PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Heat or Thunder???

huskerman
12-12-2001, 10:11 PM
I want a nascar game, but am not sure which one, can anybody give me advice on which one to get and why???

Hugh_Jass
12-13-2001, 12:40 PM
I bought Heat because it is really configurable to be as realistic or arcade-style as you like.

The graphics are fine but don't not fully take advantage of the XBOX, IMHO.

It supports up to 32 players.

You can damage the cars and the crashes can be quite spectacular. When playing on the 120" screen it looks like I'm actually driving the circuit. My wife can't watch my play because she gets motion sickness.

From what I hear, Thunder is pretty decent, too. I don't think there is a bad choice.

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 01:13 PM
Great idea for this poll...because I'm really unsure as well. I haven't played any Nascar game yet for XBox...are they worth buying since I already have the drop dead gorgeous PGR and plan on getting Ralli-Sport Challenge and Collin McCrae when they come out?

low_ridah11
12-13-2001, 01:24 PM
I played the demo to thunder and i thought the graphics and gameplay were awesome. Iam a huge nascar fan and i would also like to know which one is better. I like the idea of the full field of cars in thunder.

leecow
12-13-2001, 04:25 PM
I went for Heat after playing Thunder at Toys R Us then renting Heat for an evening. When it comes to racing games and NASCAR games in particular a requirement is the "so realistic it hurts" mode. Also, Heat supports SystemLink (network play) and Thunder (I think) does not.

Lee

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 04:32 PM
Are either of these Nascar games worth buying from someone like myself since I already have the brilliant PGR and am planning on buying Rallisport Challenge and Collin McCrae?

Bundy
12-14-2001, 10:52 AM
The reviews i read, i believe at gamespot but i may be wrong, picked thunder. They said that heat had super slow downs with frame rates when a lot of cars where in your rear view mirror. And if you plan on winning this is a big discration.

peyote
12-14-2001, 01:53 PM
I rented Heat and without a wheel I think this game wears you out fast. The steering is very precise and to avoid fatigue, you need a wheel.

I also read Thunder having better marks. It has all tracks and drivers, Heat's missing too many drivers. The graphics are supposed to be better on Thunder as well but I think both are direct porting jobs. Thunder missing system link could be a big deal.

I'm waiting for Thrustmaster to make a Force-Feedback Wheel for X-Box. Until then, I'm gonna' avoid nascar games. They should have an online version next summer too (hopes).

The best thing to do is rent both and try them out and see if you like the steering, gameplay, etc.

l Maximus l
12-14-2001, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by peyote
I rented Heat and without a wheel I think this game wears you out fast. The steering is very precise and to avoid fatigue, you need a wheel.

I also read Thunder having better marks. It has all tracks and drivers, Heat's missing too many drivers. The graphics are supposed to be better on Thunder as well but I think both are direct porting jobs. Thunder missing system link could be a big deal.

I'm waiting for Thrustmaster to make a Force-Feedback Wheel for X-Box. Until then, I'm gonna' avoid nascar games. They should have an online version next summer too (hopes).

The best thing to do is rent both and try them out and see if you like the steering, gameplay, etc.

Yeah, good idea...I think I will rent them. I really love PGR...And I am seriously looking forward to Rallisport Challenge and Collin McCrae! ...I understand that each car consists of over 13,000 polygons each!

Hugh_Jass
12-14-2001, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Bundy
The reviews i read, i believe at gamespot but i may be wrong, picked thunder. They said that heat had super slow downs with frame rates when a lot of cars where in your rear view mirror. And if you plan on winning this is a big discration.

I've never noticed a drop in framerate while playing HEAT.

Bundy
12-14-2001, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I've never noticed a drop in framerate while playing HEAT.

do you utilitze the rear view mirror?

leecow
12-14-2001, 04:09 PM
No drop in framerate here either.

Heat and Thunder are a totally different driving / game experience than PGR or the upcoming rally titles. If you take a Cup car into a corner sideways your day's gonna be real short ;) Oval track racing is not the place to go if you're primary racing enjoyment comes from throwing the car around a course - that just doesn't work in this style of racing.

If I remember the Gamespot review correctly, the reviewer gave Thunder the nod based primarily on graphics quality, more forgiving driving model (think he may have liked the draft meter as well ... gads) and the career mode. The framerate issue was also mentioned but as I (and Hugh) have experienced, it hasn't occurred.

Graphics in Heat are excellent, the driving model in hardcore mode won't cut you any slack and I don't care about career mode (or "Beat the Heat" mode in Heat for that matter) - I buy NASCAR games to drive, not worry about sponsorship dollars and if I want to test myself against race scenarios then I'll run a race.

As far as field size goes, both games are basically the same. 43 in single player, 20 or so in 2 player. Don't know what happens beyond that since I have only 2 controllers.

So there it is, if you like to go fast and turn left (gently) then a NASCAR game will definitely do you happy. Due to the extremely tense nature of the event and ultra-fine steering adjustments your hands will take a beating if not using a wheel. Heat gives you more "realism" in the driving experience, Thunder lets you pursue a "career". I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

I may pick up Thunder just for the "Sweet Home Alabama" intro but continue playing Heat :)

leecow
12-14-2001, 04:11 PM
... and yes, I always have the rearview mirror on.

Bundy
12-14-2001, 04:14 PM
Like i said in my first post, i was just reporting what i had seen in reviews.

I Have the links to those reviews now.

NASCAR Heat (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2825354,00.html)

NASCAR Thunder (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2825363,00.html)

leecow
12-14-2001, 04:17 PM
No worries - just replying with first-hand experience for everyone's edification.

I know I hate seeing conflicting review/user comments almost as much as I hate dropping $$ on a game that turns out to be stinky.

smack119
12-15-2001, 12:36 AM
i really like thunder

GamerSince'76
12-15-2001, 01:06 AM
As I mentioned in another post I usually don't like to buy a ported game but today I took a chance and bought Nascar Thunder and I haven't been able to put it down.

I would score it at least a 9/10. The graphics I found were top notch. I didn't see much of a difference, if any, between Thunder and Project Gotham Racing. I may take a beating over that comment. The pit crew looks cool too.

I created my own car and have been racing against 42 other drivers. There are more tracks than I can count and all are different. You can play with no damage effects, limited or full. When your car is damaged you press the L trigger and the car "morphs" back to normal.

Just for fun I re-entered the track sideways and another car flipped me over. There are flames, smoke and flying car parts to add to the realism. When you wipe out on grass even the grass kicks up all over the place. "Sweet Home Alabama" adds a nice touch to the game. I think the cars look as good as they can get.

I don't think you can play this game online but you can play against a friend or friends. Also the A.I. is flawless, so it's been fun just to play against the A.I. itself.

smack119
12-15-2001, 01:07 AM
i think you got your answer