PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit

frog11983
06-28-2003, 09:47 AM
I've never seen this before, looks like its almost done already!

The Hobbit is based on J.R.R. Tolkien's classic fantasy novel, and it follows the basic progression of the book, starting from Bilbo Baggins' introduction in Hobbiton and moving through all the major scenes of the story, including Mirkwood Forest, Laketown, and the Lonely Mountain. Primary characters from the book like Gandalf, Gollum, Smaug, and the dwarves make appearances throughout the game, but the only playable character is Bilbo. The development team has included a few areas in the game that are not included in the book, such as a complex, multilevel goblin cavern that features suspended railways, roads, working water wheels, and winding paths around giant stalagmites.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/04/24/vivendi/hobbit_screen001.jpg
-
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/e3/0514/thehobbitx_screen002.jpg
-
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/04/24/vivendi/hobbit_screen004.jpg

link (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/hobbit/previews.html)

Dre
06-28-2003, 09:51 AM
I don't know what to think. On one hand, its based on a really amazing book with trolls, dragons, dwarves, magicians and hobbits.

On the other hand, Bilbo can't be doing much fighting since he's such a wimp. I see on the 3rd screenshot that he's got his sword (whats it called again?) that glows when orcs are near. The graphics look like nothing special, the ground textures look especially bad. But, this could still be very early in development.

Thanks for the news, I'll be keeping an eye out for this.

frog11983
06-28-2003, 09:54 AM
The Hobbit is definitely intended for young players primarily, but since the game incorporates elements of action, stealth, role-playing, and puzzle solving and sticks quite closely to the plot of the book, we wouldn't be surprised if it became popular with just about anyone with an interest in The Lord of the Rings.

The release date on gamespot says september this year.... so I don't know how much better the visuals are going to get... :confused:

Himji
06-28-2003, 02:56 PM
The sword is called sting.

He gave it to Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring

MerimacHamwich
06-28-2003, 05:11 PM
First off, this game has been in development for the Gamecube since its conception. It was then later also slated for release on Xbox. Thus, I doubt it will look much better becuase multiplatform games are notorious for mediocracy.

Second, for those of you bashing the graphics, have you not yet noticed that it is designed to look cartoony/fantasy-ish? I personally think it looks great. Especially that Smaug shot. The worst shot is probably the one with Bilbo, and it really isn't bad at all.

Thirdly, since when was their not a "multilevel cave with goblins and orcs" in the book? There is, was and always has been one. Thats where Bilbo meets Gollum.

Anyhow, I have been folowing this game and really hope it meets my standards.

Dre
06-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Second, for those of you bashing the graphics, have you not yet noticed that it is designed to look cartoony/fantasy-ish? I personally think it looks great. Especially that Smaug shot. The worst shot is probably the one with Bilbo, and it really isn't bad at all.

That would be me bashing the graphics. Zelda looks cartoony/fantasy-ish. This, my friend, looks like crap. Look at the grass, the ground, etc. Its all nice big flat surfaces with a green or brown colored plain texture. Its friggin ugly mate! I especially like the horde of gold that the dragon is protecting. People who've read the book know thats what that ugly brown mound is supposed to be. I just don't see how you could see something like this and say it looks great.

dances with broom sticks
06-29-2003, 12:32 PM
This looks to me like it could be pulled of graphic wise on a N64

thrAsher
06-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Dre

That would be me bashing the graphics. Zelda looks cartoony/fantasy-ish. This, my friend, looks like crap. Look at the grass, the ground, etc. Its all nice big flat surfaces with a green or brown colored plain texture. Its friggin ugly mate! I especially like the horde of gold that the dragon is protecting. People who've read the book know thats what that ugly brown mound is supposed to be. I just don't see how you could see something like this and say it looks great.

Hahahah! I wasn't sure if that was gold or not!

I agree that it looks like last year's schwag, but ultimately, I want to know how it plays. I love Tolkien's Middle-Earth, so I'm sure I'll at least rent this sucker.

And while Smaug looks ok, what is up with those Orcs? They look like they fell out of a Samurai Jack episode! hahaha.

Nice post, though, frog.