PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Hands-On

Brevity
06-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Lengthy hands-on time with PS2 and Xbox versions. New screens and impressions.

June 27, 2003 - Like its brother label, Rockstar Games, the newly renamed Gotham publishing label has its own fascination with street crime, the mafia and most things illegal. Its craving to deliver all the best games covering the darker side of life is leading the unique third-person action-shooter Mafia to arrive on PlayStation 2 and Xbox in the October/November timeframe.

Giving IGN a solid hour to play through three interspersed missions throughout the 20 level game, we attained a better look and feel for this stylistic and genuinely interesting game. Honestly, I can see why Gotham wanted us to take a deeper look at it. Mafia doesn't necessarily knock one's socks off with its mechanical systems or relatively average technology, but it succeeds in telling an excellent mob story, creates a believable environment, replete with a wide range of driving levels in open city landscapes and shooting levels, and it's filled with a reserve of unique gameplay elements worthy of your time and money.
Source: IGN (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/426/426361p1.html)
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/Motel.jpg

Shadow20002
06-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey, Mafia is coming on October or November ? Anyway, i don't mind on it anymore just because is old and the way Gotham Games treat it, like they don't want the game cover on consoles. Keeping delay no stop. ;)

stilly
07-01-2003, 10:57 AM
i had mafia on the pc, liked it, the towns huge, and as GTA wasn't out on pc, this filled the gap, a bit to much drivin to start with though, and then i hit the race part,:cuss: where you have to win a race. i ain't won it, gave up tryin. hopefully it'll be easier on the xbox, i mean using the arrow keys, is a p!ss poor way of drivin a car on the pc anyways. you get a into your roleas tommy in mafia, due to the polished cutscenes and story, the shootins a bit hit miss, the city feels really alive, you have to drive under a certain speed or ya get pulled over, which can get on ya tits, but not much. i may invest in a second hand copy, just to see what happens after the poxy race.

Duke
07-01-2003, 11:13 AM
As much as I really wanted this game, like GTA, I find myself disinterested.

I've got good non-xbl games I haven't even finished yet. If this ends up being amazingly good (and from what I hear it's only really good) I just don't see myself picking it up. Too much time goes by, I lose interest.

Thanks for the article though Brev.

GTA3 Dude
07-01-2003, 11:21 AM
This game was cool on the PC. Lets hope it is still good on Xbox.

Kyle Static
07-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Graphics look crappy, damn PS2 version. The game always seemed like it would be cool, but apparently it's way more linear than GTA, making you drive certain places rather than freely roam the city.

Chaotic
07-01-2003, 01:28 PM
i loved this game on pc and will not own it on the xbox.