PDA

View Full Version : OXM Demo Disc Discussion

Reclaimer
07-18-2003, 02:09 AM
OK, we should have a thread, or a forum, that pertains to the OXM demo discs. That way we can all share our views on the previews that came out. So let's start here.

I picked up the latest OXM with demos for Soldier of Fortune 2, Mace Griffin, and Ghost Recon Island Thunder.

First off, Soldier of Fortune. My intial impression of SF2 was that the sound effects where great. That has to be the best sounding shotgun (In the Prague level) I've hear, this side of Halo. In fact, all the sound effects of the weapons heard through a surround sound system, were near eargasm quality.
I liked the lean and peek feature on the D-pad. That's the first game I've played with it, and I really dig peeking around the corner and lighting up a bad guy with the SMG .45. I play SWAT style tactics, so being able to look before arriving around a corner is a major plus. The graphics in whole where OK. I was not impressed with the total graphic presentaion. Not enough texture I guess. But, killing people has been so much fun. I really liked how the bodies fly about when shot, and the gore zone damage system is cool. I didn't know much about it, until I shot someone's head right off with the shotgun. I thought, that was cool. I blew his freaking head off. Even though this doesn't represent final game code, I think an 7.5 out of 10 is in order.

Ghost Recon Island Thunder.
I never really played the first one, so I'm the Recon virgin. I do like this game. I might go and get this one and the last. I didn't know what I was missing out on. Realism is the key, and I was loving it the whole way. Graphics where good, but the square bushes and trees where a turn off. I didn't like the etch-a-sketch scenery either. But all the buildings and what not where nicely done. Obviously a different tactic is involved when playing this game. On bullet does you in, so no running and gunning here. I did feel remarkable good when I killed the first 8 bad guys over the ravine and into the plantation. Controls felt good, and my squad has a smart feeling about them. I think I can really like this game. 8.9 out of 10.

Can't say much for the Mace demo. I already bought the game. So I didn't play it. But for what it's worth, I really like it.

Snapple
07-18-2003, 03:16 AM
i agree we need a forum on this. Anyway did you guys know OXM got a new look:watchout: if not...you now know

i dont really have much to say but what the hell im bored
for my rateings:

SOF2- i really enjoyed playing this game. the graphics are nice and sound is amazing. and theres lotz of blood...well one of the most bloody games ive seen. The only problem is that its hard to switch your weapons. My rating: 8.0/10 Would i get this game: no this is more of a rentle game.

GRIT- I never really cared for the ghost recon games. mostly because the game is hard to controll. and its really hard to get used to. It does have good sound and great graphics. realistic gameplay. But i tend to get bored easily playing this game. My rating: 7.5/10 Would i buy this game: i would rent it

Bounty Hunter- this is probly the best game on the demo. great graphics. great gameplay, great sound, fun spaceship levels. and kickass weapons. the only thing is...wtf is up with the people with those smilie mask??? My rating: 9.0/10 Would i buy this game: Yes

Reclaimer
07-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Xenocide

Bounty Hunter- this is probly the best game on the demo. great graphics. great gameplay, great sound, fun spaceship levels. and kickass weapons. the only thing is...wtf is up with the people with those smilie mask??? My rating: 9.0/10 Would i buy this game: Yes

Just to answer your question. Those guys are like a religious cult that worships technology. More or less. From what I understood, the people wear those masks, and the main server shows them propaganda and what not. And then the outside of the mask denotes their mood. It's kind of weird, and makes them the most bizzare group of people I've encountered in a FPS game. It's cool though to kill them and see the mask screens change to static as they die.

No Fear 23
07-18-2003, 08:09 AM
reclaimer, you would love ghost recon. if u get live soon, the whole gameplay is much more realistic. no body plays with the threat indicator on. u act like a soldier, hunting to find enemys to win. think like a real soldier, and you can win.

i was dissapionted that the GR demo didnt have the inverted option:cuss:

Brutus
07-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Those b@stards over at OXM are liars!!! They keep telling us, "yeah! we have your downloadable content! Coming on the next Demo disc!!" How many months in a row!?!

SPIRIT OF VENGAR!!!!

Team, Follow Me!!! We will get those b@stards at OXM to be honest, even if we have to send in the flyboys!!!!

-BRUTUS!

No Fear 23
07-18-2003, 10:16 AM
calm down, its coming in the next issue. they never said when its coming in the previous issues

Brutus
07-18-2003, 01:37 PM
No, man, If you check your back issues, Mike Salmon and The Future Guy both lied!!!! Not that big of an issue though...

But I'm a big angry lizard-man!!! I need to get angry!!!

SPIRIT OF VENGAR!!!!!

Now their fear is pungent!! And I see them in orange!!! The world looks gray, but it's because I'm a giant lizard man!! I wield grenades and Feral Cutters!!!!

<HAHA! I'm a dork...>

But seriously, if they say they're going to do it, I just wish they would. Maybe they were waiting to get the Brute Force downloads.... Hmmmmmmm.... Vengar is calming....

That would be worthy of my favorite mag.
But! If I go to my mailbox again and see that the disc doesn't have my Kola Cell, then!
...Well then Vengar will be angry... And I will be forced to round up the code named: Brute Force, and they will be overthrown!!!

Oh! You think I'm kidding?! Hawk has already infiltrated their base and has fooled them all by saying her name is Juliann Brown. She has access to security codes, surveillance cameras... you name it. If the strike team is called in, Flynt will be on the roof across the street, and Tex and I will walk right in the door, thanks to Juliann. At least thats how you all know her.

And we'll kill Scout!! That little Smelly Hairy Beast!!

-Brutus!!

Reclaimer
07-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Hey, what other FPS games use the "lean" feature? I've never noticed until SOF2, and man, I really like that. Think about it. No more blind corners. No more wasting Grenades, everytime you encounter a blind turn and you think it's occupied. This leaning thing is the best concept added to a FPS game yet.
It compliments my playing style greatly. I know Metal Gear has it, but it's not an FPS. But I think as a rule of thumb, all FPS games should encorporate a lean mode. I think Halo2 will have it too. Woot!
What good is taking cover, if you can't fire from behind the cover without comprimising yourself? Think about that. Every game, you hide beind something, but you have to expose nearly 75% of your body to get a shot off. Now, you can reduce your silloutte down to atleast a good 30% or less. So survivability increases, and you can have a better plan before you engage. And like I said before. No more blind corners.

Wilddude234
07-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Hey I got the new disc, and it's not working, disc 20 worked, and 19, but somethings up with this one, It gives me the disc error screen every time I put it in, anyone know what I should do?

Reclaimer
07-19-2003, 09:17 PM
I think there are instructions on the cardboard sleeve of the demo disc. You can contact OXM for a new disc. But before you do, look through your Xbox hard drive and delete any old OXM files that are laying about your drive. They always leave some kind of temporary file on it. I heard that sometimes alleviates the problem. Also, I don't know if this works, but I heard that if you boiled (Yes, I said boiled) the CD, for a few minutes, it melts away some kind of shellac or coating on the CD, and it reads better. Now, I've never done that, but someone once mentioned that here, so be forwarned.