PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carribean OR Star Wars: Kotor???

xbox genius
07-12-2003, 12:40 AM
i am gonna pick up a few more games this weekend and next weekend. I am in need of a good rpg game that will last me for a long time and is complex.

I was wondering which is better... POTC or KOTOR????

NEED some opinions on these 2 games.... i dont know what to get... cant get both tho, i dont got enough money to get both.

Thanks

VenoM
07-12-2003, 12:52 AM
id go for kotor....looks cooler....tried potc and wasnt to fond of it....but everybody is different...kotor just seems to be more deep and so far has had great reviews...just wait and see

MerimacHamwich
07-12-2003, 12:58 AM
Well, making a thread about two games, one being out and the other unrealeased isn't too wise in this situation. You will get alot of biased replies based on hype. I say wait until KOTOR comes out and rent it. Until then, rent POTC and find out if you like it.

Personally, I love POTC. At first it didn't seem very good to me, but after the the first 10 or so minutes of gameplay after the first cutscene I can say I was hooked.

The games world seemed to be opening up to me. I started learning new things and evolving as a character. I simply love it.
:cheers:

CarGuy
07-12-2003, 01:09 AM
KOTOR is getting getting 10/10's in reviews and such. POTC is at best "good". They wont even be in the same league as soon as KOTOR comes out.

SakapuntaS
07-12-2003, 01:19 AM
For the first time in xboxaddict.com history I agree with merimach 100%, maybe even 110%. Although I didn't get PoTC for Xbox, I got it for PC...but there is no difference except for the slow downs I'm hearing the xbox is having (temporary cache slowdowns so its no big deal). I began playing PoTC earlier this afternoon, and I will admit, I didn't like it at all. For about the first 30 minutes I was wondering to myself if I would ever get better...boy I was I in for a surprise. PoTC is VERY deep and it has a VERY difficult learning curve. I've totalled close to 8 hours of gametime in my first day, and I havnt even really begun experiencing all what PoTC has to offer. As you pirateer, you're character grows, you're party members grow, and its all up to you HOW they grow. Apart from the main quest, it's YOUR choice whether or not you will terrorize the ocean, become a legendary merchant, an honest do-gooder...You really have the option to do so many things. Also, if you're looking for a game that you are not going to beat in a couple days, this game is for you. I guarantee with the length of the game, the open-endedness, the difficulty, the steep learning curve..You will be playing this for weeks upon months..all while having fun.

Now In my own personal game, The first couple hours were a little rough. I had to restart many times (save often!!!) - I got my ass kicked fighting everytime until I happened upon a very very nice falchion in a cave (it was stuck in a pole =) lucky me)...and from there on I got used to it, got better, and for once *I* was the one who was doing the ass kicking. I then followed the main quest , and I am still following it with unbreakable concentration. I'm going to stop pursuing the main quest as soon as I get a gap, an oppurtunity to just wander off into the ocean and forget about my troubles the crown has served to me.

-Saka

MerimacHamwich
07-12-2003, 01:28 AM
I have the PC version too. :D

Yeah, I tottally agree with Saka. Although I haven't gone dungeon crawling in the game yet I am still learning new things about merchandising and sailing. Its great. After I get some deeds done I think I will search out some nice caves and dungeons to clear out. :D

CarGuy, as for the 10/10's KOTOR is alledgedly recieving from many game websites. Well, that right there is a sign of flawed hype. No game will ever be perfect and thus rightfully deserve a 10/10. Halo is a prime example, its a fun game yes, but there is alot to improve upon in the game. Unlike most poeple I would only give it an 8/10. I see its flaws, I am not blinded by its triumphs. As well, POTC regularly gets 8-9's from readers on game websites. So the "professional" reviews have no real bearing on how a gamer will like a game, unless it is a negative response due to hype stimuli.

Piccolo_DBz
07-12-2003, 02:03 AM
I would have to go with KOTOR.

Shadow20002
07-12-2003, 02:39 AM
First of all, I'm not really a fan of Star Wars series but this time, gonna check it out for sure. Maybe i will like it. :p

Dre
07-12-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
As well, POTC regularly gets 8-9's from readers on game websites.

Its also regularly getting 5-6's from readers on game websites.

Haven't played either, but I'd put money on the fact that KOTOR will blow PotC out of the water (pun intended!) :)

Arven
07-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Put your $50 down on KOTOR. It's looking to be a fantastic RPG, put out by a master developer, and the first two reviews have given it a perfect score -- which, btw, were not based on hype, as a previous poster suggested: Milke, for GMR, stated that KOTOR had been off his radar completely and he was unaware of the hype, had no idea of how good the game would be.

Re. PotC -- I had a lot of slowdown and lock-ups on my Xbox, and other people have reported similar problems. Still others have reported no problems whatsoever. If you want to try PotC, you really ought to rent it first, to see if it runs okay on your Xbox. Or at least buy it at a place with a generous return policy. In my opinion, PotC is a good game, ruined by technical shortcomings; it seems rushed and flawed to me.

LTM360
07-12-2003, 09:00 AM
KOTOR. POTC is based directly off a movie. KOTOR, is at least completely different. And its been getting some pretty good reviews...10/10 yeah, Id definitely go KOTOR.

Fanboy5000
07-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by LTM360
KOTOR. POTC is based directly off a movie. KOTOR, is at least completely different. And its been getting some pretty good reviews...10/10 yeah, Id definitely go KOTOR.

I haven't played the game, but I know it was Sea Dogs 2 and the only thing based off of the movie is the name. Just so you know.....

Duke
07-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Two diff't games it seems. After hearing too much negative feedback on POTC (which I was really excited for) I'd almost decided to go with KOTOR. But the turn-based aspect really turned me off to that.

I'm ready to get a new RPG (don't need more than one at a time), but I've been beating myself over the head between the two. Unfortuantely my town is horrible for rentals, and more so for rpg's. Guess I'll wait for the player reviews to come out for KOTOR. Although Merrimac and others have been rebuilding my confidence in POTC.

SakapuntaS
07-12-2003, 11:50 AM
You guys - The negative scores PoTC is receiving is not because its a bad game...It's because its very difficult. Like I said in my post, in the beginning, I was like what the hell is this crap. I stuck with it nonetheless and fortunately I have found a game I will be playing for a very long time. PoTC *IS* a great RPG, and Kotor *MAY* be a great RPG....So why not play the one thats currently released? Give PoTC a try, a true try, at least put a couple hours into it and I guarantee you won't regret it.

*note to merimach*
-Have you found any gems? - On the info it says they can be placed in a sword...But I have no idea how to do this.

JR Alberda
07-12-2003, 12:25 PM
If you got the cash, get both. I am going to hold off on POTC until I am done with KOTOR, or at least am bored.

thrAsher
07-12-2003, 12:40 PM
KOTOR all the way, IMHO. Lightsabers beat longswords any day. I mean, would you rather roleplay a pirate/merchant or a Jedi? Really, the decision is easy, for me at least.

Now, for those of you promoting PotC, how many of you have it on the Xbox? It seems like a lot of you are playing it on PC, and while I'm sure it is fine on PC, what I think those looking at this thread want to know, is how does it play on our beloved Xboxes?

Dre
07-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
But the turn-based aspect really turned me off to that.

But its not turn based. There is so much confusion about the combat system in KOTOR its unbelievable.

This is from a Bioware developer who was discussing the differences between real-time and turn-based combat

Many games use a hybrid of the two methods, and KotOR will not be an exception. All of the initiative, attack rolling, who acts first, how far you can move, etc. stuff that typically drives a turn-based system will be "under the hood" of the combat engine, happening so fast that you will never know it's there. The result will be that combats will run as fast as you want to issue commands (or pause the game to take a breath and calmly issue different commands to different party members). A turn-based system is running, but so quickly that it appears real-time, since it's just you and all of those computer-controlled bad-guys! Baldur's Gate was like this, as well as Neverwinter Nights.

In other words, if you just stand around, you'll get hacked to bits. You need to be quick on the draw to assign all the feats, force powers, etc. to use during battle for all three members of your party. You can pause the game to do this if you need more time. But, this game is by no means a turn-based combat game in the traditional sense.

If you want to read the rest of this post, its in this FAQ on the Bioware Forums (http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=156298&forum=26)

Arven
07-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SakapuntaS
You guys - The negative scores PoTC is receiving is not because its a bad game...It's because its very difficult. [....]

It's also because of the technical problems: slowdown, corrupted game saves, and lock-ups.

MerimacHamwich
07-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Fanboy5000

I haven't played the game, but I know it was Sea Dogs 2 and the only thing based off of the movie is the name. Just so you know.....
Oh so true. Pirates of the Caribbean has been in development for a long time, under the guise of Sea Dogs II. When the chance came for Bethesda to get some more funding on the project (IE: Disney), they bit. They sacrificed the name and included a ship from the movie and an actors voice. The rest of the game is still what was being developed for Sea Dogs II.

Saka, I had no idea you could imbue weapons with Gems, I have found them yes, but I sold them. Geeze, you really do learn something new about this game everyday! Man, I love it. Now I am going to have to try and find out how to imbue them. It says you can in the manual you say?

I know before I read about smuggling I never knew you could do it. Then I went to a Tavern, talked to a guy and smuggled some goods to a Dutch island. :cheers:

Its really bothering me how poeple in this thread are making POTC out to be a bad game when they themselves have not played it. They are not necessarily outright saying that its a bad game but they are indirectly doing so. Saying things such as, "KOTOR is getting 10/10's by some guy on the internet! POTC is ony gettin 7's and 8's. Maybe rent POTC but definetly get KOTOR, there is no doubt it is an AMAZING game! I mean, two reviews from someone I don't know must mean that it is a perfect game. Becuase we all know that a perfect score is attainable in real life."

...:watchout:

Edit: As for the running of POTC on the Xbox. I truly don't know becuase I haven't played it on Xbox. However, the following stats are that of my PC.
Celeron 1.3ghz
384mb SD-Ram
24x CDROM
GeForce 2 GTS/Pro 64mb

Now, while I have moe ram and better CPU speed than the Xbox, my videocard is quite a bit worse. It runs fine on my PC. I admit sometimes it slows down, but only in some spots. I think the Xbox can handle the game. Whether or not it does is unknown to me. I have faith though.

DocHoliday78
07-12-2003, 02:22 PM
KOTR for sure, that is a no contest.

SakapuntaS
07-12-2003, 02:35 PM
How can you guys be so sure about KOTOR? How many times has lucasarts made a ****ty star wars game..whats different about this one? Now, I'm not saying I won't get this game, burn it from some1, rent it, but I think you are all being unfair to PoTC. The xbox slowdowns are from cacheing or so I hear...and its temporary. If you cant deal with that, then why not just get it for the computer (if applicable)? Im running a 2.4 ghz, Geforce 4..and it runs smooth, but then again this computer is only a month old.

Mac- I dont have the manual because this is a copied game...If you find a gem (mine is purple) - and you click info - it says something to the lines of "this can fit in your sword and make your hands stronger"....Just next time you come across one of these little babies ... read the info on it =)

MerimacHamwich
07-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Oh. Cool. I'm thinking there might be something you get from the main storyline to combine items. Like in Diablo 2. Or maybe there is a person in each town who can do it. Like a loanshark. I never knew you could deposit money there until like my second or third day playing. And you get interest! :D

I am going to play soon. Maybe take a screenshot for that ownage thread in the Off Topic Lounge.

Papke
07-12-2003, 02:54 PM
It depends on your style of RPG. I was never a fan of hardcore, attack-defend RPGs and though neither is truly like this, KOTOR does have a combat style kinda-sorta related to that. In reviews it says you can battle in real time combat if you are fast enough. But if you've seen the 25 minute KOTOR video of XBLgamers.com, you'll notice that he really isn't in real time combat.
However much I may dislike that style of combat, PoTC's weakest element is its combat in my opinion. The damage zones are terrible and my attack usually flew through an enemy's body, inflicting no damage. But from my experience, the game is MUCH deeper than it first appears and geared more towards exploration and sailing around.

As you may be able to tell, an element such as combat rests highly atop my list. Without a style I enjoy, the game isn't worth playing. :cool:

If anyone saw this before edit........Forget what I said....I was confused.:huh:

MerimacHamwich
07-12-2003, 03:02 PM
I actually find melee combat in POTC to be quite easy. Unless ofcourse there is more than two enemies attacking you. The thing is, it takes ALOT of defense and timing to be good at it. Halfway through a swing of your sword you can decide to stop and block. So if you swing but see your opponent start to swing as well you can abandon your attack and retreat to block, its quite handy. I do admit I wish it was a little deeper but it still does the job well, it just takes some practice.

Ship combat is a tottally different story though. It is fairly deep, requiring strategy and planning, different in each encounter. If you wish to run from the battle then there is certain steps to take to make running easier. If you wish to battle then there are also several different ways of going about it. From the ammo, to your ships speed, the variation in attacking and defending styles is quite original in the ship combat. Once again though, it takes practice.

I have to ask Papke, how have you played KOTOR? I have an idea but I am not sure.

Also, to set the record straight, I am looking forward to KOTOR.

Papke
07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Check the edit Merimac.......my bad:(

EHWfedPres
07-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Im getting both, screw it.

Arven
07-12-2003, 05:59 PM
I mean, two reviews from someone I don't know must mean that it is a perfect game."

Just for the record, it's three now. Well, not perfect. But GI gave it 9.5/10.
:)

And also, for the record, I did play PotC myself, and I found it to be a buggy mess on my Xbox. I hated that -- I WANTED it to be a good game, and it WAS a good game, in between lock-ups and slowdowns...

But I'm glad some people are enjoying it. I sincerely hope it sells well, just so Bethesda keeps sending RPGs our way. I just hope the next one is better play-tested.

Dre
07-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Arven
But I'm glad some people are enjoying it. I sincerely hope it sells well, just so Bethesda keeps sending RPGs our way. I just hope the next one is better play-tested.

Maybe soon, Bethesda will fully understand the Xbox and won't release games chock full of problems that they must have been blind to miss during testing. Maybe not...

xbox genius
07-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Uh oh... Kotor better not be turned based cuz that would suck, it takes too long.... also i am assuming POTC is real time combat?

wait a minute, is Kotor turned based system like Final Fantasy where you walk around then all of a sudden an enemy appears and screen changes to a battle scene?????? if so then omg!!!

Wow is POTC so buggy its hard to play it on the xbox? i mean like does it affect gameplay.

Message to Merimac: yo do u got a minimal system requirements for PC? please post it and thanks.

shrew king
07-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Well, making a thread about two games, one being out and the other unrealeased isn't too wise in this situation. You will get alot of biased replies based on hype. I say wait until KOTOR comes out and rent it. Until then, rent POTC and find out if you like it.

Personally, I love POTC. At first it didn't seem very good to me, but after the the first 10 or so minutes of gameplay after the first cutscene I can say I was hooked.

The games world seemed to be opening up to me. I started learning new things and evolving as a character. I simply love it.

My thoughts exactly.

I bought this game 2 days ago and I hated the controls at first, but it's amazing once you learn the controls and how to do random pirate things.

Arven
07-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by xbox genius
wait a minute, is Kotor turned based system like Final Fantasy where you walk around then all of a sudden an enemy appears and screen changes to a battle scene?????? if so then omg!!!

Wow is POTC so buggy its hard to play it on the xbox? i mean like does it affect gameplay.

I'm not sure I'm the best one to answer your first question, but here's my understanding of KOTOR's battle system. It is a mixture of turn-based and real-time, with most of the turn-based features happening "under the hood" (in other words, you don't notice them during gameplay, the calculations are happening so swiftly and automatically). You have the OPTION of pausing the game to issue orders (the action continues, but it slows down), OR you can just push buttons and watch the attacks unfold, real-time style. In some battles, it will be necessary, strategically, to plan/program your attacks in advance, since you're controlling a party. There is something, um, scripted (?) about the attacks, even in real-time, that I can't describe well. I'll leave that for someone else.

EHWfedPres
07-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Maybe soon, Bethesda will fully understand the Xbox and won't release games chock full of problems that they must have been blind to miss during testing. Maybe not...

I dont mind, considering most of the bugs are ways to make money real fast. :cheers:

Fanboy5000
07-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by SakapuntaS
How can you guys be so sure about KOTOR? How many times has lucasarts made a ****ty star wars game..whats different about this one?

Yo, lucasarts ain't make the game, just published it. I would assume that would be the biggest difference.