PDA

View Full Version : Who else is tired of games not living up to the hype?

Hermes Pan
06-28-2003, 09:58 PM
it's almost always the same thing. a mag like OXM will gush about how excited they are about this new game, will say how great it's looking and how much fun it's gonna be from a year before it comes out right up to the preview and quality time. suddenly, once the game is actually reviewed, they say what a disappointment the game turned out to be! is it all bull**** hype, or are they really that stupid?

thrAsher
06-28-2003, 10:25 PM
I think it is hype, mostly. People get so pumped for a game that they think it's gonna be this massive mindf#@k. Then when it doesn't deliver all the goods, they bash it. And yes, I think lots of times they aren't quite what we were 'promised'.

My big pet peeve is ported games. PC ports are fine, bring 'em on. But PS2 ports, come on! :cuss:

I got an Xbox for topnotch console games. And twelve months from now, I have a hunch that we're going to have more Xbox Only powerhouses than we can handle.

And I'm sure the overhyped will be there to bash good, solid games, because it gives them something to b][tch about.

:argue1:

l Maximus l
06-28-2003, 10:34 PM
I must admit, I've been the victim of hype...like RTCW. Personally, I think the game is a peice of garbage. Let the flaming begin :D

But, there are some games for the XBox where the hype never lived up to the game! Like Rallisport Challenge and Amped, for example. To me, both of those are solid titles :)

Spike Minoda
06-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah I played amped for hours on end, yet i heard that it sucked... I loved it. But i hate how good a game looks then it SUX ASS when it comes out.

Shadow20002
06-29-2003, 12:35 AM
Always, you must ask yourself if YOU like it or not, not from OXM or anything else. Like there are games that get under 50% in overall, but why just rent it and give it a try ? Maybe it's fun for you and the way you think: hah...it's fun so why they say is crap ? Everyone have differents tastes.

l Maximus l
06-29-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
Always, you must ask yourself if YOU like it or not, not from OXM or anything else. Like there are games that get under 50% in overall, but why just rent it and give it a try ? Maybe it's fun for you and the way you think: hah...it's fun so why they say is crap ? Everyone have differents tastes.

I agree to a point. But, let's take RTCW for a moment. This game is so damn lack luster that it's not funny. Eventhough a lot of people love this game and will defend for it, they may have not taken into consideration that you can only do one thing per map. There is only one objective to complete...

Now, take Halo, an awesome game, in comparison. On the multi-player levels, you can play Slayer, Team Slayer, Oddball, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, and a slew of others and still have ways to manipulate the rules and so on.

I realize that it's difficult to live up to a title like Halo...but, to be given the amount of hype that RTCW got, it should be.

Duke
06-29-2003, 06:07 AM
Well, there is also checkpoint (on some) and elimination on all but one of the maps.

Maybe not much, but the multiplayer is built around the different classes which make the most sense in the objective game.

If this game was overhyped it all, it was by the DDC. I wasn't even planning on picking it up until everyone was screaming that we'd be playing this on live all the time. Especially considering that it had been out on PC for a long time, I assumed that any hype could be checked by playing that version or talking to someone who did.

I'm certainly not saying this game is perfect, but it's a solid game that'll keep me busy until GR:IT, RS3, Halo2 and the rest come out.

Hermes Pan
06-29-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by thrAsher

My big pet peeve is ported games. PC ports are fine, bring 'em on. But PS2 ports, come on! :cuss:

ya never know. look at SoF 2. it's a pc port but it ended up looking like a PSO port for chrissakes! :mad:

i still love it though...

Arven
06-29-2003, 08:38 AM
I think magazines like to give games the benefit of the doubt, when they're in the "preview" mode. So you naturally get more positive impressions, then. The reviewers are giving the game a break, trusting that things will get tuned up before release, and hoping for the best. Previews are generally overly positive, because of this.

Duke
06-29-2003, 08:42 AM
I agree. Also, I assume a lot that's involved in a preview is what the dev. says is going to happen before release.

They've all got lofty goals for their games, and I doubt most purposely put out bad ones (although those batman games, come on. even they had to know) Just not all of them are talented enough to make their ambitions a reality.

hortys_99
06-29-2003, 05:47 PM
i never believe hype, i always just read about a game, deside from the gameplay examples whether I think it sounds cool, and then make my own desision. games i couldn't care less about that got alot of hype, brute force, mace griffin, stuff like that, games that i am looking forward to, black 9, fable, BC, advent rising, splinter cell:PT, HALO 2 and starcraft:ghost. thats about $350 in games within the next year, and i'm in debt about $800, that sucks, plus theres syphon filter, tony hawks underground and NFS:underground that i want for PS2.man, i need another job.

thrAsher
06-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Since I bought my Xbox, I've tried to research games as much as possible before I buy them. I've fallen prey to hype, in that I paid $50 for Enter the Matrix the day it came out and the next afternoon was like, "THAT'S the end?! What a bunch of bunk!"

All in all, however, I've found member reviews here at XBA to be informative and helpful. And I'm sure I've avoided some bombs because of them (Metal Dungeon comes to mind). Sure, there are tons of kids that get a game, get home, play for five minutes, then hop on the net and start cranking out these gushing, all caps kinda reviews:

"WOW! OMG, this game is THE BEST EVER!!!! You have to buy this game!!!"
.....and so on.

Then there are the slammers. The people who bash the crap out of a game because they feel jipped or whatever.

Personally, I look for the reviewers that seem honest, fair, and objective. And after reading a million different reviews, I make my decision. So far, I've been more than happy (despite the ETM fiasco, :cuss: ) with the purchases I've made.

Don't get me wrong, I go to other sites for info, too. But XBA's forums are the best, IMHO.

DocHoliday78
06-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Raw was the biggest letdown for me so far on xbox. It sucked horribly.

JR Alberda
06-30-2003, 07:23 PM
I do like the Matrix game, but I got to agree about RTCW. It was good for a bit on multiplayer (which is what I bought it for, I had PC already for single), I totally agree with this thread, personally Ive taken to stop reading reviews, I look at previews and faqs and decide for myself.

Some of the Games I would care to hype

KOTOR
BC
HALO2
CounterStrike
Fable
Amped 2

mabey some others, but these above will be gems. Although Im a bit worried about KOTOR, will have to wait and see. I do think its time to hock a few of my games though, thinking Amped (make room for Amped2), Matrix, Unreal Champs, DOAXBV, NHL 2003 and maybe RTCW.
I want to get SOF2 i think, just rented Mace Griffin and its not that great.

AlBoogy
06-30-2003, 09:15 PM
I strongly disagree with the RTCW bashers. To me its not about the many different things you can do per map. It is more about playing and seeing if the other team learns from its mistakes on the map before and vice versa. Its great to try different things to get your team to win.

Duke
07-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
I strongly disagree with the RTCW bashers. To me its not about the many different things you can do per map. It is more about playing and seeing if the other team learns from its mistakes on the map before and vice versa. Its great to try different things to get your team to win.

Eh, I disagree w/ most of their points too, but some of them are valid.

It does seem silly to not add in extra modes when all AAA titles that have come out for live are cash cows.

I mean, just by making that extra effort, you guarantee a somewhat successful title even if your next game isn't up to par.

Like I said, RTCW has it's problems as does every game out there. Not every game is for everyone, I'm not much of a basher, but I dislike a number of games that most seem to enjoy. Maxy isn't bashing RTCW, he just doesn't like games that don't involve shooting aliens. :p

hortys_99
07-14-2003, 05:03 PM
the best thing about OXM is the demo disc. even though dave rees can't get the content he says he'll get (KOLA CELL) sometimes it will have a demo before the game is out. i can also tell if i'll like a game by seeing gameplay footage, and there's some of that on the discs also.

CarGuy
07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Don't listen to the hype, i sure dont. I've never been let down by a game with the exception of POTC. The only game im letting the hype get to me is Fable.

Anthony4sho
07-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Hype sucks. I remember Brute Force was supposed to be the Halo-Killer, and that game sucked for me. I hope that does not happen with Halo 2, Doom 3, or any other big game already announced for the box.

Fanboy5000
07-15-2003, 02:53 AM
OXM is nothing but hype, and the demo disks the give are just plain bad.

Fable looks like a game that is being hyped outta control. EVERYONE is all over that game, while it don't look like all that to me, but thats me.....

l Maximus l
07-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Maxy isn't bashing RTCW, he just doesn't like games that don't involve shooting aliens. :p

DIE ALIENS!!! DIE!!!! :D

hehe...actually, the only thing about RTCW that rubs me wrong is the multi-player. I do like the Campaign...quite a bit, actually. But, even the Campaign playing cooperatively sucks major donkey nads. It's more choppy than the water in a bathtub after I fart in it.

CrazyCougar
07-15-2003, 04:26 PM
The most recent game I feel did not even come close to living up to the hype is Enter the Matrix. There was nothing extra special about the game in my opinion. I am just glad I didnt fall victim to the hype and shell out 50 bux on it. All this game was a sideline story to the movie and thats it.

They are going to have one heck of a time trying to hype of the next game after this last debacle. Then again its infogrames and I wouldnt expect to many quality games from them. Damn french...LOL

borka105
07-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I agree to a point. But, let's take RTCW for a moment. This game is so damn lack luster that it's not funny. Eventhough a lot of people love this game and will defend for it, they may have not taken into consideration that you can only do one thing per map. There is only one objective to complete...

Now, take Halo, an awesome game, in comparison. On the multi-player levels, you can play Slayer, Team Slayer, Oddball, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, and a slew of others and still have ways to manipulate the rules and so on.

I realize that it's difficult to live up to a title like Halo...but, to be given the amount of hype that RTCW got, it should be.

I personally think you are out of your mind to say something like this.

I feel that RTCW has WAY, let say this again: WAY MORE depth than Halo in MP.

Unlike Halo where everyone is a MASTERCHIEF.............

wait what does that mean?

It means everyone is exactly the same in attributes and in every other category.

In RTCW, you really need to work as a team. You got your medic who has more health than everyone else, but at the same time can heal the injured. You got your Lieutenant who can throw air striked and has unlimited ammo........ and so on..........

wait, isn't everyone the same in Halo!??? I wonder how that would work in RTCW? Wait it wouldn't!!

Oh and lets move on to the modes. Sure Halo has all those different modes, but how would a mode like Oddball work in RTCW when it's a completely different game??

Max remember, just because a game is an FPS, it doesn't mean it has to use the Halo Formula...

I am so sick and tired with people comparing every FPS to Halo, or how much better it would be if it had this or that which Halo has.

It's people like you that are the reason that companies like EA are making all those money. They appeal to the common folk and use the same generic formula over and over!

I bet you would rant and buy every game if it had the same modes as halo, the same guns as halo and the same story as Halo.

Heck, you gave Brute Force (piece of cr*P) a great score just because it WAS SO SIMILAR TO HALO!

WAKE UP BUDDY!

Modes like Oddball and King of the Hill are irrelevant in this game!

RTCW comes packed full with it's own modes: Checkpoint, Elimination, Stopwatch and Objective.

I don't know about you, but that seems eough to me. Not to mention that 99% of the multiplayer games in Halo are deathmatch to begin with.

RTCW has flawless controls, an entertaining single player, and damn fine Multiplayer. If you are too thickheaded to realize that....... well it's your loss. Because frankly, not every game should use the Halo formula and if this game did, it would be garbage.........

*my rant ends and remember it was only a rant!

-borka105

CarGuy
07-15-2003, 06:47 PM
I agree with Borka.

CrazyCougar
07-15-2003, 07:36 PM
My only problem with RTCW multiplayer is the online mode itself. And I thought that the lag was bad in NFL 2k3 , but htis game takes the cake. I think they could have done a better job trying to resolve that situation. i stoppe dplaying this game online due to the lag factor and now the game sits and collects dust.

borka105
07-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
My only problem with RTCW multiplayer is the online mode itself. And I thought that the lag was bad in NFL 2k3 , but htis game takes the cake. I think they could have done a better job trying to resolve that situation. i stoppe dplaying this game online due to the lag factor and now the game sits and collects dust.

I had the same problem as you, but all it took is a little asking around and now I rarely have lag games.

Infact, 99% I am playing 16 player lag free.

Jafo (member here) runs a server almost everyday which is lag free.

-borka105