PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR sets Xbox sales records

Knight
07-26-2003, 05:36 PM
BioWare's epic Star Wars RPG sets a new software sales record for the Xbox.

During Microsoft's recent financial analyst meeting, Robert Bach (senior vice president of Microsoft's home and entertainment division and its chief Xbox officer) stated that LucasArts and BioWare's Xbox RPG Knights of the Old Republic has set a new sales record for the console. According to Bach, the game managed to sell 250,000 copies in a span of only four days.

Bach also discussed a variety of other topics, including the impending arrival of XSN, the Xbox Live sports network that lets players form leagues and set up tournaments. He also said that the company is continuing to work with third parties to garner additional support for the system, citing games such as Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six 3, Max Payne 2, and others.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/news_6072390.html

AlBoogy
07-26-2003, 05:51 PM
This game deserves those kinds of numbers unlike some other games (Brute Force). It also deserves to be the fastest to 1 million. This game is amaaaaaaaaaazing.

CarGuy
07-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Agreed. It's one of the best games ever.

DocHoliday78
07-26-2003, 07:07 PM
My god its selling fast. How many did Halo sell in its first week?

l Maximus l
07-26-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm not exactly sure how many copies of Halo were sold the first week...but, I can gaurantee that Halo 2 will anniliate KOTOR's record...likely double it. Also, XBox Live kits will probably have a record sales week during that time, too.

I believe that KOTOR deserves the honor eventhough I have never played it. It appears that it's the first worthy role playing game on XBox...and we all know that RPG lovers have been going insane waiting for one :D

BCan
07-26-2003, 08:57 PM
That's all fine and good for a game that is still over a month away here in Australia. Why do we have to wait so long???

kenji
07-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by BCan
That's all fine and good for a game that is still over a month away here in Australia. Why do we have to wait so long??? You can't order it from the US? That really sucks, man. My heart goes out to you.:cheers:

BattleAxe2006
07-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I'm not exactly sure how many copies of Halo were sold the first week...but, I can gaurantee that Halo 2 will anniliate KOTOR's record...likely double it. Also, XBox Live kits will probably have a record sales week during that time, too.

I believe that KOTOR deserves the honor eventhough I have never played it. It appears that it's the first worthy role playing game on XBox...and we all know that RPG lovers have been going insane waiting for one :D

if i owned a store, i'd dedicate an isle or two just for copies of halo 2, that's gonna be a game that you HAVE to pre order, or you're gonna be waiting a long time for it to restock if you don't get there on time.

Papke
07-26-2003, 10:36 PM
I hope all 250,000 people that bought the game don't have to trade it in because they don't feel like starting over after it won't let them past a certain cutscene that happens to be one of the few unavoidable scenes in the entire game.

This really ticks me off. Kotor was definitely one of my favorite xbox games ever. :cuss:

DocHoliday78
07-26-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Papke
I hope all 250,000 people that bought the game don't have to trade it in because they don't feel like starting over after it won't let them past a certain cutscene that happens to be one of the few unavoidable scenes in the entire game.

This really ticks me off. Kotor was definitely one of my favorite xbox games ever. :cuss:

What are you talking about? I havent played it yet so dont give any spoilers but why does the game make you start over?

CharlieHustle
07-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Maybe its your console. I have friends who have this game, and both of them are at malak now and they told me nothing about the game crashing or any flaws in this game. Try another disk or shall i say a new console. I have the original xbox(release date) and the only game to crash on me was MW and WSB2k4 a couple of times.

DocHoliday78
07-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Of course halo 2 will dominate KOTOR's sale numbers. Even ps2 owners are gonna be excited about this one.

Peepers
07-27-2003, 01:12 AM
It certainly is. It's been selling out at every retailer in my town and I can't get my hands on it. It also seems to be setting rental records, 'cause it's been out at all the rental spots in town too.

thrAsher
07-27-2003, 01:52 AM
As it should. It's a great game. For Xbox RPG fiends, it's a blessing. I'll be playing this until Fable, Sudeki, and TFLO hit the stands.

But I have to say, this is a unique RPG in that is as much an interactive movie as it is a video game. The plot is top notch, stewed in all the goodness of the true Star Wars mythos. The occasional stutter in frames per second aside, the game flows like a raging, addictive river of RPG.

Anyhow, enough gushing. Hopefully this news means KOTOR II.

:wink: :cheers:

l Maximus l
07-27-2003, 03:40 AM
Man, I wish I liked RPGs. I'll try KOTOR once it becomes available at one of the local rental stores (it has always been rented out every time I check), and perhaps it will change my mind about RPGs.

Personally, I like games that have tons of action...contant movement, senseless killing, and rivers of bloodshed :D RPGs don't seem to have these!

Unreal
07-27-2003, 12:56 PM
I am enjoying the game alot. It deserves all the sales it is getting.

xbox genius
07-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Man, I wish I liked RPGs. I'll try KOTOR once it becomes available at one of the local rental stores (it has always been rented out every time I check), and perhaps it will change my mind about RPGs.

Personally, I like games that have tons of action...contant movement, senseless killing, and rivers of bloodshed :D RPGs don't seem to have these!

yea i agree about what kind of games u like. i hate RPGs cuz i hate turn based systems!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i might try out KOTOR since u have the option not to fight...

speedbuggy76
07-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78

What are you talking about? I havent played it yet so dont give any spoilers but why does the game make you start over?
Here is my understanding of this bug, but since I haven't gotten this far yet, I can't be positive of this. For more info, check out
the KotOR forums. (http://swforums.bioware.com/index.html)

There is a certain part of the game where one of your characters has the opportunity to use her stealth ability. If you use her stealth, later in the game, during an important cutscene, one of the main characters will stop speaking, but his head will keep bobbing and his mouth will keep moving like he is still talking. This is because, for some reason, your playable character can't see the character you used earlier, so the game doesn't show her on the screen, and the game gets confused, so it freezes on the guy's bobbing head. I have heard that this can be fixed, by upping your playable character's awareness so that you can see the cloaked person. Every 30 seconds the game picks a random number from 1-20 and adds it to the cloaked character's stealth ability, then it picks another random number 1-20 and adds it to your playable character's awareness ability, if your awareness exceeds her stealth, you will see her and the game will continue normally, so if your awareness is within 19 points of her stealth, it is mathematically possible to continue, just leave the game running until it sees her. You can also give your character items that will increase his awareness. But the easiest fix to this problem is to not use her stealth at this point in the game.

I hope this helps! Have fun, this game is well worth every penny!

EDIT: Fixed spelling error

Papke
07-27-2003, 03:45 PM
That's all well and good, but it's not what happened to me.

**SPOILERS**

After you leave the sith base on Manaan, you are put on trial for entering the base and taking care of some beef with the sith. During the trial, you are sentenced to death. It shows a cutscene of you being shocked and then cuts back to you in your cell. After about 3 seconds in the cell, my game quits back to the loading screen. I have not been able to find a way around the cutscene. I don't want to start over.