PDA

View Full Version : new xbox owner needs help

matt_c_j486
06-24-2003, 01:43 AM
Hi Thanks for looking at my first post!

I just got my xbox a couple days ago and I love it. I got it off ebay new and got 5 games: Rallysport Challenge, Amped, Aggressive Inline, Mat hoffman 2 and Unreal Championship. I hope to get Halo and beat that before Halo 2, I also want RTCW and maybe Mechassualt.

BTW- on a sidenote: MA looks exactly like a game Nvidia was demoing for Geforce FX awhile back. Exactly. Interesting.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I've ordered a hdtv (Sony KP57wv700 series 57") , a 5.1 surround speaker system (full sized everything) , a receiver, prog scan DVD player. I was wondering what the deal is with the HD AV pack. I need a component video cable right, but I also want 5.1 sound. If I buy the microsoft cable, do I just get the component video cables and some sort of a signal splitter thing? Or do I get a 5.1 sound cable too? I heard you need to buy it seperate. Does anyone have the microsoft hd av pack, and can you tell me what you got in it and how its setup in your environment?

2. Xbox Live. Took a chance and ordered it off Ebay, apparently only the speakerphone is a little busted. What do you get in the box when you buy it retail, so I can compare it to what I get in the mail soon? Link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3529356382

I hope to see some people online! My tag will be (hopefully) MrOther.

3. Bought a controller converter for psx 1/2 => xbox on ebay. Does anyone own one of these things? I haven't received it yet, just thought I might ask if anyone has experience with one of them.

Anyways, see everyone on the forums and thank you for all responses!

canadianboi3
06-24-2003, 02:33 AM
That kit seems to be an alright deal. 19 bucks, you can't really fo wrong. I hope it work out for ya bud:) Never used the HDTV thing, or the PSX thing, so no help there. But welcome to XBA, enjoy your stay :cheers:

Flood
06-24-2003, 04:51 AM
welcome to XBA

as far as your questions, i dont know the answers to them off hand. i know LynxFX-XBA could help you with the hdtv question, he knows all about that stuff...drop him a pm

Himji
06-24-2003, 06:18 AM
I think the MS connector you're talking abot will be an xbox to scart with an output for optical. As far as I know, I think you'll only get proper 5.1 with an optical so you'll need that. I can get the same thing here in the UK with an optical cable supplied but I don't know myself what the quality will be like and if I should shell out the extra for the ms plus good quality optical (which can cost £60).

As for your live kit, you get the headset, a cd and some manuals and leaflets and stuff. I'm not 100% on if you can register a new ID tho, you may be stuck with the previous owners live tag :(

No Fear 23
06-24-2003, 10:19 AM
umm, looks like someone beat you to the live kit on ebay.

AmpedRider
06-24-2003, 11:34 AM
1. The High Def pack only comes w/ a box and component cables, the box has a slot where the optical cable goes. You will need an optical cable. Once you buy the cable you will need to enable dolby dig on your box in the setting menu.

2.Looks like its alright

3. No damn clue

:cheers:

matt_c_j486
06-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I got the converter in the mail today actually, it works perfectly with absolutely 0 lag. I'm really surprised, even the rumble feature works. This converter thing is highly recommended if you don't want to shell out ~40 bucks CAD for a new controller s or you just plain like the psx controller better.

I actually won the auction, badadadada is my ebay name. Hopefully I'll get it soon and hopefully I get a new gamertag!

Thanks!

Matt.

edit => That sucks about the HD pack, I guess I will have to get the MS HD av pack and buy an additional optical cable for 5.1. I hope its worth it!

l Maximus l
06-25-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by matt_c_j486

edit => That sucks about the HD pack, I guess I will have to get the MS HD av pack and buy an additional optical cable for 5.1. I hope its worth it!

Actually, you won't believe it when you hear your XBox in glorious 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. I'm getting 5.1 system on Friday, but, my bro has one and I've had a taste of it. It's unbelievable! Especially considering nearly every single XBox game features 5.1 DD SS.

As for the HD A/V pack by Microsoft: Definately get it. Retail price is $19.99...a small price to pay for Component cables. It's also the only way to get progressive scan on XBox games. Make sure you turn on your XBox without a game in it so you can get to the dashboard and change your settings for video and audio. Also, the HD A/V pack features a slot where you can insert an optical cable. Don't worry, XBox doesn't make a proprietary Optical Cable...so any decent Optical cable will suffice...so, don't worry about breaking the bank. I bought the Monster 400 Series XBox Component video cables since I have an HDTV...and, unfortunately for me, I have to purchase the proprietary optical cable to get 5.1 surround sound when I pick up my system on Friday. But, it's all good...the way I see it is: pay for it once and never look back :D

Also, by the way, welcome to XBA...Expect fast replies from the members here...we are like a big psychodelic family...welcome to the crew :D