PDA

View Full Version : How is the NFL2k4 demo?

DocHoliday78
08-02-2003, 02:42 PM
I haven't gotten my Sept. issue of OXM. How is the nfl2k4 demo? Does it play the same as last years?

robnyack
08-02-2003, 02:46 PM
please....ESPN Football.

CrazyCougar
08-02-2003, 05:43 PM
The 2k4 or ESPN demo (whichever ya wanna call it, i like 2k4 better anyhow cause we all know how the ESPN series used to be) just makes my mouth water for the retail version. The graphics are definitely better and the gameplay seems just as good, if not better.

AlBoogy
08-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
The 2k4 or ESPN demo (whichever ya wanna call it, i like 2k4 better anyhow cause we all know how the ESPN series used to be) just makes my mouth water for the retail version. The graphics are definitely better and the gameplay seems just as good, if not better.

If you dont mind, could you please take the time and tell us what makes the gameplay better? What teams do they let you use? How much time/quarters? *Holds gun to your head* Talk damn it!

borka105
08-02-2003, 07:53 PM
a couple of questions:

1. are the players faces still really really light?

2. do the wr's drop a lot of passes like last year

3. when you are on offense and you snap the ball, can you see all your wr's?

4. is the game's pace still like last year's? or is it faster/slower?

thanks

-borka105

DocHoliday78
08-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by borka105
a couple of questions:

1. are the players faces still really really light?

2. do the wr's drop a lot of passes like last year

3. when you are on offense and you snap the ball, can you see all your wr's?

4. is the game's pace still like last year's? or is it faster/slower?

thanks

-borka105

Dude all you gotta do is change the camera view to see all your WR's. But i wana know if the WR's still drop the ball if you hit them as they are catching it becasue it was always a guarunteed drop.

Viper87227
08-02-2003, 10:29 PM
the demo is amazing!!!

Al...

The gameplay is better mostly due to the amazing animations. They players will do all kinds of crazy moves to catch the ball. LOL It makes me think I am playin max payne wiht all the diving around they do. Also, the tackels are amazing. One time I saw a guy lift up another guy, lift him over his back, and throw him onto the gound. Also there is a new play selection, but im nuetral on it. If I had to pick on id pick the old one, but there both good. Dont know all the teams, but to name a few.... Raiders, Bucs, Pakcars, 49ers, and a few others. For time, you get one three minute quarter and thats it.

borka...

couldnt see the faces, as you cant do replay in the demo. WRs havnt dropped the ball on me yet. Like doc said, you gotta change the view to see WRs... just press the R trigger.
The games pace is a bit slower, but I think that might just be because I am adjusting to the new play selection

MixMasta
08-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Stupid OXM didn't come today and now I have to wait till Thursday when I get back from camp.....damn you Mike Salamon!

AlBoogy
08-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227
the demo is amazing!!!

Al...

The gameplay is better mostly due to the amazing animations. They players will do all kinds of crazy moves to catch the ball. LOL It makes me think I am playin max payne wiht all the diving around they do. Also, the tackels are amazing. One time I saw a guy lift up another guy, lift him over his back, and throw him onto the gound. Also there is a new play selection, but im nuetral on it. If I had to pick on id pick the old one, but there both good. Dont know all the teams, but to name a few.... Raiders, Bucs, Pakcars, 49ers, and a few others. For time, you get one three minute quarter and thats it.

Sweet Viper. Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. I appreciate it.

Snake Eyez
08-02-2003, 11:25 PM
My team always leads the league is amount of dropped passes. It gets really annoying after a while.

No Fear 23
08-02-2003, 11:28 PM
i wasnt too impressed with the demo. but the graphics were good. i still like NCAA 2004 better.

CrazyCougar
08-03-2003, 12:05 AM
No NFL title can even come close to NCAA 2004. That is the best football game available.

Sorry guys I didnt get back online until now, i see questions were answered.

DocHoliday78
08-03-2003, 02:51 AM
I think i might try out NCAA 2004. I hate all ea football games but ppl keep talking about this one.

CrazyCougar
08-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Definitely give it a shot, you wont regret it. best damn football game ever.

canadianboi3
08-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Im hoping the online ranking system is better. I really liked Fevers ranking system, and how it had all the stats: Passing totals, rush totals, sacks etc. I hope this years has that. Hopefully you can use the new rosters online too. I have high expectations for this game. Can't wait!

borka105
08-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by No Fear 23
i wasnt too impressed with the demo. but the graphics were good. i still like NCAA 2004 better.

OMG, can the game look anymore like an n64 game?

it's pathetic in the graphics department.......

hell, that was enough to ruine it for me.... good gameplay, ok commentary, the worst football graphics I've seen in 4 years, and S-L-O-W gameplay......, plus NO LIVE!

I'll pass.

-borka105

robnyack
08-03-2003, 04:53 PM

hell, that was enough to ruine it for me.... good gameplay, ok commentary, the worst football graphics I've seen in 4 years, and S-L-O-W gameplay......, plus NO LIVE!

I'll pass.

um, what game are you talking about....Joe Montana Football?

DocHoliday78
08-03-2003, 04:59 PM
I believe he was referring to NCAA 2004. I do admit the graphics arent super but they are above average. But i really am not that much into graphics over gameplay.

Bakeman
08-03-2003, 05:18 PM
I went to Game Crazy in hopes of getting the OXM with the ESPN NFL demo. But they still only had the August issue :(

I may be getting a subscription again to OXM. Especially if they keep coming out with demos of games before they are released. That's what I like, a demo of something that I can't go rent.

AlBoogy
08-03-2003, 05:21 PM

I'll pass.

-borka105

Sorry borka, but I am lead to believe you have never played the game. Pathetic? I think not. It might not be up to xbox standards but it holds its own. The Only thing that is accurate is no live. Gameplay is great, commentary is good. Then there are all the features. Best Football game out there. Im looking forward to ESPN just as much as anyone else but NCAA is a bit better then past 2K games. I was there in 99 when DC launched, there in '00 when Seganet was supported for 2k1 and played the port of 2k2. Then played last years as well. NCAA is better, period.

borka105
08-03-2003, 08:04 PM
i have the game right now man........i am renting it using my game freedom pass.

the fact is that game looks horrible...... it's very very pathetic looking. The crowds are even worse than the N64 madden crowds......

everything looks bad about the game, you can't compare it to any of the nfl games in the past several years in terms of graphics....

the gameplay is good, but the pace of the game is way to slooooow for me. The commentary is average at best..... lol, nothing good about it at all.

nothing that I said was a lie, simply stated that a football game with horrible graphics and no live play is a NO BUY for me when we have ESPN and Fever which will be LIVE.......

I wanted to like the game, but it felt more like playing chess than playing an actual football game..... just way toooooooo slow and the animations seems slow when you press to jump in the air or do a dive....

-borka105

Ugunnalose
08-03-2003, 08:09 PM
theres a 2k4 demo?

borka105
08-03-2003, 08:10 PM
btw, i never said the the sega 2k -2k2 games are better than NCAA, it was strictly a graphics comparision..

the fact is that the game can have the greatest franchise mode in the world, and the most options ever seen in a football game.... but they are all pointless to me if the gameplay doesn't appeal to me and the game itself looks like cr*P.....

-borka105

CrazyCougar
08-03-2003, 08:22 PM
College and NFL are too different games speeds in real life. College atheletes arent up to NFL specs for the most part and the game reflects that very well. NCAA blows Fever and the 2k series out of the water gameplay wise and the graphics are fine. The game is extremely deep and a hell of a lot of fun to play. This game has even caught Madden as one of EA's great sports titles.

NCAA tops all NFL games to date, period. There's no if's, and's or buts about it. And this is coming from a HUGE NFL fan.

Heavens Gate
08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
I have NCAA 2004 and It's definately a great game. I can't compare college to pro though. Actually, this game is alot better than any NFL game out NOW but I think it will all change as of august when The new NFL games are released. This game is just so addicting. It just feels right. As far as the graphics go, I think they are kick ass. Nothing wrong there. I don't know, maybe some people need glasses. The graphics rock. The lighting is vastly improved, the intros are kickin, the commentary is spot on and the gameplay is flawless.

CrazyCougar
08-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Heavens Gate
I have NCAA 2004 and It's definately a great game. I can't compare college to pro though. Actually, this game is alot better than any NFL game out NOW but I think it will all change as of august when The new NFL games are released. This game is just so addicting. It just feels right. As far as the graphics go, I think they are kick ass. Nothing wrong there. I don't know, maybe some people need glasses. The graphics rock. The lighting is vastly improved, the intros are kickin, the commentary is spot on and the gameplay is flawless.

Agreed.

robnyack
08-03-2003, 08:57 PM
I did not buy NCAA 2004 this year, but I do have the 2003 version, and that is ONE HELL OF A FOOTBALL GAME!!! Top notch all the way around. No weak spots.

The only reason I did not buy 2004 is because it did not seem like there was anything different than 2003.

But 2003 was one of the best footballs last year. My order:

1) NFL 2k3 (barely)
2) NCAA 2003
3) Madden 2003

4) Fever 2003

borka105
08-03-2003, 09:39 PM

you really have to be kidding me.... have you even played an actual first party game or an exclusive xbox game?

how in the world can you say these are good graphics.... my god, go right now and SELL your XBOX obviously serves no use for you since PS2 graphics are good enough for you.

Or you must be licking EA's balls so much that you have no clue what good graphics actually are. For goodness sakes, put in nfl2k2 on the dc and it has better graphics than this piece of cr*P looking game....

It just infuriates me that you can even say that the game's graphics "rocK"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-borka105

Casper
08-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Borka, don't be so one-sided. You suck on MS' nutz so hard when pushing Fever and it's other games, and I laugh at you for the same thing. Don't get on the kid cuz he has different opinions than you do for a game...hell, I think that you're the biggest MS game fanboy on this site, but I still don't know you for that :D

borka105
08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
i have no problem if he has different tastes, but we are talking about graphics here......

you don't need to biased or like one company or another to see if a game has good graphics or not. To say this game has good graphics, is pretty much putting down many of the functions that the xbox has that this game didn't use.....

1. tons of jaggies

2. low poly count

3. horrible crowds.

4. horrible fields

5. no bump-mapping

5. wtf is wrong with the football!

-borka105

Viper87227
08-03-2003, 10:57 PM
borka...I don't know how you can let graphics make or break a game. IF i game has good gameplay, good graphics are a bonus, but i have never not played a game because of grafix, and they have never changed my overall opinion about a game.

Well I am sure NCAA 2004 sucks, it isnt because of its grafix. It is because collage football blows. You are entitled to you opinion, but I just felt I had to post my own

diranged
08-04-2003, 02:19 AM
is there first person mode in the demo, and if there is how is it. damn i want the new oxm.
:cheers:

CrazyCougar
08-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Diranged, there is no first person view on the demo. You get to see a quick clip but thats about it.

As for NCAA, the graphics are just fine in this game. I dunno what you are ripping apart Borka, but you aren't real close to being right at all. There is nothing wrong with the graphics in the game. This game absolutely rocks the whole way around. I've got about 40 hours under my belt in this game and will probably hit 80 by next week. This game has got Fever, NFL 2k3 and Madden by the balls and keps squezing harder each year. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that NCAA 2004 is the BEST! BEST! BEST! football game ever made.

Heavens Gate
08-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Thank you Casper and Crazycougar. I didn't come in here and bash someone because of their opinion. I think Borka is no different than Dream Theater.

Casper
08-04-2003, 09:52 AM
I'm playing Dynasty in NCAA 2004 right now...it's actually a dam good game.

CrazyCougar
08-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Same here Casper, I am actually in Season 2. 8-0 with PSU and 5-2 with University of Louisiana - Monroe (Alma Mater). Bowl games here i come for both teams!!!! Oh yeah, my sophomore running back is up for the heisman this season also...#2 on the list.

For those of you checking this thread for the NFL demo:
- No first person view included on demo
- All the playoffs teams from last year are included to play with
- You play one 5 minute quarter
- Graphics look great
- Playcalling overlay is goign to take some getting used to, I dont like it at the moment.
- Game seems a little sluggish at moments, but of course this is only a demo.
- Great potential for this game!

Now for those following the NCAA saga, GET THE GAME!!! It is the absolute best! Graphics, gameplay, and depth! Its all there.

borka105
08-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Thank you Casper and Crazycougar. I didn't come in here and bash someone because of their opinion. I think Borka is no different than Dream Theater.

lol, ok.

why don't you understand how black and white this is.....? This has nothing to do with opinions.

It's the basic facts. The facts are as I have listed that the game is an almost exact port of the ps2 game and doesn't come close to using the graphical capabilities of the xbox.

it has:

- bad crowds

-bad fields

- bad stadiums

- no bump mapping

-the weirdest looking football ever

I am not about to bash you on your opinion on whether or not you like the game or not because I did enjoy it somewhat, but what I do want is for you to admit that the graphics don't "rock" and aren't great.

no need to make me look like the villain here, heck, I've been here long before most of the people at XBA and have always spoken my mind. I feel stronger about this topic than any topic I've posted in a while..... I don't like people who sugar coat and say something is great or it rocks when it doesn't.

Does this game have better graphics than fever 2003?

Does this game have better graphics than NFL 2K3?

Does this game have better graphics than Madden 2003?

Madden 2002?

Fever 2002?

Nfl2k2?

all I want is an honest answer...

It has nothing to do with how much you like the game or how great the franchise or gameplay is. I just want to state my point.... that the game is an almost direct port and is no way near the graphical capablities of the xbox or any other football game released in the past several years.

-borka105

CrazyCougar
08-04-2003, 11:03 AM
There is nothing wrong with the graphics, adjust your setting on your tv as maybe its a little fuzzy or something. The graphics are just fine.

Casper
08-04-2003, 11:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with the graphics, adjust your setting on your tv as maybe its a little fuzzy or something. The graphics are just fine.

I agree...and just to maybe hush up the only hater in this thread so far...here's a nice hit for ya and time for me to get back into Week 3 with Miami...GO CANES

http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/san232s/hardfunnypics/stfufumble.jpg

:cool:

Heavens Gate
08-04-2003, 02:12 PM
You know what? The more and more I play this game, the more and more I think it is the best f-ball game to date. Yes , I hate EA for what it has done for Xbox support. But microsoft is inbedding IE in their software, not letting other companies making web browsers have a chance. There was a suit against Microsoft that they have to make IE a separate piece of software. I love playing this game with the classic cam. I played Madden 2003 after this and let me tell you, it plays like shizit. This game just feels so right. My girl loves it. I'm not much of a college football fan, but this game is making me one. That says alot about a game. It just draws you in. The interceptions are so cool as you can feel that your going to have a pick when the ball is in flight. I just position myself and press the Y button and I'm on my way. Another good thing is when you catch the ball on kickoffs or in play, you run immediately. There's no lag time in between. It's just so smooth. In madden when you caught the ball you had to wait a sec to move or to spin etc. In NCAA you move immediately. The transition is perfected to a tee. I love this game so much as to not want Madden this year. I'm going with ESPN and consider Fever after reviews and maybe a rent. CrazyCougar is right in every way. It's the BEST BEST absolute BEST f-ball game to date. PERIOD

i'M RUNNING THIS GAME THROUGH S-VIDEO. It looks fantastic!!! Hey Borka, maybe you should get a better TV and rid yourself of the RF adapter

Heavens Gate
08-04-2003, 02:18 PM

lol, ok.

why don't you understand how black and white this is.....? This has nothing to do with opinions.

It's the basic facts. The facts are as I have listed that the game is an almost exact port of the ps2 game and doesn't come close to using the graphical capabilities of the xbox.

it has:

- bad crowds

-bad fields

- bad stadiums

- no bump mapping

-the weirdest looking football ever

I am not about to bash you on your opinion on whether or not you like the game or not because I did enjoy it somewhat, but what I do want is for you to admit that the graphics don't "rock" and aren't great.

no need to make me look like the villain here, heck, I've been here long before most of the people at XBA and have always spoken my mind. I feel stronger about this topic than any topic I've posted in a while..... I don't like people who sugar coat and say something is great or it rocks when it doesn't.

Does this game have better graphics than fever 2003?

Does this game have better graphics than NFL 2K3?

Does this game have better graphics than Madden 2003?

Madden 2002?

Fever 2002?

Nfl2k2?

all I want is an honest answer...

It has nothing to do with how much you like the game or how great the franchise or gameplay is. I just want to state my point.... that the game is an almost direct port and is no way near the graphical capablities of the xbox or any other football game released in the past several years.

-borka105

Answers to your questions.

1. yes
2. no
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes.
6. no

mrmp3
08-04-2003, 03:04 PM
I've been playing NCAA 2004 for a couple weeks now and I'm gonna have to agree by saying this is the best football game to date. This game defintely doesn't have Xbox quality graphics, but they are still good.

Borka, your making it sound like the game has Madden 64/Kabuki Warriors type graphics. Yes the football is weird, yes the crowd sucks (all sports games that I've seen besides NHL Hitz have terrible crowds so it shouldn't be something new) and the grass is alright, but how often do you closely examine the grass or get a close up view of the ball? The default camera makes the ball and the field look just fine.

The character models and the helmets look a lot better this year. The bodies are in much better proportion this year. Most o-linemen are usually 2 to 3 times the size of the QB (in body mass, not height). As for the gameplay, no other football title can touch it. This has gotta be the first game where you can easily pick the ball. I hated games like Madden 03' where even if the reciever was no where near you the OLB, Safeties, and CB's would just randomly pick the ball or drop the ball. This year you press Y at the right time and in the right position and you'll get a pick. The game also runs at a much faster pace than last year. I remember (at least for the PS2 version) in NCAA 2003 the run game (especially the option) was sooooooooooooooo slow. This year it's fast paced and runs great. The dynasty mode is also awesome. You can recruit by state, top 100 picks, and prospects who are interested in your school. It doesn't get much easier finding recruits for your team.

So far (not including titles that are coming out this year) this game can't be touched by any other football title. Buy it. It is simply amazing and addicting. If your boycotting EA cause of their lack of support for XBL, then you are robbing yourself of playing the best football game out. Period.

Leviathon
08-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Honest answer here for ya.

Too early to tell. Really you don't get a chance to really play the game much. You get one 3 minute quarter and that's it. So far the graphics IMO don't look any better than last years, but not worse.

The Fields look fake, especially the grass fields...

The Stadiums could use work....

Why are the linemen (Off & Def.) so far apart from each other:watchout:

The Kicker animation on kick off is still the same. Does not look real. :eek:

Really you don't get much out of the demo to really get an idea of the game..IMO.

DocHoliday78
08-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Damn i didnt know that an all out fan boy war was gonna happen. I have been trying to rent the damn NCAA 2004 but its always out. Oh well, i am patient.

DZNUTZ
08-04-2003, 04:47 PM
doc..what up man...just noticed your ass is from the yay.
yo...shoot me a Live friend invite so i can kick your ass sometime.

borka105
08-04-2003, 05:54 PM
You know what? The more and more I play this game, the more and more I think it is the best f-ball game to date. Yes , I hate EA for what it has done for Xbox support. But microsoft is inbedding IE in their software, not letting other companies making web browsers have a chance. There was a suit against Microsoft that they have to make IE a separate piece of software. I love playing this game with the classic cam. I played Madden 2003 after this and let me tell you, it plays like shizit. This game just feels so right. My girl loves it. I'm not much of a college football fan, but this game is making me one. That says alot about a game. It just draws you in. The interceptions are so cool as you can feel that your going to have a pick when the ball is in flight. I just position myself and press the Y button and I'm on my way. Another good thing is when you catch the ball on kickoffs or in play, you run immediately. There's no lag time in between. It's just so smooth. In madden when you caught the ball you had to wait a sec to move or to spin etc. In NCAA you move immediately. The transition is perfected to a tee. I love this game so much as to not want Madden this year. I'm going with ESPN and consider Fever after reviews and maybe a rent. CrazyCougar is right in every way. It's the BEST BEST absolute BEST f-ball game to date. PERIOD

i'M RUNNING THIS GAME THROUGH S-VIDEO. It looks fantastic!!! Hey Borka, maybe you should get a better TV and rid yourself of the RF adapter

nope, it has nothing to do with my tv. I have a 24 inch sony flat screen with 3 digital comb filters....(brand new tv)

I figured out what the problem was though. I set my xbox dashboard to letterbox which made this game into wide screen format. I would think that would be fine, but it made the game look like crap.... As I posted earlier, everything looked really weird. So I went and changed it back to the "normal" tv setting in the dash, and now the game looks great.

guess this game wasn't meant to be run in letterbox format. That was the reason it looked so bad..... it hasn't ever effected any other xbox game I have, but I guess it really affected this one.

oh well, but now I finally get to see what this game is supposed to look like.

yes, I am enjoying it, just beat my rival Notre Dame 42-7. :)

-borka105

CrazyCougar
08-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Thank god Borka, cause you had me and a lot of other baffled on how you could say this wasnt a great looking game...LOL! Or great game period! Woot!

borka105
08-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Thank god Borka, cause you had me and a lot of other baffled on how you could say this wasnt a great looking game...LOL! Or great game period! Woot!

yeah, i was amazed too at how everyone was saying this game looked good, but on my tv is was looking like cr*p.

my bad, after 5 more hours of playing with MI, I am really enjoying everything about it.....

The game was almost unplayable with the widscreen graphics I was looking at, nothing looked right at all.

-borka105

Dr_J
08-05-2003, 12:20 AM
O....H.......................I.....O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heavens Gate
08-05-2003, 06:52 AM

yeah, i was amazed too at how everyone was saying this game looked good, but on my tv is was looking like cr*p.

my bad, after 5 more hours of playing with MI, I am really enjoying everything about it.....

The game was almost unplayable with the widscreen graphics I was looking at, nothing looked right at all.

-borka105

That happened to me once. I don't remember what game it was but it looked like shizit. Glad to hear you enjoy the game. I know I'm really enjoying it. You probably thought you were in the Twilight Zone hey? Everybody saying how good it looks and your running it in widescreen format. That's kinda funny though. Don't you all agree? Just out of curiousity, what team do you guys have as your default team when the game boots up. I have Penn State and sometimes switch to The Gators. I don't live in any of them states but I like the teams anyways.:cheers:

CrazyCougar
08-05-2003, 08:48 AM
WE ARE ........... PENN STATE!

WE ARE .................... PENN STATE!

WE ARE .............................. PENN STATE!

Casper
08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
http://rockabillytattoo.com/canes_pics/01_canes_collage.jpg

Go Canes baby :D

borka105
08-05-2003, 10:54 AM
It's all about the TERPS!!

Maryland all the way.............. My god they have like a zillion option plays, it's almost crazy. Try them out..... I swear, every other play is an option.

-borka105