PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 or surrond system ideas...

tagrim
06-22-2003, 03:42 PM
I am looking to get a system better than the TV speakers I currently use. I use my Xbox for games and also DVD's. There seems to be cheap speaker setups for under $100, do these have good surrond sound in games and movies? Don't you need a reciever to get sound surrond? If anyone can help or give advice I would appreciate it.

P.S. I am looking at no more than $125.00 on this system.

MerimacHamwich
06-22-2003, 04:41 PM
For 125$ you can get a decent two speaker set up. Nothing more.

tagrim
06-22-2003, 05:15 PM
What about the Logitech Z-640 seen here: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=2&CONTENTID=5047&countryid=19&languageid=1

I am not too concerned with the wattage as it is in a fairly small room.

CarGuy
06-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Go to Target or Walmart and you might find a small one for that price. If i were you i'd save and get a decent one for around 300-400. I have a sony reciever and i couldnt ask for more. Nothing better then playing RTCW online and hearing the bullets flying by you and hitting the wall behind you.. :D

Ford Mustang
06-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Actually, at walmart I got a Duraband 200 watt Dolby 5.1 for 100.00

It works really well and gets REALLY loud...It's perfect for my games.

IT's a very good deal if you ask me with enough inputs for a tv, dvd, tuner, and 2 auxiliaries. Also comes with a remote. Very good sytsem for the money.

MerimacHamwich
06-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by tagrim
What about the Logitech Z-640 seen here: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=2&CONTENTID=5047&countryid=19&languageid=1

I am not too concerned with the wattage as it is in a fairly small room.
I'm not so sure about that. First of all, my individual speakers can pump out more watts than that whole system. I know its for a small room, but that wattage is extremely low. Secondly, it seems to me you should have a reciever, while it says you can get a logitech adapter for your console, that is still extra money and who knows how well it would perform.
I'm with carguy, I say save up the extra money and get a halfway decent system.

tagrim
06-22-2003, 10:03 PM
What are the specs on the Durabrand? I wonder if it is reliable coming from Wal-Mart? How long have you had it? Any gripes? Thanks

l Maximus l
06-22-2003, 11:03 PM
I'm picking up a Pioneer 5.1 Digital Dolby Surround Sound system this Friday. It's on clearance at a local retailer and they told me that they would hold on to it for me until Friday.

It'll be under $300 and the receiver is 500 Watts plus a 100 Watt powered subwoofer. Two digital audio inputs (one for my Progressive Scan Toshiba DVD player - Digital Coax, and one for my XBox - TOSLINK - fiber optic audio). I'm pretty pumped!!!

Finally, I get to hear what I've been missing :D

MerimacHamwich
06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Sweet deal Maximus!
I have had my surround system since september and am still blown away by the quality audio from DVD and from some Xbox games.
Panasonic SCHT 400s (http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/products/product_detail.asp?Inventory=2023&affiliate_code=PG)