PDA

View Full Version : IGN Review: KOTOR

Xbox Owner
07-14-2003, 08:31 PM
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/428/428645p4.html

Closing Comments

Knights of the Old Republic is an outstanding game because it covers every single angle in terms of audience expectations. It's got enough Star Wars to satisfy the fans and enough pure fun to draw in people who normally wouldn't get into role-playing games. You'll see this on several Game of the Year nomination lists if not at the very top soon enough.

Put this up there with Halo, Splinter Cell and any other Xbox game that kept you up way too late or caused you to neglect your loved ones. It grabs you early on by giving your character some cool toys to play with and some familiar Star Wars critters to welcome you back and next thing you know you've got a space ship, a light saber, a wookie and a droid. With Knights of the Old Republic, the galaxy is yours, get out there and get some.

-- Aaron Boulding

Final Score: 9.5

Lookin' good. :D

Shadow20002
07-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Sure, it's get 9.5....just because Bioware is behind this one. ;)

AlBoogy
07-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Very good review indeed. Although no one here wants to admit it, everyone is hanging on to what Gamespot gives it.

Papke
07-14-2003, 09:13 PM
I agree AlBoogy. I know I am...:mad:

Stupid Gamespot.

Xbox Owner
07-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Very good review indeed. Although no one here wants to admit it, everyone is hanging on to what Gamespot gives it.

Yep, but the review of that game said he really really likes it so far.

Papke
07-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Is that review enough to make you buy a game without playing it first?

I'm seriously considering going out and getting it asap.

AlBoogy
07-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Papke
Is that review enough to make you buy a game without playing it first?

I'm seriously considering going out and getting it asap.

I dont think IGN'S review will make many people buy a game. Many feel they have overrated way to many games. Although, I usually agree with their stuff some slip through like WWF Raw and Wreckless. I liked those 2 but I dont think they deserved anything near a 9.
Gamespot reviews games roughly. So you know if a game gets a 9.0 or higher then it must be amazing. I think their will be a lot of dissapointed people if they dont give it a 9.0 or above.

Papke
07-14-2003, 09:36 PM
I agree completely with you about gamespot, I've always felt the same way.

Usually, it just feels like they hate xbox. They gave some of my favorite games 6's and 7's. Most of the time tho, you can look at reader reviews and it will be at least 1 whole point better than the GS review. I'd rather hear what gamers have to say than those payed to write about games.

Dyslexic Chaos
07-14-2003, 09:46 PM
I agree completely with you about gamespot, I've always felt the same way.

Usually, it just feels like they hate xbox. They gave some of my favorite games 6's and 7's. Most of the time tho, you can look at reader reviews and it will be at least 1 whole point better than the GS review. I'd rather hear what gamers have to say than those payed to write about games.

True, but alot of those are screwed up by people who write reviews like
"I hate Xbox and I hate Star Wars, so I bet this game sucks. 0/10"

"Or OMG, I LOVE THIS GAME, IT ROXORS!!!! BETTER THAN HALO!!!! I GIVE PULSE RACER A BIG 10/10!!!!!!"

Papke
07-14-2003, 09:50 PM
lol yeah, but overall.....

AlBoogy
07-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerred B

True, but alot of those are screwed up by people who write reviews like
"I hate Xbox and I hate Star Wars, so I bet this game sucks. 0/10"

"Or OMG, I LOVE THIS GAME, IT ROXORS!!!! BETTER THAN HALO!!!! I GIVE PULSE RACER A BIG 10/10!!!!!!"

Yeah, fanboys can make those scores extremely exaggerated.

WynnFire
07-14-2003, 10:35 PM
I could care less about what Gamespot says about it. I have been looking at this for a long time and saw the 21 minute video that's on the net somewhere and think it's going to rock. Of course, I will rent it first. :cool:

l Maximus l
07-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Perhaps this game could break the trend of lame ass Star Wars games. Never have I played one I liked...so, we'll see. I say screw IGN and Gamespot...I'll know for myself.

Shizzle my nizzle.

Papke
07-14-2003, 11:46 PM
Many a lame ass star wars game has been released, but I really like Shadows of the Empire for n64. That's a really good game, not just a really good star wars game.

CharlieHustle
07-15-2003, 12:21 AM
I dont know about yall, but i am gettin this game regardless of whateva site rate this, i will judge this for myself. I have been waitin for a good rpg since morrowind and i believe this is the one. So i know yall isnt goin to sit on the fence and wait for someone else to tell you to get this game. And hell, im not even a star wars fan i personally think starwars are for nerds.

gula
07-15-2003, 12:47 AM
From what I was told...

Gamespot gave it an 8.9

Xbox Owner
07-15-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by gula
From what I was told...

Gamespot gave it an 8.9

The review won't be up til' Wedsnday (that's what the review said at least) So I don't think he reviewed it yet..

gula
07-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner

The review won't be up til' Wedsnday (that's what the review said at least) So I don't think he reviewed it yet..

Ehh, sorry for my post. I just found out it was an asumption. Sorry :/.

But it should be interesting what gamespot is going to give them.

MerimacHamwich
07-15-2003, 01:41 AM
Wow, Gamespot really knows how to get hits. Be really biased and then poeple will go to your site just to see how biased you are.

Interesting concept.

Anthony4sho
07-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Many a lame ass star wars game has been released, but I really like Shadows of the Empire for n64. That's a really good game, not just a really good star wars game.

Dam i 4got about that game. It wuz pretty good.

yall
07-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by CharlieHustle
I dont know about yall, but i am gettin this game regardless of whateva site rate this, i will judge this for myself. I have been waitin for a good rpg since morrowind and i believe this is the one. So i know yall isnt goin to sit on the fence and wait for someone else to tell you to get this game. And hell, im not even a star wars fan i personally think starwars are for nerds.

I can tell you that 'yall' will be getting this the second it comes out.:D

Xbox Owner
07-15-2003, 04:57 PM
GS review will be up tonight..well, tomorrow. They said it'll be up at 12 AM Pacific time..which means 3 AM for me, lol.

This is what he had to say (Greg K., the reviewer)

Our full review and video review of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are in production now and will be up on GameSpot later tonight (for various reasons, precisely around midnight Pacific time). The full review details pretty much everything that's great about the game, as well as the few things that aren't so great, so stay tuned. Really impressive game overall, so those who went and preordered won't be disappointed.

cheetahmanhood
07-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Another game to buy this weekend.:D
Gamespot better give this game a 9.0, because if Ign says it will be a master piece, then I totally agree. The problem is that after this game I will have spent all my money. :cry:

Papke
07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
I really want the game, but it doesn't matter because Don Juan over at my Funcoland just sweet talked me into reserving it. Oh well, I can't wait.:D

AlBoogy
07-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Cool. I will be playing NCAA and then some RTCW so 3 AM should be a breeze.

Papke
07-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Hey Al, maybe I'll drop you an invite and play some RTCW with you.:D

AlBoogy
07-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Send me a friend invite and I will accept for sure. I usually run 12 man servers well. Sometimes people get lag but thats when I dont put optimal settings. See you tonight! Any other XBA want to join up?

Papke
07-15-2003, 08:20 PM
I'll definitely send you one, but I'm not sure if I can get my copy of RTCW back tonight. I'll see what I can do.......

Ok, I sent you an invite. That's an L in your name right?

AlBoogy
07-15-2003, 09:10 PM
THIS JUST IN GAMESPOT HAS REVIEWED KOTOR. And it received a score of........ ???? (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/index.html)

terraflux16
07-15-2003, 09:18 PM
9.1 (superb) Editors Choice

You don't need to be a fan of Star Wars or of RPGs to appreciate all the impressive qualities of this game--but if you are, all the better. - Greg Kasavin