PDA

View Full Version : a few questions before I make my decision...

scottmackey
12-11-2001, 08:44 PM
Sup fellas, my Playstation's dead and I'm now trying to decide on either an XBox or a PS2. I really only play EA Sports games and Gran Turismo if that makes any difference.

Anyhow, here's what I've figured so far:

XBox
+ newer/better technology
+ harddrive
+ lots of MS $$$ to back it
- big machine
- not many games
- I've heard things about them 'crashing'

Playstation 2
+ butt-loads of games
+ comfortable/familiar controllers
+ proven system with little (if any) flaws
- a year old
- memory cards

So I'm really not sure which one to get .. I'm leaning towards the XBox just because it's newer, but here are a couple questions I have:

Do you need to use memory cards for XBox?

Are the graphics/speed really better than the PS2? And I mean noticeably better?

Where can I find a list of games currently available and/or a list of games to be released for XBox?

thanks in advance for any help!

Hugh_Jass
12-11-2001, 09:04 PM
1) You can use memory cards if you wish to transport games from one XBOX to another. However, for day-to-day play on a single XBOX the eight gigabyte hard drive stores all the game saves you're ever likely to generate. The hard drive serves to reduce loading times as well. I don't own a memory card and I doubt I ever will.

2) The graphics for ports of PS2 games may not be better than native PS2 games. The increased horsepower of the XBOX generally gives games better framerates, however. Games designed for XBOX blow PS2 graphics away. There is simply no comparison. PS2 is jaggarific.

3) There are currently 267 games in the XBOXAddict database. Most of them have not been released yet but it will give you a good idea what is available and what is coming.
http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/games_find.php

Crazy Joe
12-12-2001, 12:37 AM
Xbox has noticeably better graphics, quicker load times, and for launch time, a decent amount of games, i've got a list of over 300 games already released or slated for release in 2002, early 2003(see attachment). The only advantage i see in a PS2 is that Final Fantasy will be released exclusively for PS2 and FF is the best line of games ever. Other than that and Grand Turismo, any game on PS@ will most likely be on Xbox as well. Add to that the ethernet port, hard drive and headset coming out soon the choice is simple. I say XBOX!

Crazy Joe
12-12-2001, 12:40 AM
Oh and i forgot to mention, a couple of friends of mine have broken PS2s, not sure what happened. I haven't had any problems with my XBOX crashing and i ifind the XBOX controllers more form-fitting to my hand than playstation

Good luck making a choice

Snoopy7548
12-12-2001, 02:04 PM
get ps2 if youre into sports games, the ps2 is the best system for sports games, but the xbox is best for all other games, so if you just play sports games, get ps2

l Maximus l
12-12-2001, 02:18 PM
XBox benefits:

1. 8 Gig hard-drive - for game storage, faster loading times, and you can rip your own personal CD collection and listen to your own music while playing selective games rather than listening to the default music on the games.

2. System link - you can play in a LAN

3. On-line broadband already built in - standard.

4. Four controller ports - standard

5. Amazing exclusive titles like Halo (probably going to win game of the year), PGR, Amped, NFL Fever, Azurik, Oddworld, DOA3, etc...

6. XBox will have practically every game the PS2 has or will have but they will add more levels and smooth out the graphics and increase polygon count. I realize many people say that graphics aren't important, I disagree...they are important.

7. 733 Meg processor - most powerful in it's class

8. XBox has released one game for every day it has been on the market up until the end of December...meaning, by the end of this month, XBox will have exactly 46 games that I know of. That's 46 games in 46 days...not bad after a month and a half. There are over 300 games schedules to come out that I am aware of and they have over 220 3rd party game developers making games for it, again, that I am aware of. That includes the greatness of Sega.

9. Also, expect the most impressive exclusive titles that will use every ounce of the XBox's power...they will not be able to be played on any other systems.

10. Parental controls: This is great because this does not give limitations on what game developers can do in making future games whereas PS2 and the GameCube will be limited because Developers have to stay within a certain guideline because parents may have issues with some games...not a problem for the XBox.

11. Microsoft is an American company :D
http://www.asbdc-us.org/interior/flag.gif

Ninja Scroll
12-12-2001, 02:33 PM
Yo dude!!!!
your in an Xbox forum, what da hell do you think we are going to recommend you buy?!:rolleyes:

P.S. Waximus basically said all that needs to be known^^^