PDA

View Full Version : LAN with 2 xboxs, sounds easy, what went wronge?help!

lotec16
07-10-2003, 12:56 AM
i took my xbox over to a friends for a lan party and we just used one cable to hook them up, no router,xbox to xbox, and it didn't work. do i need a router or can i just hook the 2 boxes together? i play online so i know its the right cable, what did i do wronge

Uchiha Sasuke
07-10-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by lotec16
i took my xbox over to a friends for a lan party and we just used one cable to hook them up, no router,xbox to xbox, and it didn't work. do i need a router or can i just hook the 2 boxes together? i play online so i know its the right cable, what did i do wronge

When you play console to console make sure its a crossover cable.

VenoM
07-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Substance Snake

When you play console to console make sure its a crossover cable.

yup..what sub said..has to be a crossover cable when you wanna connect a xbox to another xbox

l Maximus l
07-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Lotec...what you are doing to play online is using a CAT 5 Patch cable. However, to hook to XBoxes together without the addition of a HUB, Switch, or Router, you simply need to use a CAT 5 Crossover Cable.

The general rule is, whenever there is a HUB, Switch, or Router, you always use Patch cables. But, when networking two units of hardware together, you always use a Crossover instead. (For example: Two computers, Two XBoxes, a Computer and an XBox, etc...)

Technically, you can also hook two XBoxes together with a HUB, Switch, or a Router if you use Patch cables. Why? Remember, always use Patch cables when there is a HUB, Switch, or Router.

Get it?

Coolness :wink:

lotec16
07-10-2003, 11:23 AM
thank you!

EHWfedPres
07-10-2003, 11:32 AM
I have a friend who made a system link cable out of wnother type of cable, and it works for system link as well as xbl...

:huh:

JJaX
07-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I have a friend who made a system link cable out of wnother type of cable, and it works for system link as well as xbl...

Of course you can make your own Cat 5 and cross over wires.

Your friend isnt steven hawkins...

l Maximus l
07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

If you connect two Patch cables together with a coupler, you get a Crossover. A third patch cable connected to that, you go back to a patch cable. Not many people know this, but, I thought I would edumacate sum peeeeeple :cool:

lotec16
07-10-2003, 09:53 PM
can u use a crossover as a patch cable with a router? seems like u could

Toder
07-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by lotec16
can u use a crossover as a patch cable with a router? seems like u could

Depends on what type of router you have. If you have one that has auto sensing ports then yes. The wiring in crossover cables and mainly intended with just comp to comp b/c teh eight wires in the cat-5 our wired different at the ends so that pins 3 and 6 on one end transmits and pins 3 and 6 on the other recieve. With a patch cable both ends of pins 3 and 6 recieve b/c pins 3 and 6 of the poet on your hub or router or switch recieve.

l Maximus l
07-12-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Toder

Depends on what type of router you have. If you have one that has auto sensing ports then yes. The wiring in crossover cables and mainly intended with just comp to comp b/c teh eight wires in the cat-5 our wired different at the ends so that pins 3 and 6 on one end transmits and pins 3 and 6 on the other recieve. With a patch cable both ends of pins 3 and 6 recieve b/c pins 3 and 6 of the poet on your hub or router or switch recieve.

Yeah! Like he said.

Sorry for the SPAM :yikes: http://www.ileet.net/images/alien.gif

Duke
07-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Your friend isnt steven hawkins...

Don't know Steve Hawkins, but this is my buddy Stephen Hawking at a strip club. Guess even the world's smartest man can be fooled into thinking a 20-something stripper is "really into"
him

strip (http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2003310398,00.jpg)

just reminded me i saw it on some humor page (probable college humor) the other day.

Papke
07-12-2003, 03:45 PM
So, are you guys friends with Steven Hawking or not?

If in fact you are.....you have a 'robot buddy.'

lotec16
07-12-2003, 09:18 PM
"I am steven hawkings"(robot voice)