PDA

View Full Version : Got a Question for you guys

MetalSludge
07-25-2003, 09:15 AM
I am a long time PC gamer who is getting tired of playing the upgrade game all the time. This time around its going to need a major upgrade like in the 1,000 dollar range. I was thinking of getting a XBOX instead. I play mainly sports, racing, and FPS games. I was wandering what your suggestions to this might be?
Should I ditch the PC?
Are PC and XBOX games comparable?
Do you get alot of the same titles?

Ninja Scroll
07-25-2003, 09:19 AM
First off welcome to XBA homie!:cheers:

I dont think you should ditch your PC altogether. You never know, there maybe a PC exclusive game ya want someday that may never get a console version.

But yes! For da love of gamers, get a Xbox!

They now only retail for $179.99!

As well as have da greatest FPS ever in "HALO". Which btw is a must own when you go buy your Xbox.

You should also consider the XBOX LIVE kit (XBL) if you have broadband connection ala DSL or Cable.
Sega is releasing ESPN NFL2K4 this Fall and you can play friends and other gamers online!

We do it here all da time at XBA!;)

Flood
07-25-2003, 09:24 AM
first off....welcome to XBA

2ndly, there are lots of good sports, FPS's and racing games for the Xbox

FPS'
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon-Island thunder(fall)
Halo
Rainbow Six 3(fall)
Counterstrike(fall)

Racing
Need for speed 2
Apex
Midnight Club 2
Moto GP 1 and 2
Midtown Madness 3
Burnout 2

i dont know any good sports games that are out cause im not a big fan....i know the sega 2K3 series is decent...but i believe the 2K4 series is coming out soon

i personally prefer counsoles to PC due to not needing to contantly upgrade. and if you have broadband, Xbox Live is a great way to play games online with voice chat. you can sometimes get a package deal with a new xbox and a xbox live starter kit.

i'm sure a bunch of others will reply with stuff i forgot.

hopefully you'll decide to join the xbox community :)

treyz3
07-25-2003, 09:35 AM
I'd save the money and buy an Xbox.

The FPS and racing games mentioned above will have you covered, and the sports games available on the box are the same ones you've played on the PC and more. Whether you want football (college or pro), basketball (college or pro), baseball, wrestling or others, it's all available on the box.

Also, a lot of the games that come to the PC come to the box as well.

And this can't be said enough. If you have broadband internet access, Xbox Live is a must!

wweomaniac
07-25-2003, 09:36 AM
well for me... sports games have always been a console-type game for me. its a lot easier to play multiplayer with friends over when its on console and it just seems like they're meant for console.

racing games are just as fun to play on consoles.

Now... FPS game are way easier to play on PC and perhaps according to all those core PC gamers is meant only for PC, but Halo LAN parties are killer, and the controls take a bit of time to perfect.

So go ahead and get an xbox before halo 2 comes out so you can try out the original Halo.

blewis
07-25-2003, 01:50 PM
I used to be a PC gamer... bought an xbox a year ago... I haven't touched the PC for games since.

Why? Let's see... should I play games sitting in an office chair with a 19 inch screen in the office? Or, should I play lougin back chillin' on the couch with the 32" WEGA and BOSE 5. 1 surround sound? Tough choice...

Here's another point that steered me in the direction of Xbox vs. PC. When you put in an xbox game... it works! Seems I was always screwing with drivers or something with PC games.

Not to mention:
Halo!
Splinter Cell
Hunter: The Reckoning
Baldur's Gate 2
KOTOR
etc.

And, PC's have online MP. But built in voice? Don't think so...

I could go on and on, but... I won't.

MetalSludge
07-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Well all I think you have made the XBOX seem like the way to go. My cousin is still trying to talk me out of it. says you will hate it after a few weeks and the controllers suck, picture on tv is terrible. I was thinking of taking the money i saved by buying a box and buying a new TV. Mine is way outdated. 15 year old 32"RCA. Was thinking of getting a new flat panel with that 3 digital linear thing in it and componet inputs. Do you think that would do?

Also do you need different cables to use other than the ones xbox provodes you with to use componet inputs?

Shadow20002
07-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Before i write this, please i dod't want to point anyone, just my own thoughs. I think PC games is just for someone who have some times to spend and really matter about everything on it. As for consoles, all you have to do is just buy a title than put it on the console and play. I think you should get a console better than upgrading no stop your PC.

MetalSludge
07-25-2003, 03:08 PM
What exactly did you mean?

Steve1987
07-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I think he means that consoles are for people that just want to put a game in and play. While PC Gamers don't mind going through the setup process and fiddling with the settings.

I'm still mostly a PC gamer, i've had the Xbox since Launch but it doesn't really interest me that much. :watchout:
Would be nice if i could hold of games easily though. eg rentals. The Blockbusters here is crap, and i tried an online rental service and it took them 18 days to deliver it! :cuss:
But with the pc i can get games alot easier.

cheetahmanhood
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM
add unreal championship, mechassault, and medal of honor frontline, on your list of games to get.:D

blewis
07-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Was thinking of getting a new flat panel with that 3 digital linear thing in it and componet inputs. Do you think that would do?

Hell ya. I just picked up one last week when my old tube died. Looks frakin awesome. I didn't shell out the bucks for HD, but I did get flat-component in-3comb filter goodness.

Sony 32 Flat (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?oid=59366&c=1&b=g)

Also do you need different cables to use other than the ones xbox provodes you with to use componet inputs?

Ya. For 20 bucks you can get a cable that lets you output Component and 5.1 digital audio. It's called "Advance Pack" or something like that.

Seawolf X
07-25-2003, 06:33 PM
I did realize xbox(console) games cost more than computer. Usually, for a new xbox game It is $50. For pc It is $30...not like it matters...cuz when the plat deals microsoft has will fix that problem and with other good deals:cheers:

bluefire712
07-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Seawolf X
I did realize xbox(console) games cost more than computer. Usually, for a new xbox game It is $50. For pc It is $30...not like it matters...cuz when the plat deals microsoft has will fix that problem and with other good deals:cheers:

Have you been living in a cave? Almost all full PC games at retail will cost between $60-40. There are some crappy games that begin at $30, but it's definitely not the majority of good ones. There are a slim proportion (15-30%) of Xbox games that do start below $50 FYI.

l Maximus l
07-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by MetalSludge
Well all I think you have made the XBOX seem like the way to go. My cousin is still trying to talk me out of it. says you will hate it after a few weeks and the controllers suck, picture on tv is terrible. I was thinking of taking the money i saved by buying a box and buying a new TV. Mine is way outdated. 15 year old 32"RCA. Was thinking of getting a new flat panel with that 3 digital linear thing in it and componet inputs. Do you think that would do?

Yes...if you want to use Component video cables, the pack you need to pick up in addition to your XBox will be the "High Definition A/V Pack". This is the only pack by Microsoft XBox that has component cables...it also boasts an input for Optical audio if you have a 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound.

I have a 50" HDTV running the Monster 400 Series XBox Component Video cables. I would recommend these, except there is a downfall to it. Because I have a surround sound system, this pack required me to pick up Monster's proprietary optical cable which is twice as much as a standard optical cable, which can be used for the High Definition A/V pack by Microsoft. The picture on my HDTV is unbelievable...far better than my PC can do...and much bigger. Besides, I also prefer sitting on my couch rather than chillin' on a desk chair.

By the way, welcome to XBA!!

MetalSludge
07-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am gonna go pick up a XBOX today.

E Nomini Patri
07-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MetalSludge
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am gonna go pick up a XBOX today.

That's cool man, hope you enjoy your purchase :) Dide I mention I played Halo for three days straight after I got it?

On another note, I just got a sweet 20" flat-screen tv for 150$ at Wal-Mart w/ S-Video, and the picture is incredible! I can't even begin to imagine how great HDTV would be, but that will have to wait for another day... I'm just glad I don't have to play on a 16 year old 20" that has out of place horizontal pixels that make the screen look like junk.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/08/64/83/04/0008648304628_500X500.jpg

Enjoy your X-box, hope you get much love out of it, like I did!

Himji
07-28-2003, 03:19 AM
Hey good choice :)

I did exactly what you did a few months back and I'm glad I did. Nice easy relaxed play, if I've only got 1/2 hour to mess around then 1/2 hour it is. If I can spend more time then hey :D

I only hope that all the extra bit's I've bought will be usuable on the new version of the box (vga box, controllers, av pack etc)

wbio
07-28-2003, 08:14 AM
congratulations, and yeah, get a flat screen tv, the picture is much better than a standard tv, and they're not that expensive either.

MetalSludge
07-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Yes I definatly need a new TV. This 15 y/o 32" RCA has a bad picture. I was wandering weather to get HDTV or just Flat Screen with componet inputs

wbio
07-28-2003, 08:43 AM
if you have the money, it would probably be better to get a HDTV because it will be more up to date for a longer time, but flat screens are still good.

blewis
07-28-2003, 12:44 PM
I just paid $750 for a FlatScreen Wega with Compnonet inputs, but no HD....

...THEN, just yesterday I noticed in the Best Buy ad, a 32" Flat HD for only $800! That's the best price I've seen for a 32' HDTV. Never heard of the company that makes it though. ADVENT. Anybody heard of them?

The Wega equivalent for the same thing costs $1,300.

wbio
07-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by blewis
I just paid $750 for a FlatScreen Wega with Compnonet inputs, but no HD....

...THEN, just yesterday I noticed in the Best Buy ad, a 32" Flat HD for only $800! That's the best price I've seen for a 32' HDTV. Never heard of the company that makes it though. ADVENT. Anybody heard of them?

The Wega equivalent for the same thing costs $1,300.
that's pretty good for a 32 foot tv, lol, I think I've heard of Advent, not sure though, I would go to the store and look at the picture before I bought one though:watchout: