PDA

View Full Version : Xbox System Link

Xorg
08-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I just bought a system link and me and my buddies tried to play halo but every time we set up a game the other xbox is looking for games but it never finds them:cuss: What am i doing wrong

Kraft
08-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you get the official Xbox system link cable? If not, did you get a crossover ethernet cable? If so continue on.

Make sure when you plug the cable into the back of the xbox that some lights around the ethernet port come on. if the lights don't come on, try the other end of the cable. If the other end works then you have a bad cable. If one Xbox's lights come on and the others don't no matter what you do... then that xbox has a problem.

Xorg
08-05-2003, 06:01 PM
I got the Official Xbox System Link cable and I dont think its the cable since we tried it with unreal championship and it worked fine but then I tried with halo again and it didnt work, i didnt notice any lights, but if they do come on then its fine right?

l Maximus l
08-06-2003, 12:36 AM
If the light comes on, then, you're all good...but, the key thing is to select "System Link Game" in the Halo menu...not the multi-player one... That is for one TV and one XBox.

System Link will allow you to connect two boxes together with two TVs, as you probably know. Just make sure you select the System Link option...one person creates the game, and the other XBox is at the "Searching for games" screen. Once the game is created, the other XBox should pick it up.

Also, just so you know, the "Official" System Link cable that you bought from Microsoft is simply a nice quality Crossover cable. If you want to hook up more than two XBoxes together and you're using a HUB, that cable will not work. You will have to use Ethernet (Patch) cables instead. Just thought I would share that with ya :)

Xorg
08-06-2003, 04:41 PM
thanks for the help, but I did pretty much everything maximus said except when the other xbox was searching for games it never found it and the other xbox was waiting for another xbox to join with a game already setup, all I have to do next is to check for the lights, but I dont think there is anything wrong with the cable since it worked fine with UC. Also if there a difference from the Halo in the original Box with the one in the GOTY box? just wondering if that was messing it up, probably not though

jelgiad
08-06-2003, 04:55 PM
that wouldnt mess it up, there is no difference between the two editions. we play linked w/ both all the time