PDA

View Full Version : Custom Soundtracks in a game

Reclaimer
08-05-2003, 09:39 PM
So I was wondering.. Do you think that sometimes the soundtrack feature can be a distraction in a game? This is why. I can only think of 2 action games that have the soundtrack mode, and I noticed something about it.
When I was playing Gunmetal with the soundtrack on, it didn't really bother me, and I thought it was cool to lay some metal death to my own music. Some of the level started off amist of a huge battle, so the songs seemed appropriate.
But then when I play Conflict Desert Storm, it seemed like a distraction, and I couldn't really keep my mind on the game. Almost like a hinderance. So I switched it back to the ingame soundtrack and all was well.
It's almost a requirement to play Project Gotham with the custom sound, so I guess this only pertains to the action games.
Does anyone else feel this way?

DocHoliday78
08-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Well it all depends on the game. With a strategic game like conflict i wouldnt wana hear Suberbeast playing.

Shadow20002
08-06-2003, 12:06 AM
That's true, when playing games with your own music could be terrible cuz it's make you really distract. :p

l Maximus l
08-06-2003, 12:23 AM
I can understand why some games don't have custom soundtrack support. Imagine playing Ghost Recon... And, you're sitting in a bush where you can just barely see an enemy with full zoom on your M-98 Sniper Rifle...The mood feels right...if he would just poke his head out from behind the tree he is stationed behind...suddenly, your target starts slowly moving...You aim! And, you're about to shoot.....and, all of the sudden, your XBox starts jamming the song "It's gettin' hot in here, so why don't you take off all your clothes! It is...gettin' so hot, I want to take my clothes off!" :D hehe

It just doesn't fly sometimes :D

Reclaimer
08-06-2003, 12:48 AM
This is why I don't have a problem with a lot of games not having the soundtrack feature. Which really frusterates me when I read a review here, and people complain that there is no soundtrack mode in the game they reviewed. "This game would have been perfect but it didn't have a soundtrack..."
Damn noobs.
Sometimes it just doesn't fit.

Gunmetal didn't matter, because there was no real point or implied suspense. Just get in and stomp metal bootie. That's it.

Case in point, we where playing GR split screen and my friend wanted to hear the CD he just bought. So we where listening to it on the stereo, and we both agreed that it was too distracting.

Trento52
08-06-2003, 01:41 AM
in practically all race games i like my own music. Not to long ago i bought this game tokyo extrem racer on dreamcast and the music was like japanese pokemon music! I then realised how good music was on the newer games. But usually alot of the really good games have good music that suits the game.

Nosferatu187
08-06-2003, 01:59 AM
well I really must say If I had custom music in anything.. It'd be racing games and maybe Unreal Championship because you just run around and blast f***s hah