PDA

View Full Version : xbox hardware versions

fightclub
07-09-2003, 06:33 PM
I've heard of multiple versions of the system (kinda like how microsoft releases everything in multiple versions, but gives them all the same name.)
I bought two xboxen; manufacture dates:
5/18/02 & 8/30/02

Does anyone know the differences/release versions/etc.?

TIA,
Len

Xbox Owner
07-09-2003, 07:19 PM
:huh:
The only difference I know of is the first wave of Xbox's had a worse DVD drive.

Shadow20002
07-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I don't know but maybe this is the main source about DDE ? Can anyone tell me that some new versions doesn't get that at all or just the same ?

Ford Mustang
07-11-2003, 11:04 AM
I bought my Xbox 1 week after launch and I've never had a DDE error. The newer ones will read CD-Rs while the older ones will only read authentic music CDs and CD-RWs.

Snoopy7548
07-11-2003, 11:57 AM
i got my xbox the day it came out, and the only DDE's ive had were with the oxm discs...

Chaotic
07-11-2003, 12:19 PM
I've also had mine since the first day it came out and have never had a DDE. The newer xbox's use a cheaper motherboard with genric chipsets and also use a better cd drive. Anything to save money. :o

fightclub
07-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ford_Mustang
I bought my Xbox 1 week after launch and I've never had a DDE error. The newer ones will read CD-Rs while the older ones will only read authentic music CDs and CD-RWs.

*exactly* my point. does anyone know what differentiates those (that recognize cd-r) from the others? if you have a unit that does, what is the manufacture date?

peas.

Ford Mustang
07-12-2003, 11:27 AM
I am not completely sure of the date when they started using the different DVD drive and stuff. I do, however, have a friend that got his Xbox this past Christmas and his has the new DVD drive in it. So I'm guessing probably Q3 - Q4 of last year is when they changed. Hope that helped :cheers:

Cyclone
07-12-2003, 02:50 PM
The newer Xbox's have different dvd drivers (Some made by Tomson and Samsung I believe) and they have different motherboards. The older 2 are easier to mod I believe and the 2 newest Xbox's have beefier heatsinks and no longer have a fan on the videochip.