subject of a Sega buyout, however, Ballmer was less optimistic. "There are no plans for that," the Kyodo news service quoted him as saying at the conference. "I don't think that will happen."

Sega is currently trying to recover from large amounts of debt, a decline in its console-software business, and a failed merger with pachinko-machine maker Sammy. Hisao Oguchi, the company's new president, said publicly that "it is possible for Sega to restructure itself independently" and announced a bold plan in mid-May that called for layoffs, development consolidation and new tie-ups with overseas game studios.

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/news/29841.shtml

prakeem
06-19-2003, 12:29 AM
If I know Japan, and I probably don't too well, RPG's are the key to success of the Xbox in Japan. If Fable is ever released for the green monster, I believe that title alone should boost sales for the Xbox in Japan.

runninutes
06-19-2003, 07:12 AM
They'll definitely need rhythm games, too - all of them come out of Japan. Actually, from what I understand, the Japanese (companies, at least) think that Americans suck at rhythm games compared to them. Certainly there are fewer of us that really like them here... Here's my obligatory plug of Samba de Amigo: that game rules - if you have a DC, get that game, and find some Sega maracas on eBay. Don't get those third party ones - I have some and comparing them to Sega's maracas is like comparing a Yugo and a Porsche.

SoccerCJM77
06-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Well I read the OXM and there was this guy that said that they weren't doing so good in Japan is because there is way to many shooting and goring games. The Japanist are not used to that type of violence. He also said they have some games like comics and Japan Rpg's that are selling the best of the xbox

Corona
06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SoccerCJM77
Well I read the OXM and there was this guy that said that they weren't doing so good in Japan is because there is way to many shooting and goring games. The Japanist are not used to that type of violence. He also said they have some games like comics and Japan Rpg's that are selling the best of the xbox

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!

I know morality, respect, and honor are as big in Japan as anyware else on this tiny planet, but your way off!

When there is a buck to be made Japan is in the front running with the best of them. Last years 2002 E3 or shall i say Japan's equivalent sported games that were so Gory that they would not be released in the United States becuase it would not be aproved by the ESRB rating board.

Now tell me how you can make a game that would not be released here of all places? BTA, it was the OXM guy who said it :o

Corona
06-19-2003, 04:28 PM
If any of you guys were wondering, damn i wish i could see what kind of games could really be that bad a$$.

Well, i saw clips of this one game that had this Hockey Masked Serial killer (similar to Jason) that chased a little girl around the house then smashed her head in against the wall with the base of a tall floor lamp (MY GAWD)!

I WISH I COULD PLAY IT:p

l Maximus l
06-20-2003, 03:04 PM
In Japan, XBox needs to come out with some games that involve shooting slimballs instead of bullets...while the characters run around wearing bright court jester suits while making quaking sounds. I'm actually being somewhat serious...for some reason, the folks over in Japan love this wierd crap.