PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Survivor game

Hermes Pan
07-27-2003, 01:34 PM
anyone seen this yet? it's a game based around 9/11. it will undoubtedly upset a lot of people. but then again, WWII and vietnam upset a lot of people too and there are plenty of games about those around.

http://www.kinematic.org/

l Maximus l
07-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Pretty cool...I hope we get to blow away Al-Queda.

Ford Mustang
07-27-2003, 02:40 PM
LOL....My thoughts exactly.

FuNkY mOnK
07-27-2003, 03:04 PM
this is retarded, but if they were to make an add on for ghost recon to hunt down Al-Queda and bin laden they'll be onto something. max while you're here, my email notifictaions not working at all, everything is checked and in order. please find out whats going on for me. Thanks

FuNkY mOnK

JJaX
07-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
max while you're here, my email notifictaions not working at all, everything is checked and in order. please find out whats going on for me. Thanks

FuNkY mOnK

Is the e-mail address you provided correct?

FuNkY mOnK
07-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

Is the e-mail address you provided correct?
sorry to screw up this thread. yes my email is correct,email notification is checked, and is set to yes in my profile. everything is system go go go, but i get no go.:(

l Maximus l
07-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

sorry to screw up this thread. yes my email is correct,email notification is checked, and is set to yes in my profile. everything is system go go go, but i get no go.:(

I'm not sure what's up. I recommend sending Kraft-XBA a PM :)

FuNkY mOnK
07-27-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I'm not sure what's up. I recommend sending Kraft-XBA a PM :) Thanks :)

DocHoliday78
07-27-2003, 08:13 PM
I think they should give it a few years before they make a 9/11 game. It just seems a little too early to me to be making any games like this.

Casper
07-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78
I think they should give it a few years before they make a 9/11 game. It just seems a little too early to me to be making any games like this.

Exactly...so at least I'm happy that when I went into this thread, there was someone saw this as an asinine concept. How the hell are they going to do this? I'm sick just looking at the screenshots. If this does go to a publisher, I'll be dam sure to make sure this doesn't last.....businessman/women walking through the burning floors to try and get out and they show someone jumping....fukin jumping? Hell, that could have been one of the 5 family friends from down there that I knew - all dead...no clue which ones jumped or didn't, because they were all buried....

fuk....I dunno, call me an American (which I am), call me a New Yorker ( damn proud!) but you can't call me anyone that would let this happen...it's the most tragic event we had in our country that occurred just a year and a half ago (doed it even seem that long?) and it's now...freakin now....bah....now I'm pi$$ed :cuss:

MerimacHamwich
07-27-2003, 09:47 PM
As another person stated in this thread, it is no different than any of the war games out there. Heck, if an army vet were to play through Battle Field 1942 or Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, I am darn sure they would be incredibly upset about it. Infact I bet they would be extremely angry about it. Morso than anyone who was affected by 9/11. Not only were more poeples lives lost in Wars, but they were lost in the fight for freedom, to re-enact their deaths directly, or indirectly is a great disrespect not only to the person and the poeple he knew but to our very own freedom.

Yet, I am sure as you all know, around 99% of the poeple who frequent these forums play war games that do exactly that, and they enjoy it.

So, when a game comes along like this, you have to view it from all perspectives. Personally, all though I know 9/11 was a horrible event, I have nothing against any game being made about it.

Casper
07-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Merimac - so you're telling me that after checking out those screens for the game that it really should be made a game....I can see if it was maybe a retaliation afterwards, but is there a need to have it so that people are jumping for their lives and you get a 3rd person view?

hiter101
07-27-2003, 10:15 PM
wow this is so disrespectfull the reason that most people play video games is that they wont have the courage nor the oppotunity to be in a real war and want to know wat it feels to be a hero or a vet or wat its like shooting someone.

the people that fought in WWII chose to fought in it and knew the dangers that had it comin. but the people that suffered at 9/11 didnt choose to die jumping out of a 100 somewat story skyscraper because of the american so called non moral beliefs as where u can do wateva the hell u want.

this is another scheme of large corprate marketing just because the world knows about 9/11 they think they can sell this game i for sure will not get it.

and for the record im not the biggest patriot i disagree with alot of wat the US goverment does i just think that this is over exposure of a tradgec event that should of have never takin place.

Flood
07-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
As another person stated in this thread, it is no different than any of the war games out there. Heck, if an army vet were to play through Battle Field 1942 or Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, I am darn sure they would be incredibly upset about it. Infact I bet they would be extremely angry about it. Morso than anyone who was affected by 9/11. Not only were more poeples lives lost in Wars, but they were lost in the fight for freedom, to re-enact their deaths directly, or indirectly is a great disrespect not only to the person and the poeple he knew but to our very own freedom.

Yet, I am sure as you all know, around 99% of the poeple who frequent these forums play war games that do exactly that, and they enjoy it.

So, when a game comes along like this, you have to view it from all perspectives. Personally, all though I know 9/11 was a horrible event, I have nothing against any game being made about it.

see theres a difference though

in war, the soldiers know of the possible outcome. they know what they're going into. they know they might have to kill someone. and they also know they might get killed.

the victims(and survivors) of 9/11 didn't know any of this. they were just going about their normal day and BOOM...their lives changed(or sadly ended).

War and a vicious attack are two completely different things.

Variation-XBA
07-27-2003, 10:27 PM
worst idea for a game...ever.....EVER....

Nameless00
07-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by hiter101

the people that fought in WWII chose to fought in it and knew the dangers that had it comin.

Do you honestly beleive war only affects those directly involved in it? What about the friends and family of the soldiers who lost their lives in WWII, and every other war? What about all the Jews who were tortured and executed in Nazi concentration camps? The game is no better or worse than all the War games out there.

MerimacHamwich
07-27-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Nameless00

Do you honestly beleive war only affects those directly involved in it? What about the friends and family of the soldiers who lost their lives in WWII, and every other war? What about all the Jews who were tortured and executed in Nazi concentration camps? The game is no better or worse than all the War games out there.
Exactly. And since when were all of the poeple in World Wars 1 and 2 voluntary soldiers? Maybe the first year or two were fought by professional soldiers but then the draft took place, not only in the US but in all of the allied countries. That is right, poeple were forced to fight and risk thier lives. They got a "Too bad" if they didn't want to.

-edit-
Also, I never said that I thought a game based around a tragic event was a good idea, all I said is that this is nothing new and I am not going to make a big deal out of it.

Kortiz
07-28-2003, 12:09 AM
I agree with you casper.......however, what about games like Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City?

"Hi, do you like violence / Do you wanna see me stick nine inch nails through each one of my eye lids?"

hiter101
07-28-2003, 12:40 AM

alright i understand wher eu are comin from but u dont see a game where a jew is tryin to escape an oven from a concentration camp now do u?

and the relatives of wwII and I soldiers knew that there was a risk involved in being a soldier but the familys of these people knew nothing its just a reguialr day and boom some guy wearing a turban from afghanistan that hasnt seen any technological advances since the wheel kills ur loved onesor hurts them in unimaginable mental ways

Frink
07-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Alright, this is probably one of the most offensive things in my life. 9/11 was a tragic event; I would never, ever want to play a video game about it. There is a difference between a game based upon war and a game based around a terrorist attack. It would be different if you were comparing a game based around concentration camps and a game based around 9/11.

I have nothing wrong with a game based around Operation Enduring Freedom, similar to that of a WWII game; it is based around a military operation. A war, an armed conflict where both sides know exactly what is going to happen.

The fact that some of you have nothing wrong with this disgusts me. Looking at these screen shots disgusts me, it brings back the feelings of what happened on September 11.

I'm going to go down what happened in my area on September 11. For those of you that don't know, I live on a military base. I went to school on September 11, not thinking of it any different than any other day. I hear about the first tower being stuck on the radio during gym, figuring that it was a small passenger plane that went off course; I don't think much of it. 2nd hour, I go to my Art class. I walk in and I see what actually happened, smoke billowing from the World Trade Center. I'm shocked, absolutely dumbfounded not really knowing what to think. Then, the rumors start, most of them later confirmed. See, the security level on the base goes from Real World Threatcon Alpha to Delta, Alpha being the least and Delta being the most. As the hours progressed, we rapidly went to from Alpha to Delta, something that I have never witnessed before. The fact that you are living in the area where the heaviest security measures must be enforced to ensure your safety is frightening. Millions of thoughts rushing through my head, students being pulled out of school left and right, the fear of my father leaving for God knows how long...it was hell. Serious hell for that day and several after. Full vehicle searches were done to get on base, backing the line of cars up for hours. It was frightening, the fear of the unknown.

Yeah, I wasn't directly affected by the planes themselves, but I was effected. My father did leave, for 4 months (shorter than what we expected) to undisclosed location, where we received the occasional email and telephone conversation. So that whole time period really screwed with my emotions and it's not something I want to be reminded of. I feel even worse for those in New York and the surrounding areas.

I'm usually all for people producing whatever they choose, whatever satisfies them. But this has stepped over the line, this is disgusting and I would be immensely happy if this production was stopped.

canadianboi3
07-28-2003, 01:59 AM
Plain and simply the most disturbing game concept ever. This better not go through.

Himji
07-28-2003, 03:45 AM
Ok, I've never been overly enthusiatic about the 9/11 tagedy. I feel there have been worse tragedies and 9/11 was slighty over enthused in the greater scheme of things.

But I do have morals and I do know that this game is just plain wrong. Deciding to make a game based around what is a tragedy just cannot be justified.

For those that are comparing this to a war game well, the two don't compare. One is a war, the other is a tragedy. One is about putting you in a fantasy situation (mean soldier fighting hoardes of enemy soldiers) and the other is putting you in a situation that I wouldn't wish upon my enemy (had I any). So I don't see the comparison.

Unfortunatly, this is just another sad case of greedy people wanting to cash in on this tragedy. They did it with mugs and t-shirts, now they'll do it with computer games and films. It just goes to show, every man has a price, even a dead man :|

CrazyCougar
07-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Game companies have no morals anymore, plain and simple. Its pathetic what companies will use to make a buck.

This idea is one of the most disgusting I have ever heard for a game. I and my family were personally and tragically affected by 9/11 and this just absolutely disgusts me. And those that dont think its such a bad idea, should be in the shoes of the victims or the victims families. Then maybe a different view would be shed.

Those Al-Queida sons of *****es should always pay for what they have done. They shouldnt be rewarded by having their terrorist act being played throughout homes int he world.

This is just f'in pathetic. Excuse my language but I am really ****ed off after reading some of the junk on here and seeing this game idea.

God be with all the families who suffered loss, whether physical or emotional, on 9/11. I swear if this even advances any farther I will become an activist to make sure this crap never hits retail shelves. This is where I draw the line on the non-moral video game publishers.

Casper
07-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting..all of the context of the site has been removed :p

mattgame
07-28-2003, 03:11 PM
C'mon people. Are the game publishers that desperate for ideas that they would stoop to this level? This will not happen I guarantee it! It is a gross idea and disrespectful one at that! There is no game out there that shows Jews being tortured and tested on like guinea pigs nor should there be a game that shows the swift and fatal torture that the 9/11 victims suffered. Anyone who supports this game is either Alqueda or some other form of terrorist. If someone gets killed in war they are heroes, the people in the world trade center were victims. Sorry, but there is a tremendous difference. Get real people there is other stuff out there to make a good game.

Kraft
07-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

I'm not sure what's up. I recommend sending Kraft-XBA a PM :)

Wtf? Why are you telling people to send me PM's? Forum admin is Jeremy, not Kraft. Kraft has a full plate as it is:(

MerimacHamwich
07-28-2003, 04:52 PM
I honestly think that you poeple are jaded becuase it happened in your lifetime. I garuantee you the poeple who lived through World Wars 1 and 2 and Vietnam had the same feelings as you, except the games weren't made within 2 years of the events.

Hermes Pan
07-28-2003, 05:22 PM
it seems to me that the bigger the tragedy and loss of life, whatever the reason, the more marketable an idea it becomes for a video game. can you imagine a soldier in WW2 having all his buddies blown to bits around him, in mortal danger himself suddenly stop and think, "hey, i bet this would make a great video game!". i know there were no video games back then, but you know what i mean.

anyone remember that big underground PC game years ago when you had to run a concentration camp as efficiently as possible?

MerimacHamwich
07-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Nope, but I remember the game Prisoner of War on Xbox.

Casper
07-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
I honestly think that you poeple are jaded becuase it happened in your lifetime. I garuantee you the poeple who lived through World Wars 1 and 2 and Vietnam had the same feelings as you, except the games weren't made within 2 years of the events.

Comparing WWI, WWII, and Nam to this is wrong...this is more like taking a Japanese plane and doing a Kamikaze into Pearl Harbor, while you are the soldiers on base trying to run away from the incoming planes and bombs. This is TOTALLY different and if you don't see it that way, don't call me or anyone else 'jaded' . You are the blind one for not seeing that.

MerimacHamwich
07-28-2003, 05:41 PM
That's the thing, I am not oing to single out any event in World War 1 and/or 2, I am encompasing all of the horrible tragedies that happened. Like Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the Jews all over Europe being persecuted by the Nazis and every single other atrocity.

I see many resemblences between World Wars 1 and 2 and Vietnam and September 11th. You must know that Al-Qaeda (Or however you spell it) were viewing the events as acts of war.

Casper
07-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Yes, but this wasn't war my friend...well, it was, but it was completely one-sided. They couldn't fight back, they were too busy doing their daily jobs in their offices. I see what you mean when you are comparing them too - i.e. the innocent civilians that were killed during those tragedies. But have you ever seen another game that you are the victim trying to escape from being trapped while under attack? I dunno...maybe it's just because I was so closely effected by this and it wasn't that long ago....but if this does go anywhere, I will be damned sure that I make a direct effort to stop this...if Bin Laden wants to go into business, it sure the hell isn't going to be by making this video game, he's the only twisted **** that I could see who would want to do this....

LynxFX
07-28-2003, 05:46 PM
And this is a mod for UT2k3. It isn't being published by a game developer. It won't be sold in retail stores.

Snoopy7548
07-28-2003, 06:07 PM
i understand why everyone might be mad. but it doesnt affect me. i really dont care. i mean, 9/11 was totally a tragic and really sad event...but seeing a game being made about it doesnt affect me at all. i probably sound mean (im not trying to), but you are such a hypocrit. you say that this game offends you, but at the same time, you're totally not bothered by games being made about pearl harbor or ww2. what about the men who fought in world war 2 or were attacked at pearl harbor, dont you think they would be offended if someone made a game about it? of course they would. but you, you just go out and buy the game and think its really cool. but you were never in that war...you dont know what its like. im sure that 20 years down the road, a kid will see this game and be like, wow this game is really awesome. but he can say that because he wasn't directly offended by the events of 9/11. he has no idea what it was like, just like you have no idea what it was like to fight in world war 2. i guess what im trying to say is, if you take offense to this, at least consider the other generations who may be offended by other games that you like...

Kortiz
07-28-2003, 08:22 PM
I really gotta ask though..about those who are mad about this and can sit back and play other games.....that do much more harsh things.

In GTA3, you start working for a druglord or some ish and while doing his dirty work you get to run around and hijack cars.......if you feel like it, you can shoot them or run over them with the car you just stole from them....WUWU! I have never played the game so i do not know how this game works...i do know that you have free reign to blow up anybody you want. It is all still violent.

I think if you guys are going to go against one thing, you really need to go against all violence. The only thing that you can really do, is not buy their game. I agree this is ignorant and shouldnt happen........but.......meh

DocHoliday78
07-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Fosho
I agree with you casper.......however, what about games like Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City?

"Hi, do you like violence / Do you wanna see me stick nine inch nails through each one of my eye lids?"

But GTA isnt based on an actual event that was a crisis. Sure anything you do in GTA could happen but its not scripted off of one event.

Koopa
07-28-2003, 10:10 PM

ww2 games are about soldiers fighting for freedom and killing nazis (the quintessential videogame villain). i've never seen a ww2 game that is insensitive to survivors of the war, concentration gamps, or families of soldiers or survivors. Battlefield 1942 has nothing about dodging drafts, or civilians hiding in bomb shelters during the luftwafte raids, or jews trying to escape from concentration camps

the 9/11 game is about innocent civillians being murdered about 2 years ago.

the 9/11 game is inappropriate and stupid because
1)its too soon
2) its about the murder of american citizens
3)the graphics look like crap
4)what type of crappy gameplay would it be? platforming? i can imagine it..jumping over burning desks and running past your dying coworkers, avoiding windows that lead to you falling out the skyscraper.
or would it be puzzles? push the block zelda-style to unlock the door to escape the burning building.
whatever it is, it'll be boring, bland, and distasteful.

im starting to wonder if this whole thing is a hoax...who could make such an obviously distasteful and crappy game, and expect it to sell?

MerimacHamwich
07-28-2003, 10:17 PM
As has already been said by LynxFX, this is a mod for UT2k3. There will be lots of shooting.

Jafo232
07-28-2003, 10:31 PM
This game is utterly disgusting. It is akin to having a game that depicts Hiroshima residents trying to escape fallout.

Why don't they just make a game where Chinese babies have to try to avoid the bayonette of a Japanese soldiers? Sure, Japanese soldiers used to throw Chinese babies in the air and catch them on their bayonettes but should someone make a game of it?

I don't care if the game had the same playability and graphics as HALO, I would not buy it.

What's next? Oklahoma Bombing "Escape"?

I understand it is a free market, but to make $$ off the suffering of INNOCENT people is the bottom of the barrel.

Casper
07-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
And this is a mod for UT2k3. It isn't being published by a game developer. It won't be sold in retail stores.

Proof? I saw that it was made using the Unreal Engine, but nowhere saying it was going to be a mod for UT2k3....don't think that's right, but it could be, what do I know....

And Snoopy - point taken. But also, let the WWII and Nam vets fight for those games...this stuff happened close to me and it's MY generation. So I guess I'm gonna be a hypocrite for wanting this to not be published...am I a dad? There's a big difference between GTA and this - this is reality, GTA - if that happened in real life - all of that - well, dam, but it didn't, so be it. There's a difference between fictional violence and scripted, realistic violence....this is the later. I just feel that the point of view is totally not even what should be coming out of this, but hey, if you guys want to watch someone jump for their lives and flop - so be it...I'll pass, thanks.

Kortiz
07-28-2003, 11:47 PM
I totally agree with how wrong it is Casper. I wouldn't pay 2 cents to play the game...I just think that there are other games out there that are way more violent and yet, we would even go to the lengths of saying those games were awesome in ever aspect. *shrug*

LynxFX
07-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by casper
Proof? I saw that it was made using the Unreal Engine, but nowhere saying it was going to be a mod for UT2k3....don't think that's right, but it could be, what do I know....
It was on the site, which I would gladly point out but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. :watchout:

Koopa
07-29-2003, 12:41 AM
im starting to think this is a hoax...its just too out there to be true..

remember that mothers against violent games sight..or something like that...where a bunch of "moms" said all gamers have bad grades and splinter-cell taught people to kill and E3 was a convetion for the devill and things like that...

idunno...

im just sayin this so that if it's a hoax, i get props for calling it first:D