PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Monster Cables for composite input tv's!?

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 10:40 AM
I want to purchase them i've been to their website...but it wont search correctly to find out what stores carry the cables in town. Does best buy or any of the other stores carry them?

kirkyg

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 11:23 AM
Great question...and I can tell you that I have not seen the cables at any retailers yet. But, you probably can contact the manufacturer...here's a few pictures of some of the cables that I have researched...this might come in handy :)

These are the Monster 300s...should do well...they also have Monster 400s out but I understand that they are really intended for Plasma TVs

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/monster_xbox_svideo_big.jpg

Hugh_Jass
12-13-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kirkyg
I want to purchase them i've been to their website...but it wont search correctly to find out what stores carry the cables in town. Does best buy or any of the other stores carry them?

kirkyg

I'm pretty sure there is a store locater on their website.

RudedogX
12-13-2001, 01:12 PM
You can get them at Best Buy when they're in stock, I got the 200s, and they definetly upped the quality on the graphics! Well worth it!

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 01:14 PM
That's great to hear, RudeDog...by the way, welcome to the forums :) I only have the Advanced A/V Pack and I definately notice a major difference compared to the stock RCAs. The colors are richer and smoother...man, I love this XBox!

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 01:22 PM
i would be purchasing the 400's...it has the 5 cables (3 video, 2 audio)...wouldn't that be best for my sony wega? I do have the composite input setup and svideo also.

kirkyg

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 01:25 PM
i would be purchasing the 400's...it has the 5 cables (3 video, 2 audio)...wouldn't that be best for my sony wega? I do have the composite input setup and svideo also.

kirkyg

How large is your Wega?

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 01:33 PM
its a 27'' sony wega i can get the model # for you later if you need it...

kirkyg

RudedogX
12-13-2001, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I should have probably bought the 400s, but at the time I didn't realize that! I've got a 27" flat screen samsung, but the good thing about the 200s is that you can still add on those two extra cables for sound if you need too.

Oh and thanks for the welcome Maximus!

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 01:38 PM
its a 27'' sony wega i can get the model # for you later if you need it...

kirkyg

I was just curious becauser Hugh made a really good point about TV size...sometimes you might not see a huge difference in video quality if the TV is 27 inches or smaller. You will most likely get a crisper audio, however.

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 02:06 PM
electronically why is this?

btw, i looked places to just order them online along with the powerstation 600 surge protector that i might get for my tv and consoles...i cannot find ANYWHERE that has the 400 gamelink xbox cable in. Amazon has them listed but when you go to click to add cart it says add to wish list...and says they'll email you when they get them??????

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 02:22 PM
amazon had the 300 X in stock a few days ago...they just sell so fast demand cant meet supply

RudedogX
12-13-2001, 02:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is (in quality) between the S-Video and Monster Cables, which one is supposed to be better?

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 02:43 PM
well in actuality, if yout Tv isint that great then the difference prolly wont be a whole lot. Monster Cables are made for all types of inputs, and every one of those types will give you a better looking overall picture. Now the higer you go on the cable scale, you will get the best looking picture quality. However, you get what you pay for so monster cables are more expensive than the MS "packs".

l Maximus l
12-13-2001, 03:12 PM
Either way you look at it, higher end cables are vital for supreme gaming experiences...and definately worth every penny. The Advanced A/V S-video pack will suit me just fine until I get my HDTV...at that time I will pick up some Monster 300s or 400s...400s if I decide to go Plasma :D

Hugh_Jass
12-13-2001, 03:43 PM
I agree with Maximus. If you've got a receiver that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 the Advanced AV Pack is well worth the $20 regardless of what kind of TV you own.

I would use S-Video with your WEGA. It's a nice TV and you might as well get the most out of it and your XBOX. However, if you're tight on cash the standard composite video cable will suffice.

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 04:03 PM
the composite ones are the good ones...they are the hdtv cables. I have the HDTV pack from microsoft with the 5 cables plugged to my tv it made no diffference and the sound seems to be worse??

i dunno it just didn't do anything so i want the monster cables now. So thats why im asking. Composite cables are better than s-video and the regular a/v connectors.

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 04:30 PM
the type of video connection doesnt effect the sound, you should be getting the same sound from every connection unless you use optical sound. The 5 cables are 3 for Video, and the standard right and left sound so it isint going to sound any better...however it should sound worse...the only way to upgrade sound it to go optical... we talked about this at this thread...
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=34800#post34800

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 04:52 PM
i know it shouldn't but it does seem to be a little worse. Maybe my imagination but im SURE neither sound nor video is better.

just found out my mom chunked the box for the cable so i now i can't take it back and get my 19.99 back plus i ordered 60 dollar cables...crap!

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 05:04 PM
sell it on half.com...at last check no one had any for sale and you should be pretty clost to getting all of your money back

kirkyg
12-13-2001, 05:26 PM
yea and pay 6 bucks to ship it LOL.

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-13-2001, 05:34 PM
Not quite, I sell things on ebay and half.com all the time...let me do a quick calculation for you using my digital scale....the advanced av pack weighs 10.9 ounces and a bubble mailer only weighs 0.6 ounces...so you would pay for 12 ounces, for 1st class thats $2.87...you can upgrade to priority mail for $3.50 and get delivery confirmation for 40 cents extra...now you wouldnt be paying for shipping anyway, you just put a price up, and a shipping price up for both first class and priority so the customer gets to pick and wait for someone to buy...I bet if you could sell it for $18 total (more for priority) because people would get it shipped straight to them and not have to pay tax...now you might be able to get more if the person cant find it in a store anymore, i dont know if they are still in short supply...it still saves you money...Also to note I was thinking about selling the AV cables that came with my XBox just so it can help me for a new game a little and I have no use whatsoever for them...I figure i can get $8-10 for them

Rochey69r
12-15-2001, 03:27 AM
i have a panasonic 68cm tv

will i notice much of a diff if i get the ad AV pack??

smack119
12-15-2001, 03:38 AM
what does that equal in inches?

LynxFX
12-15-2001, 03:58 AM
I still say Monster cables in general are a waste of money. Even if you do have a high quality set. There are better ways to spend your money. Only in America can a company sell a cable for $60 when it is only worth $30 at most. :rolleyes:

Rochey69r
12-15-2001, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by smack119
what does that equal in inches?

it equals 27 inches

LynxFX
12-15-2001, 04:25 AM
Rochey,

Does your tv have s-video, composit or component inputs?

Rochey69r
12-15-2001, 04:31 AM
yer jas it does

LynxFX
12-15-2001, 04:41 AM
Umm what?

You have all three you mean?

If you have component then get the HD kit. If you have S-video get the advanced kit. You will see a difference over the standard composit setup that came with the xbox. How big of a difference will depend on the tv. Plus you get the option of having Dolby 5.1 sound with either of the a/v kits. It's only $20, not much of an investment moneywise. Of course if you are worried about your parents hearing just the xbox itself then you probably won't need the Dolby 5.1 sound. :)

smack119
12-15-2001, 05:35 AM
i too feel that $60 arent worth it.....you could have a gmae and some cash left with that

Rochey69r
12-15-2001, 05:44 AM
so the advanced av pack all the way fellas?? (i have s-video input)

p.s. thanks for the coment bout the parents jas!!

smack119
12-15-2001, 05:46 AM
yes if you have s-video just go with the av

Frostberg
12-15-2001, 09:48 AM
Ok get the HD TV pack if you wish...but thats more of a waste of money than monster cables. If they were some sort of scam then I dont think the company would be in business, or carry over the line to the XBox...a lot of PS2ers and Xboxers swear by them. If you think you can get an extra game...Would you rather have the best quality picture you can get for every game you own or rent, or just have 1 more game?

kirkyg
12-15-2001, 12:18 PM
If you live in the US which i doubt you do...i'll mail you mine for 20 bucks...the hdtv pack didn't do a thing for the picture quality on my 27'' sony wega. Thats why im gettin the monster cables.

kirkyg

LynxFX
12-15-2001, 03:36 PM
If the HD kit didn't do a thing for you then the monster cables won't either. If you think they are actually improving something you are living in a lie to justify your purchase. Especially on a 27" tv.

Frostberg,

How is $20 on an HD kit which gives you Dolby Digital sound and component cables a waste of money? Paying $65 for the same thing is what you call a waste of money. Yes Monster cables have more shielding but not enough to justify the hike in price. Especially for these people that are using them on run of the mill tv's that probably aren't even calibrated.

Like I've said before, Monster cables are like Bose. They get by on their name and marketing to the average joe six pack. They are over priced and because of that people assume they are good. If you look at bose you will realize that they are one of the worst speakers in the industry. Now I'm not saying Monster Cables are bad themselves. They are well made but not for the price they charge and the purpose that most of these people will be using them on. They just aren't worth it.

Frostberg
12-15-2001, 03:44 PM
Ok for a 27" Wega there might not be a huge increase in quality, but it will be there. If you have an average TV, then of course it isint going to do anything! Component cables arent for average TVs! And "shielding" isint the only advantage of monster cables. You might want to read this...

GameLink™ 400 X Delivers the Most Realistic 3D Game Graphics and DVD Picture Possible-
To maximize video strength and maintain precise 75-ohm impedance, nitrogen gas is injected into the dielectric insulator, creating uniform, microscopic cells. This allows the conductor to rest in the exact center of the cable, even when the cable is bent. As a result, you'll see DVD movie picture quality and game graphics that are incredibly detailed, crisper and sharper.

Monster's Advanced Audio Technology Outperforms Ordinary Component Video and Audio Cables-
GameLink has patented cable technologies that allow you to maximize the full sonic performance of your XBOX. DoubleHelix™ construction and Bandwidth Balanced™ multiple gauge wire networks combine to reject interference and deliver accurate reproduction of dialogue, sound effects, and music. GameLink is also equipped with a digital audio output jack, it's easy to upgrade to Dolby Digital Surround Sound. LighWave™ 100X(sold separately), Monster's highest performance fiber optic audio hookup, completes the upgrade to a pure digital audio connection.

Maximize Your Gaming and Movie Investment-
You've already invested in the most killer video game system around. Why not play with the best picture and sound possible? With Monster GameLink, you'll get all the power and performance your XBOX was designed to deliver.

A $20 HD TV kit is a waste of money if you get monster cables! They are worth the money. If you dont have a good TV then you wont see anything different. I hope you are joking about Bose speakers!

LynxFX
12-15-2001, 03:53 PM
Ok so you quote me an advert from Monster themselves?

Just so you know the HD pack also maintains a 75 ohm impendance. This is a standard except for those cheap $2 type cables you might find at K-mart. Everything else that is listed is just jibber jabber. Means absolutely nothing. It is marketing.

No I wasn't kidding about Bose. Ever hear the phrase "No highs, no lows get Bose"? There is a reason why they don't list specs for their speakers. Ask any Bose sales rep what the RMS for those little cubies are and what frequencies they cut off at. They will go circles around the question giving you a rehearsed speech. It is quite funny.

Bose isn't all bad though. They do make some nice larger speakers(not by much) but stay far far far away from those small cubes or basically any of them that you can get at a Best Buy or Circuit City etc.