PDA

View Full Version : The Linux mod

lotec16
06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
have u read the thing on the software linux mod on the front page? that is soooooooooooo cool, i want it right now so much, that would be so sweet to download, burn it to a cd and use it, i am drooling, i hope the people do release it and i hope microsoft doesn't care, and people are like microsoft is losing money from this, it said that u can't play pirated games on it and its not like ur buying a new box just for it, i want it so much,

rvb sucks, i talked a wee bit about it, just referenced to it and they edited me out of it, i still love the show tho

lotec16
06-28-2003, 10:50 PM
n e one know where to get it now?

afon
06-29-2003, 01:18 AM
If you would be referring to the one thats allready out, xbox-scene.com may have some links. The new expliot isnt out yet. This should be interesting to see what happends, because this expliot (if infact real) would let you and me play on xbox live with a pirated or hacked game, allowing us to cheat. Also, this would not only let us pirate but run homebrew apps and emulaters. Trust me, there is no reason to call this stuipid...All you need is a cd burner and you could be playing N64 games on your xbox for free.
But back to MS. A similar proposition was handed by the xbox-linux team a while ago, asking MS to sign thier bootloader compiled of all legal code and offered a small amount of money (trust me, no small in our terms) to sign it, no luck. Imagine buying 1,000 (usd) dollars worth of used xbox's, and running servers from them. Ms would be paying you to do it...ahh, im dreaming.
:cheers:

EDIT: and jeez, the xbox has one elite case, try and find a PC with a case like that w/ out overheating. :-D

lotec16
06-29-2003, 09:40 AM
i really wanna try this new hack!

bretman1234
06-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Im thinkin this may be closed........ Anyone second that?

lotec16
06-29-2003, 10:51 AM
whats closed? they take this topic out? that sux, y would they do that cuz we r just talken about an article xboxaddict but up themself

bretman1234
06-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by lotec16
whats closed? they take this topic out? that sux, y would they do that cuz we r just talken about an article xboxaddict but up themself

Yeah, but it seems to me like this may be going a little overboard. I mean ur talking about emulators and hacks and xbox-scene, all of these have something to do with modding and pirating. You may not be talking about all that, but trust me, your close.

lotec16
06-29-2003, 01:02 PM
not closed yet! i'd probly use my xbox more as a server and not to pirate games, maybe try to run seti or ud on it

Voodoo_Vince
06-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Lynux as an OS would be cool, but cheating on XBL would be weak and I hope this never happens and MS zaps your Xbox Dead if anyone is cheating . Cheating is for the Weak!!

lotec16
06-29-2003, 02:01 PM
well i heard xbl can sense a mod chip so right now u really can't cheat with xbl, and for u to cheat i think everyone has to have the cheat enabled, at least for now

ScorpionX
06-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bretman1234

Yeah, but it seems to me like this may be going a little overboard. I mean ur talking about emulators and hacks and xbox-scene, all of these have something to do with modding and pirating.

Actually, none of those have to do with pirating :rolleyes:

And as of right now, you are NOT able to play games that are off your HDD, so don't be speculating that this will cause cheating on XBL

Steve1987
06-29-2003, 04:30 PM
It would be cool if they could get Linux to run well enough to install and operate PC games.

My sister keeps bugging me because she can't play any of the new games that i can, so i would do this just to shut her up! :D

But that will never happen, back to looking on Ebay for crappy pc's with potential

lotec16
06-29-2003, 04:38 PM
i wonder y so many people think that its stupid, i think it would be awsome and i wanna know how to use it, n e one know where to download it from?

dances with broom sticks
06-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Pretty sure this violates forum rules. Personally I dont care if Linux comes out on xbox. Whoopiedoo, if I need to have linux so bad, I would have it on my PC. I bought XBOX to play XBOX, not LINUX.

It is illegal to modify your xbox, and this topic has already talked about pirating games, so I see a close coming soon

afon
06-29-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion}{
as of right now, you are NOT able to play games that are off your HDD, so don't be speculating that this will cause cheating on XBL
Your mixing up exploits, there are two:

Game save buffer overflow: This hack is a game save that has a file that acts like a real game save, and loads the app into memory and loads it. This can NOT load games, but can load everything else, there seems to be an issue with allready signed applications (retail)

New exploit: This expliot seems to be explioting the xbox dash, and with some luck may allow pirated games to load, but this is merely speculation..actually its speculation speculating that this exploit even exists

Dances with broom sticks: your an idiot, it doesnt just apply to linux. Imagine having an xbox TIVO, or emulation. The hacked xbox dash board allows you to load games on the fly, and if you want to exit there is a set of buttons you can press! (This is bios only though). If xboxaddict closes this thread, it will only proove more that ms controls this site with strings, puppet style.

dances with broom sticks
06-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by afon

Dances with broom sticks: your an idiot, it doesnt just apply to linux. Imagine having an xbox TIVO, or emulation. The hacked xbox dash board allows you to load games on the fly, and if you want to exit there is a set of buttons you can press! (This is bios only though). If xboxaddict closes this thread, it will only proove more that ms controls this site with strings, puppet style.

Actually, the thread is called "The Linux mod " and is about LINUX..... so, yes, this thread does apply to linux. I dont think you have any right to call me an idiot. I was posing my opinion and i stated that, so I pretty sure I can talk about just linux if I want to. You seem quite the arrogent fool, who is willing to bend morals to save a few bucks on some extras. Why dont you go out and buy a TIVO, or whatever system your emulating, so that the people that worked hard on it get what the deserve?

How would you like if someone started being able to make free happy meals, and you no longer got paid for making the burgers you make (Im assuming you dont have a job much better then fast food clerk).

afon
06-29-2003, 11:24 PM
You have no right to call me a fool, you idiot.
;) its all good, no hate ment.
How do i twist morals, most of the things you state morally wrong should be acceptable by law, the DMCA is evil..they are taking your rights.

afon
06-29-2003, 11:37 PM
btw, the happy meal thing was ignorant to say the least. If people were giving out free happy meals, i guess the public would actually get what god gave them as free things. Your a very capitol person. Youd make a good forigen nike factory boss. You could watch those kids work for a penny and get harrased, but be blinded by the money. Go fight against your own political party.

LynxFX
06-29-2003, 11:42 PM
This will be the only warning. There will be no more personal attacks of any kind towards another member of any kind. This whole thread is borderline, so don't do something stupid like calling someone an idiot and getting it closed. I will also add, keep the posts on topic about linux and the proposed linux mod exploit as was posted on the front page. Do not go into how to currently mod the Xbox as that will be cause to have this closed and/or deleted. We don't want to stir up any trouble.

dances with broom sticks
06-29-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by afon
btw, the happy meal thing was ignorant to say the least. If people were giving out free happy meals, i guess the public would actually get what god gave them as free things. Your a very capitol person. Youd make a good forigen nike factory boss. You could watch those kids work for a penny and get harrased, but be blinded by the money. Go fight against your own political party.

I was only kiddin around, Plus im only recently 18, so I dont consider myself to have a political party, as I didnt vote, and dont really agree with any of the parties. Plus I was a manager at a BK, so the fast food crack was just some harmless fun. Now that you say that though, the food thing was a bad example sorta.

But u gotta admit, if someone works hard to make sumthing, they deserve some credit and not to be completely ripped off ( of course im a complete hipocrete(sp?) when it comes to this

afon
06-29-2003, 11:55 PM
You seem cool, im sorry it was me starting the flames. But replying to Dances with broom sticks: yes, i completly agree to your statement..but the capitol these companys make is ridiculas. Anyway, back to the linux mod...
:cheers:

Kortiz
06-30-2003, 02:53 AM
I'd say it is pretty ignant....this whole linux thing.

Himji
06-30-2003, 03:55 AM
I don't get it, why else would you want to run linux on an xbox unless it's to allow you to then go on and do illegal things?

I say they're not giving M$ a choice at all in this case. It's like take this gun and shoot yourself or I'll do it for you :|

lotec16
06-30-2003, 06:33 AM
well id have to say, i probly wouldn't pirate games if i had the linux mod, i really only play halo

Diddy
06-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Having an OS on your Xbox would make it into a PC, and u all know what u can do with a PC, and imagine what would happen to Live.

I already had a guy threaten me on UC, actually it was someones buddy here, i wont mention names but the guy threatened me with an Xbox Virus. The person that is registered here told me that he hacked microsoft and got caught. And Im not too up to date on my laws, but Im pretty sure thats a crime. The "Hackers Friend" told me he had Linux already on his Xbox but, a week or two after the meeting of us, my clan buddy runs into him and the Hacker asks him if I liked my Virus, and my buddy tells him the I didnt get a virus, then he tells my buddy, and I quote, "Oh the virus takes about a week to kick in."

And Im not trying to get this thread closed, im merely posting to show u all the potential of what having Linux on the wrong person's Xbox can do. Now Im pretty sure the guy threatening me was just a jerkoff, but I imagine xbox viruses will be reality once Linux gets popular on Xbox.

Kraft
06-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Modded Xbox's aren't going to be seen roaming around on live until someone cracks the 1028 bit MS hardware security key. Right now here is how Xbox live loads up:

You power up your XBox
Your bios issues a security key to all your Xbox components
Xbox Live loads up
Xbox Live checks security keys to make sure they are valid
Xbox Live then registers your Xbox embedded serial number
Once keys check out, you are allowed to log on.

Now here is what would happen if you tried to log on with any other sort of modded system:

You power up your Xbox
The Xbox bios is bypassed and no security keys are issued
Xbox Live loads up
Xbox Live notices that no security keys are instated on your system
Xbox Live then reads your Xbox's Serial number, then bans it.
After that your Xbox can never log onto live again.

And the guy is totally BSing you about the virus. One: noone who makes a virus would even bother putting in any sort of time delay. Two, if you made a virus and infected someone's harddrive, you wouldn't be stupid enough to tell them about it, as they can sue you for multiple things resulting in a grand loss of money.

lotec16
06-30-2003, 12:55 PM
i never thought about a virus, that would suck if people started to do that, but the xbox already does have an os on it, just not a normal one, it uses a slimmed down windows 2000

lotec16
06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
1028 bit MS hardware security key i do believe it is 2048 bit, the same type of encyption banks use

Kraft
06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
i do believe it is 2048 bit, the same type of encyption banks use

thats probably it. I might have also mixed up the way the xbox processes and stores encryption keys, as it has been so long since I looked into it, but you get the point :)

Oh, and the Windows 2000 and Windows XP both run on the winNT kernel (which is why you can find a folder named that on your HD. I believe it is stripped down to about 75k in size.

levelzero
06-30-2003, 03:30 PM
As a Linux Guru, I am in fact interested in this. It would be pretty neat to boot off a CD and run Linux on the hardware. The 1st benefits of this I can think of off the top of my head are DiVX movies, MAME, web surfing on the TV, VCDs.....heck an apache Xbox for web hosting!

As far as pirating goes..........people who are into that, have already done it. A signed Linux Boot loader allowing for OS loading, without game piracy....that's pretty cool. If you reading this looking for info on piracy / mods.......there is a little site called Google you should look into.

Heck it it is true, it is a testament to what bored college students working on CS degrees can do. My hat is off to them....they are better then me. :)

lotec16
06-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by levelzero

As far as pirating goes..........people who are into that, have already done it. A signed Linux Boot loader allowing for OS loading, without game piracy....that's pretty cool.
well put :)

Snoopy7548
06-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Now here is what would happen if you tried to log on with any other sort of modded system:

You power up your Xbox
Xbox Live loads up

kraft, youre wrong about logging in with a modded xbox. i dont want this post to be deleted, so i wont say how to do it. ill just say that it IS possible to do it without getting banned or caught...you can PM me if you want to know how...

ScorpionX
06-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Snoopy do you mean with a switch? Because you are not on XBL with the mod chip enabled because you are running the original bios. As far as I know there is and probably will never be a way to get onto XBL with a mod chip and/or Linux.

Snoopy7548
06-30-2003, 06:57 PM
oh haha. yeah i guess i never thought of that...:watchout:

Yankeez
07-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Modded Xbox's aren't going to be seen roaming around on live until someone cracks the 1028 bit MS hardware security key. Right now here is how Xbox live loads up:

You power up your XBox
Your bios issues a security key to all your Xbox components
Xbox Live loads up
Xbox Live checks security keys to make sure they are valid
Xbox Live then registers your Xbox embedded serial number
Once keys check out, you are allowed to log on.

You power up your Xbox
Xbox Live loads up

And the guy is totally BSing you about the virus. One: noone who makes a virus would even bother putting in any sort of time delay. Two, if you made a virus and infected someone's harddrive, you wouldn't be stupid enough to tell them about it, as they can sue you for multiple things resulting in a grand loss of money.

Well, you can get back on Live. Xbox Live just bans your Xbox's HD key. Not your gamer account.

To get back onto Live, you MUST obtain an unbanned EEPROM. You must get it from a friend who has a modded Xbox and doesn't plan to go on Xbox Live. To update your Xbox's EEPROM with a unbanned EEPROM

that simple

Himji
07-01-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by levelzero
As a Linux Guru, I am in fact interested in this. It would be pretty neat to boot off a CD and run Linux on the hardware. The 1st benefits of this I can think of off the top of my head are DiVX movies, MAME, web surfing on the TV, VCDs.....heck an apache Xbox for web hosting!

As far as pirating goes..........people who are into that, have already done it. A signed Linux Boot loader allowing for OS loading, without game piracy....that's pretty cool. If you reading this looking for info on piracy / mods.......there is a little site called Google you should look into.

Heck it it is true, it is a testament to what bored college students working on CS degrees can do. My hat is off to them....they are better then me. :)

Just one word of note, you know that your DivX and VCD movies are pirates right?

Kraft
07-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Yankeez

To get back onto Live, you MUST obtain an unbanned EEPROM. You must get it from a friend who has a modded Xbox and doesn't plan to go on Xbox Live. To update your Xbox's EEPROM with a unbanned EEPROM

that simple

That simple if you know how to unlock a hd, bless it with the new EEPROM and relock it. Of course you also have to find a REALLY nice friend who NEVER plans on getting live ever...

BTW snoopy, I was discussing people spreading viruses and stuff over live, which would only be possible if you are logging on with an Xbox mod running, which is impossible at the moment.

levelzero
07-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Just one word of note, you know that your DivX and VCD movies are pirates right?

Huh? No they are not. The RIAA has ownership rights to my home movies? I have DiVx / VCD home movies I made. I have a co-worker with a linux box hooked up to his TV that records TV shows in VCD format for him to watch later, that is the same thing as a VCR. My wedding, kids birth, tons of stuff I'm personally turned into DivX & VCD.

Don't think that a file format (DivX, mp3, VCD) equals pirate.

If someone owns a knife, does that make them a murderer?

Himji
07-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Sure, I did consider that before posting but the simple fact is, the vast majority of people are using these formats to watch pirated movies. Personally, I don't care less, I was just pointing out the fact incase you was like the concensus of not seeing it as illigal because you're not selling it on etc...

Personally, I got a dvd player for playing these formats and that's about all I need, but I can see how people want to double up...

afon
07-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Himji

OH MY GOD, LOCK THE POOP DECKS, YOUR DIVX IS RUNNING FOR YOUR PIRATE TREASURE!

Btw, would most of you know NO bios modification would be required for this attack? This has nothing to do with BIOS'S, since that method is no longer required (if this is infact true). The only way MS could catch you doing this, is by checking for un authorized harddrive content (linux). And even then, linux live could be an option..or maybe dyne:bolic. Then all linux saves (logs etc) could be kept on a huge memory card. You just never know, lets stop talking out of our asses and wait, this should be a fun ride :-).

EDIT: xbox live is very secure, anyone talking about viruses on XBL should be embarrased so bad he will cry, so do this:
1)ask him how he got the XDK
2)ask him what linux is
3)ask him if he knows any C++
4)ask him how he bypassed the xbox live security checks
5)then ask him how he managed to gain access to secure server

if he answers i dont know to any of those questions, you got yourself a genuine homo..so report him to MS

lotec16
07-01-2003, 02:27 PM
they should jack up the price to back to 300 for a special linux edition for cluster servers

Himji
07-02-2003, 02:41 AM
they should jack up the price to back to 300 for a special linux edition for cluster servers

LOL

lotec16
07-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Himji

LOL lol what i thought it was a good idea, but i bet not many people would buy it,

Himji
07-02-2003, 01:51 PM
I rekon all the linux geeks will buy it as an ultimate spit in the face of Microsoft

Batman2372
07-02-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm a Linux fan AND an Xbox fan. I'm all for making Linux work on it. I don't want to pirate the games. What I WOULD like to see is a DVD-Bootable Linux Entertainment Management system. I would love to be able to access my mp3 collection and play it over the Xbox (which is connected to my home theater). The same would be true of my home movies that I have saved in avi format. My current DVD player cannot play burned VCDs, so right now I'm a little SOL, so this idea is a great.

What I don't want is loading it onto the harddrive so that Xbox functionality is compromised. In essence, what I want is a loadable OS (which is easily done on PCs right now, I can make a floppy disc bootable Linux OS).

Meekerman
07-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Seriously, what is the point? You want to watch your home movies on an XBox? You want other formats utilized on your XBox? You want to run Linux on xbox so you can run SETI? MS created Xbox for the entertainment of gamers, not Linux users. The article made it pretty clear that this hacker group will release a linux mod that would possibly have the capabilities to pirate games and the like and that it would be released if MS didn't release their own version.

Question 1:
Why would MS release a Linux mod when Linux itself is in direct competition with Windows.

Question 2:(two part)
Why does a person feel the need to cheat in a platform that shows a persons skill? Is it really that important to be #1?

Question 3:
Why do people feel the need to complain about corporate greed and selfishness when they themselves are only out for one thing...to better the position that they stand in?

lotec16
07-02-2003, 04:57 PM
ya know what? its all for pure geeky fun, i just think it would be cool, like whatching the halo 2 in game demo on ur tv, then u can c what its going to be like on a tv and not a high res, small computer screen, red vs blue on my tv would be awsome, then all my friends and i can whatch it without being all huddeled around a small computer screen, once agian, its all for pure geeky fun

Meekerman
07-02-2003, 04:59 PM
I must say that is the best explaination that I have heard yet lotec... thanks

Kraft
07-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Batman2372
I'm a Linux fan AND an Xbox fan. I'm all for making Linux work on it. I don't want to pirate the games. What I WOULD like to see is a DVD-Bootable Linux Entertainment Management system. I would love to be able to access my mp3 collection and play it over the Xbox (which is connected to my home theater). The same would be true of my home movies that I have saved in avi format. My current DVD player cannot play burned VCDs, so right now I'm a little SOL, so this idea is a great.

What I don't want is loading it onto the harddrive so that Xbox functionality is compromised. In essence, what I want is a loadable OS (which is easily done on PCs right now, I can make a floppy disc bootable Linux OS).

Batman! Long time no see buddy! I see your still using a sig of doom :)

Diddy
07-05-2003, 08:06 PM
ya know what? its all for pure geeky fun, i just think it would be cool, like whatching the halo 2 in game demo on ur tv, then u can c what its going to be like on a tv and not a high res, small computer screen, red vs blue on my tv would be awsome, then all my friends and i can whatch it without being all huddeled around a small computer screen, once agian, its all for pure geeky fun

the quality wouldnt be any different between your TV or PC Monitor. It all depends on how good the camera taping it is. IT wouldnt look any different if u played it on your TV.

Chaotic
07-05-2003, 08:13 PM

xbox isn't powerful enough to be a cluster server :o

lotec16
07-05-2003, 08:48 PM
is the the quality it was the fact that 5 guys around one monitor isn't as good as 5 guys around 1 large tv, and there are people who have used xbox to make a cluster server group thiny

bretman1234
07-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Diddy

the quality wouldnt be any different between your TV or PC Monitor. It all depends on how good the camera taping it is. IT wouldnt look any different if u played it on your TV.

actually they already released the high quality halo 2 in game demo and it wasn't being taped by a camera. But i guess you are kind of right about the earlier version

Snoopy7548
07-05-2003, 09:19 PM
i just read today, that there is a new way to do it. instead of the free-x way (thats the original way, the team that created it), theres a way to do it so when you put in an audio cd, you just have to press some buttons and linux loads. so you wont JUST have linux on your xbox (the free-x way makes it so you can only have linux, like you cant even go to your dashboard, i think). but the new way lets you do it whenever you want. so its like a boot cd almost...

and they've gotten evox to run on it...so yeah...theres like no need for modchips anymore...hah

Chaotic
07-05-2003, 09:45 PM
is the the quality it was the fact that 5 guys around one monitor isn't as good as 5 guys around 1 large tv, and there are people who have used xbox to make a cluster server group thiny

Obliviously you don't know much about cluster servers. i'm sure people have done it which u can basically do with any computer you wanted to that had the correct hardware and software support. The point i was making was the xbox isn't powerful enough to run an enterprise type cluster server. Why would someone just f'in around wanna use their xbox as a cluster server :huh: that's just a waste of an xbox :o

lotec16
07-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage

Obliviously you don't know much about cluster servers. i'm sure people have done it which u can basically do with any computer you wanted to that had the correct hardware and software support. The point i was making was the xbox isn't powerful enough to run an enterprise type cluster server. Why would someone just f'in around wanna use their xbox as a cluster server :huh: that's just a waste of an xbox :o

your right its not anywhere near enterprise servers, i am sure if u got enough your could, like a couple hundred/thousand, but the people who made clusters got i think 12gflop, but mostly just used for webpages and renderfarms i think, not anything enterprise

lotec16
07-05-2003, 11:30 PM
o yeah there are people who made a cluster with 70 ps2's, now imagine changing that to xboxs, it would be so much more powerful, but if you did get enough xboxs it would be very powerful but still not enterprise/cray stuff

FaTBoi702
07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
If you guys want to learn about XBox-Linux PM me. As for why anybody would want to do this, lets see. You go out and buy an XBox. $180.00 You buy a hard drive (depending on size 30gb-130gb) $70-$150 Alright, now you put linux on there, swap hard drives. Look now, a new PC costing you $250-$330. There is a way to make USB adapters for a mouse and keyboard for the Internet. Some Linux kits come w/ a bundle of software. :cheers:

TheStall
07-07-2003, 08:37 AM
When is comes down to it, loading LINUX on XBOX is totally ridiculous, and anyone who does it is just a tool. Microsoft released the game system to be a game system. If you want a $350 computer, buy an Emachine bundle for the processor and then scrap the video card, add some RAM and BLAMMO you have a PC far better than an XBOX. People who insist on doing this Linux thing are all like "But I want to run DIVX, but I want to run a server, but I want to play PC games, WAAAAAAH." Here's a thought, get a video card with video out and then go nuts. No need to break the law to do that one.

Diddy
07-07-2003, 03:40 PM
very good point.