PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Dashboard Vulnerability Revealed

Shadow20002
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
The XBOX Dashboard is what appears when you turn the XBOX on without a disc in the DVD drive. It will let you adjust system settings, manage your save games, play and rip audio CDs and configure your XBOX Live account. It is the heart of the XBOX and its most vulnerable point, because it lacks several security restrictions which are enforced on games. This includes the lack of the reboot-on-eject-button "feature", which is obligatory for all games.

The existance of an exploitable vulnerability within the dashboard could totally compromises the XBOX security system. It will make the box independent from Microsoft signed code and therefore this information is released to the public now on the 4th of July 2003, the day of the XBOX Independence.

Link removed.

JJaX
07-07-2003, 06:47 PM
So are you saying i can MOD my xbox with a 007 saved file? But i need that action replay thing huh? Also theres a few things i have to figure out.

This is pretty amazing.

If anyone does this, Please PM me!

I uhhhh, wanted to know how it went....uhh...yeah

JJaX runs away

Steve1987
07-07-2003, 06:50 PM
I might just get a crappy used Xbox of Ebay for £40 and then mod it to run Linux.
Then i can have a modded xbox for divx movies, and keep my nice original Xbox for games and Live.

Problem is a lot of people will use these new hacks for copied games, which is baaaaad! :eek:

JJaX
07-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Steve1987
I might just get a crappy used Xbox of Ebay for £40 and then mod it to run Linux.
Then i can have a modded xbox for divx movies, and keep my nice original Xbox for games and Live.

Problem is a lot of people will use these new hacks for copied games, which is baaaaad! :eek:

I think your missing the point of this entire thread.....

LynxFX
07-07-2003, 07:38 PM
I realize that we have posted news on the linux mod and have had discussions related to that here. But do not post links to the source on how to do that. That falls right into our anti-mod/piracy stance and does not belong on these forums.

If you want to continue to talk about the fact that this got released and what not, fine. But do not change the topic into doing this yourself or how to do it. The thread will be closed and deleted.

JJaX
07-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
I realize that we have posted news on the linux mod and have had discussions related to that here. But do not post links to the source on how to do that. That falls right into our anti-mod/piracy stance and does not belong on these forums.

If you want to continue to talk about the fact that this got released and what not, fine. But do not change the topic into doing this yourself or how to do it. The thread will be closed and deleted.

Well the damage is done. Now that people know, its quite easy to get going in the right direction.

Snoopy7548
07-07-2003, 07:48 PM
im sure that there will be a boot cd for linux and evox pretty soon. yeah..thats all i can think of to say...haha. im really bored...

JJaX
07-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
im sure that there will be a boot cd for linux and evox pretty soon. yeah..thats all i can think of to say...haha. im really bored...

Yes a distro or even a Knoppix style cd would be wonderful.

:cheers:

Shadow20002
07-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Oh well, i don't know this news has something illegal. Anyway, next time i will pay more attention on what i got. :)

Himji
07-08-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Steve1987

Why not just buy a DVD player to do that job? surely if you're buyng second hand, you'll get a proper DVD player for a similar price??

Steve1987
07-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Because with a DVD player you would need to burn the film to a disc. But i'm sure someone has found a way to copy the film to the Xbox's hard drive through the network.

Plus i could use it for LAN games when people stay over.

Anyway, i doubt i will do it. It still takes quite a lot of work to get it working.

JJaX
07-08-2003, 06:20 PM
If you really want to watch DIVX on your TV, just use a DC.

Its quite simple, you burn the player and all the movies you want on a disc.

Boot up, and watch.