PDA

View Full Version : Are you a core or casual gamer?

aj142
07-23-2003, 12:23 PM
...or something in between? I think I'm more of a core gamer than a casual - I have all three consoles, a PC and about 30 or more games. I buy games on a fairly regular basis and I play every chance I get. I usually finish my games on the hardest setting. I have a favorite genre (shooting / action adventure) and I even subscribe to gaming magazines. If that isn't core, then it's whatever comes next.

borka105
07-23-2003, 12:33 PM
I would say I am casual, but it really matters what season. I only own an XBOX, but I do play quite often during some parts of the year.

During the summer, I would say that I am hardcore, but during the other months, I am as casual as as any gamer can be. Right now, I play every day for about 2-3 hours, but during the other months, I'll only play on the weekends for about 4 or so hours.

-borka105

DZNUTZ
07-23-2003, 01:42 PM
i'd say a i'm a core gamer taking a looong hiatus.
i got all 3 next gens..not to mention numerous ol school...and have countless games.
but in all honesty ever since right before e3...i barely play at all.

i think i overdosed over the last 2 years.

Chaotic
07-23-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm with fruitcake on this one, I haven't turned my xbox on in the past month. And prior to E3 i barely ever played, It's summer time and i'm just extremely busy so i don't want to be wasting nice days sitting inside and playing video games :rolleyes:

Trento52
07-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Well I am casual but when i like a game i really want to play it. Like i got blood rayne and really like it and almost finished it but i never buy new games because i feel bad about spending alot of money and stuff so i get it used or wait till the price goes down and stuff.

thrAsher
07-23-2003, 02:10 PM
I want to be the first to say that just 'cuz you have every system and a million games does not make you a hardcore gamer. I don't consider myself as hardcore as some, but I do take my video games very seriously.

For instance, I try to beat a game on every difficulty, try to find every hidden item and easter egg, explore every nook and cranny, get majorly PO'ed when I screw up, and am always trying to beat my best score (on games that, thankfully, rate you). I read up on games from numerous sites before I buy them, and I feel I have a good idea of what a great game is versus a rental.

So, I guess I'm more of a video-game perfectionist than a hardcore gamer (someone define this, please, as I'm still at a loss as to what it means) while anything but a casual gamer (been at it since I was a wee child and will play until my thumbs fall off, then I'll just have to learn to use my feet).

:cheers:

LTM360
07-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by thrAsher
I want to be the first to say that just 'cuz you have every system and a million games does not make you a hardcore gamer. I don't consider myself as hardcore as some, but I do take my video games very seriously.

For instance, I try to beat a game on every difficulty, try to find every hidden item and easter egg, explore every nook and cranny, get majorly PO'ed when I screw up, and am always trying to beat my best score (on games that, thankfully, rate you). I read up on games from numerous sites before I buy them, and I feel I have a good idea of what a great game is versus a rental.

So, I guess I'm more of a video-game perfectionist than a hardcore gamer (someone define this, please, as I'm still at a loss as to what it means) while anything but a casual gamer (been at it since I was a wee child and will play until my thumbs fall off, then I'll just have to learn to use my feet).

:cheers:

ditto to everything you said, except beat on all difficulty, and finding everything. Take Final Fantasy & GTA3, I like Final Fantasy beyond reason, but I will not go back to do anything. I look for Ultima Weapons, but if I end up beating the game, I see no reason to find them. Same with the Summons. In GTA3 I play it just for fun but I dont look for hidden packages etc. unless I just happen to stumble upon them.

I do though, take them very seriously, probably a bit too seriously, once I get into a game, I cannot put it down until I get too ****ed off (Hot Shots Golf 2), or until I beat my high score for the hundreth time (THPS Series). Im very high above a casual gamer, but a little below hardcore. I have several systems, but nothing to the effect of Saturn, or 3DO, if it failed I dont have it. Besides Game.com, and Game Gear. excluding Ataris since I wasnt even born in that era. I was born with an NES and just developed a huge addiction to them.

RudedogX
07-23-2003, 02:27 PM
I'd say I'm something in between. I'm didn't get into the on line gaming on the PC, but I'm into it on Live with a vengeance. Of course, just like DZ and Chaotic, I haven't been on much since E3. I just got ODed on games there too. Of course with KOTOR, I'm suddenly non-stop playing that again. So in the end, if there is something going on, I won't play a videogame. If there isn't anything of interest, I'll pick it up and play, but I'm good enough that the long hiatus doesn't make much of a dent in my quality of gameplay.

No Fear 23
07-23-2003, 02:32 PM
umm, i would say m in between. whenever i dont have something to do, i always play games. there are times where i am burned out and havent played for like 1-3 months. after that im back. island thunder is coming soon, so im gonna be playing that game more than RTCW.

runninutes
07-23-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm much closer to hardcore than casual, but I don't think I'm hardcore, just very knowledgable. Since I travel, my gaming time on anything but my GBA and my old laptop is limited. However, counting my home PC and laptop as just one, I have 10 different gaming platforms at my house, and literally hundreds of games.

I usually play games on Normal because of two reasons - time committment and fun. With my available time, I can't really play enough to become an expert at many games, so if I play them at the hardest difficulty, I can't get good enough for them to be fun. There's actually just one game I can think of that I'm (still) working on beating on all difficulty levels - Diablo II. Crazy Taxi is probably the only game I have that I consistently go back to with the goal of beating my top score. However, I've been known to delay finishing a game so that I could get the very best weapon or do what I have to so that I get the best ending.

Finally, even though I don't play all the time, I do read a lot of gaming material - magazines, websites, etc. - so that I know what's going on. Like many of yours probably do to you, my friends and relatives consider me a gaming "expert" and turn to me with questions on what to buy and why, knowing that I'll help them find what's best for them. Of course, I do have to pimp my favorite games... :) but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Good question, aj!

rpgreligion
07-23-2003, 04:34 PM
I consider myself a hardcore gamer. Video games have been my life since like....a long time ago :)

BlubberBuns
07-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Hmmm, rather interesting comments. I tend to define hardcore gamers based on what they have purchased, rather than how good they actually are. There is a difference. From Microsoft's marketing point of view, anybody who has all 3 consoles, a gaming capable PC, and broadband is hardcore. I agree. I might consider myself a casual gamer. I've wanted an Xbox since it came out, but the wife finally let me buy one 3 months ago. I get to play my Xbox one or two times a month. Real life has this ugly habbit of getting in the way. Needless to say, the concept of finishing a game on any level for me is pure fantasy. And, I am a recovering EverQuest addict.

DocHoliday78
07-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Core for sure. I got every system except for ps2 and yes that includes jaguar, 32x, Master system, sega cd etc...

LynxFX
07-23-2003, 05:43 PM
I used to be hardcore especially when it came to Quake 2 XCTF and UT Assault. Both clans I was in were very very competitive and we always remained in the top 5 in every pro ladder they had and made sure people screamed our name. Or something like that. But after that I didn't have time to keep it up so now I just play what I want, relax a bit, own plenty of games but have plenty that still need to be played more than once.

Duke
07-23-2003, 05:48 PM
If you're posting on an xbox website then you're definitely more hardcore than most. I go through periods when I don't play, but your casual gamer would never make a post here.

Seawolf X
07-23-2003, 08:09 PM
I either play a hell of a lot or like none at all. I've been playing KOTOR everyday all day since it came out.

Dr_J
07-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Casual.............I have a life.

Seawolf X
07-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Dr_J
Casual.............I have a life.

Of course you do...but it's summer:D

FuNkY mOnK
07-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
If you're posting on an xbox website then you're definitely more hardcore than most. I go through periods when I don't play, but your casual gamer would never make a post here. Exactly,casual gamers usually play with their cell phones and have no clue what FPS stands for. as for me i can't wait for virtual reality.

wbio
07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
I'm a pretty casual gamer, sometimes I go a week without even touching my xbox. If I have friends over though, I like playing games all the time, I really like multiplayer, and that gets me playing.

DocHoliday78
07-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Seawolf X

Of course you do...but it's summer:D

Exactly, its summer. Which means swimming, BBQ's, parties, hoopin it up, and last but not least Videogames baby!

Frink
07-23-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm definitely not the most hardcore of gamers, but I'm more hardcore than casual. I had beaten Tony Hawk 3 45 times and could beat the entire game in a half hour. I could do the first 3 or 4 levels in one run. The Tony Hawk series is one of the few games that I am really hard core about.

But, I do have a lot of video game knowledge and I play classic games at any point I can. I've scoured numerous flea markets just trying to find the Atari games I've wanted forever. I currently have 7 gaming systems hooked up to one TV, but I neglect some of them for lack of time. I subscribe to 3 gaming magazines and own 4 or 5 books about the history of video games and computers. That of course doesn't count books on computer programs or languages.

Now that I think about...I'm a pretty huge geek and a pretty hardcore gamer. :)

MachineGunMac
07-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Im probably between a casual gamer and a hardcore gamer cause i only play games when i have nothing else to do but I research alot of games, so that balances me out.

Arven
07-23-2003, 11:56 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "hardcore."

If you define "hardcore" by the number of hours in a day you spend playing games, then I'm casual. I don't have a lot of free time.

If you define it by how important games are to you -- how much you enjoy them, how much you think about them, how seriously you take them -- then I'm hardcore.

If you define it by the game-related technology you own (number of systems, broadband, 5.1 sound, etc.), then I'm hardcore.

If you define it by whether you know all the details of your games (D&D rules, for instance) or whether you beat your games on multiple difficulty settings, then I'm casual.

shrew king
07-24-2003, 12:50 AM
I'd say I am a casual gamer that knows a hell of a lot more about games than most casual gamers, which probably puts me in between. I like to hear the news in the video-game world and I'd say I know more than most, as do a lot of us, but I don't really play my Xbox that much.

l Maximus l
07-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
i'd say a i'm a core gamer taking a looong hiatus.
i got all 3 next gens..not to mention numerous ol school...and have countless games.
but in all honesty ever since right before e3...i barely play at all.

i think i overdosed over the last 2 years.

I'd say that you got bit by the summer bug. Who in the hell plays games during the summer as much as they do during the winter, fall, and spring seasons? Just a thought, you bloke :D

l Maximus l
07-24-2003, 01:53 AM
As for me, I would say that I am a casual gamer but a hardcore XBox gamer. If anyone talks trash about the big black and green, they will hear it from me. Talk all the trash about the PoS2 and the little Purple Barbie Easy Bake Oven anytime. If anyone talks trash about the green X, for some reason, it's personal :cuss:

On a related side note, my sister recently conceived a little boy named Dawson...and, eventhough he is too young to talk, it is my goal for his first word in life to be "XBox" :D

treyz3
07-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Definitely somewhere below hardcore, but not casual, either. I usually spend a lot of my free time gaming, whether it's on my PC or Xbox.

DZNUTZ
07-24-2003, 01:54 PM
good ol..double posting maxy...and youwonder how he's got all those posts...lol..jk.

naw..i feel what your saying max...its summertime...time to paint the town passion fruit alize red.

speaking of..fat ass party @mycrib tommorow night...drop everything your doing and hit the road...you can make it here in what?..16hours?

anywyas..i'm sho the whole ddc will be on soon enuff w/ the likes of espn2k4, rainbow6, and haloduce round da corner.

l Maximus l
07-24-2003, 09:09 PM
anywyas..i'm sho the whole ddc will be on soon enuff w/ the likes of espn2k4, rainbow6, and haloduce round da corner.

Damn, dude...yoiu know it. Once Halo 2 comes out, people will fear the D.D.C.!

DZNUTZ
07-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

. Once Halo 2 comes out, people will fear the D.D.C.!

as if those with half a brain don't already. ;)

warriorboy0302
07-25-2003, 10:44 AM
I dunno what I am. I love to play games but I only do it every once-in-a-while. I think I just get bored with the games that I got.

l Maximus l
07-26-2003, 03:07 PM

as if those with half a brain don't already. ;)

hehe...yes, very true. But, keep in mind that I play the first Halo on almost a daily basis. Many poor infidels around the globe have stopped playing the game and probably need to refresh themselves by the time Halo 2 comes out. While they are refreshing, they will be unpleasantly surprised by a D.D.C rampage :D

The only thing we will need to learn while playing together is learning how to coordinate as a team. This will come in time, but, it's all good...I have some serious patience for that.

Fo sheezy, yo!!! Shizzle my nizzle and all that good shiznit :D

wbio
07-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
I'd say I am a casual gamer that knows a hell of a lot more about games than most casual gamers, which probably puts me in between. I like to hear the news in the video-game world and I'd say I know more than most, as do a lot of us, but I don't really play my Xbox that much.
Actually, that's almost exactly how I am, I don't play that much, but I'd say I have a pretty good knowledge of games, and love hearing news from the video game world

hebgbz
07-27-2003, 05:56 AM
I'm a casual gamer with quite a core.