PDA

View Full Version : Damn Xbox...

Cybiker
07-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Stupid thing keeps freezing up and giving me dirty disk errors... Has been since i got it..but nowhere near as bad till now...I just recieved a copy of outlaw golf that i won in a contest from this site (THANKS XBA!) and i pop it in...first thing that happens..starts to load..and freezes...does it another time..then i get it..get to character selection..freezes....does that here and there...and when playing i get dirty disk errors... I have gotten these in just about every game i've played...it sucks so bad...i called up Xbox Support and im out of warranty...and they want me to pay $100 bucks to fix the damn thing...when they freaking screwed it up in the first place...****es me off...anyone have any ideas before i throw this thing out of the window?

Highlite23
07-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Discwasher Lens Cleaner...Had kinda the same problem with my Original XBOX, started all of a sudden. Ran the discwasher (Recomended by XBOX Tech support "Off the Record") and the problem went bye-bye.

The important thing is that the washer be a dual-brush disc...one dry brush, one wet.

Good Luck.

By the way...If your XBOX has never been in for service, you can still purchase an extended warranty plan. Did it on my second refurbished system;)

Cybiker
07-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA
Discwasher Lens Cleaner...Had kinda the same problem with my Original XBOX, started all of a sudden. Ran the discwasher (Recomended by XBOX Tech support "Off the Record") and the problem went bye-bye.

The important thing is that the washer be a dual-brush disc...one dry brush, one wet.

Good Luck.

By the way...If your XBOX has never been in for service, you can still purchase an extended warranty plan. Did it on my second refurbished system;)

Where did you buy yours? I check Amazon, COMPUSA.com, Staples.com, Buy.com, Tiger Direct, Pricewatch...cant find any at the big name stores (Dont like buying from little online stores)

GokuX
07-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Do you suppose it is possible to purchase another 2 year warranty once the original one expires?

Ford Mustang
07-17-2003, 12:54 AM
Definitely go with the Discwasher. I've seen alot of people on this site with the same problem that fixed it with a lens cleaner.

It's odd. I have a Launch Xbox and I have never gotten a dirty disk error...heh...Guess I'm lucky in that respect :D

Chaotic
07-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Ford_Mustang
Definitely go with the Discwasher. I've seen alot of people on this site with the same problem that fixed it with a lens cleaner.

It's odd. I have a Launch Xbox and I have never gotten a dirty disk error...heh...Guess I'm lucky in that respect :D

I'm with you on this one :D I got mine the day it came out and have yet to see the DDE message.:)

Highlite23
07-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Where did you buy yours? I check Amazon, COMPUSA.com, Staples.com, Buy.com, Tiger Direct, Pricewatch...cant find any at the big name stores (Dont like buying from little online stores)

Suncoast Video is where i got mine.

Do you suppose it is possible to purchase another 2 year warranty once the original one expires?

According to the CS person i spoke to at MS, as long as your Serial Number has never been in for service you can purchase a plan even after your original runs out.

bretman1234
07-17-2003, 02:46 PM
I only get the DDE when im playing system link halo. Thats about it. But there is a way to get by that so its no big deal.

Shadow20002
07-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey, i don't know but i htink this problem is randomly create with the box. I was playing a game for at least straight 3 hours and have no problem, even not all any DDE. But one day, just pop it in the box and it freeze like hell, like 3 times per quarter of hour... :watchout:

No Fear 23
07-17-2003, 05:10 PM
ppl who smokes around their xboxs are more likely to get DDE and fuk up thier xboxs. the smoke creates huge dust-like particles and it can settle on or in your xbox. i had a friend whos parents are smokers. his 1st xbox, he started get dde, his second one, same thing. last time i checked at his place, his xbox was covered in smoke dust. yuck.

Cybiker
07-17-2003, 05:30 PM
my parents smoke...but usually not in the house...and the xbox is in my room and they never smoke in my room..could be from dust...but...i dunno.thinking bout opening it up and cleaning it out...

trabucles
07-17-2003, 05:34 PM
The xbox is at my room, and iI just clean it 4 times in all the year, its fulled with a lot of dust, clothes on the floor, etc... and I 'D never got problems with my xbox, maybe you dont know how to use it correctly.

Peepers
07-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Dude, my brother and I are on our 3rd Xbox.

The ethernet broke on our first Xbox (other than that it's fine so now it's just a DVD player)

Our second Xbox went down the crapper. It won't even turn on anymore.

We're now on our third and it's been fine.

With this kind of problems for me I can't blame Microsoft. I blame myself. I must have done something wrong for fate to hate me so much.

Diddy
07-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Im getting the freezing thing with SOF2 on Live. Ill be hosting a game and then im getting close to a guy about to fire and it freezes and hear this pretty loud kinda buzzing noise. Its done it only about 4 or 5 times since i got the used Xbox, but it only happens when im playing Live and SOF2.

And I also get it when i check my friends list, i go to friends and select a friend for options but it freezes, then i give it about 5 or 6 minutes and its back to normal.

Also, ive had probs with Live recently, more like last night, i was playing(SOF2) and i got the conn interupted sign and i got booted back to the main menu when u sign into Live. And i check friends and noone is online but i can still get games with optimatch, but cannot join. Then i sign out, it brings me to the troubleshooter and it says it cant "Find" Xbox Live or cant sign into it.

nowistoday
07-17-2003, 11:34 PM
that sucks man sorry

Dionny3
07-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Your Probably From Sony Trying To Bad Mouth The Xbox. :cuss:

Cybiker
07-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Me....from sony...badmouthing Xbox...haha thats a good one.... yeah thats why i have almost 500 posts here... been here for a year and a half..and hmm...who has 3 posts...thought soooo.....so donnnnnt accuse me of badmouthing the Xbox..cuz im not...im simply trying to get help on a problem...jesus christ..these n00bs...

P.S. - As far as a i knew... It was spelt "Liar"
P.S.S - If you read everyone else's posts...you'll see many people have this problem...and it's not just me...infact most launch Xbox's (Which I have) Are defective like this...so get ur facts straight...

kword
07-18-2003, 11:06 AM
I had a similiar prob with my xbox(dde and locking up on dvd's) Mine was also out of warranty(but less than 5 months old) I called and was told it would be $99 to fix. I had read if you make a complaint to BBB than they would help. So I went to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) site and filed a complaint. I got a call 2 days later from Xbox support saying they would fix it for free!!! They sent a box and shipping labels to me, I shipped it to Memphis and 3 days later It came back all fixed. I noticed my new box had a newer firmware version and seemed to run much cooler than its replacement. Hope this helps

Cybiker
07-18-2003, 11:09 AM
How can I contact the BBB? Do they have a website?

RudedogX
07-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Cybiker
How can I contact the BBB? Do they have a website?
You should be able to find them on the web, just do a search on google. If you can't, you might check 411.

kword
07-18-2003, 11:13 AM
www.bbb.com . click on file a complaint. youre on your way.

kword
07-18-2003, 11:24 AM
It sucked that I had to file a complaint in order to get a known prob fixed, but it worked for me and others. M$ did step up and fix it, just took a little nudge.

P.S. They said it would take up to 15 working days to get it back , but only took them 3 working days.

Later,

Good Luck

Cybiker
07-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks man...I filed the complaint.... How long did it take the BBB to contact Microsoft/You?

kword
07-18-2003, 11:46 AM
2 working days:( so probably early next week.

ShannonX
07-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA

Good Luck.

where do you find that highlite? i think i need to run a disc cleaner as well, starting to get some freeze ups and disc errors.

Shadow20002
07-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Are there any officila Xbox cleaner set ?? :huh:

Highlite23
07-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA

where do you find that highlite? i think i need to run a disc cleaner as well, starting to get some freeze ups and disc errors.

Picked mine up at Suncoast Video Shannon.;)

afon
07-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, if you dont want to spend 100 dollars there are plenty of things you can do!

1) Do the wallmart switcheroo
2)buy a dvd drive off the internet
3)open up your DVD drive and tweak the laser

:cool: Screw MS 1800 number, they get to paid to read out of a manual.

These all have a 90% success rate.
tried the wallmart one mehself ;)