PDA

View Full Version : News from homepage...New FPS controller?

l Maximus l
07-10-2003, 01:41 AM
I realize that we can discuss this controller with our comments on the homepage...but, let's get some deeper interaction with this bad boy. This definately looks like a sharp controller, however, I'm not sure if I'm diggin' the button scheme. I mean, two buttons on the left and two on the right? This would definately take some major adjusting...but, I'm willing to give it a test play to see if it's worthy of a purchase. What do you guys think?

Here is the pic:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/801690b.jpg

Xbox Owner
07-10-2003, 01:45 AM
It look's badass, but, the layout..?

diranged
07-10-2003, 01:50 AM
whats the thing in the middle is it the logo or a screen?

ScorpionX
07-10-2003, 01:56 AM
I'm not liking the thumbstick layout.... thats gonna feel strange after being used to the left one raised :huh:

And isn't there an extra button on there?:watchout:

l Maximus l
07-10-2003, 02:02 AM
I think the premise is sweet, though. On the homepage, there is a link to Gamestop, the only place taking preorders for this controller. And, on the site, it has a tiny description saying:

* Symmetrical sticks

* Rubber grips

* Easily programmable buttons

So, to make an attempt to answer Scorpion's question, all the buttons are programmable...so, I guess you can really tailor how you want the controller to play...I guess more button options couldn't be a bad thing. I guess we'll see...All I know is that I would like to give it a test play and see if it's worthy of a purchase.

lol...just imagine mastering this controller and several weeks later, you attend a System Link game of Halo at a buddy's house that has 15 other dudes ready to rumble. Imagine the look on their faces, especially if many of the dudes never met you, and you bust this bad boy out :D hehe

prakeem
07-10-2003, 03:30 AM
This controller looks HYPE! If those are ring caps aroung the triggers, that would give it a more realistic appeal.

SkoalMint
07-10-2003, 04:48 AM
I'm not sure if I like the button placement. I can imagine there would be times when you wouldn't want to let go of the left stick in order to press those two buttons near it.

I checked out the manufacture's website. Apparently they make alot of those little handheld games and the "PlayTV" games. I did find a press release (http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNewsStory.aspx?partner=Mzg0TnpBeU53PT1QJFkEQUALSTO&product=MzgwU1ZJPVAkWQEQUALSTOEQUALSTO&storyId=78262) from November 14, 2001 (the day before Xbox Launch). No other information on the site since then, so I wonder if this is really something that is coming out.

Himji
07-10-2003, 05:29 AM
Ok first off, I don't see any too special especially FPS orientated with this stick apart from the look of it. Is there somethingmore centric to FPS that I'm missing?

Secondly, I like the two buttons on either side configuration, I haven't played Halo loads (gone through the story 1 1/2 times) but one thing that kept happening to me is in the heat of battle, I'd hit the jump key instead of the thwack with weapon key all too often, so this should solve that prob :)

Kraft
07-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Im guessing that the two buttons by the left stick are going to be either start and select, or the black and white buttons. Either way, those 4 buttons are the least used in practically any game. This controller has potential so long as the analog sticks are first-party quality or higher. If they have mad catz durability or response though , then this thing is going to be a giant piece of garbage.

Ford Mustang
07-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Ah, Kraft, you have also had problems with MadCatz? I bought one of their controllers and it broke in 1 week. From now on I'm buying nothing but first party.

THis controller does look pretty sweet though, I like the trigger guards on the bottom. I don't about the sticks being on the same level, that will take some getting used to, as does every controller, I suppose.

Kraft
07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ford_Mustang
Ah, Kraft, you have also had problems with MadCatz? I bought one of their controllers and it broke in 1 week. From now on I'm buying nothing but first party.

I would venture to say that anyone who has ever bought a mad catz has had a problem with it. Even right out of the package the triggers and analog sticks seem flimsy and unresponsive as compared to 1st party stuff.

I don't know, maybe I am being a stuck up controller-connoseuir much like people complain about wine years and tobacco cuts. But either way, I can definately tell a difference.

thrAsher
07-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

I would venture to say that anyone who has ever bought a mad catz has had a problem with it. Even right out of the package the triggers and analog sticks seem flimsy and unresponsive as compared to 1st party stuff.

I don't know, maybe I am being a stuck up controller-connoseuir much like people complain about wine years and tobacco cuts. But either way, I can definately tell a difference.
I bought a MadCatz Microcon for when my little brother comes over to the house. It's small and ez for him to use. Whenever I've used it, however, it feels VERY unresponsive. Especially the thumbsticks, they're soooo loose. And the macro button is a pain in the butt, cuz it freezes the controller when you accidentally hit it. And the rumble pack is nowhere as good as the Controller S.

It's good for a spare, but I'd never buy another one.

runninutes
07-10-2003, 01:08 PM
I beg to differ with you guys - I have a Microcon and love it. It's all I use now. I play Outlaw Golf a lot, and the best driver you can get is called the Atlas. With the normal MS controller, it's impossible to control. You're always hooking or slicing. With my Microcon, though, I hit it straight every time. However, I also get the precision I need to make those slight adjustments to my shot - when I need to get that extra 1 or 2% power to hit it where I want, I can pull back on the stick just a bit more, and bingo. I have to admit that after several months of use, it died on me recently. However, I called Mad Catz customer service, and thanks to the five-year warranty, I now have a brand new Microcon! I've had other Mad Catz products in the past, and while I can't remember if I've liked them all, I know I've at least liked some others.

One note, though - I have heard nothing but bad about the Mad Catz wireless controller for Xbox... Not willing to plunk down my cash just to find out for myself, though.

Flood
07-10-2003, 03:26 PM
im sceptical about the controller....i'd give it a shot for free...but i wont buy it on a whim

MerimacHamwich
07-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Uncomfortable, that is the one word that will describe that controller. The angle at which the hand grips lie per the button face is too extreme. I have played with controllers like that before and they cuase extreme hand and wrist fatigue.

LynxFX
07-10-2003, 05:21 PM
I already said this in the news comments but I'll say it again here, a controller is a controller. I don't see it having any improvement over the standard Xbox controller. There may be a few added conviences or improvements with button layout and what not, but the look and movement is still done with joysticks and still won't even beat a mouse and keyboard. So I'll definately pass.

I must admit that it does look sharp though. A very "mech" style to it.

Knight
07-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/801690b.jpg

What's it cost?

Cryogenic Pyro
07-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Knight

What's it cost?
$29.99

No Fear 23
07-11-2003, 01:12 AM
i dont think its a big deal bc all they did was just add the "gun" feel on a controller. it may feel nice for your trigger fingers, but its the joysticks that is the big part of the game. you gotta move and aim which shows your skillz. it kinda makes the gun controller pointless to me. but who knows, maybe i will like the feel of it.

Splinter-Seal
07-11-2003, 02:08 PM
The button scheme is something I could get use to. However, that left raised stick is something I really like. I could get use to that as well, I'm just not sure if I would want to. Looks promising though to say the least.

As for MadCatz, if that is all I had to play consoles with I'd be PC Gamer only. I WILL NEVER buy another joke product from that ultra lame company.

I've never had the displeasure of using one for my Xbox, but for my PS2 when my stock controller finally laid down on me, instead of buying another Sony controller I opted for the cheap route and bought a damn MadCatz. Boy was that a mistake.

The damn thing wouldn't even let you throw hand grenades on SOCOM. I thought I had a bad controller, or had it configured improperly. So, I picked up another, the "more expensive model mind you".. same thing happened. I was really lured with the whole rubber hand-grip thing, ya know? It looked and felt nice.

Lesson learned.....

:cheers:

l Maximus l
07-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
I already said this in the news comments but I'll say it again here, a controller is a controller. I don't see it having any improvement over the standard Xbox controller. There may be a few added conviences or improvements with button layout and what not, but the look and movement is still done with joysticks and still won't even beat a mouse and keyboard. So I'll definately pass.

I must admit that it does look sharp though. A very "mech" style to it.

Oh, geeeez...you PC gamers :D

To me, a keyboard and mouse is about as unnatural as you can get. But hey, that's just me

Duke
07-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Eh, kb and mouse grew on me when I was playing MPBT and MPBT:3025. MW series always kinda bummed me out though.

Anywhoo, if it's better, I'll get it. But one of the reasons I bought the xbox was because it had exactly what I wanted for an FPS controller.

LynxFX
07-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Oh, geeeez...you PC gamers :D

To me, a keyboard and mouse is about as unnatural as you can get. But hey, that's just me

Maxi and his controller. :D If I started out on the controller I probably would prefer that too but I've been using a m/kb combo since 1994 using virtually the same key assignments for all FPS games. Kinda hard to break that familiarization. :)

GokuX
07-13-2003, 01:38 AM
It's kinda funny because I think Goldeneye and the N64 controller was the absolute pinnacle of the console FPS / controller combo. To me, everything was kinda downhill after that, but Halo with the S Controller is a step in the right direction towards the goodness of the "Golden" age.