PDA

View Full Version : vICE cITY fINALLY cOMING tO xBOX i hAVE pROOF

Dionny3
07-17-2003, 12:12 PM
In Take-Two Interactive's conference call with analysts early this week the company said that its exclusivity contract with Sony Computer Entertainment America has been amended and, additionally, executives strongly hinted that a version of Grand Theft Auto may come to Xbox.
During the Q&A section of the conference call, Take-Two's Jeffrey Lapin stated that an unannounced SKU would appear on Xbox in the fourth quarter of the company's fiscal year (which, for Rockstar, is November to January). Lapin didn't confirm it was Grand Theft Auto, but he implied, according to a source who listened in on the call, that it was a Grand Theft Auto title. If rumor proves true, then a previously published version of the game, i.e. Grand Theft Auto III or Grand Theft Auto Vice City, is in the works for Xbox.

According to the conference transcript, the relevant question asked in the call was: "Is GTA for Xbox coming, and when it is coming?" Lapin's answer was: "We said that there will be an Xbox SKU from Rockstar in the first quarter of the fiscal year 2004 [Nov. to Jan.], but we're not going to comment on what it is at this point."

It is assumed by analysts that the Xbox title Lapin refers to isn't a version of Mafia or Max Payne 2, two potential games that have already been announced or hinted at.

SCEA's contract with Rockstar originally stated that all Grand Theft Auto titles would be exclusive to PlayStation 2 (with the exception of the PC) from 2001 to year's end 2004. Apparently, SCEA and Rockstar have re-negotiated the contract to permit the game to appear on other consoles. Rockstar is currently working on the next Grand Theft Auto title, due for year's end in 2004, which will, as we understand it, complete the original exclusivity contract with SCEA. (Unless that too has been renegotiated.)

A second question was asked: "Will the Sony deal allow you to ship a non-PS2 GTA product even if it's not the most current?" The answer was: "We're not going to comment on terms of the at deal although by the next conference call we'll be able to give some more color."

Take-Two is most likely to announce the full, confirmed news in its next analyst call this August. And you know we'll have more on that when it comes

Dionny3
07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Sources report that Rockstar's mega-money maker Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will be coming to the Xbox, possibly as soon as this holiday season.
As many insiders know, the Grand Theft Auto series is supposed to be PlayStation 2 console exclusive, however sources reveal that Rockstar is circumventing the agreement by stripping the Xbox version of the title Grand Theft Auto, and simply repackaging the game as Vice City.

Back in May, Take Two's CEO Jeffrey Lapin spoke about a major Rockstar title in development for the Xbox during the company's quarterly conference call with analysts. "We said that there will be an Xbox SKU from Rockstar in the first quarter of the fiscal year 2004 [Nov. to Jan.]," Lapin said, "but we're not going to comment on what it is at this point." It now looks like Vice City is that game.

Vice City's gameplay will be identical to the PC version that recently shipped, and might also include additional features like custom soundtracks and downloadable content and it about damn time i say
:cheers:

Reclaimer
07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
This news is also in this month's XBN, OXM (I think I saw it there too) and Game Informer.

So now we get this old ass game that is Sony's hand me down. It's completely over rated, the graphics are ****-poor, and it get's old real fast. Yes, I played it, and once the novelty wears off that you can run around and kill stuff and drive cars and things, you figure out that the game is pretty bland. "Oh look at me, I'm killing civillians."
Oh well.

Supperdog
08-03-2003, 10:07 AM
wHy DiD yOu HaVe To MaKe ThE tItLe LiKe ThIs?

Duke
08-03-2003, 01:50 PM
I would have loved the GTA series on xbox oh, two years ago.

I really feel that they were ground-breaking games, and if they make a NEW one for Xbox I really feel it would be worth checking out, but I've played the others, I'm over them, and will not be spending my $50 on old games.

-edit- and not to be a nazi, but I agree w/ supperdog. what is the point of TypINg ThIngS likE tHaT.

No Fear 23
08-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
I would have loved the GTA series on xbox oh, two years ago.

I really feel that they were ground-breaking games, and if they make a NEW one for Xbox I really feel it would be worth checking out, but I've played the others, I'm over them, and will not be spending my $50 on old games.

-edit- and not to be a nazi, but I agree w/ supperdog. what is the point of TypINg ThIngS likE tHaT.

ditto

ARONO129
08-03-2003, 07:53 PM
IMO scoring GTA Vice City is a huge victory for Xbox. It's a classic and thankfully no longer exclusive.