PDA

View Full Version : What makes Halo such a great game?

Marthafocker218
06-29-2003, 06:49 PM
I got an X Box back in feburary s that i could play morrowind on a console system. Why is Halo said to be such a great game? I've never actually played it, but i've heard so many great things. Is their anyone that dosent like the game? i mean, this has gotta be the first time ive seen a game that has a 100% approval rating.

I guess my question is as follows: What makes Halo such a great game? or, if you don't like it (Yea right), What makes it a bad game?

I am consideringg purchasing, but i am not sure. Does it live up to its hype :confused:

frog11983
06-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Do you even need to ask? WHEN you buy it, you will understand...

Xbox Owner
06-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Maximus is going to shoot you for making this thread.:D

Shadow20002
06-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Ok. Here coming. If you like FPS then don't ask anything else, get it now. With vehicles, extreme good AI ennemy, graphics are top and story-driven mission...burn this title on Xbox !!! ;)

LynxFX
06-29-2003, 11:50 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that it is wildly addictive, a very solid title that utilizes the xbox moreso than most games released and this is coming from a launch title. The A.I., the graphics, the story, the vehicles all make this an incredible title.

However, I will say that it isn't the best FPS game. It is very repetitive and fairly short when you remove the parts that get repeated, which is probably its biggest flaw. Other than that, a must have for Xbox owners.

BunnyRabbit
06-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Im not gonna say its the best EVER, I will say its the best FPS IVE played. Split screen and Co-op make me continue to play it. Although I havent played it in a while, but then again thats because theres no one to go multiplayer with.

mattgame
06-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Honestly, I don't know. It's addictive, fast-paced, FPS fun!!! I know it's not the best ever, because some levels during the single player mode will have you running in circles for awhile but the multiplayer is the most exciting game I have ever played!! It's a must buy!!! :cool:

Viper87227
06-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Halo is the best FPS on xbox....it is not the best FPS there is tho. In my opinion Half-Life takes that crown. It completly revamped the FPS genre forever. Even with being old and having poor grafix, it owns Halo, and late 2003 when Half-Life 2 shows up on the box, Halo will officially have lost its crown. Muahahhahahaah :watchout:

DocHoliday78
06-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Once you play the game you wont be able to put it down. Its as good as goldeneye for 64.

Marthafocker218
06-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Ok, i guess i could go buy it, or at least rent it first. I do like fps games to some degree, but i would prefer something more along the lines of a RPG such a morrowind or lufia 2: rise of the sinistrals (old school nintendo game i realize, but its a good example of a classic RPG. I also enjoy a good simulation game like RCT or the sims. I'm usually not very good at them, but hey, thats why they have difficulty settings. I have, although, played half life, mainly for the reson that it is a massive multiplayer game. If it wasn't, that game would kinda suck. can Halo be played on xbox live? i was thinking of setting that up, does it cost anything?

Xbox Owner
06-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Marthafocker218
Ok, i guess i could go buy it, or at least rent it first. I do like fps games to some degree, but i would prefer something more along the lines of a RPG such a morrowind or lufia 2: rise of the sinistrals (old school nintendo game i realize, but its a good example of a classic RPG. I also enjoy a good simulation game like RCT or the sims. I'm usually not very good at them, but hey, thats why they have difficulty settings. I have, although, played half life, mainly for the reson that it is a massive multiplayer game. If it wasn't, that game would kinda suck. can Halo be played on xbox live? i was thinking of setting that up, does it cost anything?

Well, first of all, before I bought Halo, I was "ehh..a shooter? Let's play a NFL 2k or something..". Like, I liked shooters..but not that much. After I played Halo, FPS are my favorite genre.:D

Anyway, no, you can't play halo on Xbox Live, but you can play it on Xbox Connect (http://www.xbconnect.com) if you'd like. But I'd reccommend Xbox live more. If you like RPG's..maybe PSO would be fun for you..you can play it online. However, PSO costs like..what, 9.99 a month after first three months? (First 3 are free..) Xbox Live itself needs a broadband connection, and an eternet cord, and you're set! It costs $50 dollars (may be 70 soon.) I'm not going to say it comes with a free year without pay, because you do pay $50 to buy it. It's $50 a year for pricing, but your first year is already covered. I'm sure you know about the demos and such.

Anyway, Xbox Live or not...GET HALO!!!

# 1 Stunner
06-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
I think it has to do with the fact that it is wildly addictive, a very solid title that utilizes the xbox moreso than most games released and this is coming from a launch title. The A.I., the graphics, the story, the vehicles all make this an incredible title.

However, I will say that it isn't the best FPS game. It is very repetitive and fairly short when you remove the parts that get repeated, which is probably its biggest flaw. Other than that, a must have for Xbox owners. what do u think the best fps ever would be?

Marthafocker218
07-01-2003, 12:35 AM
I see the concensus in this thread would be to go buy hsalo, and i will go do that, once i get the money for it. It shouldn't cost more than like 20 $ now, right? or is it still 50 because it sold so well?

Xbox Owner
07-01-2003, 01:23 AM
I see the concensus in this thread would be to go buy hsalo, and i will go do that, once i get the money for it. It shouldn't cost more than like 20 $ now, right? or is it still 50 because it sold so well?

It's 30 at Target, well, atleast it was.

BTW, the reason it's still high priced is because it still sells 30,000+ copies each month. lol.

MetalDragon
07-01-2003, 02:22 AM
Almost everything is great, the single player is fun, the multiplayer is better on the same xbox, but awesome when you get a lot of people playing.

l Maximus l
07-04-2003, 01:37 AM
Why this thread was made is beyond me.

Let's just get to the point now: Halo is the best damn game created...period.

I've had this game one week before the XBox launch (because the XBox launch was delayed one week). And, I've played Halo nearly every day or every other day since November of 2001.

As mentioned before, you can play it on XBConnect at www.XBConnect.com. Just download the free software...it's a host server program that manipulates your XBox into thinking it's a System Link game but it does it over the internet. It's great for multi-player matches if you're itching to play Halo...

Counter Strike, as mentioned before, is definately fun...but, I strongly disagree that it "owns" Halo. I think Halo owns CS by far....really far. Don't get me wrong, I'll pick up CS when it comes to XBox...but, Halo is the best FPS ever. Will it be beaten? Yes, but, only by Halo 2 :D

Will Half Life 2 be as good? I would say yes, but, in a different way. No matter how good Half Life 2 is looking currently, I still don't think it will match the experience I have had with the first Halo.

Now, you mentioned you're mainly into RPGs...if that's the case, then, you'll probably strongly appreciate Halo, but, won't be among your favorite. This is a full fledged, well put together FPS.

Snoop E
07-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Buy it i think its the best fps ive seen for a console or for this console.:D

smack_roscoe
07-04-2003, 06:59 PM
HALO is...

~ My favorite game of ALL time
~ IMO it's the best FPS (at the moment)
~ Single player kills
~ Awesome story line
~ Insidiously addictive

When I first started playing it I would play it for hours on my days off. I sent my Gf to bed by herself many a night when I was playing the Master Chief. My Gf confessed she thought about hiding my copy of HALO from me.

I think every new Xbox should be sold with a copy of HALO with it. You can NOT go wrong with HALO.

kenji
07-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Once you beat the awsome missions, the game is not finished yet. The multiplayer is so sweet, the game will not grow old.

LINKINPARK8591
07-06-2003, 08:58 AM
I got an X Box back in feburary s that i could play morrowind on a console system. Why is Halo said to be such a great game? I've never actually played it, but i've heard so many great things. Is their anyone that dosent like the game? i mean, this has gotta be the first time ive seen a game that has a 100% approval rating.

I guess my question is as follows: What makes Halo such a great game? or, if you don't like it (Yea right), What makes it a bad game?

I am consideringg purchasing, but i am not sure. Does it live up to its hype :confused: that game has lived up to peoples expectations and beyond..........once u buy it everything will be clear:cheers: :watchout:

l Maximus l
07-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Let's just say that the hype never lived up to the game :D

Particleman
07-09-2003, 12:39 PM
you have to buy it to understand its hard to explain

Splinter-Seal
07-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Ahhh, Halo. I am an FPS junky as I have mentioned before. Halo is one of the smoothest FPS games I have ever experienced, actually probably "the" smoothest.

It's not my favorite game in the world, but it is right up there in the top. Honestly, the ONLY problem I have with Halo is the fact it's a Sci-Fi game. I am more into WWII and Vietnam which is why I enjoy Medal Of Honor better. Is it a better game than Halo? Hell no, really as far as quality goes it doesn't compare. I just "enjoy" it more than Halo.

However, as of late I have been enjoying the Sci-Fi element more and more. So, to keep myself from getting bored I buy them.

Ford Mustang
07-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Also...Halo remains the best System Link FPS game because all the other developers that made games like MA and RTCW were too damn stupid to put up to 4 people on every Xbox....I have no idea in hell why they did this, and it was an extremely bad move in my opinion, but oh well.

Halo is the best party game for Sys Link