PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind Bores Me and I Want to Know Why

selowitch
07-06-2003, 06:19 PM
I recently bought the Platinum Hits Edition of Morrowind, fully aware that the Game of the Year edition is on its way.

Although I consistently hear raves about the game, I just can't seem to get excited about it. I haven't invested much time, it's true; nevertheless, I seem to be growing impatient. Any advice for a newbie Morrowinder?

Perhaps I'm just getting too old or I play so many Star Wars and NBA-themed titles that I lack the proper frame of mind....

thrAsher
07-06-2003, 06:29 PM
It takes a while for you to really get into the game. When I first bought Morrowind, I played for about 3 hours and absolutely hated it. I'd walk ten feet and have to rest, and fighting was a real *****. I kept dieing. I put the game away and didn't touch it for at least a week.

But then I slapped it back in one weekend and put about 15 hours into the game. I saved often, and I used the Stilt Riders instead of walking everywhere. I began to take quests from everybody I could, and slowly, slowly, the game began to really perform for me. Needless to say, I put over a hundred hours into the game within a month, and loved every minute of it. There is so much to do in the game that it's mindboggling.

So, my advice is to have patience, save often, and start taking quests from the guilds in Balmora. And also, check Bethesda's forums for info on how to avoid the infamous Dirty Disc Error problem w/ the Xbox. It really doesn't start happening until way later in the game, but there are ways to avoid it (has to do w/ the # of blocks in your save game).

:cheers:

selowitch
07-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks, friend, for the detailed and helpful reply. I will give it a go!

VenoM
07-06-2003, 06:37 PM
nah,its not you....it is extremely boring...at first i thought...this is cool,i can go anywhere and do anything i want and slice and stab peeps,be a good guy or bad but then when i actually attacked something it took like 20 swings to kill a damn animal....i just think the fighting sucks big time...yea i know its a skill thing but seriously is it really that hard to kill an animal in real life...i can kill a rat in 1 swing in person :rolleyes: this game was pure hype and i bought into it :eek: i went ahead and sold it for 40 bucks a few months before it turned to a greatest hit though :D ...should be called a greatest hype title..only thing great about the game is the water...its amazing

Cryogenic Pyro
07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
nah,its not you....it is extremely boring...at first i thought...this is cool,i can go anywhere and do anything i want and slice and stab peeps,be a good guy or bad but then when i actually attacked something it took like 20 swings to kill a damn animal....i just think the fighting sucks big time...yea i know its a skill thing but seriously is it really that hard to kill an animal in real life...i can kill a rat in 1 swing in person :rolleyes: this game was pure hype and i bought into it :eek: i went ahead and sold it for 40 bucks a few months before it turned to a greatest hit though :D ...should be called a greatest hype title..only thing great about the game is the water...its amazing
That's exactly what I was going to say(or close anyways). I played it for a couple hours and thought WOW, this is awesome! Then, I gradually got bored of taking the Stilt Strider around doing quests, and barely getting stronger. The first time I got a level, I was like "HOLY ****! You can get level ups in this game?" after about 10 hours of playing, that happened. A while after that I just played the game because I had nothing better to do. I felt sad that I wasted over 30 hours trying to do something with my custom built axe orc, but I felt better after I pretty much gave the game away for about $10. I didn't even buy this game because of the hype(I didn't really know much about the Xbox, or about this site when I bought Morrowind, wasn't into the scene), I bought it because it looked like a solid game, boy was I wrong. As VenoM said, it's not you, it's the game.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, RPGs are my absolute favourite types of games too.

thrAsher
07-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by selowitch
Thanks, friend, for the detailed and helpful reply. I will give it a go!

No problem, man. And don't listen to the haters. :p
If you like RPG's, then this one has a lot to offer. While the graphics aren't anything special and the combat is pretty blaise, the sheer amount of RPG goodness is breathtaking. And the world is GIGANTIC w/ lots of caves and tombs and such to explore and raid.

I played through as a Khajit Thief and had a blast. By the end of the game, I was a powerful magician and alchemist, as well as a badass fighter/assassin.

MerimacHamwich
07-06-2003, 07:49 PM
That is exactly it. Most poeple are so turned off by being a beginner adventurer that they leave the game behind. Seriously, once you gani some level's things really start to pick up. Also, instead of being the generic sword fighting character everyone chooses take the path less traveled. Be a mage or thief, explore the detialed careers you can have. Heck, you can even conjure oup your own spells and potions.

Once you get past the surface the game is amazing, just like Enter The Matrix.

Shadow20002
07-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Yeah, the true is that Morrowind is a masterpiece about the freedom in a game. First, it's bored because you have not enough skills to do what you want but when you get more than normal (around level 50), in that situation, you can kill anything you want. I don't know when you talk about a rat that take you to swing more than 20 times to kill it, maybe you use the wrong weapon with the wrong skill. Anyway, their rats are not normal rats like at your home, look the size in the game. I swing like 4 times and bring it to hell. :p

Xeon
07-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Maybe your bored because its...........boring?? :D

I enjoyed the game, until it froze every 5 minutes, crashed, loaded for 10 minutes, and you kill everything in 1 hit.

selowitch
07-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Once you get past the surface [Morrowind] is amazing, just like Enter The Matrix.

Really? I must confess that I have been agonizing over that one. I'm a big fan of the original film, was rather disgusted with the second, and had read all kinds of bad reviews of the game. This month, I've been concentrating on saving my spare cash for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic while wearing out my demo of NBA Street Vol. 2. Is Enter the Matrix really that much better than what is being said and written about it?

Oh, an aside or two about The Matrix Reloaded, if I may:

1. I was furious when they tried to imply that the Oracle was a sentient computer program (like the Agents) because I felt that the mysticism and spirituality she projected only worked if you thought of her as a human being, in a pod somewhere, somehow able to know the future and to avoid detection by the Machines. Her humanity was the source of her peculiar but very real warmth. Her scene in the original Matrix is one of the best in the film, in my opinion.

2. I couldn't help but be reminded, during Neo's encounter with The Architect, of sitting through a particularly boring and abstruse lecture, and being asked by the professor at the end:

"Did you understand all that?"
"Yeah. Sure.... Absolutely." you stammer.
"Do you have any questions?"
"Uh ... yeah," you manage. "Listen. And please don't take this the wrong way, but: Is any of this going to be on the final?"

y2kash_14
07-06-2003, 11:10 PM

Really? I must confess that I have been agonizing over that one. I'm a big fan of the original film, was rather disgusted with the second, and had read all kinds of bad reviews of the game. This month, I've been concentrating on saving my spare cash for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic while wearing out my demo of NBA Street Vol. 2. Is Enter the Matrix really that much better than what is being said and written about it?

Enter The Matrix is a great game...but it isn't as deep or extraordinary as Mermiac always tries to make it seem.

kenji
07-07-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro

The first time I got a level, I was like "HOLY ****! You can get level ups in this game?" after about 10 hours of playing, that happened. :rofl: It is funny because it is true.

I love RPG like Cryo, but this game did not grab me what so every. Walking was like crawling and fighting was like having both arms in a cast. It took about 20 swings of hitting nothing to hit a rat, and then about 5 bites from the rat to kill me. The graphics and freedom of the game did impress me, but other that that, i did not like this game.

Arven
07-07-2003, 09:22 AM
I have the feeling that a lot of people who bought the game really weren't aware of what kind of game Morrowind really is: slow-building, open, complex, and geared towards immersion and exploration rather than action and fighting.

Personally, Morrowind sucked me in the first night. Sure, it was frustrating to get killed by a rat, and time-consuming to wait for those first level-ups, but... I don't know how to explain it... it just drew me into the world, and the more I played, the more I wanted to play. Maybe I was just in the mood for an open-ended, exploratory RPG.

You mentioned that perhaps it's your frame of mind. I think that may be the case. If you approach Morrowind looking for the same kind of fun and excitement you get from more fast-paced, action-oriented games, you're going to be disappointed and frustrated. It's not that kind of game. Try to put yourself in the frame of mind you'd use if you were sitting down to read a novel (or at least a short story). A patient, curious state of mind. Not looking for thrills, but interested in exploring a world and learning. (gee, I sound like an afterschool special)

Anyhow, I liked the slow-developing pace, it felt very natural to me, and it gave me time to understand the game. Hope you get into it eventually.

CarGuy
07-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Yea, try to think of Morrowind almost as an interactive story. I think what really kept me playing all those hours is the exploration aspect of the game. I played it for hundreds of hours and still kept finding new stuff.

selowitch
07-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the insightful comments. I think I'll take another stab at Morrowind with the idea of lingering over it like a glass of fine wine.

NINE BREAKER
07-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Morrowind is awesome. One of the truest RPG's I've ever played. Yeah, it's slow but that's is exactly what a rpg is supposed to be, a test of skill and to gain those skills you have to work at it. You can't just pick up a sword and know how to really use it, can you? But this game is worth more than almost any other game out, simply because of how long it takes to do everything. That's the great thing about Morrowind, you can play for hundreds of hours and not see every thing that the world has to offer. Like a while back I was out on a quest, just south of Balmora, And this dude just fell out of the sky, screeming like a little biatch. I about died laughing. Picked up his stuff, cause he was dead, and got this scroll of Icarnian(?) flight that increases your agillity by 1000. Basically, keep at it, it's really fun, and if your into reading, read all the books you find in the game. It's an easy way to gain certain skills, and tells you ALOT about the game.

y2kash_14
07-08-2003, 12:47 AM
I find it idiotic that a full swing from a blade at point blank range doesn't kill a rat, even if you're at a low level, thats just ridiculous

SPARTAN VI
07-08-2003, 03:31 AM
I finished Morrowind with a level 40 something Battlemage. I had the save on my old Xbox waiting to transfer it over to the new one once I get the gold edition... but no. My stupid sister wiped the harddrive clean because she 'thought it would fix the xbox'. My ass... so 40 hours of my life down the drain... lets loose another 50. :)

Viper87227
07-08-2003, 08:00 AM

Oh, an aside or two about The Matrix Reloaded, if I may:

1. I was furious when they tried to imply that the Oracle was a sentient computer program (like the Agents) because I felt that the mysticism and spirituality she projected only worked if you thought of her as a human being, in a pod somewhere, somehow able to know the future and to avoid detection by the Machines. Her humanity was the source of her peculiar but very real warmth. Her scene in the original Matrix is one of the best in the film, in my opinion.

2. I couldn't help but be reminded, during Neo's encounter with The Architect, of sitting through a particularly boring and abstruse lecture, and being asked by the professor at the end:

"Did you understand all that?"
"Yeah. Sure.... Absolutely." you stammer.
"Do you have any questions?"
"Uh ... yeah," you manage. "Listen. And please don't take this the wrong way, but: Is any of this going to be on the final?"

for one thing....ye ETM is a great game. I dont unstand where all the bad reviews are coming....i think its absolutly fantastic

also.....when your going to posts stuff about movies or games that reviel parts of the story....pease put a *spolier* before it so poele who havnt seen the movie or played the game know not to read it.

Arven
07-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by NINE BREAKER
Like a while back I was out on a quest, just south of Balmora, And this dude just fell out of the sky, screeming like a little biatch. I about died laughing. Picked up his stuff, cause he was dead, and got this scroll of Icarnian(?) flight that increases your agillity by 1000.

Why not try out that scroll and see what it does? ;)

RudedogX
07-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Well, whatever happens, yeah, I remember when this first came out and half of the people complained about the learning curve and how it took a long time just to get into the game. Once you do though, the game becomes sort of addicting (sort of might be an understatement), either way, as has been said (and as it seems you are doing), don't throw it away just yet, give it a little more time.