PDA

View Full Version : If you had the opportunity............

Vteck3000
12-12-2001, 09:00 PM
If you had the opportunity to modify your XBOX by installing a higher processor or better hard drive would you do it ????? Of course that wouldn't be approved by Microsoft. The instuctions would be posted on a website and you had to do it or a professional computer wiz would do it for you. I was just wondering that cause i read one of the last articles that XBOX ADDICT posted about hackers trying to discover whats inside our machines. And their objectives are to modifie the XBOX to make it faster. What if some how later on this year or in 2 years they would accomplish that and post the instructions on how to do it........ would you ????????? :D

Frostberg
12-12-2001, 09:53 PM
Cant upgrade the processor or HD...and there is no reason to. This is why I love consoles. It isint like the PC market where you constantly need to buy video cards and RAM and such...everyone has the exact same Xbox and all the developers know what hardware is inside your Xbox so the games will be fully optimized for your Xbox. There would also be no reason to upgrade, even if you could (and you cant) because it wouldnt do anything. For example, Halo is locked at 30FPS...so getting a more powerful processor wont help a bit because games are ment to run smoothly and the best at the current hardware levels.

JeremyX
12-12-2001, 10:27 PM
How much more power do you need!?

adamw19
12-12-2001, 10:31 PM
My stupid picture in my signature won't work? it keep saying Image Hosted by Tripod... Or Image hosted by angelfire... how come angelfire doesn't allow me to post a image through there site? someone else did it through angelfire.

takn414
12-12-2001, 11:28 PM
who wouldn't. of course it is a great machine...but if we can make it even stronger, why not?

Vteck3000
12-12-2001, 11:33 PM
To my opinion you don't need more power in the XBOX. I was just wandering what other people where thinking about this whole hacking thing. If they do accomplish what they want i hope it brings something more to the XBOX and will not destroy what it's suppose to be. I'm talking probably about emulators. That would be nice but hey my Dreamcast does that already. I would never add anything to my XBOX even if it meant that i would get better graphics or have a faster processor. I respect what Microsoft did and will always respect it. Just want to know your opinion :D Thank you !

Rochey69r
12-12-2001, 11:36 PM
u wont want more power now but in a years time i bet you would!!!

Tazilla
12-13-2001, 12:57 AM
if these little hacks wanna turn their Xboxes into a freaking computer to run linux and word processors,.. let 'em,...

No matter what they do to them,.. after the damage is done,.. it will not perform the way it was meant to,...

Games may skip, freeze,.. or not play at all,.. (one little hack says "But I can run linux on it!"

So Freakin what!,... the developers have a set of standards to program for, and that Standard is the highest available anywhere,...
not even a PC game can compare,... every PC game is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator,...

No matter what the little hacks do,.. or how hard they try,... they will not make the Xbox any better than it already is,...

That's my Story,.. and I'm sticking to it,...

sinizuh
12-13-2001, 01:24 AM
EGOR! WE NEED MORE POWER!!!

lol

i don't think i would. cause a) it will take them a long time to get passed the xbox security (they already have the HD passwords) b) i'd rather buy good games (which might be a while)

FpS_PhReeK
12-13-2001, 03:53 AM
The software is the more important piece of this equation right now,,,, I mean we have enough power and graphical capability,,, it is up to game developers to create games that use what is there.

The second and third wave of games should shed some light on what the Xbox is capoable of. Only then will we know if the hardware is truely sufficent.

PhReeK out!

Tazilla
12-13-2001, 04:09 AM
I couldn't agree with you more PhReeK

The developers will have tons of cool things happening in the games soon,...

more than we could ever imagine,...

Just looking at the launch titles,.. makes it hard to believe that they are first Gen

WOW

maneatingcow
12-13-2001, 07:00 AM
Tazilla makes some excelent points. The XBox was made to be a gaming machine. Why in the hell would you buy it just to convert it into a PC, the one thing Microsoft does not want it to be?

If Microsoft was planning on upgrading the XBox, they would have had left some open ports *cough*PS2*cough* so that you could. The XBox is excelent the way it is, and if you truly fill up your HD to the brim, odds are you haven't used half of it in a couple months, and it shouldn't be too hard to let go.

XAddict
12-13-2001, 07:54 AM
be proud of the xbox's hardrive, its the best there is out right now. Just be grateful u dont have a lamecube which has about just as much memory as my grandmother

Tazilla
12-13-2001, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by maneatingcow
Tazilla makes some excelent points.

Thank you

]Originally posted by maneatingcow
If Microsoft was planning on upgrading the XBox, they would have had left some open ports *cough*PS2*cough* so that you could. The XBox is excelent the way it is, and if you truly fill up your HD to the brim, odds are you haven't used half of it in a couple months, and it shouldn't be too hard to let go.

So true

Get that man a beer!

maneatingcow
12-13-2001, 09:34 AM
No thanks Tazilla.... I dont drink

*maneatingcow prepares for Tazilla's astonishment at how one could survive without the sacred liquid......*

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 11:52 AM
If you think about it, the software is made for the existing XBox console. Why make it more powerful? It's not as if the software is going to provide better graphics or gameplay! The games are designed for the existing system...so, any modification will not effect this.

If people want to add a Word processor or play MPegs, etc...why don't they just get their asses off their couch, step away from their XBox (I can't believe I just said that :eek: ), and kindly journey over to their PC and do everything they need there?

The XBox is a gaming console and there are reasons why Microsoft doesn't want people messing around with the hardware. No one wants to see a ruined XBox, ya know!? :)

FpS_PhReeK
12-13-2001, 12:20 PM
If it ain't broke don't try to fix it you will just end up breaking it. PLus why would you want to..... I mean it is an Xbox,,,,, it is not like you have a obsolete piece of equipement like the G.aycube or the PoS2.

PhReeK out!

Hugh_Jass
12-13-2001, 12:23 PM
All the chips are soldered to the motherboard. If they were socketed I'd think about it.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the hard drive to a 7200 or 10000 RPM model if it would be compatible. I also would use a faster DVD-ROM drive if one were available.

On the other hand, part of the reason why I bought the XBOX was because I was tired of upgrading my PC every time a new video or sound card came out. I wanted the sealed system as a way to alleviate aggravation and reduce my expenses while still having the hottest games available.

So I guess I probably won't upgrade until the XBOX2 comes out.
:D

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
All the chips are soldered to the motherboard. If they were socketed I'd think about it.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the hard drive to a 7200 or 10000 RPM model if it would be compatible. I also would use a faster DVD-ROM drive if one were available.

On the other hand, part of the reason why I bought the XBOX was because I was tired of upgrading my PC every time a new video or sound card came out. I wanted the sealed system as a way to alleviate aggravation and reduce my expenses while still having the hottest games available.

So I guess I probably won't upgrade until the XBOX2 comes out.

Mmmmmm................................yummy. XBox2...imagine the possibilities!?!? It will probably be one of those systems that don't require a screen...just a dark room and a wrestling mat so you can beat the crap (or smooch) Tina on DOA4 as a Hologram :D

Tazilla
12-13-2001, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by maneatingcow
No thanks Tazilla.... I dont drink

*maneatingcow prepares for Tazilla's astonishment at how one could survive without the sacred liquid......*

mec,..

That's totally okay,..
You're good enough,
You're smart enough
and Dog gone it,..
People like you,...

There are those that don't drink,...
There are those that do,...
There are those like me and Max,...
That love the scacred brew,...
I would drink beer in a box,..
I would drink beer with a fox,..
I would drink beer on a train,...
I would drink beer in the rain,..
Drink it, drink it,..
then you'll see,..
you too, will end up
Like Max and Me,...

by Taz I Am

Vteck3000
12-13-2001, 06:18 PM
I think that the hackers that are trying to reverse engineer the XBOX are simply trying to proove a point to themselves. What i mean by that is that one of them is trying to accomplish what other hackers want to do first and thats to crack the XBOX........ to discover its secrets and how it works. Microsoft knew that would happen and they invested ALOT of money to prevent that kind of thing. Like one of you guys said they will have difficulties doing it because they have to get the code to enter the HD. But what if they do........... what happens after.............. i think thats just the beginning of their problems cause Microsoft didn't invest that much money on that machine for nothing. One thing i suggest those hackers to do is : instead of trying to crack the XBOX why don't you make games for it.......... i bet some of those people are really good in programming :D It would benefit us THE GAMERS and them to make a name for themselves and earn lots of cash :D :D

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 06:28 PM
in case no one read my first poat, you CANT upgrade the XBox, so dont even worry about it. You wouldnt want to anyway, it wouldnt do anything you think it will do...

Vteck3000
12-13-2001, 06:43 PM
Nerve say " never " ............. you don't know what the future holds.............. thats what they said for the DC and look hackers are still doing stuff for that machine......... emulators, games, programes............ it may happen to the XBOX........ but hopefully it will NEVER DESTROY IT ( by that i mean puting it out of business like it happened for Sega ) :mad:

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 07:04 PM
well what i mean is that you cant "hack" or alter the hardware...maybe you can find the way to add something to the HD...but who cants to or cares? I dont want my $300 xbox to mess up by altering the HD

batman46st
12-13-2001, 07:29 PM
i already have a computer n i hate playing vids on it even with voodoo 5 thas why i wanted the xbox i wanted mature games those that microsoft creats so i said hell i just got my medicine.... god does listen to us..... :)

LynxFX
12-14-2001, 04:23 AM
I think it is cool that they already just replaced the ata 33 cable with an ata 66/100 cable. If there is a noticable difference and the HD is actually ata66 or ata100 (which it should be) then I'll do that. This should speed up load times mostly of the info that has been transfered to the HD.

Vteck3000
12-14-2001, 06:48 PM
Did you see the new article that XBOX ADDICT posted. Mirosoft is worth more than 100 billion dollars.......... wow ......... and thats not even Bill Gates money.......... he got his own money.......... man i wish i was that wealthy........... but anyways my point is that with those new numbers in my head, i don't think hackers will ever discover the secret my XBOX holds.............. this time their dealing with a pro and not an amateur like Sony............ WYA TO GO BILL.............. KEEP YOUR SECRETS......... this way we will enjoy your box better :D

LynxFX
12-14-2001, 07:00 PM
If it can be engineered, it can be reverse engineered. They already cracked the codes to the harddrive. It is just a matter of time. Remember that MS is the same pro that created XP which was cracked before it was released.

smack119
12-14-2001, 11:59 PM
i wouldnt want to change it... im sure it would cause a problem somewhere down the line