PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars:Obi-Wan Much Maligned But Actually Great

selowitch
06-30-2003, 01:48 AM
The critics didn’t have much nice to say about this game, but frankly I love it. The control scheme is fantastic, the voice acting better than average, and the gameplay is just plain fun. I love how when one Jedi defeats another (at least during the single-player training mini-games) he gets back up and compliments his vanquisher—truly Jedi-esque.

I especially enjoy the massive Jedi-on-Jedi brawl that ensues at the end (though how they explain it plotwise I have no —I mean, who needs Darth Vader to hunt down the Jedi if they&#8217l going to just kill eachother at that point in the history of the Galaxy?

I’d really like to see LucasArts take the feel and playability of Obi-Wan to another level. It would be amazing to have a really rich, 3-D lighsaber combat system that incorporates a full range of thrusts, cuts, parries, and other flourishes of swordplay, with Force powers, too, of course. I’d like to replay the great battles of the movies, like Vader vs. Kenobi, Dooku vs. Yoda, Luke vs. Vader, and so on. Or maybe try something else just for fun, like Qui-Gon Jinn taking on Obi-Wan in a non-lethal bout, perhaps with lightsabers on stun. Or maybe we could find out how long a Jedi could last against Darth Sidious! The possibilities are endless.

MerimacHamwich
06-30-2003, 02:09 AM
I too enjoyed this game. While the visuals aren't impressive in the least, I still enjoyed playing the game.
:cheers:

JJaX
06-30-2003, 02:59 AM
Wait for Starwars Jedi academy.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35201&highlight=jedi+academy

selowitch
06-30-2003, 02:49 PM
I certainly am looking forward to SW: Jedi Academy. Wouldn’t it be great if they could blend the superior visuals of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast with the vastly better control scheme, playability, and fun of Obi-Wan? That would surely be a winning combination!

If you’re like me, you got a real kick out of the Jedi free-for-all at the end. I’ve no idea what plot event could possibly have precipitated most of the known Jedi wailing on eachother in one big room (maybe each one suspects the other of being the Jedi who altered the archives, who knows?).

Anyway, this Jedi burly-brawl is a lot more fun than the sadly anticlimactic duel with Darth Maul. I was disappointed that they skipped the amazing part of Episode I where Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi try to take on Darth Maul two-on-one. That would have been so cool to be seen represented in a videogame!

JJaX
06-30-2003, 02:58 PM
I enjoy the gameplay and light saber fighting of JKII more than obi-won.

I play JKII on the PC though.

selowitch
06-30-2003, 04:39 PM
JJax,

I can see why you would like Jedi Knight II’s combat and controls better, since there's a wider range of Force skills and many more weapons to employ. But what it lacks, IMHO, is the responsiveness and intuitiveness that makes Obi-Wan so fun (at least from my point of view).

I also found that the swordplay in Obi-Wan has a very nice, albeit limited, serious of animations that work nicely with the controller-vibration feature.

My biggest point of comparison between the two has a lot to do with Kyle Katarn and Obi-Wan Kenobi as characters. I really have a hard time imagining myself as Kyle, with his cynical, almost anti-Jedi persona. Then again, it’s not like Obi-Wan doesn’t have his Dark Side moments: “Don’t make me destroy you!” is intended to recall, rather eerily, Darth Vader’s plea to Luke in Episode V.

I guess what I really hunger for is greater immersion into Jedi characters. Perhaps Knights of the Old Republic, due out mid-July, will satisfy that hunger.

BTW, I’m sad that they apparently cancelled Galaxies for Xbox (*Artoo-Detoo sigh*). Note: It later turned out that this was not necessarily the case; see below.

TheStall
07-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Where did you see that they cancelled Galaxies for XBOX? That would seriously suck, if true.

selowitch
07-01-2003, 09:33 AM
I should amend my remarks to say that Galaxies has experienced an indefinite delay. LucasArts no longer lists it as an upcoming game on their website, a bad-but-not-fatal sign.

JJaX
07-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Thats correct

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwarsgalaxies/news_6028822.html

At E3 2002, LucasArts announced that it planned to release Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, its highly anticipated online RPG set in the Star Wars universe, for the Xbox and PlayStation 2. However, mention of these versions was recently removed from the publisher's Web page on the game, and LucasArts has confirmed for us that these versions are currently on hold. In a brief statement, LucasArts said, "We are currently focusing all of our efforts on the successful launch of the PC version of Star Wars Galaxies."

Duke
07-01-2003, 09:54 AM
As far as Galaxies goes, I know there was a post about them having a lot of trouble w/ the launch. I hope it's still coming out for xbox, but it looks like they're trying to figure out what they did wrong w/ the pc version first.

TheStall
07-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Allright, well maybe it will make a comeback once they work out all the problems they are having with the PC version. Thanks for the info.

E Nomini Patri
07-01-2003, 03:31 PM
All I want is a Boba Fett game on Xbox...sigh...