PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR is not for everyone !



Megaherz *RAGE*
07-17-2003, 03:50 PM
I though i was one of those people that gamespot was talking about, someone who don't really like rpg and i am not a star wars fan, but i decide to buy the game instead of waiting for blockbuster to got it in a week or 2 ( understand me a game with 9,5 from ign, 9,0 from gamepsot and a ton of godd review have send me a bit of tasty gaming juice. So when i brought it at home ,i finally try it and oh my god this game suck some serious ball !

What is going on ?

The framerate is non consistant ( always droping )
Texture and architecture are ***
The character face are all ugly
The combat system is a real joke ( i though i was slashing someone but the computer actually do it by itself )

Nothing so exciting, i am going to sell it soon !

Anyone interested ? ( 50 $ Canadian, you are saving 25 dollar )

Seriously, x-box is a great console but damn where the great game ? Dam* hype !

DZNUTZ
07-17-2003, 03:52 PM
u open for a trade...for other new xbox games?

Papke
07-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Disgusting, hideous, putrid.

Shadow20002
07-17-2003, 04:41 PM
It is that bad huh ?? :huh:

AlBoogy
07-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Do I hear troll?

wweomaniac
07-17-2003, 07:16 PM
$45 Canadian shipped?

PM me if interested.

studepaber
07-17-2003, 07:19 PM
ha, I needed a good laugh, thanks Megaherz!

In the future before making blatently bashing a game try playing it for more than 30 minutes.

MerimacHamwich
07-17-2003, 07:42 PM
He played the game, heck he bought the game wanting a good game. Then it turned out he didn't like it, so what. No need to bash him, he even stated the reasons why he didn't like it, which seem valid enough to me.

Frankly I am glad I came across someone who doesn't like the game, honestly. People are making it out to be godlike, like they did with Brute Force. After playing Brute Force I can honestly say I think it is only a mediocre game. No worse, no better.

FuNkY mOnK
07-17-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm playing Kotor and so far i like it, what everyone has to understand, is that RPGS are slow moving vehicles. these games are based entirely on character building in order to progress, without this you go nowhere fast. If you played rpgs in the past, i'm sure this will be one the finer games out there. i cant wait to see the worlds and save them while i'm at it. :D

wweomaniac
07-17-2003, 08:05 PM
its true... no fighitng? whats up with that? i think fighting with lightabres could be a cool thing to do. We're not playing pokemon here....

framerate drops always **** me off and is a good enough reason for me to not like a game.

for me graphics isn't too much of an issue as long as its not TOTALLY crappy.

FuNkY mOnK
07-17-2003, 08:08 PM
If you want figthing play wolfenstein online, if you want character building you play RPGS...Get it.

wweomaniac
07-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
If you want figthing play wolfenstein online, if you want character building you play RPGS...Get it. but I'm talking about.... every once in a while a little fight wouldn't kill. I can somewhat see your POI funky, but the lightsabre is big in star wars, and a little implementation wouldn't be too much. It's pretty simple too...

MerimacHamwich
07-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
but I'm talking about.... every once in a while a little fight wouldn't kill. I can somewhat see your POI funky, but the lightsabre is big in star wars, and a little implementation wouldn't be too much. It's pretty simple too...
Your character does fight in the game, but it is a mix between real time and turn based. If you play Never Winter Nights, then that is the same type of style that KOTOR has. You press a button to engage the enemy but your character fights on his own.

frog11983
07-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
but I'm talking about.... every once in a while a little fight wouldn't kill. I can somewhat see your POI funky, but the lightsabre is big in star wars, and a little implementation wouldn't be too much. It's pretty simple too...

Not everyone in the star wars universe can weild a lightsaber. They take considerable skill to handle, skill that only jedi have. That is where the character building comes in, you eventually will get a lightsaber (if you want), just not right off the bat.

wweomaniac
07-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by frog11983


Not everyone in the star wars universe can weild a lightsaber. They take considerable skill to handle, skill that only jedi have. That is where the character building comes in, you eventually will get a lightsaber (if you want), just not right off the bat. yeah. So I suppose you fight with your hands or your jedi mind before then.

frog11983
07-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Have you even played the game??? You can fight with grenades, swords, knives, blaster rifles, blaster pistols, droids, and other things I haven't really used yet. The force powers come in later as you have developed your character more. I've only played the game like two hours, and I'm really fond of it. I could see how maybe not everyone would like, if you aren't a RPG or star wars fan, but I love it.

Diddy
07-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by frog11983


Not everyone in the star wars universe can weild a lightsaber. They take considerable skill to handle, skill that only jedi have.

SOMEONE WAKE HIM UP HURRY!!!!! LMAO!!


And u said if youre a RPG or SW fan you will probably like it, im aight with Star Wars, the lightsaber **** is cool, and i really did enjoy Final Fantasy 7 and 8. So do u think I will like this game??(Yeah I know stupid question to ask, but I need a good non Live game and fast!)

hiter101
07-17-2003, 10:13 PM
ok i have no idea what u a whining about u say that everyone will like the game even if there not a rpg fan alright now let me put it this way everyone can handle milk but lactost intolerent people will get sick now if u hate rpgs and u hate star wars and u knew this game was an rpg then why in the hell will u like it i tottally love this game its amazing just so much to do and the graphics are good what did u expect from an rpg game its decent not anything special and the fighting is just like its suppose to be its best of both worlds this game is called an rpg not an action game.

just my 2 cents

studepaber
07-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by hiter101
if u hate rpgs and u hate star wars and u knew this game was an rpg then why in the hell will u like

Exactly!

Now if you like either one of those two then you're in RPG/Star Wars heaven. Sure the game doesn't have the smoothest gameplay and the graphics aren't Haloesque, but they are pretty d@mn good IMO.

BTW I can't wait to start getting those dark force powers (choke :)) and double sabers.

Merimac - you should do yourself a favor and rent this, that is if you're into immersive storylines and openendedness.

Megaherz *RAGE*
07-17-2003, 11:00 PM
For anyone who is interested of buying my game, sorry i already sold it !

0101010
07-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the impressions. I was starting to get into the hype, but you have made me realize I should wait for the price to drop (like I do most games).:D

AloneInTheDark
07-17-2003, 11:46 PM
I just want to come in and give my thoughts on the game. I hate RPG's, I hate Star Wars, but for some odd reason, this game is compelling and a lot of fun. I guess that the amount of exploring leaves the world open. Sure there are framerate problems, but the game is more about the exploration, and the fights take strategy which is a good break from running and gunning. The game is great, its not godly, but certianly lives up to the hype. Merimac, if you like any rpgs at all at least give this a rent. :)

AlBoogy
07-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 0101010
Thanks for the impressions. I was starting to get into the hype, but you have made me realize I should wait for the price to drop (like I do most games).:D

Sorry to tell you but this game lives up to the hype.

CharlieHustle
07-18-2003, 01:30 AM
i know, i put about 4 hours in to this game and i hooked. I like the battle system, and the openendedness of this game is tight, its kinda like MW where you can whateva, but to a certain limit, and you cant get totally lost like MW.

X-Fan
07-18-2003, 01:52 AM
i think the guy is lying!he is some ps2 fanboy probably trying to keep a great xbox title from being sold well.personally this game kicks some serious rpg @$$.must buy this game now.

Highlite23
07-18-2003, 02:22 AM
The game is solid, forget the hype and the minor flaws.

It's an RPG people!!!!!!!!!!
Charecter Development!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stats-Level up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't we have these same discussions when Morrowind came out.:argue1:

Turn based fighting, this isn't it. Yes your charecter carries on by himself, but you can change his actions and the enemy is fighting right back at ya'.

Call it what you will, but the game is a keeper. With the adition of Downloadable Content KOTOR will be played a good long time.:D

AlBoogy
07-18-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA
The game is solid, forget the hype and the minor flaws.

It's an RPG people!!!!!!!!!!
Charecter Development!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stats-Level up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't we have these same discussions when Morrowind came out.:argue1:

Turn based fighting, this isn't it. Yes your charecter carries on by himself, but you can change his actions and the enemy is fighting right back at ya'.

Call it what you will, but the game is a keeper. With the adition of Downloadable Content KOTOR will be played a good long time.:D

Amen! BTW... http://store4.yimg.com/I/trollworldus_1747_1578198

CarGuy
07-18-2003, 06:07 AM
Anyway, i havent kept up on this post i just read the first thread.... This game is EXTREMELY well done. NO DDE's and i'm 9 hours into the game. I'm amazed, and i believe it may be one of the best RPG's ever. However it is an RPG and its not for all people so it wont join the likes of halo. A lot of thought is needed to do well in this game as opposed to halo or even splinter cell. As far as RPG's go this game is better than any i've ever seen, but not everybody likes 'em. I'm still amazed by the fact that i havent had to restart my xbox once in the past 7 hours.... WELL DONE Bioware!!:D

SkoalMint
07-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
If you want figthing play wolfenstein online, if you want character building you play RPGS...Get it.

Why can't I have both??? Personally, this is what I loved about Morrowind. I love the character building aspects combined with the real-time combat. I have never really enjoyed games that use turn-based combat.

I also have to agree with Merimac. It is good to hear someone posting some of their disappointments. The issues raised by Megaherz sound like the types of concerns I would have with this game. I still want to play the game and form my own opinions, but I will definitely rent it first.

Chaotic
07-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by hiter101
ok i have no idea what u a whining about u say that everyone will like the game even if there not a rpg fan alright now let me put it this way everyone can handle milk but lactost intolerent people will get sick now if u hate rpgs and u hate star wars and u knew this game was an rpg then why in the hell will u like it i tottally love this game its amazing just so much to do and the graphics are good what did u expect from an rpg game its decent not anything special and the fighting is just like its suppose to be its best of both worlds this game is called an rpg not an action game.

just my 2 cents

woah, slow down there junior. :o Use some periods between sentences so i can at least read what the heck you wrote :rolleyes:

Highlite23
07-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AlBoogy


Amen! BTW... http://store4.yimg.com/I/trollworldus_1747_1578198

Oddly enough, that does look like me after i stoped playing KOTOR at 2:00 AM so i could get an Official XBA review out today.:yikes:

Snoop E
07-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Megaherz *RAGE*
I though i was one of those people that gamespot was talking about, someone who don't really like rpg and i am not a star wars fan, but i decide to buy the game instead of waiting for blockbuster to got it in a week or 2 ( understand me a game with 9,5 from ign, 9,0 from gamepsot and a ton of godd review have send me a bit of tasty gaming juice. So when i brought it at home ,i finally try it and oh my god this game suck some serious ball !

What is going on ?

The framerate is non consistant ( always droping )
Texture and architecture are ***
The character face are all ugly
The combat system is a real joke ( i though i was slashing someone but the computer actually do it by itself )

Nothing so exciting, i am going to sell it soon !

Anyone interested ? ( 50 $ Canadian, you are saving 25 dollar )

Seriously, x-box is a great console but damn where the great game ? Dam* hype !



yo ill take your trade their, i live in canada to so shipping wont cost too much.


EDIT:nah **** it ill just get a new one.


ps. im sorry you fell that way bout it.

yall
07-18-2003, 10:10 AM
It should come as no suprise that some doesn't like a particular game. Some people don't like hamburgers either.

AlBoogy
07-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA


Oddly enough, that does look like me after i stoped playing KOTOR at 2:00 AM so i could get an Official XBA review out today.:yikes:

lol. I dont see a review up but did you get a chance to finish the game as both light and dark? If you did, which one did you feel was better?

Duke
07-18-2003, 11:49 AM
I doubt he finished the game either way (haven't read the review though) I think it's 80 hours, but don't quote me on that.

I've only played through the training level, but even though I'm not a fan of turn based combat, or even that big on rpg's, I like it.

Haven't had a framerate issue yet, but apparently there are some. I guess I would have preferred a combat system more like Morrowind's, but for turn-based, it's done pretty well.

Bakeman
07-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Some good points made here, but I have to say. The title to this topic.... DUH!

Of course, pretty much every RPG is not for everyone.

FuNkY mOnK
07-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint


Why can't I have both??? Personally, this is what I loved about Morrowind. I love the character building aspects combined with the real-time combat. I have never really enjoyed games that use turn-based combat.


From what i gathered in the manual there will be tons of icons at your disposal to reek havoc once learned, any other way will be impossible and shallow. give this game a chance it will dominate any rpg out there on any system.;)

Papke
07-18-2003, 08:19 PM
I loathe turn based games, and the only RPG I really like is the Zelda franchise, but I've had this game for 2 days and logged over 14 hours. It's fantastic!

Bakeman
07-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Papke
I loathe turn based games, and the only RPG I really like is the Zelda franchise, but I've had this game for 2 days and logged over 14 hours. It's fantastic!

Does it really feel like a turn based game though?

Turned based to me, is the old FF series where the game stops and then you select what you are gonna do next, etc..

En7gMa
07-18-2003, 08:56 PM
I played the game for about 2 hours now and it is not to my liking. When I review it for my site it wont get a very good rating :)

AlBoogy
07-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Papke
I loathe turn based games, and the only RPG I really like is the Zelda franchise, but I've had this game for 2 days and logged over 14 hours. It's fantastic!

Is Zelda really an RPG? I still consider it an action title.

Papke
07-18-2003, 09:40 PM
That's why it's the only 'rpg' I ever liked!:D

Diddy
07-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by hiter101
ok i have no idea what u a whining about u say that everyone will like the game even if there not a rpg fan alright now let me put it this way everyone can handle milk but lactost intolerent people will get sick now if u hate rpgs and u hate star wars and u knew this game was an rpg then why in the hell will u like it i tottally love this game its amazing just so much to do and the graphics are good what did u expect from an rpg game its decent not anything special and the fighting is just like its suppose to be its best of both worlds this game is called an rpg not an action game.

just my 2 cents

im sorry but i have trouble following what u have to say.
To me it looks like one big thought with non relative phrases.

Im not trying to flame, i really wanna hear what people have to say about this game, but could you use some commas or something??

hiter101
07-18-2003, 10:44 PM
ok i have no idea what u a whining about u say that everyone will like the game even if there not a rpg fan,

alright now let me put it this way everyone can handle milk but lactost intolerent people will get sick now if u hate rpgs and u hate star wars and u knew this game was an rpg then why in the hell will u like it

i tottally love this game its amazing just so much to do, and the graphics are good what did u expect from an rpg game its decent not anything special, and the fighting is just like its suppose to be its best of both worlds this game is called an rpg not an action game.

better? :cheers:

terraflux16
07-18-2003, 10:55 PM
So far it's been good enough for me to sit and play it for 2 days straight.

Papke
07-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by terraflux16
So far it's been good enough for me to sit and play it for 2 days straight.


Yeah, but you're a big money hustla. Not all of us can hack it like that.

FuNkY mOnK
07-19-2003, 07:40 AM
My only complaint so far is no scrolling clouds. Why on earth in this day and age of consoles is it so hard to incorporate animated skies and clouds? To me this adds so much to the realism. But then again when Lucas Arts is involved with games and developers it’s expected to have these little details over looked.:(

Kortiz
07-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I got my lightsaber.......im havin' so much fun with it too.


Me and Big Z and Carth......kick Kath Hound ass is what I would like to call UBER!

JJaX
07-19-2003, 01:59 PM
Im 12 hours into the game and im addicted :cry:

Whomever says you dont really fight is a fuking moron. The fighting in this game is very well done and it brings the best elements of turn based and real time fighting. Its pure genuis....

(skoal trust me, if you "enjoyed" the fighting in morrowind, KOTOR will knock your cowboy hat off and make you swallow your dip)

I have a feeling the people that are disliking this game are having a hard time grasping this new fighting method.

Arven
07-19-2003, 05:35 PM
What a moron. Anyone that buys a game without understanding the most fundamental things about it, and then gets disappointed because it isn't what he imagined it would be, is an idiot. Learn something about the game before buying it next time, stupid.

(I think this post earned me some dark side points.)

kenji
07-19-2003, 10:20 PM
No game is loved by everyone. Even Halo. I love this game. I like these kind of games because you can play the entire game over and over and it will not be the same. These are the games that I buy.

AlBoogy
07-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
Im 12 hours into the game and im addicted :cry:

Whomever says you dont really fight is a fuking moron. The fighting in this game is very well done and it brings the best elements of turn based and real time fighting. Its pure genuis....

(skoal trust me, if you "enjoyed" the fighting in morrowind, KOTOR will knock your cowboy hat off and make you swallow your dip)

I have a feeling the people that are disliking this game are having a hard time grasping this new fighting method.

I have a feeling you are right. I will be honest, I have never played an rpg with this kind of fighting. Everything I have ever played was turn based (a la FF). At first I had no idea what the hell I was doing. But after a while, I loved it (and still do).

Kortiz
07-20-2003, 01:26 AM
I still havent mastered the art of using all 3 of my guys abilities during a big fight.

For instance.....I have my Scout, Kortiz D'Scout and then i have Bastila and then i got Carth. I am on Datooine and killing the mandaralineblahblah leader and this guy is pretty hard. I was always having to heal heal heal heal heal heal heal.......until they finally all died.


****ED ME OFF MANG! Anyway......i finally killed this guy, but i had to run around it wasnt a really fair fight....i was kiting these bastages like a mofo. Have you guys mastered the art of using all chars. abilities during a fight? Bastila has the ability to cure, so that is set up to use her mana for healing my guys until she can't anymore......but does she use her other fighting abilities while im using my Scout to kite this bastage......like her jedi abilities.......and such........also for carth. Does he use his critical strike or whatever while im not controlling him?

gah....sounds like jibberish....if you can understand me.......sorry for the jibbered up text there.

SPARTAN VI
07-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

Your character does fight in the game, but it is a mix between real time and turn based. If you play Never Winter Nights, then that is the same type of style that KOTOR has. You press a button to engage the enemy but your character fights on his own.

I can't stress that enough. People think it's a real-time RPG where you control the sabers/blasters, but if they did any of their homework, they'd know what to expect- a NeverWinter Nights-esque RPG. Even if you don't know how NeverWinter Nights works, you'd at least pick up on the the big d20 system it uses. Honestly, did any of you think you'd be pulling JK2 Outcast-craft on a game that uses the Dungeons & Dragons d20 system? :watchout:

I noticed a framerate problem, too, especially on Tarris. The bustling crowds hack away at what used to be 30+ fps when you're inside the apartment complex. :eek: Doesn't matter, it doesnt detract from the gaming experience at all.

Anyway, I loved NeverWinter Nights, so I traded it in for KotOR. So Mac, my NWN CD key is yours. :D

JJaX
07-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Fosho
I still havent mastered the art of using all 3 of my guys abilities during a big fight.


Just be smart about the fight...

Try to overwhelm your foe. For example this is something i would do agaist a tough opponent:

Press white to pause the game.

With my character:

- energy shield to protect me.
- Than a frag grenade
- Stasis (freezes the enemy and lowers and makes them a sitting duck)
- critical strike

With Bastila:

- Energy shield
- Frag Grenade
- flurry
- Critical strike

With Carth:

- Energy Shield
- Frag grenade
- Master Rapid fire
- Master rapid fire

Than id press white and watch it all go down.

After that round, if the enemy is still standing id que up a few heals if needed. And freeze them again and have my jedi finish them off as carth shot from a distance.

Like i said, they key is to overwhelm....

Even when fighitng a pack of hounds. Just freeze them and you'll notice a critical strike / flurry / power attack will kill in one shot. Sp have each jedi do "stasis ~ Critcal strike" on seperate enemies and watch them drop like flies.

I hope this helps, but this is more less my way of playing with a bit of common sense.

MerimacHamwich
07-20-2003, 08:30 PM
There seems to be confusion on the subject of me liking and not liking this game. First of all, I have not played it. Next, I am looking forward to attempting to play it. Lastly, I said what I said becuase I am trying to encourage poeple to look at things with a level head. No one should go into any situation heavily leaning one way or the other, all options and information should first be considered. Not just what you prefer hearing.

Duke
07-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Except on rare occasions, I've pretty much let the rest of my party fight on their own, only controlling my character. I figure I'm gonna have to start reworking my plan once I get farther (I'm only on the first planet after leaving Dantooine)

And Merrimac's right. There's gonna be a lot of people who won't like this game who'll buy it simply because we all do. It's good to see other opinions, sure would have saved me some dough in the past.

FuNkY mOnK
07-21-2003, 08:35 PM
well let me go on record and say that KOTOR is the undisputed RPG champ of the world. nothing comes close at this time and fable and True fantasy will only add to this great rpg library.:D

runninutes
07-22-2003, 01:05 PM
I haven't had the chance to play KOTOR yet, but I just wanted to say it's good to see another opinion. Also, nice title for the thread, Megaherz! Much better than saying "KOTOR suXXors!" You probably avoided a lot of flaming this way.

RudedogX
07-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
well let me go on record and say that KOTOR is the undisputed RPG champ of the world. nothing comes close at this time and fable and True fantasy will only add to this great rpg library.:D
The scary thing is, I don't even think KOTOR will compete with those two when all is said and done!:yikes:

AlBoogy
07-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX

The scary thing is, I don't even think KOTOR will compete with those two when all is said and done!:yikes:

Its scary to think that things can get better then KOTOR!

RudedogX
07-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, from what we saw at E3, True Fantasy shows definite promise as a MMORPG, while Fable...well, it just simpy redifines RPG!

AlBoogy
07-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Well, from what we saw at E3, True Fantasy shows definite promise as a MMORPG, while Fable...well, it just simpy redifines RPG!

How come you guys havent done like a best of E3 thread. If Fable is that great then why doesnt it win Best of Show or anything. Im not doubting its going to be great but youd think a game that great would win some awards or something.

RudedogX
07-22-2003, 01:35 PM
It didn't because it wasn't on the show floor. They didn't allow anyone to actually play it, just the developers played it. We only got to see a few movies, and XBA actually got to check it out more than the DDC.

Slayer02
07-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Do I hear troll?
Amen.