PDA

View Full Version : pirates of the caribbean.

diranged
06-25-2003, 11:55 PM
hey i just wanted to know what u guys think about this game. im thinking of geting this game,but i havent seen any movies on this game just read a preview. so what are your impressions on pirates of the caribbean (used to be called seadogs). :cheers:

Shadow20002
06-26-2003, 03:37 AM
If you like Morrowind then this one will suit you well after all. With the same idea but a rpg-at-sea this time. :p

Kraft
06-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Got to play it for a bit at e3, and was not impressed at all... of course that is the same way it went when I first played Morrowind too. I'm sure this is one of those games that might be a bit tough to get into, but once you are in the game will rock.

thrAsher
06-26-2003, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know the street date, or are they still hedging on when this game is coming out? I know it got pushed back to the end of June, but I haven't seen or heard anything about PotC recently.

diranged
06-26-2003, 02:22 PM
yeah it comes out the 30th of this month cant wait :D

diranged
06-26-2003, 09:09 PM
does anyone know where i can see some movies of this game :cheers:

Dre
06-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by diranged
does anyone know where i can see some movies of this game :cheers:

www.gamespot.com has some. If you're not a Complete member, I'm pretty sure you can still at least stream the videos.

Duke
06-27-2003, 11:14 AM
ign has some too, the newest ones might still be insider only, but there are others.

I'm really intersted in this one too, but I'll wait for the reviews. BTW, eb is giving movie tix w/ pre-order

thrAsher
06-27-2003, 12:27 PM
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=11354&mode=thread&order=0

I originally wasn't all that excited by this game, but it's looking better and better. Hopefully it comes out w/o too many more delays.

diranged
06-27-2003, 04:23 PM
cool, a nice preview. game looks better and better
:cheers:

Absydian
06-28-2003, 09:11 AM
will there be guns???

diranged
06-28-2003, 12:43 PM
yeah there will be guns and sword fights

diranged
06-28-2003, 01:06 PM
does anyonwe know if they took out the slave trading. i heard somewhere that they took it out so i wanted to know who knew if they did or not.

Marthafocker218
06-29-2003, 07:00 PM
It's like morrowind? if so, i'll have to at least rent it. I know it is at least made by bethesda, so that made me think it could be good. It it similar to morrowind, or exactly like it? And it is coming out for the xbox and pc i think right?

diranged
06-30-2003, 06:09 PM
i think its not exactly like it but simular, and its coming out for the pc and xbox

has anyone played it yet?

Duke
06-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Ship date was today, so probably no one playing it till tomorrow. I'm gonna wait on this one.

As far as slave trading, no idea. It was there in Morrowind (kind of) so I guess the only reason it'd be pulled would be Disney.

Marthafocker218
06-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Well then... i'll probly rent it then. Saw that review and it seems pretty good. I'll get it for xbox caiuse my pc runs some games too slow sometimes.

Kyle Static
06-30-2003, 07:02 PM
The graphics in those screenshots really sucked. I hope those were from the early stages. I just got back into morrowind and I'm really loving it, so I doubt I'll be picking this title up on release.

diranged
06-30-2003, 11:31 PM
where did u read the review at.
when u get the game please leave a review or your thoughts on the game.thanx

Marthafocker218
07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
i menat to say that i saw the preview posted here.

thrAsher
07-01-2003, 01:16 AM
I don't know about slaves, but you can trade 'knippels'. Hehehehe.

I bet w/ Disney involved, you aren't gonna see a whole lot of slave trading. But who knows, Disney was apparently very open to the developer's ideas.

And Bethesda is only publishing the title. Akella (?) is the Dev. team, I believe.

So, who knows. This thing could sneak up and really gain a following. It is only out for the Box and PC.

diranged
07-01-2003, 01:17 AM
oh ok

diranged
07-01-2003, 01:34 AM
oh my freaking god!!!!!!!! why!!!!!!! they pushed it back again! ahhhhhhhhh!!! now its being released 7/7/03 it says so at gamestop.com

http://www.gamestop.com/comingsoon.asp?platform=26&sortby=eta&imageFlag=show
:cuss: :mad:

SkoalMint
07-01-2003, 05:59 AM
EBGames (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/229041.asp) shows it as having already shipped.

Plus my local EB said it would definitely be in the store today. Hopefully, GameStop just has some bad info.

rpgreligion also posted a link to an article saying the game had shipped here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37739)

Duke
07-01-2003, 10:06 AM
IGN has it as shipped too. Honestly, Gamestop in my experience, has been the least reliable of almost all sources (only OXM is worse) for release/ship dates.

Knight
07-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by diranged
oh my freaking god!!!!!!!! why!!!!!!! they pushed it back again! ahhhhhhhhh!!! now its being released 7/7/03 it says so at gamestop.com

http://www.gamestop.com/comingsoon.asp?platform=26&sortby=eta&imageFlag=show
:cuss: :mad:

My near by EB has it. I just called Gamestop and they should be getting it today.

diranged
07-01-2003, 01:04 PM
i just called my local eb and gamespot and they both dont have it! i also called gamequest and gamecrazy, no has it they all say to call back later or tomorrow. :cry:

Styx
07-01-2003, 01:43 PM
I got it came in today.I have played it about 30 min. It looks good and plays great> I will be able to tell you more later.

yall
07-01-2003, 01:54 PM
I just got it, played it for about an hour. Some initial impressions:

Graphics: Good. Very good when at sea. Storms are beutiful.

Sound: Not too bad, music fits setting.

Gameplay: Melee combat seems alright, sea combat is hard, but you have alot to focus on such as boarding ship positioning, etc. Overall pretty good.

Seems to be a good cross b/n Pirates and Morrowind, which is what most people were expecting. I only have one complaint so far. The game is clunky. Buttons don't seem very responsive, and there is a fair amount of slowdown when you are on land.

I have to go back and play some more to get a better impression.

diranged
07-01-2003, 04:09 PM
phew, i just got it also.:D i called again and eb just got them in. ill play for awhile and ill post my impressions

Knight
07-01-2003, 05:20 PM
I want a f'ing battleship now. Sea battle are to dam hard.

diranged
07-01-2003, 05:36 PM
ahhh its hard being a pirate!!!!

Xorg
07-01-2003, 06:32 PM
so if i enjoyed morrowind alot, is this game worth getting?

Arven
07-01-2003, 06:55 PM
I've been listening to a lot of initial impressions on this game, and a lot of people complain about choppiness, chugging, or slowdown -- not a minor hiccup, either, but pretty bad. Some people say it's due to the disc streaming data to the hard drive, and that it clears up after an hour of play -- and yet some others say it returns again for another hour, after you load a game save. Some say the slowdown is terrible, some say it's not even there. Your impressions?

yall
07-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Arven
I've been listening to a lot of initial impressions on this game, and a lot of people complain about choppiness, chugging, or slowdown -- not a minor hiccup, either, but pretty bad. Some people say it's due to the disc streaming data to the hard drive, and that it clears up after an hour of play -- and yet some others say it returns again for another hour, after you load a game save. Some say the slowdown is terrible, some say it's not even there. Your impressions?

The slowdowns did seem to go away (at least to the point where the game was playable). I'll have to play more to say for sure though.

diranged
07-01-2003, 11:38 PM
the slowdown seemed to slow down:D the game is good if u like morrowind its worth a rent. the game is actually hard unlike other games where u beat in a matter of a day. this will keep me in my room for a long time. the graphics are amazing especially at sea(droling) ok the gameplay is like morrowind. the combat is much better than morrowind. so far the highlight of the game has been when a buddy ship and me were battiling it out wit two other pirate ships. when the smoke cleared it was me and my trusty buddy ship. i noticed that they lost alot of men and took some damage in the battle. so i decided i needed another ship so i moved along side the ship and i boarded it, poor *******s. i took their ship and sold it for a hefty amount of loot. so far i give it an 8/10

hebgbz
07-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Is it true that the controls are inverted and you can't change it? That would cause me to skip it.

Marthafocker218
07-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Don't u think this slowdown is something that can be fixed. You know, kind of like a bad bug that needs to be fixed and then relased again in a later release without it. Or do you guys think that maybe it would be impossible to fix this prob?

CarGuy
07-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Slowdown isn't that bad. The best part about it is i still havent got a "Dirty Disc Error". Dont let slowdown stop you from buying this game, its not like its a super fast paced game anyway.

Chaotic
07-03-2003, 09:11 AM
i have it on the pc and its actually pretty good :)

yall
07-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Well, the slowdown does appear to go away. I did get the dirty disc error once, but other than that the game is great.

There does seem to be a fair amount of bugs though. For instance, after I recon'd Oxbay, i was going back to Greenwhatever and no matter what I did, the English soilders kept attacking me. I re-loaded and it still kept happening. I went to the prior save, and it didnt happen. Lots of little weird stuff like that, but like I said, the game is still great.

I have a question though. Does anyone know how to see a map of all of the islands? I have been sailing around in random directions looking for one in particular, but can't find it. There should be a way to zoom all the way out to see all of the islands at once, or at the very least the game should have come with a map.

Chaotic
07-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by yall
Well, the slowdown does appear to go away. I did get the dirty disc error once, but other than that the game is great.

There does seem to be a fair amount of bugs though. For instance, after I recon'd Oxbay, i was going back to Greenwhatever and no matter what I did, the English soilders kept attacking me. I re-loaded and it still kept happening. I went to the prior save, and it didnt happen. Lots of little weird stuff like that, but like I said, the game is still great.

I have a question though. Does anyone know how to see a map of all of the islands? I have been sailing around in random directions looking for one in particular, but can't find it. There should be a way to zoom all the way out to see all of the islands at once, or at the very least the game should have come with a map.

I haven't noticed any of these problems on the pc version :huh: Im also running it on a radeon 9800 256 meg :cheers: and a system probably 5'x more powerful then the xbox so that could be why :)

Duke
07-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage

I haven't noticed any of these problems on the pc version :huh: Im also running it on a radeon 9800 256 meg :cheers: and a system probably 5'x more powerful then the xbox so that could be why :)

:twirls finger:

as far as the map goes, I don't think there is one. It's one of the major complaints I've seen so far. Of course there will probably be a VERY detailed online one w/ search like there was for morrowind soon.

yall
07-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Important!!!

You can view the full map in sea mode. Click the right thumbstick, and you can scroll around the map. Woo Hoo! Thanks goes out to Liquid Fury and Cush over at the www.teamxbox.com forums!

Dyslexic Chaos
07-03-2003, 11:32 PM
I have also bought the game, and it seems like the slowdown does go away after awhile. I was pretty sure it was the Xbox cacheing, because u could hear it do it. But I wonder why they couldn't do this at the start of the game, like in morrowind. Neway, the gameplay is pretty good, although the sea battles are pretty confusing already (I admittadley haven't read the instructions yet, but...). The melee seems fun so far. I guess this is another game that has to grow on you...

diranged
07-04-2003, 12:14 AM
the slow down has stoped completly. it was there for 45 mins when i first started the game, but not that bad. every time i load a save game there is no slowdown. i finally got the hang of sea battles. i already boarded a couple of ships and sold them. the gameplay is great. i wanted to play for an hour i started at 11pm i was later inturupted by my damn dogs, so i walked out of my room and it was. almost 3am. the time flies when playing this game, ive restricted myself from playing in the night. i need my sleep. overall this game rocks makes me really tired during the day but its worth it.:D

CarGuy
07-04-2003, 03:13 AM
Am i the first person 'round here to see the "Black Pearl"? Pretty sweet, i wont ruin it for anyone who hasn't... ;) I also got into hiring officers that follow you around. I love the inclusion of groups of people fighting. In morrowind it seemed like it was you against the world and every NPC just stood still.

SkoalMint
07-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by yall
Important!!!

You can view the full map in sea mode. Click the right thumbstick, and you can scroll around the map. Woo Hoo! Thanks goes out to Liquid Fury and Cush over at the www.teamxbox.com forums!

Sweet, thanks for the tip yall. So far, this was one of my biggest complaints.

diranged
07-04-2003, 01:58 PM
yeah i saw the black pearl too scared me for awhile.:watchout:
i also have hired people to walk wit me and fight. this game is better than morrowind.

Snoop E
07-04-2003, 03:20 PM
I read the preveiw here and i thought it sounded to be a pretty good game, i know im going to pick it up cause its on live and all,someone metioned it was like morrowwind, i never got a chance to play morrowind i guess ill go out and rent it.:cheers:

SPARTAN VI
07-04-2003, 04:38 PM
I think I'll wait for XBA/IGN's review on this one. A lot of you guys seem to like it, and I love Morrowind (so much I got rid of it, and now I'm going to pick up the gold ed later :) ) so chances are I'll try to pick it up. Only problem is my sister, she's been hoggin the Xbox and b****s when I don't let her play. So, I'm going to get my other Xbox fixed up, then I'll buy PotC.

Arven
07-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Mac0789
... i know im going to pick it up cause its on live and all ...

Just so you know, Mac, it is NOT on Live. Single-player only.

shrew king
07-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Can you steal stuff?

Also, worth 50 bucks or no?

diranged
07-05-2003, 08:05 PM
yeah you can steal stuff, you go into someones house and take stuff out of their chess.

i think its worth $50, im really into fps and i love this game

Duke
07-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
I think I'll wait for XBA/IGN's review on this one. .

IGN gave it a 7.5

Xorg
07-05-2003, 08:32 PM
I just got this game today and i have been playing it all day. its that addictive. This game sucked me in just like morrowind did, just trying to improve me guy. Melee battles are really fun and Sea battles can be complicated but then once you get the hang of it can be real fun, I just cant wait to get alot of gold and new ships, guess i got to start boarding ships and smuggling:D

diranged
07-06-2003, 06:56 PM
smuggling must take alot of time. you only find a lil bit of stuff in the house its not really worth the trouble. or am i doing this wrong. i go into a hous and take whatever is in the chess, usually theres nothing.:watchout:

Xorg
07-06-2003, 11:17 PM
smuggling must take alot of time. you only find a lil bit of stuff in the house its not really worth the trouble. or am i doing this wrong. i go into a hous and take whatever is in the chess, usually theres nothing.

Usually i pay 5 gold at the tavern for a room and there is usually a potion in the chest, i also found a gold nugget in there once, dont know what its worth yet though

diranged
07-06-2003, 11:27 PM
whats up with the black pearl?:watchout:

diranged
07-09-2003, 12:12 AM
how far have u guys got. any pirate stories that u have to tell about the game.

MerimacHamwich
07-09-2003, 02:28 AM
I love this game. However, I have not yet made it very "far."
So far I have escaped a hurricane, braved some ravaging storm seas and boosed up a French captain to extract information from him.

Good times.

diranged
07-09-2003, 12:36 PM
ive never seen a hurricane yet i just been in bad storms, did u kill the french captain or did u let him go? i let him go and the town gaurds were always after me so i just restarted to last saved and killed him.

LongBow
07-09-2003, 03:56 PM
This game rocks, Im going to get it when I get payed.
Sea battles are really fun, and boarding and commandeering other ships is real cool. I got a nice big Brig class ship, that I use for cargo holding.

cheetahmanhood
07-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Pirates of The Carribean sounds like a fun game, but what is the game about, and what exactly do you do in it? I would like to at least give it a rent, since I can't afford it.

diranged
07-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by cheetahmanhood
Pirates of The Carribean sounds like a fun game, but what is the game about, and what exactly do you do in it? I would like to at least give it a rent, since I can't afford it.

i would really think about getting this one especially that your leaving to bolivia. this game will have you playing for hours. i would get this game and mm3 or sof 2 basicly your a pirate whos trying to find jobs and some loot. the storie is good and its a never ending game. the battles are good and the sailing is also really good.

MerimacHamwich
07-10-2003, 06:38 PM
What is your reputation at?
Mine is at "Bloody Terror."

XBOX MSSC
07-11-2003, 09:47 AM
"Horror of the High Seas"

I just saw the black pearl this morning, i can wait to own it. Does anyone know how to beat santos' 3 job?

BTW I saw the movie last night is was pretty good. :cheers:

aj142
07-11-2003, 12:33 PM
As long as those damn constantly attacking rats and oversized bats from Morrowind don't make a second appearance in this game, then I'll be happy to give it a try.

Xorg
07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by aj142
As long as those damn constantly attacking rats and oversized bats from Morrowind don't make a second appearance in this game, then I'll be happy to give it a try.

you should give it a try then:D

Ugunnalose
07-11-2003, 03:14 PM
what do u do when you see the black pearl? are u supposed to try to board it?

SakapuntaS
07-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I just got PoTC (for the pc) and i'm pretty much confused as to whats going on. I did the basic starting stuff in Oxbay (sp?), I bought a spyglass, fixed the boat, and now my little tutorial guy tells me to buy some silk and sandals and head off to Redmon to sell it for a greater share. Great, so I'm thinking im about to start my own little trading buisness - I leave the port- Only to witness a cutscene of the dreaded French taking over. I forget about it, and after 10 tries, make it to Redmond, except for one thing, where the hell am I supposed to dock? I see no city on the island so I toured the entire body of land about 10 times before reloading my saved game when I was still in Oxbay. From there, I chilled and walked around trying to find something to do with myself. I can't find out what to do in my beginning stature, if some brave pirate on this forum is willing to help me out a bit...I would be much obliged.

-Saka

p.s. Oh yeah..What's up with the mammoth ships always picking on my tiny sailboat that could possibly fit in a bathtub??

Ugunnalose
07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
when you get there you have to press y and you will have a thing that you can scroll over that says sail to. then you select port and you will be there then you select more and you will be on dryland and ready to sell your silk and sandal and tell the governor what happened.

MerimacHamwich
07-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SakapuntaS

p.s. Oh yeah..What's up with the mammoth ships always picking on my tiny sailboat that could possibly fit in a bathtub??
Think of it this way, if you were a pirate with a fleet of ships, would you attack another huge fleet of ships or would you annihalate those lesser than you?

SakapuntaS
07-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Well - If "i was a pirate" - I would attack places/people/things that I could loot, and benefit from. When the pirates attack my little boat, they are actually losing profit *ammo, men, boat repair*, because to tell you the truth, My little coalition I have going right now is worth squat.

VenoM
07-11-2003, 06:11 PM
well..just checked out the game for a minute or 2 and my first impression......the controls are horrid :eek: (pc version btw) terrible controls...i guess i have to map them to my liking...maybe i can enable the controller to work for it....

MerimacHamwich
07-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
well..just checked out the game for a minute or 2 and my first impression......the controls are horrid :eek: (pc version btw) terrible controls...i guess i have to map them to my liking...maybe i can enable the controller to work for it....
Yeah, the default control scheme isn't good on the PC. I remapped it right away. My first impressions were not good either, but I kept with it for another 5 minutes and grew to absolutely love and adore this game.

Ugunnalose
07-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Yeah i hated it for the first little bit but than it hooked me.

diranged
07-13-2003, 11:37 AM
is there a big difference in the pc version then the xbox version. besides the button scheme. :huh: