PDA

View Full Version : DVD choppy?

Crazy Joe
12-14-2001, 11:55 PM
I've noticed if the XBOX is on for a long time and I try to watch a DVD, it'll play choppy at some parts and even freeze for seconds at a time. Has anyone else had this happen? It's probaby just overheated or whatever but I wanna make sure it's not just my machine

smack119
12-14-2001, 11:56 PM
you sure the dvd isnt scratched or dirty?? a know that my munch disc got a little dirty and the movies on it skipped.....could be the reason your dvd did it.... just a suggestion

Crazy Joe
12-15-2001, 12:11 AM
nah, it was brand new Planet of the Apes straight from the box, i cleaned it anyway after it happened(didn't work), the weirdest thing is I have never had any problems with games, only movies

smack119
12-15-2001, 12:13 AM
hmmm there was another post on here about that happening.....i only happens with movies? ? if so something may be wrong with your xbox... if games skip to maybe your lense is dirty

Crazy Joe
12-15-2001, 12:14 AM
i'll call tech support then i guess

Frostberg
12-15-2001, 12:15 AM
My Xbox works perfect as a DVD player. If the disc is fine and games play on the XBox, either the CD itself its the problem (try it out on another DVD player) or there might be something wrong with the DVD codec inside the add on adapter thing that plugs into the controller port. If you can get ahold of another one to test what the problem may be and then you can get a good idea of where the problem is.

smack119
12-15-2001, 12:16 AM
yeah... if they tell you to send it in, see if you can return it to where you got it instead....i heard MS takes a while to get it back to you. at a store you could just get a new one....although youll lose all data on your hd unless you put it to a card first

DT21
12-15-2001, 12:17 AM
Ign.com website said that Planet of the Apes movie locks up at chpt.16 or something like that. Hope that helps.

smack119
12-15-2001, 12:20 AM
nice find dt21.... maybe thats the problem

Crazy Joe
12-15-2001, 12:21 AM
Now that I think about it, I haven't really watched any other DVD's after my XBOX has been played for a long time, maybe i should do that some time :D

smack119
12-15-2001, 12:23 AM
some that i know work fine are... phantom menace (my first xbox dvd) ferris buellers day off ( i love that movie) summer catch and anywhere but here ( girlfriend came over) shrek.... those i know all worked fine with my xbox

Hugh_Jass
12-15-2001, 07:43 AM
If you're new to DVD you need to know that the DVD specification leaves a certain amount to interpretation. Not all discs work well with all players, though the market is maturing and getting better in this regard. Furthermore, the DVD media itself may have flaws. If the picture freezes, stops, or gets all blocky it could very well be a faulty disc.

For example, when "The Matrix" first came out on DVD something like 15% of the DVD players on the market were not compatible.

I have two regular DVD players, a portable DVD player, and a DVD-ROM drive in addition to the XBOX. I've had a few discs that wouldn't play at all (or played really poorly) on one DVD player but worked just fine on another. That's not what you wanted to hear, is it? Sad, but true.

If a DVD doesn't play on your XBOX I would do the following:
1) Try playing it on a friend's XBOX to see if they have the same problem.
2) Try playing it on a regular DVD player
3) Check on DVD forums to see if other people are having problems. I prefer DVDTalk.com but there are others.
4) Try a different copy of the same movie on the XBOX to see if the same problem occurs.

If you follow these steps you should be able to deduce if you have a faulty XBOX, the DVD media is bad, or that particular movie is incompatible with the XBOX. As I don't use the XBOX as a DVD player I cannot comment on its quality or compatibility from personal experience.