PDA

View Full Version : Fable: recent preview !

Shadow20002
07-06-2003, 01:51 PM
It's always been a gamer's dream to have almost full and total control over a character's appearance, life style, and so forth. It is also a gamer's dream to affect the environment, and how the character reacts with the computer players in the game. Dream no further folks. Fable is coming, and it will change the way RPGs are today and will affect the future of RPGs to come.

Two words may be used to describe Fable so far, and those words are "Holy crap". Exclusively on the Xbox, Fable plans on bringing some of the most hardcore role-playing any gamer has never experienced before. Like most role-playing games, the story is basically what is most focused on, but in Fable, pretty much everything is required.

The story for Fable actually starts out quite simple. The world of Fable is called Albion, and is composed of several mountains, caves, and cities that the character will venture through. It all starts out one day when the young main character (at the age of fifteen) is sent out to get some things for his mother and father. Later that day, he comes back to find both his parents missing and his dog dead. So what does he do? He sets on a journey to find his parents and avenge his dog's death! Later, the story of course evolves into an even bigger crisis and so forth, but little has been released on that.

Pretty much everything done in the game affects the surroundings of the player. For instance, if the player (you) decides to destroy a tree or kill the player's next-door neighbor's sister, it will most likely not be there in a few years (years going by in the game), and the neighbor will not be that pleased with the character next time they meet. Even the character's skin and body structure will change over time depending on what the player does with his or her character. For example, if the player decides to keep his or her character in the dark most of the time, the character will turn out pale and week over time, but if the character is out in the sun most of the time doing some hard work, he'll turn out nice looking with a dark tan. Also, if the character gets a cut in battle, it may turn into a battle scar. Players can also have their character's get a haircut, buy them new clothes, and so on. Cool thing is that if the player's character is quite popular in town, some of the kids will dress and act-like the character.

There is an aging system in Fable and it is totally unique. Though, Big Blue Box (the developer) made it to where the only sex is male, and the character doesn't grow old and die! It is kind of like real-life but in a balanced way. If the character experiences a lot of mental stress, he will become weak and obtain baggy eyes, while if the character is feeling well, he'll live and act well. Also, there really is no point in growing old by thy self! In Fable, the character can go off and marry a woman and settle down in a nice house and produce some children to have in the house. However, the player just can't sit back and relax forever because he'll have other heroes and in game players competing with him which will lower his rank.

The battle system really hasn't been revealed a whole lot, but there's enough to get a good taste of what gamer's will have in store. Fable will include numerous amounts of weapons and of course like most role-playing games, magic will be added. However, enemies are not very simple when it comes to fighting them. The enemies actually learn from their mistakes and pack a harder punch next time the player fights them. It has also been said that enemies can actually hide and then attack one-by-one or team up on the character. It can get pretty in detail, like how it depends on how strong the character is when it comes to pulling out weapons. If the character is a weakling, he'll grunt like a wimp, while if the character is strong, he'll whip it out and do some cool moves. Some players like the whole fantasy magic style, but beware, the more magic used means the older the character will look and the more wrinkles he'll have!

Big Blue Box and Microsoft both plan on releasing the game sometime later this year in Q4 or early next year in Q1. Fable is expected to have at least twenty hours of gameplay if the player doesn't do any of the side quests and just sticks to the story. If the player choices to actually live a life and do other things, it is expected to be close to hundreds. Stay tuned with AllRPG for more coverage and media on Fable.

Source: AllRPG Dot Com

Variation-XBA
07-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Fable will own all... period :)
Just needs to come out ;)

thrAsher
07-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Nothing really new here. Just a tease. I hope M$ doesn't rush BBB to get this out. I mean, I'd love to have it in my hands right now, but realistically, they need to be given enough time to finish it. I'm guessing that we won't see this until next spring, the year of the Xbox! Halo 2, Fable, and BC alone are going to be a 1-2-3 knockout combo. Happy happy, joy joy!

:p

Nameless00
07-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Good post there Shadow :cheers:.

JJaX
07-06-2003, 02:49 PM
You know what i just thought would be cool?

I read about how you come home and your dog is dead. It would be cool if you could get a pet as a companion. Like a wolf or a tiger. And he reflects the good/bad side of you as well.

He could do cruel things like pi55 and poop on dead people. And eat little children. And i know it could be done, look at Black & white for example. I tought my tiger how to eat little children and poop on live stock.

Yah, that would be cool.

:cool:

DocHoliday78
07-06-2003, 03:57 PM
This all old news.

Variation-XBA
07-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
He could do cruel things like pi55 and poop on dead people. And eat little children.

Greatest ... game...idea....EVER!! :D lol...