PDA

View Full Version : GMR gives KOTOR a perfect 10/10!

Xbox Owner
07-09-2003, 07:23 PM
"One of this year's most eagerly anticipated titles, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic was recently named the number one game in Electronic Gaming Monthly's Top 20 Summer Games feature. In addition, Official Xbox Magazine called Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic an "instant classic," and the game received a perfect score in the forthcoming September issue of GMR."

Well, this game must be good, because..well, I don't think GMR likes Xbox that much.:D

BTW, I heard this over at gamespot's forums, so it could just be B.S., but here's the link.
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board/message?board.id=systemwars&message.id=1067628

Variation-XBA
07-09-2003, 07:28 PM
I hate gamespot so I dont usually listen to em...but Im sure GMR did...

a 10/10 from any decent mag is impressive though, even though I hate starwars stuff, maybe I'll have to check it out :)

Ninja Scroll
07-09-2003, 07:49 PM
First off OXM is da official Xbox magazine and hypes every Xbox game known to man. Even da sorry joints.
So whatever quotes you get from OXM are meaningless.

Second, who reads gamespot forum boards?:huh:

Third, dat new commercial for dis game ownz!:cheers:

4th, dis looks to be my first Star Wars owned game since (gulp!) Star Wars Arcade on 32X!:o

hopefully it will live up do da hype, .. and will actually finally come out dis month.

Shadow20002
07-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Kew...ok in that way must check it out !! :p

Papke
07-09-2003, 08:02 PM
This is a little off topic.......here's your warning

Ninja, not sure if you remember me, but we had a little chat in the forums once. Anyway.....I thought I might inform you that I was in your hood the other day (Bragg Hill) and some homies got shot up.....I read about it in the news.

:(

I hope you haven't come back for revenge!:D

Peace!

Ninja Scroll
07-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Papke
This is a little off topic.......here's your warning

Ninja, not sure if you remember me, but we had a little chat in the forums once. Anyway.....I thought I might inform you that I was in your hood the other day (Bragg Hill) and some homies got shot up.....I read about it in the news.

:(

I hope you haven't come back for revenge!:D

Peace!
WTF!!:watchout:

When did we chat? Yeah im originally from Bragg Hill (Fredericksburg) VA.
I know da hood is still crazy up there. Dont they still got dem gates up on both sides of da 7-Eleven?

btw, when did we chat yo?

cheetahmanhood
07-09-2003, 08:40 PM
very impressive score for KOTOR, and I just might pick this game up.

prakeem
07-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Third, dat new commercial for dis game ownz!

I've never seen a commercial for a video game in between trailers at the cinema except for KOTOR, now that's impressive. This game has no choice but to be good :D

Arven
07-09-2003, 11:08 PM
That's a very good score, and it's not a biased, pro-Xbox magazine at all -- in fact, a lot of people were upset when they ranked Xbox's showing at E3 as being the worst of the three. And they don't give inflated scores, at least not for Xbox games. If they gave it 10/10, that means that they thought it was really, really excellent.

AlBoogy
07-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Im still a little skeptical. Ill believe it when I see it.

xbox genius
07-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Im still a little skeptical. Ill believe it when I see it.

yea same here. this game sounds VERY interesting, but i dont know..... i am gonna wait until it goes to the discount rack or at least platinum hits :D :D :D

l Maximus l
07-10-2003, 02:12 AM
I'll stand in the corner with Al Boogy and XBox Genius on this one. I have yet to play a Star Wars game that I liked. Seriously, any game with the Lucasarts logo on it usually blows ass. It may be fun for a month or two, but, I'm looking for longevity...

Too bad it's not online, otherwise, I would very likely purchase this blindly. I may rent it due to the recent news that XBox Owner shared. Before this, I wasn't going to give the game a second look.

I know, I know, I know...I don't want to be the dude to urinate on anyone's cornflakes for saying this stuff, but, honestly, what Star Wars game has upped the bar? I mean, I thought Rogue Squadron on the PC was pretty fun, but, I don't see myself playing it at all anymore. I played it for two months and never looked back.

I want another game like Halo...not necessarily the same premise, but, a game that holds my interests for a year or more and just keeps getting better and better. I truly hope KOTOR can do that as I wish every game would, but, I'll still sit in the corner with Al Boogy and XBox Genius with this one...let's cross our fingers, though!!

AlBoogy
07-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I want another game like Halo...not necessarily the same premise, but, a game that holds my interests for a year or more and just keeps getting better and better. I truly hope KOTOR can do that as I wish every game would, but, I'll still sit in the corner with Al Boogy and XBox Genius with this one...let's cross our fingers, though!!

In other words, you want a AAA title. Blasphemy!

RudedogX
07-10-2003, 10:59 AM
I'll be one of the first to say, that before Morrowind, I didn't find a RPG I really liked. As I've read about this game, I haven't been able to decide if it's more like Morrowind, or much more like Final Fantasy. Either way, I think from the commercials that I've seen, and this score, and then the comments from my fellow Addicts when I get back from vacation, I'm going to have to pick this game up!

AlBoogy
07-10-2003, 11:36 AM
This probably deserves its own thread but here it is. An employee from GMR recently posted this (http://boards.gamers.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=GMRMagazine&id=zzlfw) on the message boards at gamers.com enjoy.. Btw, ALL quotes are taken from GMR-Milkman ..

Quote- Best RPG ever? Maybe. All I know is that while I type this message, it's calling me back to my Xbox. Here I come, baby!

Quote- I'll post some impressions later when I've OD'ed on KOTOR (not likely), but is this worth buying an Xbox for? Yes.

Quote- Ok, since I just got back from eating a yummy meal, I am no longer shaking with hunger, and am able to type coherently. Consider that I know my way around a Final Fantasy game or two. IMO, the FF formula has gotten increasingly stale (new hero, new ways of calling summons summons, slightly new battle system, etc.). There's no discounting the high quality of Final Fantasy games, but are they all that much fun? Or just wondrous to experience?

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is wondrous AND fun. KOTOR is, among other things:

1) Huge.

You aren't even a Jedi for the first ten hours or so, because you've been trying to rescue Bastilla, a Jedi warrior who's been captured. By completing all the side quests (you gain experience for talking to people) you become strong by leveling up. Since there's no time limit, it behooves you to embark on all the side quests, and in doing so, adds valuable allies to your party, and enables you to discover key weapons and armor that you wouldn't have found if you hadn't taken those quests.

Plus, once you've gotten through about 20% of the game, you then discover that you must travel to at least four new worlds. HUGE.

2) It's never boring.

Unlike many RPGs where the standard fetch quests make you feel like somebody's messenger boy, all the side quests (even settling a Romeo and Juliet-like war between two families) in KOTOR are enjoyable and worth doing just for the experience, not just the experience points.

3) Battle system rocks.

It's not quite real-time, it's not quite turn-based. It's somewhere inbetween. You choose your own actions, and can "stock" a sequence of actions (such as perform a regular attack, powerful attack, throw grenade, and then heal, in that order), leaving you free to cycle to one of your main character's two available allies to use their particular skills as well. If you choose to let them handle themselves, you can also program their strategies, such as setting Bastilla the Jedi to use Jedi skills (speed up, heal, push-back attack) until her Force points deplete. You can also have droids or warriors use their best abilities (grenadier, droid attack, etc.) to support you in battles.

4) Customization is king.

Being able to see, on the real in-game model, the outfits you assign to them, as well as the weapons and accessories, KOTOR takes on a very Diablo II-like style (or if you prefer, Neverwinter Nights) feel. Assigning items to different body parts is made easy thanks to the largely visual equip screen. You can also upgrade specifica armors and weapons, and even enhance your lightsaber with different crystals.

5) Branching paths.

Obviously, it's up to you whether you choose the light side or the dark side, but it is in your actions and deeds that determines this path. A staggering amount of conversations take place, and almost all of them have meaning.

Unlike Final Fantasy, where NPCs (non-player characters) usually have one or two trite lines of inconsequential hoo-ha to say, in KOTOR you actually have conversations. Sure there are a lot of NPCs with nothing to really add to your experience, but that ratio is kept slim compared to the amount of people who do. Since you get experience for furthering the story, it's in your best interest in both the experience gaining sense and the information-gathering sense to be as verbose as possible. There's a payoff there that most other RPGS simply don't have. The fact that the script is unbelievably well-written helps things. To be quite honest, KOTOR has some of the wittiest dialogue I've ever seen in an RPG.

And since I'm 32 years old, I can say that I've seen 'em all. Oh, and I'm currently playing my way towards the Dark side, and let me just say that the options in the dialogue become a lot funnier when you're evil. Fortunately, since the game was designed this way, you're not quite penalized for playing towards the Dark side. Your companions remain unaware of your leanings except by noting how impatient you seem, or how much danger you're in of being persuaded by the Dark side.

As soon as I'm done with the game as a Dark side-type, I'll play through again as a goody two shoes. While a couple things could make the experience a little smoother (interface things, mostly), it's nothing worth griping over, which leads me back to my original point:

Best. RPG. Ever?

Maybe.

So after all that, who now is REALLY ****ed beause they are even MORE hyped then before? lol, anticipation is a mother f@%#@

RudedogX
07-10-2003, 11:47 AM
So after all that, who now is REALLY ****ed beause they are even MORE hyped then before? lol, anticipation is a mother f@%#@
Damn you!:cuss:

thrAsher
07-10-2003, 11:51 AM
rudedogx: I'm thinking this one is somewhere in the middle. Not as open-ended as Morrowind, while better gameplay wise.

With over 80 hours of gameplay, two paths to walk (Dark and Light), mini-games, lightsabers, force powers, and all set in the pre-Star Wars universe we all know, this game is gonna make people lose sleep. BioWare has done a lot (from what I've read) to make this game appeal to people unfamiliar w/ RPG's, while also providing a deep, rich RPG experience for vets of the genre to enjoy.

And don't forget, downloadable content via Live!

This game is gonna rock your socks off. If it doesn't, I'll eat the damn DVD, box, and manual.

*Edit* Great post, AlBoogy. Thanks. And yeah, anticipation is a beeeyotch!

Fanboy5000
07-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Damn, 10/10. So I guess we all know this is gonna be one raw RPG.

mattgame
07-10-2003, 02:47 PM
:D I know it's gonna be the shizzell my nizzell! I already put my down. 10 out of 10 yeah baby!!!:D

CarGuy
07-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
I'll be one of the first to say, that before Morrowind, I didn't find a RPG I really liked. As I've read about this game, I haven't been able to decide if it's more like Morrowind, or much more like Final Fantasy. Either way, I think from the commercials that I've seen, and this score, and then the comments from my fellow Addicts when I get back from vacation, I'm going to have to pick this game up!

I feel exactly the same way. HOWEVER the best part of Morrowind for me was exploring. I hope i can do a lot of that with this game. No weather effects in KOTOR though, that was a lot of fun in Morrowind.

Dyslexic Chaos
07-10-2003, 09:55 PM
OH.MY.GOD!!! James Mielke is mmy hero and he loves it??!?!?!

I'm pre-ordering this game today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrew king
07-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Damn, we'll see if this game gets similar reviews at some other places. I might go out on a limb and buy this one without a rental if I like the sound of it, it'd be a first.

Dre
07-10-2003, 10:26 PM
And for all you wondering,

6 DAYS!! Went gold yesterday and should be in stores starting the 16th. This game is going to be awesome.

Carguy, there are no weather effects.. But there is wind blowing in the trees, the grass, billows of sand kicked up as you run, and in the wind. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Brevity
07-10-2003, 10:48 PM
I am really wondering if the fighting system is going to be like Kingdom Hearts or more like FFXI, both of which I liked.

AlBoogy
07-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Jerred B
OH.MY.GOD!!! James Mielke is mmy hero and he loves it??!?!?!

I'm pre-ordering this game today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that milkmans real name? BTW, if you dont know what im talking about go back to page 1 and see the impressions left by a GMR editor.

ChiZel_MunKee
07-11-2003, 02:10 PM
This game just might pop my RPG cherry. I've never played one before and this one sounds like a good place to start. I only wish I could do the fighting myself, but if I did then I guess I couldn't control the other people. Oh well.

JJaX
07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
I am really wondering if the fighting system is going to be like Kingdom Hearts or more like FFXI, both of which I liked.

Brevity you are an IGN insider...

Go here
http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?channel_id=73&object_id=480687&adtag=network=ign&site=xbox&pagetype=medialist&page_title=Star%20Wars:%20Knights%20of%20the%20Old%20Republic

And watch Streets of Anchorhead Part 2

It shows a fight sequence with 3 sith.

Its kinda of real time/turn based.

You basically que up like 4 moves per person in your party. (i think its 4, i dunno)

For example, Light saber attack, force push, grenade, heal. And you pick who you want to attack and heal etc.

TheCovenant
07-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Im sure GMR liked it, but gmr likes XBOX.

Im still going to scounder up every posasible nickel i could find to pick this one up, but im just sayiun' lets wait for the ign or gamespot rating, or egm rating first.....

thrAsher
07-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Unlike PotC, which I waited to read the reviews for (and decided to dodge completely), I'm going to pick this up the day it comes out. I have full faith that it'll keep me glued to the tube for much longer than can be deemed healthy.

Dre
07-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
Im sure GMR liked it, but gmr likes XBOX.

I've never read GMR, but everyone else on this thread has been saying they aren't that big of a fan of the Xbox. Then you say they do like em. So uh... wtf is up?

Papke
07-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Ninja, we rapped togetha up in a thread about Brute Force.

You were tryin' to figure out if it was any good or not. Oh, and we talked a little about your sig cause I though it was...uh....phat. Yeah.:D

Speaking of sigs..........If anyone wants to hook me up I'd appreciate it.

Peace.

Dyslexic Chaos
07-11-2003, 10:57 PM

Is that milkmans real name? BTW, if you dont know what im talking about go back to page 1 and see the impressions left by a GMR editor.

Yes, yes it is. He was the best reviewer at EGM untill he went to GMR, which i now also subscribe to. He's wacky, funny, and always very informative. Best. Reviewer. Ever!!!!

Xbox Owner
07-13-2003, 12:08 AM
BUMP..

Gameinformer gave it 9.5/10

and Unlimted Lives gave it 6 out of 6 (wonders why it's out of six?)

The guy reviewing it said it is now his fave. game, not halo.

link >> http://www.unlimitedlives.com/games/abstracts/view_item.php?1057978138

No Fear 23
07-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I want another game like Halo...

Halo whore:cuss: :cuss:

lol :cheers: i know how you feel. i wish everygame was like halo

AlBoogy
07-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by No Fear 23

lol :cheers: i know how you feel. i wish everygame was like halo

I dont know if you mean that by a FPS like Halo or a game that gets scores like Halo. If you mean it like a game that gets scores like Halo then youll be happy to know that Game Informer also gave Halo a 9.5

JJaX
07-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner
BUMP..

Gameinformer gave it 9.5/10

and Unlimted Lives gave it 6 out of 6 (wonders why it's out of six?)

The guy reviewing it said it is now his fave. game, not halo.

link >> http://www.unlimitedlives.com/games/abstracts/view_item.php?1057978138

Why do some reviews say the frame rate drops, but some say its 'rock solid'?

Which one is it?

Dre
07-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Jjax, Bioware released versions of the game to reviewers that weren't complete yet and others got the final versions. It all depends on when they got their review copies.

JJaX
07-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Jjax, Bioware released versions of the game to reviewers that weren't complete yet and others got the final versions. It all depends on when they got their review copies.

Ok cool...

Because poor FPS always spoil the fun ;)

I really hope its solid! I cant wait :cheers:

Unreal
07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Im too lazy to search this thread but according to gamerankings.com the game recieved at 9.5/10 from gameinformer. So it is looking very good for KotoR right now. Which I will be picking up in a couple of days or so :D