PDA

View Full Version : In Halo/other FPS's what takes more skill?

nutsnyomowf
07-22-2003, 10:37 PM
I was playing Halo over at some buddies house SLed.He comes up with these house rule that are dumb as Fudge.Ok 1st rule Sniper weapons only,no shield Boarding Action.Now im cool with this sounds like a good game!!!Then he throw in no Invisible,stay on your color side.(complete bullshiltz).Now for his reason for these rules: close quaters combat takes no skill,gun butt to the back of the head really no skill.Just stay on your color side look at the other side and snipe:watchout: .Im like what the Jell!!! So we play the game his team wins, im cool with that.It was a close game.Ok now my teams turn to pick.We chose Blood Gultch, CTF, no radar,warthogs.Now im thinking this is the most popular game setting being played on Halo.(thats what i see the most on XBconnect)Now we get into there Fudge packed holes 5-0 each person on my team with like 50 kills,but before the game is over the guy with the wack rules drops his controoler and quits playing(he quits on his on team)Then he complains that CTF takes no skill(if it takes NO Skill he should be able to play it right,right) So then he goes on to say that a Sniper has more skill then a Assasin that can go behind enemy lines and walk away with the kill. I jus want to know what u guys think.

mitch2025
07-29-2003, 08:56 PM
ur friend is a sore loser

Reclaimer
07-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Close Quarter Combat, as in what? Running around beating fools on the head with the melee? That's not skill at all.

C.Q.B. meaning tactically making entry into confined spaces and engaging in combat. That takes skill. Getting into a building under fire, moving through doorways or other fatal funnels without getting killed. Making the transition from dynamically entering to sweeping a space out. That takes skill, gonads and exacting precision. Knowing your field of fire, covering your field of vision, and other things. And here's something that most people don't learn enough about. Taking corners when an enemy is near by. It's harder than you think. Especially in a game where you don't have a lean mode. Like in Halo, if you can see around a corner, they can see you. You present enough of your body to get killed. So in Halo, you have to divide your turn into sectors, then when you're ready to breach, haul ass in, because the longer you creep around that turn, the more time bullets can find you.

Sniping is no slouch position either. It's not something I like to do, but you need to be on top of it. You have to be effective, and your shot(s) must kill quickly, because the first time you pull the trigger, you just raised a sign over your head that say's "I'm right here, please kill me." You have to think several steps ahead before you shoot. You have to line it up, and then think of where can you go once your position has been comprimised. Then you have to be thinking about the sniper hunters coming for you. Everyone knows the Halo maps. Everyone knows where the snipers go. And a smart player gets a rocket and a shotgun and starts the hunt.

RadRider
08-02-2003, 01:00 PM
My immediate reaction is that close quarters combat, including melee fighting, takes far more skill.
It's easy to pick off a guy if he's in the distance and can't see you nearby, because he doesn't know where you are or how to dodge the bullets. The only chance he has is if you miss, then he might see where the shots are coming from, and might possibly be able to move to a safe location.
Close quarters are different though. If you've got guns, you're going to notice somebody shooting at you from the sounds alone, so you can spin around quickly and try to find him. However you also need to start attacking him while avoiding fire. This is very difficult to do in close quarters, particularly in most Halo maps where there usually isn't much cover. Same with melee, if you get hit and don't die, you've got a slight stretch of time to find who's attacking, try and find cover and launch your own attack. It's more frantic and requires more skill than long-range fighting.

And CTF requires loads of skill. It sounds to me like your friend just has some gripes with Halo, and tried to keep it at a level where it might still be fun to him. However, as I've learned, it's difficult to make a game fun if the game doesn't appeal to you.

No Fear 23
08-03-2003, 01:33 AM
close combat of course. sniping is just too easy bc u can pick them off a distance. u gotta have combat skills to stay alive in the game. so there.

Spellfire
08-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Well it boils down to your friend is a sore loser, but tacticly speaking sniper takes more skill although fun goes to close quarter combat. Now which one is more important? Besides if your playing the game use both aspects to keep it interesting and challanging. You both go home happy :cheers: ...well until he blows your head off with the 50 cal. half way across the map.

ghost 009
08-04-2003, 12:28 PM
I think everything in that game takes skill cause i stoped playing halo for a while and i sucked at close combat but i just got better and my brother made these stupid rules like no nades nothin but pistols he still only beats me 1 out of 5 times.