PDA

View Full Version : Periphreals & Games

SiXXXeR
12-15-2001, 03:06 PM
PC Gamers are used to the trusty ol' mouse/kb combo for shooters; as of yet, I don't see that the XBox addresses the need for a similar setup.

This is troubling, as I think many PC gamers would consider dumping $300 into a console and not upgrading the main box so often, if only they could continue with their old habits. I never enjoyed Godeneye for N64 for lack of a comfortable control setup, and I don't see myself playing QIII or Wolfenstein on an XBox as long as the situation is the same.

So how about you "converted" PC gamers? Are there any of you out there? Have you been able to adapt to the two-thumbed approach of aim-and-shoot?

smack119
12-15-2001, 03:08 PM
to me the 2 sticks are just like a mouse, the right stick is the mouse(used for head movement) the left stick is like the keys for walking. i had no problem adjusting

The One
12-15-2001, 03:19 PM
Currently Microsoft has no plans for a Keyboard or mouse on the Xbox videogame console. Halo pulls off the controles on a FPS rather well on the Xbox I think. The Xbox is a console that will not need any upgrades like a PC and the Xbox really doesn't need a Keyboard or mouse I think since it has the Xbox Communicator. Just play Halo for a little bit using the Xbox controller, because I think you will find that it works really well.

XboxChump
12-15-2001, 03:51 PM
I smell a *fish*,I wont say his name.....

I am a avid Pc gamer,And i have allready have had this discussion(Hint).But anyways i think the control is pretty good for the most part on halo,but doesnt hold a torch to a mouse and keyboard,Its the best Combo for FPS...;)

Gdiguy
12-15-2001, 04:12 PM
i'm a pretty avid pc gamer myself... for action games, i think consoles (including, but not limited to, xbox) can handle 'em with controllers fairly well if the designers do it right... if consoles really want to start moving into other genres (RTS & sim-type games (sims, civilization 3, etc)), they're gonna need a keyboard & mouse... i couldn't imagine the pain in the arse it must be trying to play Red Alert on the playstation

Hugh_Jass
12-15-2001, 04:23 PM
I firmly believe that the Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander will come out for the XBOX whenever the first RTS appears in the title library.

http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?subid=22&site=10516

I doubt there will ever be a mouse or a keyboard for the XBOX.

XboxChump
12-15-2001, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I firmly believe that the Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander will come out for the XBOX whenever the first RTS appears in the title library.

http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?subid=22&site=10516

I doubt there will ever be a mouse or a keyboard for the XBOX.

That would be sweet for some RTS,I have always thought what they was going to do,Cause it would be rather hard to get villager's to crop farms an stuff with a thumbstick...:D .But i wouldnt think MS would make a mouse and keyboard,But ya never know.

dronezero
12-15-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by XboxChump

But i wouldnt think MS would make a mouse and keyboard,But ya never know.

I also don't think that Microsoft would make them, however, I wouldn't be surprised if a third party came out with them.

Hugh_Jass
12-16-2001, 12:48 AM
I doubt we'll see a keyboard and mouse from a third party unless they get the blessing of Microsoft. I don't think anybody wants to face the Microsoft legal team by selling unlicensed hardware for the XBOX.

rune holm
12-16-2001, 03:58 PM
offcause there´s going to be mouse and keyboard to the xbox
one: it´s cheap to produce
two: the pos2 got, so why not xbox
three: it would make surfing on the internet a hell of a lot easier. Just imaging chating whatout a keyboard-it would be faster sending snailmails!

Hugh_Jass
12-16-2001, 04:29 PM
You'd be chatting with the voice commander.

MS never said anything about using the XBOX as a browser.

rune holm
12-16-2001, 04:41 PM
that would be stupid: play games online but no surfing around!
besides if ms can make a buck on selling keyboards and mouses they gonna do it i think

XboxChump
12-16-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by rune holm
that would be stupid: play games online but no surfing around!

Its a game machine not a PC,People have a tendancy to confuse the two.I am sure the will in game chat feature's and text e-mail account's(Somewhat like tribes2).But the main reason to go online with a console is to play game's,Not surf the net!:eek:

Hugh_Jass
12-16-2001, 07:30 PM
Right. Surfing the net on TV is lame. The text is really hard to read. Web pages are designed for 800x600 these days and most people are going to be running at 640x480 so you'll have to scroll right and left as well as up and down.

The XBOX is a Next Generation console, not some throwback to WebTV.

monkeyman
12-16-2001, 07:36 PM
i still would keep the controllers not mouse or key board